Profile for SuperJenn > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 121

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

SuperJenn RSS Feed (South Florida)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Valentine
Valentine
DVD ~ Denise Richards
40 used & new from $0.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Oooh...love hurts., February 14, 2006
This review is from: Valentine (DVD)
Valentine is a great slasher-style flick done in the same style as Scream and those type of movies that dominated this genre for a while. And it's a fun movie too. 5 girl friends become the target for a killer cloaked in all black and a cherub mask. This is my favorite movie to watch for Valentine's Day. Denise Richards as Paige is my favorite of the characters. She's funny and sexy and does a great job with the part. I also liked that Marley Shelton's character, Kate, had excellent delivery with some of her typical dumb-blonde lines. The movie has plenty of funny parts to it, like the speed dating, Kate's scary neighbor, and the scene at the party with Paige and Brian to name a few. It also has interesting little elements woven throughout, like a touch of red in an otherwise drab room. The sets and costumes all convey this (if you don't believe me, just watch for Ruthie's sweater at the party...it's red) and that's really interesting to see. I've seen this movie no less than 20 times and I just love it. It certainly delivers the goods, but of course I've seen much scarier movies than this. It's just fun and not meant to be taken too seriously, much like the Scream trilogy. I also love to hate Daniel Cosgrove in this, as per my tradition of hating him since Beverly Hills, 90210 (most of you, however, will probably remember him best as the jerky frat guy who was the boyfriend of Ryan Reynolds' love interest, Tara Reid, in Van Wilder). He just does a great job playing jerk characters...it's like he's in his element. One thing that is quite shocking to me though is this sticker price. I paid $6 for this DVD 2 years ago and I have no idea why Amazon has it priced so highly now. I do truly adore Valentine and I highly recommend it to those that enjoy movies of this sort, however I also recommend that you look for a better price on it and then it will be a very, VERY worthy addition to your DVD collection. Happy Valentine's Day!

Happy Accidents
Happy Accidents
DVD ~ Marisa Tomei
Offered by Staci19
Price: $29.98
53 used & new from $0.26

5.0 out of 5 stars I accidentally and quite happily stumbled onto this movie..., February 13, 2006
This review is from: Happy Accidents (DVD)
And I absolutely loved it! Call it a happy coincidence if you will, but while I was making the morning coffee and waiting for my boyfriend to come home from his martial arts class, I saw that Happy Accidents was coming on cable, IFC I think but can't recall. I'd been intrigued by it thanks to some wonderful reviews right here on Amazon that I looked into after Amazon recommended this movie to me based on others I'd been looking into. This is a wonderfully charming movie and if you like romantic comedies, you'll be sucked into this one right away. Marissa Tomei is terrific and very heartfelt. At the beginning before she's met Sam, there's a particular scene that cracked me up that touched on her former boyfriends, perhaps because I could really relate. I don't know if the guys will totally love it, but my boyfriend, who tends to stay far away from movies like this, came home when the movie had about 30-45 minutes left in it, and he seemed to enjoy the portions of it he caught. But for all of us women, I'm one of the least mushy, sentimental people you'll ever meet, and I just loved Happy Accidents. Please make it an intentional viewing on your part...you will not be disappointed!

Shark Attack 3: Megalodon
Shark Attack 3: Megalodon
DVD ~ John Barrowman
15 used & new from $16.81

2.0 out of 5 stars It's so horrible it's funny..., February 13, 2006
This review is from: Shark Attack 3: Megalodon (DVD)
I'm compromising by giving this review 2 stars. See, this movie is so poorly done and just plain awful, yet because of how terrible it was it was incredibly funny. Let me warn you all - please don't spend money on this unless you truly do want another so-bad-it's-hilarious B-movie about sharks in your collection. For the rest of us, it's been on the Sci-Fi channel, where I'd definitely recommend catching it as you can always flip to another channel. But the last 30 minutes of this movie were by far the most hilarious so if you want to laugh at something as sick and sad as reality TV, turn it on. As other reviewers have expressed, this an awful, very badly made movie. The script just plain stinks, and the acting was just as bad. Most of the actors deliver their lines apathetically especially when they should be showing concern. The shark keeps changing in size over the course of the movie, all the footage of the shark in action is obviously ripped from documentaries of the real creatures. Plus, aside from the shark changing size the entire time, it's a different shark each time. But I really split my side laughing at the end of it. Someone jumps off the boat right into the shark's mouth, but it looks more like they hired the guys from Monty Python to help create this image for us. So, when you're in the mood for something super cheesy and want to laugh at probably one of the most poorly done movies I've ever been witness to, go right ahead, but save your money...trust me on that!

Dream a Little Dream
Dream a Little Dream
DVD ~ Corey Feldman
Price: $5.39
56 used & new from $0.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 80's gem with the 2 Coreys..., February 9, 2006
This review is from: Dream a Little Dream (DVD)
I'm not saying this is the best of the Corey movies, but Dream A Little Dream is definitely a worthy watch and makes for a great addition to your DVD collection. It's presented to us almost like a dream, which can make it hard to follow with quick cuts, but as the movie gets going, you suddenly realize what's going on. Well, at least I did anyway. This is a movie that will make you smile for so many reasons - seeing the Coreys, the 80's clothes/hair/music which will take you back to those good ol' days, and the uplifting storyline. You can't go wrong for the price either. Any fan of the Coreys or the 80's will definitely enjoy this movie. It's good fun and I readily recommend this movie. It reminds us that sometimes a change in our perspective is good and when we see things in a different light than we're used to, the bigger picture becomes much clearer.

Copycat (Snap Case)
Copycat (Snap Case)
DVD ~ Sigourney Weaver
Offered by Phase 3, LLC
Price: $9.82
113 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb acting in this suspenseful thriller..., February 8, 2006
This review is from: Copycat (Snap Case) (DVD)
Because of my complete obsession with learning about serial killers, Copycat has always been a favorite thriller of mine. An outstanding cast delivers the goods. Hunter & Weaver are fabulous in this, so to anyone that's a fan of either actress, you can't miss with this. The premise is simple...there's a serial killer in town who keeps changing his M.O. (that's method of operation for anyone not familiar with the term) is discovered to be copying the infamous crimes of serial killers before him. Anyone who enjoys learning about serial killers will no doubt enjoy this thriller as it talks about some of the most famous killers we've ever seen. It's a fast-paced thriller that you'll enjoy even when you can see things coming. I highly recommend it!

The Cutting Edge
The Cutting Edge
DVD ~ D.B. Sweeney
Offered by JMG Resale & Collectibles
Price: $9.99
226 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fingerpainting?!?! I LOVE this movie!, February 8, 2006
This review is from: The Cutting Edge (DVD)
The Cutting Edge is a movie I can't help but love. Cheesy but fun music throughout, and of course the storyline is very predictable, but there is just something irresistible about it. Kate needs a figure-skating partner. Doug can't land a position on any hockey team due to permanent damage resulting from an injury at an Olympic game. The 2 get paired together as a last resort by Kate's skating coach. It seems so silly...I mean, as I type this review, I'm thinking this is going off the charts on the cheesy scale. But if you love romantic comedies, this is one you will definitely watch over and over and over again. My cousin and I wore out her VHS of it back in college. Can Kate & Douglas achieve their dreams and win at the Olympics? Well, you'll just have to see, but give it a shot...it's a cut above the rest!

13 Going On 30 (Special Edition)
13 Going On 30 (Special Edition)
DVD ~ Jennifer Garner
455 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars You don't need a "play by play" to enjoy this movie!, February 3, 2006
13 Going On 30 was a movie that surprised me. Plot has been fairly well covered by the Amazon reviewer as well as all the other reviewers here...no need for a play by play. It caught me off guard because it was so sweet, yet funny. I think it was the Amazon critic who said it was like a girly version of the movie Big. Jennifer Garner is terrific in this. She's adorable and all her facial expressions remind me of the wonder and curiousity of a 13-year-old girl's world. I remember being that age too, and wanting to be all grown up. The movie reminds us all that we shouldn't be in a hurry to grow up and that all things will come in due time. It also reminds us to be careful what we wish for and to treat people the way you want to be treated. Don't think it's all about the morals though. It's so much fun, and I love when they do the Thriller dance. If you're not convinced, rent it first, but I loved it so much I had to have it on my DVD rack.

Slasher
Slasher
DVD ~ Christin Ackerman
Price: $15.86
38 used & new from $0.98

5.0 out of 5 stars I write car ads for people like this!, February 2, 2006
This review is from: Slasher (DVD)
Of course, not all of the clients at my agency are this wacked out. And actually, this is the first time I've seen an $88 car...we usually run $88 down, $88 a month for our clients or they have cars as low as $995 on the lot. What I love about Slasher is that it shows that it takes all kinds. I had a hard time not laughing at some of the customers that showed up on the lot. Folks, I write these ads for a living. I can tell you that if someone's advertising cars for as low as $88, that means that there is just one on the lot and I can tell you that 99% of us would not be caught dead in that car.

Ah, but the 1% that would...! Anyone will get a kick out of these customers coming in for that $88 car. I'm sure all our clients would split their sides laughing at this, and perhaps crying too. I know it's hard to move these units. I'm responsible for developing new creative to help guys like you sell more of them. Sales like this will surely bring them in with the Slasher. We run advertorials quite frequently for clients who have used the Slasher before and others with imitations which we must call a different name in order for our clients not to run into legal problems with it.

I don't think that only automotive industry people should see this. I happened to stumble upon it while reading about other documentaries. This one was recommended to me and I laughed. I had to find it. One of my assistants saw it was coming on IFC and taped it for our team to see if we could gain new perspective. For me, I gained the perspective that not all my clients are crooks, and that these guys are working really hard to be able to feed their families too. I could feel their pain. It's hard work being in sales.

I think anyone in the market for a vehicle, new or used, should check this out. People can only take advantage of you if you let them, and not all car salesman or dealerships are bad. I say shame on the car buyers for not doing their homework beforehand. And if your credit is bad, don't expect to get a low payment on your new car. Either prepare to pay a large down payment or make large monthly payments. Or consider a used vehicle for crying out loud! Half the customers that showed up for the sale in this documentary looked like they couldn't even afford a new pair of shoelaces! Research the cars you're interested in...the internet makes this astonishinly easy. Figure out what you can afford. Determine your credit standing. And live within your means.

And a special note to the Slasher himself, if you ever read this, boy do you have a tough job. But not once did we see you say anything rude to any of those customers and I applaud you for that. I would've lost my mind dealing with people like that. You had such a high energy level the entire time, all the while you were probably thinking of your family to survive those 3 sale days. It's also nice to put a face with a name. I just imagined some poor shmoe from the sales department being forced to walk around in some sort of mascot suit in the hot, hot sun. I guess it doesn't help being in a tux though does it?

In conclusion, this being by far the longest review I've written, I really do think that most people would be able to take something very valuable away by watching this documentary. To the salespeople on the lots: watch this now! Get it and have your entire dealership watch it together. It will give you a new perspective on your business which is never a bad thing. To the car buyers everywhere: you only get taken advantage of because you don't research what you're buying. This isn't a $10 t-shirt at the mall. This is a large purchase. You wouldn't just buy a new TV without checking if it has the S video input and all that other junk (reminds me...I need a new TV). You compare the brands and see who has the best quality with the features you want at a price that is most reasonable to you. That's what you should be doing when you buy a car. If you go into a dealership knowing as much as you can about the vehicle you wish to purchase particularly regarding prices and vehicle features, you will be better able to negotiate a deal that makes you and the dealership happy without, pardon the expression, taking it up the a**. I highly, highly, highly recommend this documentary.

Heartbreakers
Heartbreakers
DVD ~ Sigourney Weaver
Offered by discountedmediaoutlet
Price: $16.01
210 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Dah dah dah...I'm back in the USSR!, February 2, 2006
This review is from: Heartbreakers (DVD)
I have to give Sigourney Weaver major props for this movie. Heartbreakers is hilarious and part of the reason for it is her. Sigourney & Love-Hewitt are a mother-daughter con team. Mother & daughter seek out rich men, get them to fall in love with and marry mother (Sigourney) and then trick them out of their money. It's so sneaky & crafty. And the scenery is beautiful (even though I see it everyday since I live in South Florida). Love-Hewitt really works it too, but Sigourney steals the show, especially as she pretends to be a wealthy Russian woman trying to get Gene Hackman's old, chain-smoking-and-ready-to-drop-dead character to marry her. And Love-Hewitt wants to run her own scam which she's doing behind her mother's back. I don't want to give anything else away. Ray Liotta is also very good as Sigourney's first husband (well, the firs husband of hers we meet...she mentions at one point something about all 13 of her weddings were beautiful). It's a funny movie that points out that no matter how hard you try and fight it, one of these days love will catch even the most guarded of us when we least expect it to. It's worth it for the song Sigourney sings at the restaurant.

Family Guy, Volume Three
Family Guy, Volume Three
DVD ~ Seth MacFarlane
Price: $7.50
39 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I second whoever said "Best Family Guy DVD Out", February 2, 2006
This review is from: Family Guy, Volume Three (DVD)
It truly is the best of the 3 volumes to date. Not that I don't love volumes 1 & 2, but by volume 3, it seems that everyone involved in creating Family Guy has really gelled and found the right chord to strike each time. If you're a fan of the show, you've gotta get this one. Some memorable moments include the scene with Cookie Monster in the bathroom stall trying to "bake" cookies heroine style on a spoon, the family running off to Asiantown and the hilarious commercials on their TV (namely for Trix cereal..."you share now!"), a cameo by the Herculoids (which I remember watching as a little girl), the 4 Peters quartet and Peter smuggling Lois out of jail in his mouth, just to name a few. You can't go wrong with this collection, which also included a catchy slip of paper stating that the next volume was expected to release in Spring of 2006, with a nice disclaimer saying that was subject to change...but still! We've got more Family Guy on the way at least! HOORAY! Enjoy!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13