Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more
Profile for Adam Leffert > Reviews

Browse

Adam Leffert's Profile

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Adam Leffert RSS Feed (Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts)

Party Tyme Karaoke: Standards
Party Tyme Karaoke: Standards
Price: $14.22
63 used & new from $0.49

2.0 out of 5 stars so-so, July 24, 2007
Some of the tracks are OK, but they mangled "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" beyond recognition.

How To Live The James Bond Lifestyle
How To Live The James Bond Lifestyle
by Paul Kyriazi
Edition: Audio Cassette

5.0 out of 5 stars Live it up!, June 29, 2007
The author provides specific, actionable tips for planning and executing your "missions". Good, down-to-earth advice.

Awaken the Giant Within : How to Take Immediate Control of Your Mental, Emotional, Physical and Financial Destiny!
by Anthony Robbins
Price: $10.34
462 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Awaken the Giant Within: The Best Book I Ever Read, October 22, 1997
Awaken the Giant Within is the best book I've ever read. It offers a true paradigm shift to anyone willing to take a chance and consider another way of looking at the world.

Tony's thesis could be summarized as follows. The quality of one's life is equivalent to the quality of one's communication with one's self and with others. If you are satisfied with the world as you experience it, and you are satisfied with the quality of your relationships, then there's no need to change. However, if you want different results, you've got to change your actions. In order to change your actions, you've got to change your beliefs.

This is the part where most people get stuck. They treat each of their beliefs like a treasured possession. Over the past three years that I've been studying Tony's philosophy, I've encountered an enormous amount of resistance to the idea of changing one's beliefs. This resistance seems to stem from two attitudes.

The first attitude could be called "what do you know." I've spoken with hundreds of people about their lives, and have learned to identify what Tony calls "disempowering beliefs." These are simply ideas that prevent people from accessing whatever personal resources could be helping them achieve their goals. "I have a bad memory." "I'm no good at sports." "I can't speak in front of crowds."

At best these statements describe the person at the present time, but I refuse to believe that people are immutable. You might know what you haven't done, but no one knows what you could do. Of course, if you think you can't, you won't ever try. So the "what do you know" attitude suggests "I've been me my whole life. I know better than you what I can and can't do." That's your choice, and you live with the consequences.

Rather than repeat Tony's whole argument here, I will simply state that once you recognize the existence of empowering and disempowering beliefs, they are amazingly easy to identify. Then it simply becomes a matter of collecting empowering beliefs and disposing of disempowering ones. Tony shows you how.

This is where the second attitude of resistance kicks in. This attitude could be called "my beliefs are me." Often people agree that some of their attitudes help and some hinder their progress. But when you suggest that someone abandon an idea they hold dear, they act as if you are amputating a limb.

The key here is autonomy. When I sense fear on someone's part to this idea, I offer it to them as a choice. "If you want to keep all your current beliefs, of course that is your option. I'm here to suggest that you consider something new, however. If you wanted, you could look through all of your beliefs about yourself like you were cleaning your house. Polish and preserve your treasured possessions, but hold a yard sale for the old junk that's cluttering your mental attic." Again, Tony shows you how to do this.

Please send me email if you'd like to discuss these or other ideas. Also check out my web site at [...] for more information on business consulting, software development, and more book reviews.

You might wonder why I've approached this topic in a sort of backwards way, defending Tony in the process. It's because I'm hoping to sway the "fence sitters." Those people who respect my opinion enough will just buy the book and read it. Those who don't like this sort of thing will pass it up. But I'd like to entice the skeptical readers to give it a shot. As Tony would say, "Only you know who will miss out if you don't give it a try."

One final note on the book. The first few chapters are not the best, so stick with it. Also, resist the urge to respond to the ideas you've heard before with "that's obvious." Much of the power of Tony's ideas comes from taking them very seriously. Everybody talks about this stuff. Almost no one takes consistent action based on these principles.