Profile for Buciumeana > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Buciumeana RSS Feed (Roseville, MN, US)

Anker 2nd Gen Astro Mini 3200mAh Lipstick-Sized Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air 2 Mini 3, Samsung Galaxy S6 S5 S4 Note Tab, Nexus, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, PS Vita, Gopro, more Phones and Tablets and More (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great power backup, not quite as compact as it looks, March 3, 2015
My iPhone 4S seems to be approaching the end of its battery life, so I needed a backup for a trip where I would be relying heavily on Airbnb and Uber and other transportation apps. This little unit fit right into an inner jacket pocket and I used it whenever the iPhone battery fell below 50% (meaning a low-battery warning was probably imminent...). I got a couple of recharges out of the Astro Mini before having to plug it into an outlet. Performance might have been better if I'd had time to fully charge and discharge it a couple of times before the trip. The Mini is definitely bigger than a lipstick, however, so it would not have fit in the fanny pack I use as a travel purse. Also, I had to carry along my 4S charging cable with the old-style 30-pin connector. I was able to jam it into the little Anker carrying bag along with the Mini, although that added more bulk. I also had to tote along a power adaptor, which doesn't come with the Mini, but at least I was able to leave that in my room. Overall, I was pleased with this purchase, and look forward to using it with a more modern phone.

Everything Burns
Everything Burns
Price: $4.99

1.0 out of 5 stars No, thanks, February 1, 2015
This review is from: Everything Burns (Kindle Edition)
I tried this book because it was free, but gave up after 5 chapters. The writing is pedestrian and the "suspense" consists of constant references to the narrator's love-hate relationship with fire. This strikes me as an effort to generate Stephen King-style horror (we're all afraid of fire, right?) without King's literary gifts.

Beethoven: Anguish and Triumph
Beethoven: Anguish and Triumph
Price: $22.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Five stars for the book, one star for the Kindle edition, January 10, 2015
A wonderful book, but the Kindle edition I received is terrible. I don't know if the problems have been addressed since my purchase in October, but it's not indexed, so I can't search in it and can't use it as the reference I had hoped for. Also, there are a lot of footnotes, and it's annoyingly easy to touch one accidentally and get taken to the back of the book, where I have to go through some machinations to get back to the page I was on. I bought the Kindle edition to avoid straining my arms trying to hold up an 1100-page book, but it looks like I'll have to order it again in print.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2015 3:59 PM PDT

Time For Three [+digital booklet]
Time For Three [+digital booklet]
Price: $9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Energy and originality, July 27, 2014
I had the good fortune to hear these guys from a stage-side seat at the Dakota Jazz Club in Minneapolis this month. The audience was full of classical aficionados and string players and was very appreciative. It was the first time I'd heard T43 and I became an
instant fan. It doesn't bother me that the trio isn't always center-front in this album. I'm playing it now and the energy and originality I heard live are all there. I'll probably buy some of their earlier work as well.

Chemex 3-Cup Coffeemaker with Glass Handle
Chemex 3-Cup Coffeemaker with Glass Handle
Offered by Healthy Home and Kitchen
Price: $33.15
18 used & new from $32.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, April 6, 2013
I hadn't used a Chemex in years and was happy to see they now come with a glass handle...so much easier and more elegant than the wood collar. I only make a cup or so at a time, so my only regret is having to use an entire filter for just one cup. I plan to see if the filters will compost once the weather warms up.

Kenmore HEPA Filter for Canisters KENMORE part #86880
Kenmore HEPA Filter for Canisters KENMORE part #86880
Offered by Saras Vac Shack
Price: $7.50
5 used & new from $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars It fits, it works, August 8, 2012
The only minus is the ambiguity of the little arrow showing which side goes down. Do the words "air flow" mean the origin of the air flow or the direction of the air flow? After a Web search on this question, we installed it with the arrow pointing up (toward the cover). All good so far.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2013 7:18 PM PDT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, December 23, 2011
The company that installed my 87-year-old mom's furnace and Aprilaire refused to make a house call to replace the filter and said she'd have to drive 10 miles to their office to get one. Even though her humidifier is now a "legacy" product, I found this item on Amazon, placed the order and it was there the next day. I followed the instructions and installed it myself.

Helen's Asian Kitchen: Easy Chinese Stir-Fries
Helen's Asian Kitchen: Easy Chinese Stir-Fries
by Helen Chen
Price: $14.19
99 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good basic wok cookbook, February 2, 2011
Nothing fancy in this book, but the ingredients are easily obtainable and there are several recipes I'd make again. I do prefer my old Jean Yueh cookbook, which is out of print (1979).

Sennheiser RS120 On-Ear Wireless RF Headphones with Charging Dock
Sennheiser RS120 On-Ear Wireless RF Headphones with Charging Dock
Offered by Classy Outfit
Price: $89.99
399 used & new from $63.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well, December 21, 2010
I have a cheap, noisy treadmill, and after digital TV came to our area, I needed a new way to listen to the TV audio while working out. This set works great for my purpose. My only complaint is that the headphones are big and clunky, and if I bend over they tend to slide off. The charging cradle is convenient, although the headset sometimes slips off the contacts unless you extend it to its maximum length and kind of prop the earpieces against the sides of the cradle. The controls are convenient, range is good and the sound is lots better than my tinny TV speakers.

The Death and Life of the Great American School System: How Testing and Choice Are Undermining Education
by Diane Ravitch
222 used & new from $0.55

5.0 out of 5 stars The emperor has no clothes, March 28, 2010
Ravich understands the history and the political context of the current school "reform" initiatives she once helped to promote. She's passionate, logical and meticulous in laying out the case for rejecting them now. Testing and school choice do not increase student achievement and they are undermining the very goals of public education in America. This is the book to read if you don't understand why anyone would object to closing "failing" schools, firing teachers and turning kids' education over to private enterprise.