Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for Kenneth B. Frank > Reviews

Browse

Kenneth B. Frank's Profile

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kenneth B. Frank RSS Feed (Baltimore, Maryland USA)

Maxfield Sea Salt Caramels Holiday Fun Gift Box - 1 lb
Maxfield Sea Salt Caramels Holiday Fun Gift Box - 1 lb

1.0 out of 5 stars Stale or freezer burned. No good., May 4, 2015
I got a box of these as a gift during the holidays and they were absolutely delicious. So good that I rationed myself to one or two a week to make them last. Last week when I looked around to buy them again, they were really scarce, so I was really excited when I saw this listing on Amazon. When I got them, however, it was obvious the minute I opened the package something was wrong. They looked almost freezer-burned, but certainly not fresh.

I figured maybe they were just a different batch or something, but when I tasted them (I tried a couple) it was obvious they were either stale, frozen and thawed, or weren't right for any other reason. Amazon of course processed my return instantly, and I'm sending them back. I see another reviewer had the same experience. Stay away.

BTW, I don't remember ever giving an Amazon product a 1 star review.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Very frustrating, May 26, 2011
My original review is below, including my update after talking to customer support. But I actually used the unit today and found a much bigger problem than any of the others: the distances were WAY off. Most of the time it was over 10 yards short. I verified this against the laser markers on the course, and also my friend had a rangefinder. This is my home course, so I know the laser distances on sprinkler heads are right, but the Upro MX was not even close.... This is a far more serious problem than anything else. Also, another friend of mine who got one of these has the same problem I and others have reported with the usb connection-- it is very loose and is hard to connect properly. I think this product needs more work. Very disappointing.

My prior review:

All the comments by previous reviewers are absolutely correct. I can download a free app on my iPhone and get the same functionality this device offers now. The real value is in the functionality which is not available-- pro mode and associated features.

It is inconceivable to me that Callaway would have released this product without ensuring this functionality was available. All that does is make people angry and provide a device which does nothing more than what is available for free on every other product.

Although I'll reserve judgment, I have to say that my initial impression is the response of the touch screen is somewhat sluggish and quirky. For example, when I went into settings to increase the backlight level, each time I tried to drag the slider to 100% it would appear to go to the extreme maximum setting but the highest I could get it to register was 90% and sometimes less. Then sometimes the backlight just turned off and I couldn't get it back on.

Scrolling lists is also a real pain. If you have an iPhone you know you can swipe a list up or down and it scrolls. Not this device. If you swipe it up or down it moves 1 entry. If you touch the bottom of the list and hold it and swipe up it goes only one page and sometimes it actually goes backwards. So scrolling through a long list becomes a real chore.

Finally, so far I haven't been able to get the touchpad to do anything. Maybe it only works in the modes which aren't available yet, but if not it seems to be non-functional.

As I said I'll reserve judgment on this product until the full functionality is available but it is a big disappointment that Callaway released this so half-baked. My previous uPro (which I can't seem to find) is much better so far. But if everything is made available quickly and things work smoothly it should be an improvement. If not, its going back... soon.

Callaway, are you there?

UPDATE: I also posted a question on the Callaway website, and this morning got an email from their customer service manager apologizing and saying they were working on the problem. I actually called him and he called me back and was very open about taking responsibility for the problem and said he was aware of the level of frustration and disappointment it was causing with the customers. He said their technical folks were going to post a more detailed message, although he couldn't give a date when this would be fixed. I was impressed that he called me back and that he was so forthcoming; hopefully this will blow over....

SONOS CONNECT Wireless Receiver Component for Streaming Music
SONOS CONNECT Wireless Receiver Component for Streaming Music
Price: $349.00
36 used & new from $299.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply astounding, November 13, 2009
Haven't written a review before, but just had to for this. I bought one of these to test it before buying more-- I have a large house with 5 or more rooms nd 3 outdoor areas where I want to distribute music. I also downloaded the iPhone controller software to use with it.

I've been involved with home automation easily for 25-30 years, and I can honestly say this is the best product I've ever used. It worked flawlessly out of the box, set up was amazingly simple, and the breadth of control and variety of music sources is beyond what I had any idea would be available.

The iPhone app is terrific too-- the interface is great and the response is INSTANT, so when you change the volume, balance, etc., it is more responsive than my native remotes! The thought of everyone in the house who has an iPhone being able to choose what they want to listen to in any room, or being able to adjust volume, etc. from anywhere is really mindboggling.

Although this gear is not exactly cheap, it is far less expensive than anything else with this capability, and I highly recommend it. You won't be disappointed.

Easy Star's Lonely Hearts Dub Band
Easy Star's Lonely Hearts Dub Band
Price: $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A definite winner - I listen to it all the time, May 25, 2009
If you're familiar with Easy Star's history, you will totally get this album. If you're not, this record is a great place to start.

This is their third release of works that cover an entire highly acclaimed album by another, non-reggae, artist. That is a delicate tightrope to walk, but in Lonely Hearts Dub Band, as in their past efforts, they totally succeed in producing something that is fresh, exciting and distinctive on one hand, and assiduously true to the original on the other.

Because the songs on Sgt. Pepper are so well known and played so often, it would be easy to hear the similarities and think that's all there is to it. But that is the beauty of what they have done: if you listen a little more closely, you will not only hear a reggae beat, but you will hear a dimension that adds real flavor to these wonderful songs without distorting them or resorting to gimmicks.

After describing Easy Star's two prior covers, a recent review in the New Yorker said "Now [Easy Star]'s made the big time with the new album... Lonely Hearts Dub band has charted, and for good reason. Even Beatles haters will find joy in these songs."

So will you.

Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation)
Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation)
3 used & new from $242.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful first generation product, June 5, 2008
Let me start by saying that I love the Kindle and think it is the beginning of a revolution in reading. It has a few annoying quirks and the software is a little limited, but all of those things are totally overshadowed by what it does and how it does it.

First of all, reading on the Kindle is a pleasure; you have to get used to the location of the previous and next keys, because you can very easily press them by mistake, but reading is pretty much like reading a book.... except of course you can change the font at will. The momentary flash when pages turn takes some getting used to but one is easily accustomed to it.

The wireless operation is great for finding and downloading reading material and (once they figure out the software) will be good for basic web surfing. The fact that it plays music and audiobooks is a big plus too. The lookup capabilities are great, and they have a neat experimental service where you can ask a question and get quick answers from live humans. I love that.

Personally even though I may read a book on the Kindle because it is much more convenient, if I really like the book I buy the hard copy too because I want to have it in my library. But I've read a bunch of things that I was happy to just read on the Kindle.

I also use it for personal things. I am a lawyer, and I often transfer research materials and briefs to the Kindle to read when I'm not able to use my computer. The fact that I can cut and paste from those documents to my computer is very useful.

I wish there were better ways to organize materials-- at this point you can only group things by books and periodicals. You should be able to create your own categories and subcategories. And I think the navigational tools need to be improved; there is no embedded relationship to actual pages of a book.

But these are nitpicks. It is a terrific first generation device and I would unhesitatingly recommend it to anyone. Buy it, you'll love it.