Profile for Jerry Saperstein > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 484

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jerry Saperstein RSS Feed (Evanston, IL USA)
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
BikeMaster Eyeball Mirror 1 -1/4" 600209
BikeMaster Eyeball Mirror 1 -1/4" 600209
Offered by Chrome World
Price: $8.50
16 used & new from $3.77

5.0 out of 5 stars More than merely please. I use these on the back of a cell phone case for framing selfie interview videos., June 1, 2015
I use these on the back of a case holding a Samsung Galaxy S3 to provide a rough approximation of the field of view when I do selfie videos. There are just the right size for that purpose.

They're great. The mirror, whatever it may be made of, is crystal clear.

The adhesive on the back holds well to the plastic used in the cell phone case.

And they are so inexpensive, if they fall off, I'll happily replace therm,.

Vermont American 12374 3/8-Inch Titanium Drill Bit
Vermont American 12374 3/8-Inch Titanium Drill Bit
Price: $11.51
16 used & new from $6.17

5.0 out of 5 stars If the dull quickly, I will amend this review, June 1, 2015
I bought these for drilling through 1/8th inch or s aluminum. So far they are working well. I run them at about 600 RPM on a small drill press and haven't experiencing any binding or other issues. I have several hundred holes to drill through relatively thin metal nd other materials.

I'll be interested in seeing how long these drill bits remain effective. If the dull quickly, I will amend this review. Right now thoguh they seem to be a good value.

Jerry

Heavy Duty Roller Shower Curtain Rings, Polished Chrome Clipperton RollerRings®, Set of 12
Price: $8.02
3 used & new from $6.27

5.0 out of 5 stars One of those little things that mean a lot for someone with shoulder mobility problems, June 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The tears are taking their toll. I did not heal well from my rotator cuff surgery and my right arm has limited mobility. With the plastic rings we formerly had on our shower curtain, it required a bit of careful handling to pull the curtain closed. A small thing, but annoying.

With these rings, however, I can simply pull and the rings give the curtain a smooth ride without binding.

As I said, it is a small thing, but creature comforts small or large are always welcome.

Construction seems to be first-rate. Putting the rings on was simple and fast.

I recommend these to anyone with shoulder or arm mobility issues.

On Stage MSA9505 Posi-Lok Telescoping Mini-Boom
On Stage MSA9505 Posi-Lok Telescoping Mini-Boom
Price: $18.95
5 used & new from $18.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Poor threads on mounting socket hurt this product, May 31, 2015
The build quality of this product leaves a little to be desired. It took far too many attempts to screw this onto my On-Stage mic stand. I had to be extremely careful since the threads on the boom mount are imperfect. The mount does not simply screw on: you have to get it at just the right angle, lest you strip the stud on the mic stand. Not good and I noted from other reviews that I am not alone in encountering this problem.

The "Posi-Lok Clutch", however, is great. It grips securely and retains its position. The arm extends easily and also maintains its position.

This would be an outstanding product if the socket threads were better done. You have to exercise way too much care when you are mounting it on a stand.

Jerry

Hola! HM-MTH Microphone/Music Stand Tablet Holder - Fits MOST Tablets!
Hola! HM-MTH Microphone/Music Stand Tablet Holder - Fits MOST Tablets!
Offered by Worldwide Specials LLC
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-designed, well-made, extremely versatile - and a real bargain at the price., May 30, 2015
This is a great device. It is well thought out, very solidly constructed and extremely versatile.

The manufacturer doesn't seem to mention this explicitly, but you can mount the tablet holder itself on a standard microphone stand adapter. The tablet can then swivel up and down in a limited range.

By attaching the tablet holder to the included mount, a whole universe opens. There's a devilishly clever adapter that will fit any tube from about a half-inch. Tighten the rubber-tipped screw and the pole is pushed into a foam backing. You can make this as tight as you want.

The system for holding the tablet is clever. Just slip two corners between the bumpers on either end,slide them snug up against the tablet and your done. I'm using it with an Asus TF300 and it fits fine. But I do have a quibble which has more to do with the Asus design. I have to give a wiggle there, make a skooch here to keep from covering p the power switch and headphone port.There isn't much leeway for adjustment on the mounting bracket. This is the price of keeping things simple. This causes me a few extra moments of effort, but it truly is a quibble.

The arm projects out far enough that you can tilt the tablet way back or way forward,. You can tilt and swivel every which way.

I obviously love this product and consider it to be a real bargain.

Jerry

Your Band Sucks: What I Saw at Indie Rock's Failed Revolution (But Can No Longer Hear)
by Jon Fine
Price: $20.62
59 used & new from $12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting memoir/history, though far from compelling, May 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Jon Fine reminds me of me – before I turned 18 or so. Arrogant. Self-assured. Opinioned. Knows it all. Gotta have the last word – on everything.

Initially, I had the squeezed in-the-middle-seat next to a loquacious blabbermouth feeling, hearing every detail of an ordinary lfe pronounced as if it each moment were the Second Coming.

In fact, the book settles into an unexciting autobiography of an unexciting guy living an unexciting life in the heat of the indie rock movement.

It’s that last part that gives the book interest. Fine was there. And hwile he didn’t make history with his obscure bands, history was being made.

There’s lots of inside baseball stuff here, about how indie bands, formed, played, toured, cracked up and dissolved. It’s interesting reading though not Earth shaking.

All in all, a fair read for a quiet weekend even if the author is an egoist of the first rank.

Jerry

(50) Tyvek CD / DVD Disc Sleeves With Flap & Window #CDIYWF - Tyvek is Tougher Than Paper!
Offered by Best Sellers Web
Price: $10.88
3 used & new from $6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars These sleeves have a "cheap" feel to them and are oveerpriced in comparison to paper sleeves., May 20, 2015
These are very cheap Tyvek sleeves. The Tyvek seems thinner than in other sleeves I've used, but is tear resistant. The sleeves have a slick, somewhat "slimy" feel, though this doesn't ikmpinge on their utility.

Overall, I am not imkpressed. Heavy paper sleeves are the same price for twice as many - and taht's what I'll be using in the future.

InStyler Ionic Styler Pro Ionic Hot Brush and Ceramic Flat Iron, Purple
InStyler Ionic Styler Pro Ionic Hot Brush and Ceramic Flat Iron, Purple
Price: $59.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Based on limiterd etsting, the product delivers on its promises., May 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Well, I've had the lesson reinforced once again: my very significant other just isn't into gadgetry.

In her limited service as the designated test subject of this device, she opined that the device worked. But truth be told, her hair is essentially naturally straight and she had been to the stylist last week. As for curling, it wasn't instant and her patience is limited. But she said the device was pretty easy to handle.

Our granddaughter was delighted to sit for some testing and hair was straightened and curled to some extent.

So, from the admittedly limited testing, it seems like the product is well-suited to the purpose.

Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life
Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life
by William Finnegan
Price: $17.68

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected. More a memoir of a surfer, rather than a book about surfing., May 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This isn’t a bad book. It’s just not what I thought it was going to be. From the description, I thoguth it was going to be a combination of Ken Kesey, Hujnter S. Thompson and Tom Wolfe.

It isn’t.

It’s the life story of a guy who is mad for surfing. It’s well-written, but not at all engaging to me.

And that is entirely a matter of personal taste.

This is essentially biography of the writer’s life, his travels and his obsession with surfing. I suppose if you’re interesting in travel and surfing and learning the intimate details of this particular writer’s life, it could be an interesting read. However, I am not interested in any of those things ands found it rather tedious.

Jerry

Bora Drill Press Vise Bora 551027 - The Sturdy, Quick Release Clamp that Attaches to Your Drill Press Table and Holds Your Material Fast for Easy Drilling
Price: $31.09
3 used & new from $27.05

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful, highly utilitarian small drill press vise, May 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A couple of weeks back, I purchased a small 8 inch drill press for some light work and was considering purchasing a vise when the opportunity to review this product arose.

This a very well made product. The cast aluminum frame is very robust and moderately heavy. The assembly of the traverse bars, long screw and handle is well-done, with closely fitted pieces and no rough edges. The screw turns easily throughout its 4 inch range and there is a quick-release button on the screw. Press it down and you can move the screw back and forth without the need to turn it. The quick-release button isn’t foolproof, though: you have to keep the screw straight, otherwise it will bind. The handle at the end of the screw can be rotated to 90degrees and used as it were a crank handle.

The jaws of the clamp are fitted with a rubbery material that has a little give to allow you to tightly clamp the material at hand. The jaws open to a full 4 inches – I measured the distance.

For what I need it for – light projects – this is a very nice vise that does what I need it to do.

You do have to supply your own mounting hardware.

In all, a nicely done product. I like the quick-release and rotating handle features in particular.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20