Profile for Teri Hack > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 73

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Teri Hack RSS Feed (oregon)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Phoenix Rising: A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Novel
Phoenix Rising: A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Novel
by Tee Morris
Price: $7.99
92 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Times Inside, July 21, 2011
Ohh Philippa I love your brain!
The characters in Phoenix were so complex in ways and so awesome. I loved the detailed steampunk and the world building. As the book progressed I could not put it down. I ate up the pages in one whole long night..er..morning leaving the kids to fend with toaster waffles and juicy juicy.
Steampunk is such an interesting genre for me. I love the detailed description and of course the clothing!
While I personally would probably not wear it I love the rich attire and then there is the dialog. The dialog in steampunk has all of these new words to me, wiki has my homepage.
The aspect that I loved most from Phoenix Rising was the fact that Eliza totally took the scene, the initiative and the action in the book. The male character Brooks, was more reserved and not as strong willed as most male characters in steampunk, so I do love my ladies who are worth their salt in life and disturbance.
Need some steam?! Get a Phoenix.

The Dark City #1 (Relic Master)
The Dark City #1 (Relic Master)
by Catherine Fisher
52 used & new from $0.10

4.0 out of 5 stars A Dangerous Dystopian, June 29, 2011
Catherine Fisher brings us into a future world that carries items of lost power that only a few can use. This take us into the story of the Relic Masters, a dying breed of people that carries the memory and the power to use these unearthed items from the past that can cause a great toll upon humanity with their use. While certain groups want to horde the Relics and cause strife upon others, there are those few who want to save them and remember.

The world of the Relic Masters is so full of description and the characters are created with a certain amazing feel that Catherine Fisher creates for us as the read. I love the layers to her characters and how we may perceive them one way as they are introduced in the story, but we quickly see them change and flow so intricately into the framework of the story that we love the changes we soon find out about them.

Each of our three main characters in the Dark City: Galen, Carys and Raffi, are soon going to find out how close their futures are entwined together.

At the start we meet up with the ailing Galen, a Relic Master who has lost his power, and Raffi the budding apprentice. While we are not sure the extent of the powers that these keepers of the relics hold, we soon learn about a great potential. As Galen and Raffi set about to investigate a set up relic hold, they are tossed into a race for survival and a new companion. Carys moves into the story and she is an amazing character. There is not too much that I want to give away, but I have to sat that I loved Carys character and what she begins to find in herself and her thinking while being on this adventure with Raffi and Galen.

Fisher begins weaving a tale of epic proportions in The Dark City, Relic Master 1, that make us want more. We are lucky though that there will be a release from this series every month so we do not have too long of a wait until we are able to join back in this amazing adventure.

Lovers of Incarceron will be enthralled by The Dark City. I carries some of the great qualities that were loved in her prior series, and an amazing set of characters. The Dark City will capture readers into its pages, eating up the story, and caught in the feeling of adventure within.

Witches of East End
Witches of East End
by Melissa de la Cruz
Price: $16.31
131 used & new from $0.08

4.0 out of 5 stars New Characters in an Old World, June 29, 2011
This review is from: Witches of East End (Hardcover)
Melissa de la Cruz creates a reality that is hidden within ours, the world and works of the Witches.
The Witches of East End follows the tale of a family of witches who reside in a protected part of the North Hamptons, and these three ladies have lived through a lot.

After having been stripped and denied their lineage of witchcraft from prior transgressions this family just wants to continue on living like normal people, until the itch to practice magic turns to each of the women and a whole host of effects run rampant through the town.
Witches of East End is a magnificent tale of family and survival. It portrays these three strong women, and their struggle to keep themselves and their family together after so much that has happened to them over the years.

Some old characters make it into the story from the Blue Bloods series while really bringing us into their whole new world that Cruz has created for us.

This first book in a series was amazing to read, and it has me looking forward for more.
Lovers of the Blue Bloods will find a whole new set of amazing characters to grow into a series with.

Fins Are Forever
Fins Are Forever
by Tera Lynn Childs
Price: $13.64
142 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars When Life Gives You Fins.... Swim!, June 29, 2011
This review is from: Fins Are Forever (Hardcover)
Fins are Forever is the second book in the Fins Series by Tera Lynn Childs, and it left me satisfied and wanting more.

FIF brings us back to the tail, harhar, of Lily right on the cusp of her being ready to relinquish her title as Princess of Thalassinia. On her eighteenth birthday she needs to make the choice of ruling or staying above the waves.

If things were not already hectic for Lily being seventeen and on the needs of choosing her future, she is looking for colleges, getting romantic and soon finds a new responsibility: Doe.

FiF was a fantastic read. We see Lily caught in the middle of responsibility, romance, and an eagerness to fulfill the things she wants partnered with the tasks needed to complete it.

Tera Lynn Childs takes us back under the waves and into a whole new adventure with the characters that we all so loved from Forgive My Fins, and the finish leaves us hungering for the nest installment of the series

What Happened to Goodbye
What Happened to Goodbye
by Sarah Dessen
Price: $15.04
287 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars When is Goodbye not enough?, June 29, 2011
Sarah Dessen bring us her latest release of What Happened to Goodbye. Mclean has been running from her family problems with her dad whose job takes him around the states revamping failing restaurants. What Mclean finds in the town of Lakeview is herself. The question is will finding yourself mean loosing all that you hold close? When is goodbye not enough, when is is too hard. Dessen creates these amazing characters with such heart felt depth to them. There is always sure to be some point in her books that cause you to drop a tear. WHTG is an amazingly written read. Mclean chooses to give this town herself, but as the truth comes out about her past, her family, and her future will she too unravel?

Spectyr (A Book of the Order)
Spectyr (A Book of the Order)
by Philippa Ballantine
Price: $6.22
72 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars ORDER me more!, June 29, 2011
SPECTYR was amazing to read. It picked up right after GEIST had left off and Sorcha and Merrick soon find themselves coming into a horrible vision as well as an ancient battle. SPECTYR will test the limits of all of their bonds, and our three characters: Sorcha, Merrick, and Raed will struggle within theirs pasts and their futures.

Philippa Ballantine has created another masterpiece in this Second Book of the Order. We find out more about our characters while at the same time read of their inner battles of their relationships towards the future. Sorcha is haunted by a visions she cannot deny while trying to refrain from her passions for Raed. Raed struggles within himself, his feelings, his duty and his Rossin. Merrick soon finds himself open to the Otherside and transported far away, separated from Sorcha and sent into his own new quest.

SPECTYR is about choices and the future. It is of protection at what cost and suffering, inner and worldy. The world building in SPECTYR as well as the history lessons of it in the book were perfectly woven together. There was no feeling of too much backstory or lengthy explainations, only a sense of wonder as Ballantine created this fantastical world full of complications and many many oppositions.

I loved the book, and cannot wait to see what else is in store for these characters. The ending left me wanting oh so much more, with a promise of an amazing book to come.

Tempest Rising
Tempest Rising
by Tracy Deebs
Price: $13.01
70 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Hold your Boards a Tempest is Coming., May 27, 2011
This review is from: Tempest Rising (Hardcover)
This is not your usual mermaid tail, Tempest Rising bring us into a new reality that the turn to fins begins at seventeen.

Our main character is Tempest and she lives next to the beach. But she also has the secret of why their house has a whole glass wall facing the rolling Pacific ocean, her mother is a mermaid who left back into the waves after having three of her children. Leaving Tempest abruptly with a long ago promise to return, Tempest now juggles school with helping raise her two brother all the while surfing at any free moment. But as Tempest soon finds out there is a dark force in her future awaiting her in the waves.

Tempest Rising is an amazing new release from this month that will knock your socks off. It carries all the great elements of a fantastic read: danger, adventure, romance, angst, and mystery.

This author has brought us into the unbelievable world of Tempest and the mermaids and brings us a coming of age tale of epic proportions. I cannot wait to see what the upcoming books bring us into because it was hard for this book to end, it was just that amazing to read.

If you love mermaids, or are looking for a paranormal romance with a twist then Tempest will take a night away and the descriptive elements will seem like a beach vacation.

Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles)
Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles)
by Kevin Hearne
Price: $7.19
78 used & new from $2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars No one does it better than a Druid., May 16, 2011
I love Hounded. No seriously it is fantastic.
Inside this book is a progressing storyline that leave you never a dull minute, is a masterpiece.
There is enough fabulous snark that you could stir it with a stick, and moody plotting characters that pop in and out of the story all of the time.
Poor Atticus (no wealthy kick arse really) just wants some down time after two thousand years to sit back, brew at his tea shop, sell at his bookshop and hunt with his wolfhound. Is that too much for a guy to ask for, it might be when you are packing a hot sword lifted from a bygone war.
Hounded will keep you reading and enthralled in its characters. I am so happy that a book per month with be released so there is no year wait between books.
Want a great new fresh read that packs a punch, then get Hounded and you wont be left unsatisfied.

Swept off Her Feet
Swept off Her Feet
by Hester Browne
Price: $16.94
147 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Modern times Fantasy, May 3, 2011
This review is from: Swept off Her Feet (Paperback)
Swept Off Her Feet takes us into the world of unKilted men and antiques.

Hester Browne weaves of an amazing story about a woman who wants to keep her job and is sent off to a castle to hit the antique pay dirt but finds herself tossed in a reel of desire.

What Evie needs is to stop feeling the life through the antiques she buys, and find something more than the clutter of her home, but into the arms of someone special. Left to her own devices Evie just may get lost in the merchandise she buys for her employer in the antique trade, but she soon is set into a wild adventure inside of a historic castle in Scotland.
What Evie doesn't realize is love is closer than she thinks, and that learning Scottish Reels to replace her sister in a dance, can bring her closer to what she has been wanting for so long.

Browne uses fantastic description to make us fall in love with her characters. You can almost feel the old wood through the pages, along with the pounding of feet in the dances.
The main, and supporting characters were fabulous. Their stories and interactions were breathtaking as well as inspiring. While I may not get to run off to Scotland, I can feel a bit of the experience through this book.

If you would like an adventure, and a lesson in Scottish Reeling dance along the way, get ready to be swept away by Swept Off Her Feet. It was one of the most pleasurable reads I have had this year.

Unearthly
Unearthly
by Cynthia Hand
Price: $14.66
134 used & new from $0.59

4.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing tale of Angels., April 29, 2011
This review is from: Unearthly (Hardcover)
Cynthia Hand has created a lyrical master piece with the debut release Unearthly. The story and characters are fluidly written and amazing. Once their interactions begin to progress in the story they suck the reader and you cannot put this book down.
Unearthly brings us the story of Angels here on earth and what drives them.
It is the story of a family who is moving to fulfill a purpose, a destiny that does not necessarily have an end in sight.
The author creates an amazing new world, a new reality that will engross readers young and old. These pages were beautiful and amazing to read. I loves the flow of the story and the character's interactions with each other.
The end of the book completes this part of the story while at the same time drawing us deeper into the series.
Unearthly, was truly a magnificent story with compelling characters that was beautifully written

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8