Profile for MightyMongrel > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 22

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

MightyMongrel RSS Feed (WJ, Utah)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Dyson Mini Turbine Tool
Dyson Mini Turbine Tool
Price: $66.27
20 used & new from $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Say hello to my little friend!, October 6, 2012
This review is from: Dyson Mini Turbine Tool (Kitchen)
Ok folks, after much debate from reading both the positive and negative reviews, I finally took the plunge and decided to give this thing a try. And after only one use, I've come to the conclusion that either people aren't using their tool correctly, or they got a lemon. Because this tool works REALLY well -- for me.

About a year ago I purchased a 3-level home, and with that came many stairs that would need cleaning on occasion. Well after purchasing the Dyson DC33 Multi-floor, I figured I'd get the attachment to match for my stairs and other upholstery. And like any good Amazon customer, I knew I needed to check the reviews first. I personally like to read reviews at all rating levels, and this caused me concern because there were so many 1-star reviews; it appeared this tool just didn't work for several different people. And at the price Dyson was asking (60 bucks), I didn't want to purchase something that MIGHT work. So I put it off because I was indecisive, and even considered the Eureka Power Paw or Hoover's attachment. But eventually I decided what the heck and gave the Dyson Turbine a try. Plus the fact that I was able to pick it up on Amazon for $30.00 didn't hurt either. And honestly, I couldn't be happier with it.

A lot of the poor reviews are saying that the brush slows or stops when pushing down on stairs or upholstery. Well, yeah, this tool is pneumatic. AIR is used to spin the brush, not a motor of its own. I myself tested the power of it and pushed as hard as I could on my carpet, and still the brush was spinning. Granted I do have extremely plush carpet. But in order for this tool to be effective, you don't need to push that hard. All you need is to let it graze over your carpet or upholstery, and the tool does the rest. Just remember this tool wasn't designed to "deep-clean" anything.

I also experimented and detached the wand from my vacuum and plugged in the brush to just the hose instead. I'm not sure if that would make a difference for some people, but not only does it decrease the distance it takes for the air to flow, but it increased the maneuverability of where I could get this little guy. So that would be one thing I'd recommend giving a try to people that aren't happy with this product's performance.

All in all, I feel really bad that something that's working so well for me isn't working for others. I hope it's just because those people aren't using it correctly, because I'm extremely happy with both my Dyson vacuum AND turbine head. Combined they help me keep my home very clean (I'm even OCD clean). If this tool hasn't worked for you in the past, either experiment a little, or maybe you're not using it for what it's designed for.

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits
Price: $10.00
101 used & new from $3.48

5.0 out of 5 stars The Foo's "Greatest Hits" actually contains... Hits??, November 3, 2009
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
With as many bands as there are out there, it's not all that difficult for them to come out with a few albums, and then for kicks and giggles, throw out a "Greatest Hits" package. But what's interesting about this as I sample these "hits", a good majority of the songs from these hit and miss bands have never had airtime at all - which would obviously constitute a hit - or the fact that often times they're lacking in quality, so they're used as a filler along side more popular songs. Now we all know as albums come out we have our personal favorites, but some of these songs may never make it as a single, let alone a "hit". But as for David Grohl's band, their "Greatest Hits" are actually hits, and then some.

Now don't go thinking EVERY song on this package has hit the airwaves a time or two, because they haven't - at least not where I'm from. But that doesn't make songs like "Breakout", "This is a Call" and "Skin and Bones" any less memorable, especially for the fanbase that has followed the Foo's how long...? Plus you've got a few little goodies like the new track "Wheels", which has become an instint classic, plus a wonderful acoustic version of Everlong -- a song meant to be done acoustic!

So really, the greater majority of songs found here are songs you can hear every day on the radio, which is not bad. It just shows how much of an influence the Foo Fighters have made to still be able to control as much airtime as they do. And for as many places as this band has been, it's nice to know old and new, fans can find a true-blue "Greatest Hits".

Dear Agony
Dear Agony
Price: $7.00
81 used & new from $1.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Evolution into something different, September 29, 2009
This review is from: Dear Agony (Audio CD)
Well going astray from the previous three albums which were released just over two years apart from each other, we've had to wait well over three years this time for Breaking Benjamin's fourth piece of work. But, was it worth the wait?

After hearing the first single "I will Not Bow", I knew immediately I was going to like where Ben Burnley and the other boys were gonna take us; not only does this song fit the mold and profile for a BB song, but it's something new and different, yet still has that ring that will suck you in the more you listen to it. First single: check. Entire album...?

From start to finish, there's a noticable difference to Dear Agony from Phobia - no breaks! From the first strum and riff on "Fade Away", to the very last violin and cello note on "Without You", this album does not stop! Now, not to say Phobia was bad, because it's still one of my favorite albums of all-time. It just has a different fill with some slower parts to it, that's all. However, that just proves that Breaking Benjamin knows how to change the way they write, and let it evolve into something new and different.

Like all albums, there are definately highlights. Dear Agony does just that with such songs as "Fade Away", "I Will Not Bow", "Crawl", "Give My a Sign", "What Lies Beneath", "Anthem of the Angels", "Dear Agony" and "Without You"... pratically the entire album! But let me just say that the others are anything but fillers; the first listen to them just doesn't bite AS hard as these others, that's it.

So as a whole, Dear Agony is an amazing album - definately a years best. The guys from Wilkes-Barre have yet to disappoint, and this, another amazing album, proves that.

Tri-Polar
Tri-Polar
Price: $9.00
47 used & new from $2.40

5.0 out of 5 stars An exceptional find, July 15, 2009
This review is from: Tri-Polar (Audio CD)
Unlike most people, I was not introduced to Sick Puppies by the "Free hugs" song; I was actually just listening to a local radio station and "You're Going Down" came on, it being the first single from "Tri-Polar". Needless to say, I cranked it up and immediately went to work finding out who this band was. And boy, I'm glad I did!

As "You're Going Down" got more airtime closer to the release of "Tri-Polar", I found myself becoming more and more addicted to that song, pretty much to the point I couldn't get out of my head. So doing some research and purchasing their first album: "Dressed Up As Life", I could hardly wait to see what these Australian rockers had up with.

From song one of the album, "War", Shimon Moore's infectious vocals dig deep, and they don't let go until the last note of "White Balloons". This is especially true in such songs as "Should've Known Better" and "Don't Walk Away" - which are some noteworthy pieces of work. But as a whole, the entire album is a great listen. There really isn't a single song you need to skip. In fact, you'll probably find yourself hitting the repeat button once or twice!

So for someone who loves this kind of music and had never known about this band until now, I'd recommend this album. For as much generic-rock that's out there, it's nice to know there's a few albums that still come out and are exceptional, if not to the point of being elite.

Metamorphosis
Metamorphosis
Price: $10.18
91 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars There's something missing..., July 12, 2009
This review is from: Metamorphosis (Audio CD)
About 2 1/2 years later, P-Roach is back with yet another album. Putting aside the ridiculous cover at first glance and giving the new tunes a try, what kind of impression do they make...?

Hearing the first single "Hollywood Whore", I thought maybe Jacoby and crew had returned with some of the edge they had on earlier work like Infest, or maybe even Getting Away With Murder. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Just like many bands now days, The Roach has slipped into some "Mainstream" habits.

Now not to criticize the band or their music - which I still love, it's just not the music that I was expecting from a band that's always been on the edge of what they want to sound like. Sure songs like "Lifeline", "Had Enough" and "March Out of the Darkness" are great, it's just not where their style should have taken them. At least on Paramour Sessions they formed songs that had great melodies and still had a little rough edge, plus some diversity about them. Here on Metamorphosis, there's nothing catchy or unique about them. It's pretty generic rock. Is that bad? Not necessarily. It's just a simple-minded album with something missing: thought.

Still though, I enjoy this album. It's a good listen, and definitely worth picking up for those who enjoy this particular genre of rock. I just hope more thought goes into their next stuff. Otherwise, Papa Roach will be one of the many forgettable bands with forgettable music.

Innerpartysystem
Innerpartysystem
Price: $8.60
55 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A different twist to rock, September 30, 2008
This review is from: Innerpartysystem (Audio CD)
After hearing the first single "Don't stop", I immediately felt drawn to this band. "Don't Stop" is one of those songs that you love the first time you hear it. For me, that was absolutely the case. Fortunately for me, a single hit was not the beginning AND the end for this band.

Not too long after hearing about these guys and then hearing a single hit from them, I had the opporunity to see them live. Unfortunately, there were some technical difficulties during the show, but that didn't stop them from dropping an amazing performance! But putting their first single and live show aside, how's their album?

To be honest, I was expecting something a bit heavier. However, after giving it a couple tries, I'm glad I got to know the band. On this debut of theirs, there is plenty of hit material that makes this a noteworthy album. After a couple listens, such songs as "structure", "Everyone is the Same", "obsession", "New Poetry" and "Heart of fire" are immediate hits. Sure, they are more mellow than "Don't Stop", but the talent and uniqueness is definately there!

Certainly, Innerpartysystem have invented something new for the rock world. Hard and mellow, they shine in both areas... while throwing in bits of... might I say... techno? This band may not appeal to everyone for this reason, but the fact that these guys are something different and unique is reason enough to give them a try!

The Illusion Of Progress
The Illusion Of Progress
Offered by NO1122
Price: $6.65
72 used & new from $0.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Progress may be an illusion, but they have consistency, August 26, 2008
Well after several years since Chapter V, which had mixed reviews, they're back with another album which had the potential to make or break the band. And to be honest, I believe they've got it made... to at least continue making some good music.

After hearing they're first single "Believe", it was just as I expected from the band (very radio friendly). I compared it a lot to "Right Here" from Chapter V. One of those songs that you hear and you want to listen to over and over because it's just great music. But how's the rest of the album?

Well, after getting the CD and giving it a try, it was not what I expected. I remember not long after Chapter V came out and the band announed a break, that when they were finished, they'd come back and "rock harder than ever". To be honest, this is not even close to one of staind's hardest albums. But that doesn't mean that they're dead, or that this is a bad album

Really, I compare this album a lot to Cold's "A Different Kind of Pain" album. It was definately Cold's softest work, and definately a huge change for the band when comparison to their debut. But really, Scooter Ward's lyrics are extremely passionate and real all thru that album, and just because it's softer, it doesn't mean they suck. Quite the contrary, I think "A Different Kind of Pain" was some of Cold's best music, but that's just me.

But here for Staind just like Cold, they have a softer album with a more consistent sound, while throwing in a few surprises along the way. I just hope Staind doesn't drop off the face of the earth like Cold did.

So, is this my favorite album from Staind? Definately not. I still can't get enough of Break the Cycle. But Staind is here, and even though their hardest rocking days might be over, it doesn't mean they still can't make great music. This is a good album, and you'll enjoy it the more you listen to it.

One X
One X
Price: $5.99
92 used & new from $0.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Same band, great new sound, September 11, 2007
This review is from: One X (Audio CD)
Upon hearing of the arrival of TDG's second album "One-X", I must admit I was quite excited with the news. However, it took me a while to get to that stage. Like many, I got to know TDG with such songs as "(I Hate) Everything About you", "Just Like You", and "Home". All very well done songs in the Grunge/Rock world, and quite catchy at that. But how far did this band from Canada really go with their music? Needless to say, this skepticism kept me from purchasing their first and self-titled album for quite some time. But when I broke down and purchased it, I knew I had found a new band to enjoy as much as my other favorites.

Like a lot of bands, TDG started out small, and grew with time. That's especially said since vocals/guitarist Adam Gontier along with band member Brad Walst grew up in a small town of Canada with a population of 1,500. Regardless, their music is anything but a few small-town hits.

To be honest, One-X was not what I thought it'd be the first time I listened to it. After hearing the first single "Animal I Have Become", I figured this would be another album close to their debut; A fairly hard-hitting rock album. Quite the contrary, TDG kept their old style, but added some new sound and maturity to their work.

Certainly, it may take a listen or two to get this album in your mind, but once it does, it just won't leave. Adam's lyrics go a lot deeper than they ever did in their first album, and they'll stick in your head just as deep. Such songs as "Animal I Have Become", "Never Too Late", "Over and Over", and "One-X" will stick in your head for hours after you listen to them, and you'll find yourself listening to this album more and more. And each time, you'll find something new and exciting to enjoy from Three Days Grace.

Truly, I am really impressed with these guys. They have gone from not much to quite a whole lot in a relatively short period of time. I'm loving their music, and I love the fact that they didn't stay the same and actually came together and grew as an even better band.

Paramour Sessions
Paramour Sessions
65 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars P-Roach pulls off another success, September 6, 2007
This review is from: Paramour Sessions (Audio CD)
Not too long after "Getting Away With Murder", Papa Roaches third album that is actually quite noteworthy, they're back with "Paramour Sessions". Quite frankly, I was quite impressed with the efficiency and speed that this album came out. For many, this can mean a rushed and sloppy album, or rarely, a wonderful piece of work. So for P-Roach, what were they able to come up with?

Upon listening to the first track as well as the first single, "...To Be loved", you'll notice something different to their style, but it's undeniably still Papa Roach. As the album progresses, it's very easy to get sucked into Jacoby's lyrics and vocals in this album. This is most definately the album where the frontman and lead vocalist Jacoby shaddix has really put his vocals to a new test, and in my opinion, passed it.

Upon further review of the album, it's very easy to pick out some favorites, such as "The World Around You", "Forever", "Time is Running Out", "What Do You Do?", and "Reckless". All of which very well done songs with the same great P-Roach vibe, yet they've got their own uniqueness to them that make this album definately more noteworthy than other pieces of their work.

All together, I think Papa Roach did an amazing job with this album. It's catchy enough to get to know quickly, and original enough to listen "Time and Time Again". No punn intended. But once again, Papa Roach has ignored the criticism, and they came out on top with another great piece of work.

We Don't Need to Whisper
We Don't Need to Whisper
Price: $10.71
130 used & new from $0.16

5.0 out of 5 stars A band to be reckoned with, August 30, 2007
Several months before "We Don't Need To Whisper" came out, I was listening to the radio one night and the band's first single "The Adventure" came on. At first I was a little confused because I thought Blink 182 had broken up, so I figured that either Tom DeLonge had put back together Boxcar Racer, or he had once again formed a new band. Sure enough, it was the birth of Angels and Airwaves.

After listening to "The Adventure", I knew right away I needed to get as much info. on what was going on. I immediately jumped on the computer and did some research. Within two minutes, I had "The Adventure" downloaded and had it on repeat. I was blown away at Tom's new style, and I was excited for what was in store for us.

After a couple more weeks, Amazon had posted "We Don't Need To Whisper", Angels and Airwaves' first album. I could barely contain myself, hoping that the music was similar to "The Adventure", and it wasn't some one-hit-wonder crap that was gonna hit the shelves. Thankfully, this band is anything but a one-hit-wonder. They're something exceptional, and definately something to be reckoned with.

So, the day came when the album was in stores, and I immediately picked up mine. Taking Tom's advice literally to heart, and actually sitting down in a quite room and putting on the music, my heart and eardrums were pulsating with excitement as each new song came thru my speakers. This truly was not Blink, nor was it even Boxcar Racer. This, is Angels and Airwaves.

But, unfortunately due to Tom's fame and very well known career, that's enough for some to pass judgement too quickly and decide he can't do anything right in the music industry. Either that or people think this is a copycat to other bands with Tom's own twist on it. Frankly for me, I feel AVA is not only original, but something to really appreciate. It's some very well written music in my mind, and I've listened to this album time and time again to get the true meaning and feelings that this band is trying to get across.

I absolutely love this album. This is a wonderful piece of work, and I'm very impressed with not only Tom's new ideas, but his newly found maturity. I'm very excited to see what AVA has for us in the future!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3