Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation
Profile for Rebecca Henderson > Reviews

Browse

Rebecca Henderson's Profile

Customer Reviews: 138

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Rebecca Henderson RSS Feed (Johnson City, TN USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Under New Management: How Leading Organizations Are Upending Business as Usual
Under New Management: How Leading Organizations Are Upending Business as Usual
by David Burkus
Price: $15.73
80 used & new from $6.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful Book!, March 29, 2016
“Under New Management” by Dr. David Burkus puts forth some revolutionary ideas, ideas that we have long been taught are paramount to the success of a business. For example, Dr. Burkus devotes an entire chapter to the philosophy of “Put Customers Second”. Dr. Burkus urges organizations to put employees first, instead. The author also advises that we need to “Ditch Performance Appraisals”, which is also a chapter title. I love the information that he gives us in “Celebrate Departures”; the information about corporate alumni networks fascinates me.
“Under New Management” is an easy read; even though Dr. Burkus has done much research in “Under New Management”, the book has a conversational tone to it. The chapters are medium in length, but broken into smaller sections; this is always something that I look for in a book, since much of my reading time is done in 3-4 minute slots of time. I appreciate both the extensive notes the author has provided, as well as the index in his book. These features make the book more user-friendly, and easy to be able to learn more information about various topics.
Is Dr. Burkus the new Peter Drucker? I wouldn’t be surprised!

Out of the Question: How Curious Leaders Win
Out of the Question: How Curious Leaders Win
by Allan Milham
Price: $14.99
37 used & new from $8.58

5.0 out of 5 stars For a Leader's Library, February 9, 2016
“Out of the Question” by Guy Parsons and Allan Milham is a quick and easily read book with focus on the subtitle (“How Curious Leaders Win”). Full of framework questions that help with problem solving and making decisions, I especially appreciate the various quotes interspersed throughout the book. I also enjoyed the various anecdotes in the book; perhaps the one about Google on pages 30 and 31 is my favorite (“Follow your instincts and be serious.”). However, the concept brought forth on page 95 really hit me and will influence how I think about things. “Reflecting is focusing on the past; inspecting is focusing on the present; and expecting is focused on the future…..” Pretty cool, right? In short, “Out of the Question” is spot-on for a leader’s library.

The Resilient Investor: A Plan for Your Life, Not Just Your Money
The Resilient Investor: A Plan for Your Life, Not Just Your Money
by Jim Cummings
Price: $19.95
84 used & new from $1.22

5.0 out of 5 stars A Paradigm Changing Book, January 18, 2016
I’m really thankful for “The Resilient Investor”, which is a collaborative work of Hal Brill, Michael Kramer and Christopher Peck. About the worst thing I can say about the book is that I only recently learned of it and the wisdom on its pages. The subtitle, which is “A Plan for Your Life, Not Just Your Money” provides a nice summary of the content of the book. The authors focus on the social responsibility of investing; do you really know what companies and products you’re supporting with your investments? Sadly, many of us do not. I enjoyed the book, and I especially appreciate the authors depiction of the Resilient Investor Map, which segments different aspects of our lives and investments.

The 3 Gaps: Are You Making a Difference?
The 3 Gaps: Are You Making a Difference?
by Hyrum W. Smith
Price: $11.82
59 used & new from $5.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!, January 11, 2016
I was so excited when I read that Franklin Covey cofounder Hyrum Smith had written a book. To be sure, “The 3 Gaps” didn’t disappoint me one bit. With the subtitle of “Are You Making a Difference?”, the book is FULL of ways one can make a difference by closing the three gaps that are the topic of the book. (The three gaps are belief gaps, values gaps, and time gaps.) “The 3 Gaps” has many profound statements, but one that really hit home with me is found on page 54. “Reach out; be part of someone’s life. Help others find their way…..”. I predict that “The 3 Gaps” will have as much influence in the boardroom as the Franklin Covey calendar has had.

Poems For You & Your Neighbour: Health Disorders Simplified
Poems For You & Your Neighbour: Health Disorders Simplified
by Mrs Amanda Jones
Price: $13.25
17 used & new from $9.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice book!, December 13, 2015
Wow! Amanda Jones has written a wonderful, easy to read book. She is very talented and writes poems that go to the heart of various medical issues. She then follows with questions and a space to write your answers. I believe this book will serve patients and their families well.

Mastering Leadership: An Integrated Framework for Breakthrough Performance and Extraordinary Business Results
by Robert J. Anderson
Price: $18.36
71 used & new from $9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Leadership Book, December 2, 2015
Mastering Leadership, a book by Robert Anderson and William Adams is an outstanding book. As the authors urge in the introduction, it’s important to go online and take the Leadership Circle Profile Self-Assessment before reading very far into the book. This assessment lets you “receive feedback on your leadership through the lens of the Universal Model” and lays an important background for the book. Mastering Leadership is full of helpful hints and tips about developing your own leadership style, as well as helping others to become better leaders by reaching their potential. The authors have written the book in what I would call a scholarly style; however, if you’re not in academia, don’t let that deter you. The book is easily read, and many of the concepts are explained by the authors liberal use of charts and diagrams throughout the book. The authors have done a nice job of including references in the back of the book, which is something I always appreciate.

Radiologists at Work: Saving Lives with the Lights Off (X-Ray Visions Book 1)
Radiologists at Work: Saving Lives with the Lights Off (X-Ray Visions Book 1)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Book by Carolyn Jourdan!, November 2, 2015
Carolyn Jourdan has written yet another wonderful read that’s can’t-put-down fascinating. “Radiologists at Work: Saving Lives with the Lights Off” is absorbing and gripping. The author has painstakingly interviewed several radiologists; these physicians (who almost exclusively work in the dark) share stories about their careers using wonderful anecdotes. We learn how the field has progressed from only using xrays to MRI and CT scans. Ms. Jourdan has skillfully woven the stories together so the book flows like a river. My only complaint? I wish the book were available in paperback or hardcover, rather than just electronically.

Talking to Skeletons: Behind the Scenes with a Radiologist (X-Ray Visions Book 2)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Interviews with a Radiologist, November 2, 2015
“Talking to Skeletons: Behind the Scenes with a Radiologist” is written by Carolyn Jourdan, so it’s automatically a great book. Ms. Jourdan is one of my favorite authors, and I feel qualified to speak to that point, since I’ve read more than 5000 books. In this book, the author treats us to a series of interviews she conducted with Jay, a radiologist. During the interviews, she shadows Jay during the course of his work day, which is actually during the night. Jay gives the reader much insight into what a radiologist actually does, and shares interesting stories that happen along the way. I would recommend this book for anyone contemplating a career in xray technology, dosimetry and certainly as a radiologist.

The New Social Learning: Connect. Collaborate. Work., 2nd Edition
The New Social Learning: Connect. Collaborate. Work., 2nd Edition
by Marcia Conner
Price: $19.95
44 used & new from $2.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Wisdom!, October 26, 2015
Wow! I was blown away by “The New Social Learning” by Tony Bingham and Marcia Conner. The second edition, with the subtitle of “Connect. Collaborate. Work” is absolutely chock-full of nuggets of wonderful wisdom. On page 4, we are told that it’s “not information overload, but filter failure”. “Culture is the steering wheel of the company” is a gem on page 172. And on page 280, we’re reminded that “To attend an event requires sacrifice” – something we intuitively know, but when we see it in black and white, we gain a new perspective.

“The New Social Learning” is a wonderful resource that I’ll be referring to often. I love the attention to detail the authors have given the work from the notes, to the further reading to the glossary and finally the index. It’s a fabulous find!

Collaboration Begins with You: Be a Silo Buster
Collaboration Begins with You: Be a Silo Buster
by Ken Blanchard
Price: $19.63
62 used & new from $5.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Blanchard Book!, October 12, 2015
Ken Blanchard, Jane Ripley and Eunice Parisi-Carew have teamed together to write “Collaboration Begins with You”. The subtitle (“Be a Silo Buster”) contains a business buzzword, which is “silo”. Silos are, simply explained, systems that cannot operate with other systems – hence the necessity for collaboration.

If Blanchard has ever written or co-authored a book in which he doesn’t employ the use of parables to make points that readers remember, I am unaware of it. “Collaboration Begins with You” is no different; the storytelling style makes the book a quick, interesting and above all , useful read.

My favorite line is actually from the dust jacket, and it is “None of us is as smart as all of us.” So very true, and is a nice sentence summary of the book.

I appreciate the self-assessment and the list of best practices at the end of the book; these are a nice ending touch.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14