Profile for J. L. R. Reed > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 60

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. L. R. Reed "The sadyll chic" RSS Feed (New Hampshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Sword of the Assassin
Sword of the Assassin
DVD ~ Huynh Dong
Price: $9.94
33 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining and visually gorgeous movie., June 26, 2014
This review is from: Sword of the Assassin (DVD)
This is the first entry of Vietnam into Wuxia cinema, and the movie had a large budget, which shows with the quality of the cinematography, the costumes, and sets. I am not usually impressed with characters in this sort of film, as they tend to be one-dimensional, but in this movie, there was character development, and the quality of acting as good to very good, with the primary hero, and villain being the best of acting, but the supporting characters doing a very good job as well.

There are several plot twists, making it different than many films of the genre. All in all, I would recommend the movie to anyone with an interest in some of the historical legends of Vietnam, and who wants to see something a little outside of the norm in the Chinese offerings.

Cubette Mini Ice Cube Trays, Set of 2
Cubette Mini Ice Cube Trays, Set of 2
Offered by Stock Your Home
Price: $5.31
10 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Handy in a pinch, March 12, 2014
I ordered the Cubette Mini Ice Cube Trays as an emergency icemaker. They work really well. The shallow trays allow for relatively quick freezing. The fact that the trays are shallow, can cause some spills while placing the trays in the fridge, but nothing serious. The trays I ordered are made out of a tough, white plastic. Each tray makes 90 mini ice cubes. Each ice cube is about the size of a 6 sided dice. The set comes with two trays. We just fill them up, freeze, and then dump the cubes in our refrigerator's regular ice dispenser.

Valor Chocolate a la Taza Bar from Spain (makes 8 cups, 10.5 oz/300 gr)
Valor Chocolate a la Taza Bar from Spain (makes 8 cups, 10.5 oz/300 gr)
Offered by World Wide Chocolate
Price: $12.95
2 used & new from $10.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Chocoholic with a craving for hot chocolate?, December 10, 2012
If you are a chocoholic and you love hot chocolate, ask yourself if you've ever tried it like they drink hot chocolate in Spain. If not, then I recommend that you grab a bar of this chocolate and try it. Once you drink this chocoholic's delight, you'll never go back to syrup in a bottle or that powder-filled packet.

These chocolate bars are BIG and thick. Not your average candybar found on the local grocery store shelf. These bars already contain ingredients to help it thicken as you heat it to produce that lovely, thick and creamy texture.

Add about 3-4 squares to simmering milk or cream and send your tastebuds into chocolate overload. Try them with churros (fried dough confection like a doughnut) and enjoy. Enjoy it straight or add a flavored oil like orange, raspberry, or mint.

Hildegard von Bingen's Physica: The Complete English Translation of Her Classic Work on Health and Healing
by Saint Hildegard
Price: $18.19
64 used & new from $9.44

4.0 out of 5 stars An lovely Treatise of Health and Healing arts of the Middle Ages, October 15, 2012
Before we begin, this book is not meant for modern practitioners of herbal medicines. If you are looking for recipes and how-tos, this is NOT the book for you. It is written for the audiences of the Middle Ages. These recipes and suggestions are not appropriate to modern usage, some could be potentially poisonous to the patient.

For modern scholars, it gives us an insight into the thoughts on and healing practices of the day. Von Bingen examines Humorism and the aspects of other plants, minerals, and animal and how they apply to remedies. Like many medieval works on health and healing, it is part religion, part observation, and part magic and whimsy (e.g., unicorn horns - though these could be represented by Narwhal horns).

As stated before, when looking for healing recipes and herbal facts, modern practitioners of the healing arts should be VERY cautious in applying any recipes found in these old texts. Not all of them are safe and if making use of animal parts, some may not be legal.

Other works that students may find interesting:
Medieval Herbal Remedies: The Old English Herbarium and Anglo-Saxon Medicine
Leechcraft: Early English Charms, Plantlore and Healing
Medieval Herbals: The Illustrative Traditions (The British Library Studies in Medieval Culture)
The Trotula: An English Translation of the Medieval Compendium of Women's Medicine (The Middle Ages Series)

This book a nice translation of one of Hildegard von Bingen's works.

Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative
Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative
by Austin Kleon
Price: $6.86
150 used & new from $6.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Embrace your inner child, May 21, 2012
A colleague gifted this book to me quite unexpectedly one morning. Perhaps he thought I needed a reminder that my creativity was lagging lately, who knows. I leafed through the pages and found a comment by Jessica Hische "The work you do while you procrastinate is probably the work you should be doing for the rest of your life"...wow moment.

Many of his comments and advice I had learned along my journey as an artist before some professors "knifed my muse" [metaphorically speaking] in college and the corporate world finished it off.

While I didn't find Kleon's words new, he is correct, no one tells you the little bits of wisdom contained within, you learn it for yourself the hard way.

Basically, harken back to your time as a child, when your creative juices were flowing and there was no limit to your imagination; embrace your inner child, go forth and CREATE! Create something everyday, be it a doodle while talking on the phone, making a journal a work of outsider art, or grabbing some clay, paint, or what have you and create. Just do it!

Like he says, there's nothing new under the sun. The book gives you license to steal what is worth stealing "artistically" and then placing your own spin on it to make it something more.

So, go forth and Steal Like an Artist.

The Cuisine of the Teutonic Grand Masters in Malbork Castle
The Cuisine of the Teutonic Grand Masters in Malbork Castle
3 used & new from $61.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Not truly medieval..., May 16, 2012
The Cuisine of the Teutonic Grand Masters in Malbork Castle is a bilingual cook book (Polish and English). It begins with a little history and then goes into the recipes. On the left the text is presented in Polish and on the right English. The book contains several recipes ranging from soups to meat and fish dishes. One of the dishes, the Mushroom soup, apparently aired in an episode of a television show called "Battle Castle".

After I received the book, I began flipping through the pages expecting to see the original recipes followed by a version with some modern twists. Unfortunately, people looking for medieval recipes are going to be disappointed, the book was written to be "utilitarian" in the author's words. Basically, this says to me that they didn't think that people would find medieval cuisine truly delicious, they altered the recipes into some form of nouveau cuisine complete with tomatoes and entrees containing turkey (not indigenous to Europe).

It had a lot of potential for students of history and culinary history, but it falls short of the mark. However, it may be more useful to modern cooks looking for something a little different.

People looking for medieval cuisine might find the following titles more to their liking:
Pleyn Delit: Medieval Cookery for Modern Cooks
The Medieval Kitchen: Recipes from France and Italy
Medieval Cuisine of the Islamic World: A Concise History with 174 Recipes (California Studies in Food and Culture)

There are many more, just search books and type Medieval Cuisine.

Emjoi AP-55 Colorjoi Hair Coloring System
Emjoi AP-55 Colorjoi Hair Coloring System
Offered by Most Anything
Price: $13.95
3 used & new from $13.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, February 21, 2012
The Emjoi AP-55 Colorjoi works very well. The product is simple to use. The color system comes with instructions that are easy to follow and a DVD. The color system has two diffusers: one for roots and one for full coverage. They screw on an off for ease of change. The system requires (2) AA batteries. Install the batteries and then simply unscrew the diffuser, fill with your color (a Maximum fill line is on the side of the clear container of the system), and press the "ON" button. This pumps the color into the diffuser. Once the color appears, place on your head according to the directions and then brush into your hair.

The system works very well. It made coloring easy and expedient.

Why 4 stars? It's a little heavy and awkward; it takes a little effort to clean; and it is expensive.

You don't need to buy additional diffusers if you take the time to clean the system thoroughly. Just unscrew the container and the diffuser and wash in the sink.

Still very good product.

Sunpentown Giddyup Core Exerciser, Dual Motor
Sunpentown Giddyup Core Exerciser, Dual Motor

3.0 out of 5 stars Sunpentown Giddyup Core Exerciser dual motor, January 24, 2012
Product: Sunpentown Giddyup Core Exerciser dual motor

As an equestrian, I must say this first; this product does not mimic or even come close to mimicking the movements of a real horse at a walk, trot, etc... I purchased one because I thought it might help me improve my posting (I don't have access to an indoor during the winter months to ride my horse - so was looking for something to use indoors at home). Because of the uneven, odd, or even violent "jog" of the exerciser, it makes it nearly impossible to make any attempt at posting because there's no constant rhythm to the movement that you would normally feel on a real horse. Okay, enough about that.

What it's for?

This device is meant to work your abdominal muscles, quadriceps, and hamstrings by way of counter-balance; this is a type of exercise that is meant to develop muscles by constantly putting the rider in a state of being off-balance and the muscles used work to keep the rider upright and "in the saddle".

Does it do this? Kind of. The first time I sat on the core exerciser for the 15 minute session, I could feel the muscles in my abdominal region working to keep my body centered. To increase the usefulness of the device, I practiced upper body movements that I learned during my Classical Dressage sessions with my trainer, keeping the upper body quiet and "separate" from my seat, or what would be called developing an independent seat. I did notice that my back was a little sore after each use. (see the video on YouTube: look-up giddyup core exerciser)

How it looks

What you see is what you get. The device looks exactly like the photo. It has a basic "saddle" shape, more like a giant bicycle seat than a saddle for a horse. It has two grab straps: one in front, one in back. These can be used as hand holds for those who need them or to pick up and move the device (though - I suggest getting someone to help move it rather than lift it by the handles). The model I have had two tone blue and gray materials on the seat and a dark gray base. The exerciser does not come with a foot rest of any type and would definitely benefit in a future design to apply stirrups.

How it functions
Plug the device into a normal wall outlet and turn on the power switch (located on the back of the base). A very simple control panel is set into the pommel or front section of the "saddle". You can select the amount of time you want to exercise (base time is 15 minutes and cannot be changed once you start without hitting reset or powering off the unit) and select the speed of both the front/back action and the Figure-8 action (dual motor version of device). Push start. It's that simple. It comes with a DVD that can be found on YouTube: (see the video on YouTube: look-up giddyup core exerciser)

Pros
* Easy to use
* Relatively Small foot print
* Different speeds
* Can somewhat randomize the two different motions (figure 8 and front and back)
* Front and rear grab straps
* No pain or stress to the knees

Cons:
* No stirrups
* Doesn't move like a real horse
* Not for really tall people. It seems that it is more suited to people in the height range of 5'-0" to 5'-6". Taller folks may have an issue as to how to place their legs. If you place your feet on the base (not recommended by manufacturer) or on the floor it may defeat the purpose of the exercise.
* Not for people who are prone to motion sickness - ever taken a long road trip and once you stopped, when you closed your eyes, you could still feel the motion of the road? Or walked on a tread mill for 30 + minutes and when you got off, you felt a little "weird", it's the same type of sensation with this device. If you get ill on boats...this is not the device for you.

Hoopnotica Fitness Travel Hoop Combo Kit (incl. Weighted Hula Hoop, Carry Strap, Level 1 Hoopdance DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Hooping, giving it a whirl, January 9, 2012
Why I considered buying this product:

I have an issue with my hip flexors being very tight and making it very difficult to keep my leg loose and my hips flexible for achieving a proper post for long periods of time when riding my horse (Riding discipline: Classical Dressage). My riding instructor recommended a hula hoop as an aid to stay supple.

How long I've used the product
I am new to "hooping"; the last time a used a hoop was when I was ten years of age. It's been a "few" years since then. So, I've only had this hoop for approximately a week. It's challenging and I have yet to be able to achieve more than a few orbits (between 3 and 9) before I drop the hoop. But I'm still working it.

I ordered the Hoopnotica Fitness Travel Hoop Combo Kit. What it contains:

* Six hoop segments for a 37" to 42" hoop
* Travel strap
* IT DID NOT contain the DVD. (-1 Star)

About the Hoop
From what I can tell from Hoopnotica's web site and here on Amazon is that the travel hoop comes in two basic color combinations: Pink with Gold tape, and Medium Blue with Silver tape.

Pros:
* Segmented hoop for quick assembly/disassembly
* Saves on storage space
* Portable
* Sizable
* Fun

While I have a large house, I don't have a lot of storage space so I find the segmented hoop to be ideal. It quickly assembles and disassembles. The benefit is that I can take it apart and travel with it if I desire.

I have not experienced any issues with the screws coming out, the rattling, or finger pinching from disassembling the hoop - you do have to be careful, if you pull it suddenly, I can see how you might pinch your fingers; if this changes, I will update my review.

Con:
* My hoop did not come with the advertised DVD.
* Limited color choice for travel hoop (I was mistaken, they do have more color choices for travel hoops, however, they are "signature travel hoops" and cost about $30 more)

Overall I like the look and feel of this hoop and look forward to improving my hooping talent.

Lions, Dragons, & other Beasts: Aquamanilia of the Middle Ages: Vessels for Church and Table (Bard Graduate Center for Studies in the Decorative Arts, Design & Culture)
by Peter Barnet
Price: $55.00
49 used & new from $33.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, November 8, 2011
If you are interested in Medieval Aquamanilia, this book is a must have. The book contains many full color photos of surviving vessels: unicorns, centaurs, a dog, and lions galore. Many show x-rays of the vessels, and the text is descriptive and scholarly.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6