Profile for El Capitán > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

El Capitán RSS Feed (Florida)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
When Tony Met Adam (Short Story) (Troubleshooters)
When Tony Met Adam (Short Story) (Troubleshooters)
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars And I thought I'd never like Adam..., June 18, 2011
I hated Adam with the fire of a thousand suns throughout the Jules/Robin arc in the Troubleshooters books. However, in All Through the Night, Brockmann did manage to make him seem almost sympathetic. (And I found his interactions with Sam to be all kinds of delightful.) When Tony hit on him I actually felt myself feeling happy for Adam. This short story picks right up where that scene left off... and IMHO it couldn't have been more perfect.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2012 11:00 PM PDT

The Only Gold
The Only Gold

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting and delightful, as usual., March 26, 2011
This review is from: The Only Gold (Kindle Edition)
I loved both Tamara Allen's previous novels (Downtime and Whistling in the Dark) so I knew I had to get this. (And now that I've read all three I can't choose a favorite. They're all quite brilliant.) Jonah is such a fussy character, but oddly charming, and I immediately found myself feeling very protective of him. Reid is everything that Jonah is not - outgoing, charismatic, and spontaneous - yet he clearly cares for Jonah. I cheered for them as a couple with what I can only imagine was a very sappy grin on my face. Then their sweet romance is interrupted and, as the previous reviewer stated, the last quarter or so is quite thrilling. I found myself turning the pages much too quickly, my heart in my throat. What a fantastic read - completely satisfying, romantic, and delightful. I absolutely adored this.

GhosTV: a PsyCop Novel
GhosTV: a PsyCop Novel
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect follow-up to Camp Hell!, February 25, 2011
I've been looking forward to this since Camp Hell. I knew I loved Vic and Jacob, but now I realize that I love all the characters like old friends. (Well, maybe not Roger.) Every time a character came onto the page or was mentioned for the first time I was delighted. Yay it's Crash! (Okay, I'm always delighted when Crash is on the page.)

As usual, I read way too fast. I had planned to savor this book over the weekend, but I ended up staying up late and finishing it in one sitting. (This is not a short book - I believe it is over 100k words and the longest PsyCop novel yet.) In my defense, GhosTV was WAY too awesome to put down. Every page kept me completely engrossed and I basically had to force myself not to skim the entire thing to find out what happened next. I'm definitely going to re-read soon and make sure I catch some of the details I surely missed in my frenzy.

So anyways, for those of you who are worried - don't be. It's amazingly good, a perfect follow-up to Camp Hell. And now I want the next one...

Wings of Equity
Wings of Equity
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This was a really fun read., January 20, 2011
This review is from: Wings of Equity (Kindle Edition)
I hemmed and hawed over getting this one for the longest time as I've read some disappointing steampunk books. However, I should have trusted Sean Kennedy's talent because he has not let me down so far. This was wonderful! It took everything I like about steampunk and everything I like about m/m and wrapped them together in an awesome package.

I agree with the above review - you don't get as deep into the characters' minds and motivations as in Tigers & Devils - I guess this did not bother me personally because I just don't expect that with an action / adventure type novel. This was more frantically paced - getting shot at, being chased around - romantic elements are there, but they are not the only focus. I think Rachel Caine's Weather Warden series has similar pacing and if you liked that feel you would like this.

Not Knowing Jack
Not Knowing Jack
Price: $4.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down., January 14, 2011
This review is from: Not Knowing Jack (Kindle Edition)
I was hesitant to get this one because I did not care so much for Regularly Scheduled Life, for which this is a spin-off. However, I am happy to say I enjoyed the spin-off far more than the original. It still has a dark and heavy feel to it (if you've read my other reviews, you know this is not a favorite of mine - I prefer things lighthearted) but for me the character of Tony made it all worth it. He has a very youthful personality and acts immature at times, but he's also very likable. Jack is harder to love, although because of his circumstances growing up, you feel for him and understand the choices he made. This was a bit heart wrenching, but very compelling and a good read overall.

Blood Heat (Dangerous Ground Book 3)
Blood Heat (Dangerous Ground Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another series that I adore., December 26, 2010
Another series that I adore. This is the 3rd book in the Dangerous Ground series and I've been looking forward to it for quite a while. The good news is that it doesn't disappoint. There is plenty of action and suspense and my heart was in my freaking throat the entire time. The interaction between the two leads was fantastic as usual. The suspected terrorist was both kick-ass and hilarious. The bad news is there is a cliffhanger-ish ending and the Paris situation is not resolved, so we won't get to see what happens between Will and Taylor until the next book. I'm looking forward to it. :)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2010 1:46 PM PST

Trust Me If You Dare (Romano and Albright)
Trust Me If You Dare (Romano and Albright)
Price: $4.24

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this!, December 26, 2010
L.B. Gregg is a new to me author - I recently found her in the His for the Holidays anthology and was drawn to her style of writing. I immediately raced through her Men of Smithfield series and knew I was onto something good. This just cinched it. I think if you like the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich you would like this - it has the same zany feel. Caesar Romano is an adorable character and, although not a bounty hunter like Plum, always seems to end up in the thick of things. Personally, I like a little madcap in my romantic comedy, so I absolutely love this.

His for the Holidays
His for the Holidays

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent holiday anthology, December 10, 2010
Josh Lanyon's Icecapade was my favorite story, about an ex-cat burglar and the cop who's been chasing him. (And finally catches him - yay!) Very sweet and charming. I only wish it were longer. (Not that it needed to be, I'm just being greedy - I want to spend more time with these characters!): 5 stars

Z.A. Maxfield's I Heard Him Exclaim was my second favorite. Her characters are adorable as usual and she has a great voice. I thought the idea of a skinny Santa was funny and it worked well. My only quibble is the use of "Gods" instead of "God". It just felt odd and pulled me out of the story every time. (I mean, I know people who talk like that, so it shouldn't be THAT weird for me, but it still doesn't look right in print. If that makes any sense at all.): 4.5 stars

I think Harper Fox's story Nine Lights Over Edinburgh was really well written, but a little bit too heavy for my personal tastes and a little out of place in this anthology. Not that the other stories didn't deal with some difficult subjects, only that the tone of the stories were more lighthearted than this one. (It required me to shift gears, so to speak.) That being said, I did like it, and I was satisfied with the ending.: 4.5 stars

I liked L.B. Gregg's Mistletoe at Midnight overall. (I have a soft spot for nutcase family dynamics.) There were several parts where I was laughing and grinning, however, there were also parts where I felt the characters acted oddly just to create more tension in the story.: 4 stars

Overall, an excellent anthology and it was a treat to read. :D

Fish & Chips (Cut & Run Series Book 3)
Fish & Chips (Cut & Run Series Book 3)
Price: $5.38

5.0 out of 5 stars These books just keep getting better and better!, December 9, 2010

The only problem is I was so excited to read it, I read really fast. I think I might have to read it all over again. ;)

And then there's a preview of the 4th book, Divide & Conquer, at the end... Needless to say, I CAN'T WAIT!

Fish & Chips (Cut & Run)
Fish & Chips (Cut & Run)
by Abigail Roux
Price: $16.78
42 used & new from $14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars These books just keep getting better and better!, December 7, 2010
Like the previous reviewer, I've been waiting for this for so long I was concerned I'd end up being disappointed. Thankfully I had nothing to worry about - this book was awesome and everything I could have asked for. There's action and adventure, sure, and there's romance and relationship stuff. (Yes!) And of course, there's comedy - from witty banter to pratfalls. Really, it has it all folks!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3