Profile for bakerbronte > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 133

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

bakerbronte RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Supercharge Your Kindle Sales: Simple Strategies to Boost Organic Traffic on Amazon, Sell More Books, and Blow Up Your Author Mailing List (Book Marketing for Authors 1)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Supercharge Your Self-Pub Career, August 25, 2014
Nick Stephenson takes a whole new angle on getting your kindle book noticed, and this book is my favorite marketing book this year as a result. Self-publishing can be fraught with dilemmas. It can be a pain in the neck to get your book noticed by the customer base you're marketing to. In today's world, there are too many books out there competing, and it's easy to get lost in a sea of ebooks.

You can lay those fears to rest immediately. Author Nick Stephenson employs a common sense, easy to understand approach to getting your book out there. He uses the concept of Amazon really being a complicated search engine, and by using Amazon screen shots, he confidently guides you through the process of optimizing your ebooks placement within the search engine.It's as simple sometimes as reevaluating your key/search words. It's miraculous, really. By using a handful of the author's strategies, I was able to produce increased sales.

There are many other common sense approaches within this gem that will perk up your sales. One of my favorite strategies that he presents is compiling an email list of potential customers by offering them one valuable thing in return. but I won't say more. I want you to read this book to find out how to completely optimize your sales. I feel like this book is an ingenious take on the ebook industry that no author can afford to be without. I continuously said while reading it, "I should have thought of that!". Mr. Stephenson not only has a handle on writing. He's a solid marketer as well.

The Paper Magician (The Paper Magician Series)
The Paper Magician (The Paper Magician Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Debut Novel, August 23, 2014
I received The Paper Magician through the Kindle First program. It is the story of Ceony, a student at a local magic school, who dreams of becoming a metal magician. Instead, her dreams are challenged when she is apprenticed to a paper magician, Thane. Ceony is only beginning to learn her new craft when Thane is endangered by the powerful sorceress, Lira, and must go on a journey that challenges everything about her in order to help him.

I enjoyed this book much more so than I thought I would. The editing is excellent and the grammar polished. I think it best suited to tweens and teens. Had the author chosen to make this a heavier, darker story for adults, I would be awarding it five stars. I didn't find the story to be historically accurate for the time and setting, but I did become so swept up in the story that I kept reading for the joy of the story. I don't think enough detail was provided at what all Paper Magic entails. I hope more is covered in the next book. There is also a sequence of chapters in which Ceony journeys through a heart that I felt was much too long without nearly enough explanation.

Complaints aside, it was a fun and engaging read. Ceony was a spirited teen heroine who serves well as a character for young girls to read about. It was a clean book, and I will be recommending it to younger readers. Despite the fact that it didn't feel as if it were for a reader my age, I'm intrigued enough by the story line and the different elements of magic to pick up the second volume when it is released.

One Lavender Ribbon
One Lavender Ribbon

4.0 out of 5 stars A Light Read for the Beach, August 23, 2014
I received One Lavender Ribbon through the Kindle First program. One Lavender Ribbon is the story of Adrienne, a 28 year old divorcee from a cardiologist, who takes her divorce settlement and buys a fixer upper on the water in Florida. She encounters a bundle of WWII era love letters in the attic, and she becomes obsessed with unraveling the age old romance.

She meets Pops, writer of the letters, and his handsome grandson, Will, and they quickly develop a friendship as she adds some excitement to their monotonous lives. Adrienne wants nothing more than to reunite Will with a lost love. Readers will quickly see that she is repairing the hole in Pop's heart as a panacea for healing the hole in her own. Then Adrienne and Will become attracted to each other, and the book suddenly has two potential romances unfolding.

I liked the prose. It was smooth, polished, and easy going. This is the kind of book you take to the beach. The language was fairly clean, and the book had it's sensual moments, too, but was clean. There were no graphic sexual details. However, I didn't think Adrienne and Will were romance material. She was picture perfect and annoyed me by being too nosy about other people's private matters. Will was handsome and charming, but his constant anger, mistakes, and brooding coupled with his constant lame apologies fell flat. The reader never really finds out what his "issues" truly are...oh, near the end he elaborates how it hurt him that his charity loving parents hurt him by going to Africa his senior year, but I think something more had to be wrong for him to be such a stick in the mud control freak. There's no doubting he and Adrienne had chemistry, but it isn't the successful kind. I also questioned a 28 year old woman getting a divorce settlement big enough to cover a house and not working. Her ex-husband must have been quite a bit older than her to fund her life of leisure. I also didn't think that Pop's previous romance and it's end was fleshed out enough. The letters and the locals point to something dark and complicated happening, but I felt the author's explanation of his lost love was too glossed over. I know, I'm nit-picking.

All that aside, I'm giving the book four stars because it was a smooth, enjoyable read. I think this author shows promise, and I will definitely consider future books.

On This Night
On This Night
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, Clean Novel, July 25, 2014
This review is from: On This Night (Kindle Edition)
On This Night, by Debra Diaz, is a good, clean historic mystery that can be read by anyone of any age.

On This Night begins with the murder of a Union soldier. The Union army comes looking for him on the Southern plantation where he was last seen. Come to find out, a large sum of money disappeared with him. It isn't long before a slave on the same plantation is found murdered, and the book launches into a night long whodunit where most of the characters are suspect.

The historical material in the novel was accurate and well-written. I appreciate the author taking time to fact check and integrate the material into the novel without it feeling like I was reading a history book. Most of the dialogue seemed true to the time as well. If language or sexual material is of concern for you, you'll find this book squeaky clean.

Most of the characters were well-developed, and I could see them as they navigated their complicated and tense night. At times I felt like Brooke was sketched too heavy-handed and came off more as a stereotype than a character. I also thought the pacing was a little off. The novel could have been better if it was shortened slightly. Also, you aren't going to find much to lead you to the character who did the crime. The novel bounces around wildly, letting you think it could be the this character or that character. Suddenly, you get to the end, the culprit is revealed, and you're too worn out to care about (SPOILER ALERT!...you may want to skip ahead to the final paragraph) the marginal character "who did it".

This is a fun read for when you are in the mood for something light. The price can't be beat. It was a relatively clean novel, by which I mean mostly free of typos and errors which is a rarity. Pick it up. The way the author worked the title into the novel was fun.

Classic Bible / Book Cover w/ "Faith" Badge (Large / Black)
Classic Bible / Book Cover w/ "Faith" Badge (Large / Black)
by Christian Art Gifts
Edition: Imitation Leather
Price: $14.41
6 used & new from $13.83

3.0 out of 5 stars Best for Lightweight and Casual Usage, July 23, 2014
I recently purchased an older edition Bible that I've had trouble finding at a reasonable price, and when I located one, you can be sure that I wanted to protect it! This is the case it will go in. I feel that the case is only so-so in quality. I think the exterior material looks inexpensive and not durable. I expect it to flake after a while. I do like the handle quite a bit. It seems sturdy. Unlike several reviewers, I am not having any issues with the zipper skipping or being too stiff. There is a little mesh pocket on the interior that I can't imagine being useful for much other than a few hard candies or very short highlighting pencils, but I like the outer pocket on the case. It will easily accommodate church bulletins. The pen/pencil holder is also fine. I think this case is best for someone with a lighter weight Bible or someone who doesn't want to lug the extras of a notepad and other study items. I seem to prefer the convenience of a trifold Bible cover with organizer now that I own two Bible covers, and I probably wouldn't purchase this one again.

Tri-Fold Organizer Black XL
Tri-Fold Organizer Black XL
by Zondervan
Edition: Misc. Supplies
Price: $14.34
60 used & new from $8.96

4.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Bible Case, July 23, 2014
I recently purchased two study Bibles and wanted to protect them in a case that would allow me to "grab and go" when Sunday morning came, and I have to say with one tiny flaw this one really fit the bill. I use the Thomas Nelson NKJV Study Bible, 2nd edition. My measurements came in at 6.75 X 9.5 X 2.1 inches. My Bible fit into this case with a little wiggle room to spare. I followed another reviewers suggestion to go ahead and buy the XL if you had a Bible that would fit a size L but intended to carry lots of extras. I am blown away by the trifold design. I can accommodate a good sized notepad, business cards, church programs, a pen, and even accommodate my spare set of glasses. My case didn't have a noticeably strong nylon odor as some reviewers had noted, and it looks like the kind of case that will stand up to minor spills and messes (I have two small kids). I do take issue with the Velcro closure. I think it is the only aspect of this case that was not done well. I can see it slipping open if you have loaded the case with a heavy Bible and extra stuff. If Zondervan had put a snap on this case, I would have given it a 5 star review. That being said, I would purchase the case again and may purchase a size L for a smaller Bible.

Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans
Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans
Price: $9.39

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite of My 4 Paleo Books, July 8, 2014
Nom Nom Paleo is officially my go to Paleo cookbook. My husband and I embarked on the Paleo journey two weeks ago. We ordered this book and three others. This book scores major points with us for actually being a hardcover with sewn binding and thick durable pages. While I do enjoy my other Paleo books, the quality was the worst of cheap and they all had tattered binding within one week. Short of cramming Nom Nom Paleo down a garbage disposal, this book is meant for the actual, heavy kitchen use.

The book is divided into the following sections: introduction (very basic paleo intro); building blocks (like mayo, sriracha, and other meal builders); nibbles; salads and soups; eggs; plants; seafood; poultry; meat; and treats. Amusing and insightful blurbs precede each recipe, and the photography is top level quality. Little cartoons and asides educate and delight throughout the book.

I have made mayo, a real keeper and super simple as well as the Peruvian roast chicken with aji verde sauce. I think my husband thought twice about peeling all the crispy skin off the bird and devouring it all in one meal. We are also big, big fans of her Liar bars, a snack/energy bar knock off. Every recipe is clearly explained and well written. I see several reviews bemoaning the lack of protein, but there are twenty something protein recipes and that excludes the eggs and seafood chapters. Paleo isn't a free pass to scarf down all of your calories through meat. A wide variety of vegetables and some fruits and nuts should round you out.

If I owned only one Paleo book, this would be it. If you are a newbie like me looking for the cookbook to get you started, I think this should be the book. Most of the ingredients were easily attainable for me in my small town grocery store with the exception of coconut aminos...and Amazon can help you out with obtaining those if you can't procure them. I adore this book, and I have my fingers crossed for another one. I read on the author's blog that she was quitting her job as a pharmacist so here is hoping she'll produce another book soon.

The Raven Boys
The Raven Boys

5.0 out of 5 stars The Thinker's Paranormal Novel, July 8, 2014
This review is from: The Raven Boys (Kindle Edition)
This book rocked, and if you enjoy a trilogy that builds on the merits on character development and suspense rather than weepy melodrama and awkward necking, then this is the series for you. Seriously, if you're picking this up as a "kissing book", you'll be disappointed...buy something else. This novel is about suspenseful plot building.

Blue Sargent, a charming and self-possessed girl, in a house full of psychics, has always been told that if she kisses her true love, he'll die. She lacks the fortune telling abilities of her relatives but possesses the remarkable ability to sharpen any other psychics' gifts. She is independent and likes herself. She's no shrinking violet, hoping that next year she'll be school beauty.

Her world changes when a Raven boy from Aglionby crosses her path. She has seen him on St. Mark's Eve which means he's her true love or she'll kill him. Blue wants neither...especially regarding an Aglionby guy.

The Raven boys are headed by Gansey, a strange mixture of modern day wealth and old world charm. He's obsessed with finding and awaking the ley line that he believes King Glendower is buried on. Legend has it that Glendower will grant a favor to the person who awakens him. Gansey's pals: foerce, brooding Ronan; poor, abused Adam; and quiet, mysterious Noah round out the group on his quest to find the king. When Gansey leaves behind his scholarly journal of notes and Blue finds it, their paths converge on an adventure that will adjust everyone's relationships and self-perceptions.

This novel is the first in a trilogy. The emphasis is on character and plot building. There is action and fantasy elements but they are sprinkled in as seasoning instead of constantly engaging the reader. It makes the story more believable. As soon as I finished the novel, I reread it, and it was even more fun. The author does an amazing job with foreshadowing and dropping little breadcrumbs for the reader to pick up before a major plot reveal--and she still managed to surprise me several times.

Now go buy this book if you enjoy quality more than making out and a novel that builds into a second book that doesn't slump with the dreaded "sequel slump". These books are worth the journey, people.

Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat
Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Recipes, Outrageously Poor Quality Binding, June 30, 2014
I am a newbie to the Paleo lifestyle. Well Fed is one of two books that I purchased to guide me in this new way of taking care of myself after developing health problems that I think, in part, are to be blamed by my previous carbohydrate-reliant way of eating.

Well Fed is a paper back book that looks very small and thin. Don't be deceived! This little book is jam-packed with recipes. You could probably get by fairly well on cooking supper for a very long time if this was the only Paleo book you owned. It is divided into the following sections: very basic intro to Paleo; the weekly cookup; sauces and seasonings; protein; veggies and salads; fruits; and resources.

Many of Joulwan's recipes are "hot plates", meaning a precooked protein, several cups of steam-sauteed veggies, and an accompaniment such as cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles that are seasoned with one of several delightful spice combinations and perhaps an accompanying sauce. The spice and the sauce gives a cultural spin to the dish depending on what you pick so you get to eat French one night and Moroccan the next. These recipe suggestions are grouped together on a couple of pages with the techniques for cooking your desired protein, sauce, spice, and veggies on separate pages located throughout the book. If you are someone who does not like flipping through cookbooks to make a meal (and I know you're on here), this book is not for you. I don't mind it at all. Joulwan does lots of prep work one day per week and cooks her veggies and proteins and stores them in the fridge for quick assembly and heating throughout the workweek. This technique may not be for those who are very busy. There are tons of recipes in addition to her hot plates technique, and they will delight.

The first thing I made was the Deconstructed Hamburger salad. You better believe it was tasty. I topped it with Joulwan's homemade mayo, and I nearly swooned with delight. I've been afraid of making mayo for years, but it took 5 minutes of my life and was extraordinary. My husband ate seconds of the salad and asked that I prepare it again. I also made the Moroccan grilled chicken plate over cauliflower rice and made the Moroccan dipping sauce. Talk about a trip to foreign country from your dinner table! It takes me a bit longer now to prepare meals, but it is worth it to feel better. One thing the author could do in future editions to improve the book would be to include how long all the condiments/sauces will last in the refrigerator.

This book is very poor quality. I have used it heavily for three days, and it is falling apart. I've been nice to it, too. I don't crack the spines on my books. I see a lot of reviewers are having theirs spiral-bound at office supply stores for a few bucks. I will do the same. My recommendation is to buy the book, but take it and have it bound before you use it. In addition to the binding being awful, the pages seem to not hold up well to handling. So spiral bound the thing, use a cookbook stand for sure, and maybe place a clear laminate sheet across the pages while cooking. It is nuisance for sure, but the recipes are so good that I have ordered Well Fed 2.

Sally's Baking Addiction: Irresistible Cupcakes, Cookies, and Desserts for Your Sweet Tooth Fix
Price: $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm Sorry I Doubted Sally, June 17, 2014
Amazon kept recommending this book to me based on my other purchases. After a while, I read some glowing reviews, and with a sense of caution, I ordered the book. After all, it was only $15, no real tragedy either way.

Oh wow! This book is worth every dime! Over 95% of the recipes appealed to me. I immediately made the Marshmallow Swirl S'mores Fudge. It was so simple to make, and everyone from my husband to my children was constantly in the fridge, cutting "one more piece". Then I made the Nutella Frosted Banana Cupcakes. The Nutella Frosting has been adopted by our household as the frosting of choice. We were all like cats licking cream from a bowl while groaning pathetically as we ate. Those babana cupcakes would make a fine substitute for a breakfast muffin basket if you leave off the frosting, too! Two whopping successes in a row definitely gets my vote of recommendation.

While I recommend the book, I do wish to caution that it isn't perfect. It needs another pass of proofreading/editing. I found a typo or two in the blurbs about the recipes which is technically not a huge deal. However, the recipe for the Pretzel Peanut Butter Cups does not include the use of pretzels in either the recipe or the ingredient list. Any reader should be able to utilize common sense to figure out from the photo that a pretzel goes on the top and bottom of the Peanut Butter Cup, but I've been reviewing cookbooks for years so I can tell you that this kind of omission matters to people.

Sally is a gifted food photographer. It amazes me that the photos she takes match the quality of the recipes she writes. The book is well made, and it stays open to cook with without the use of a cookbook stand, if you so wish. The font for recipes is a bit on the small side, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem. You will find a broad range of delicious treats to cook. This book is what you pull out for any occasion: birthday parties, girls' night in, bakes sales, and showers. It is fun treat cooking, and I can't imagine many home cooks not being able to glean something delicious from this awesome book. Sally, I hope there's a sequel in the works!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14