Profile for Beach Gal > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Beach Gal RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Vollrath Z4014 Aluminum Wear-Ever Fry Pan with CeramiGuard II Non-Stick Coating, 14-Inch
Price: $81.78
7 used & new from $47.19

3.0 out of 5 stars Patience required for glass-top use, March 10, 2015
Like another reviewer, I have a glass-top stove. Unless you warm up the pan very slowly (starting on Low, then up to Medium, then to Medium-High), it warps too much on the bottom. And you've got to have something in it while it warms up--I use water, then dump it out. If you keep it on Low, it stays pretty flat, but Low isn't hot enough for my use. I bought it specifically because other reviewers have used it successfully on Medium-High, which I like to use to stir-fry and sear, and you usually can't do that with a nonstick pan. The warping doesn't matter as much if you are constantly stir-frying and moving food around (except you have to hold the handle because not much of the pan contacts the stove so it moves) but if you are just letting things sit in it, the center gets much hotter because of the warping. It washes beautifully. I don't think it's too heavy, and yes, it's big--just what I wanted.

Cuisinart CPT-122 Compact 2-Slice Toaster
Cuisinart CPT-122 Compact 2-Slice Toaster
Price: $29.95
42 used & new from $25.99

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT a true bagel toaster, August 20, 2014
I let this toaster go through six cycles, because I've read that toasters need a few run-throughs. The regular setting is identical to the bagel setting, I took photos to prove it. All four heating elements heat up the same amount on both settings, instead of just two elements for bagels or English muffins. My search for a true bagel setting will continue...how exasperating.

SATIN SMOOTH Nice 'N Neat Single Cartridge Wax Warmer Kit
SATIN SMOOTH Nice 'N Neat Single Cartridge Wax Warmer Kit
Offered by muzzha!
Price: $58.00
11 used & new from $48.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Much Better Than "Warmer Pot and Stick" for Me, August 6, 2014
I bought this to replace a traditional wax "pot and stick" system for leg waxing. It's much better. There are no drips, it's easier and much faster, and it's especially easier to apply the wax to awkward places (backs of knees, for example), and the wax goes on more evenly. The cartridge holder doesn't get covered with wax like the pot did. I used to put a folded shower curtain on the floor and then an old sheet on top of that, and there were drips everywhere. For this, I just sat on a towel-covered chair and put my foot up on a stool. Simple. No drips.

The bottled skin products with it are fine, but I don't find them any better than what I used before (baby oil to wipe up spills, baby wipes--or any cleanser-- for pre-treatment, regular lotion afterwards and regular aloe gel from the drugstore). You do have to be careful to hold the wax cartridge unit at a 45 degree angle, or even steeper. The wax does not come out smoothly (like it shows in the picture), it "misses" very tiny areas, but it still works well enough. I've been waxing my legs for several years with the old system and my skin is pretty tough so I don't get any rashes afterwards, maybe a few red spots that last only a little while. I did wait the full recommended 30 minutes to stabilize the consistency of the wax while heating, but I had to turn up the temperature a notch past medium to get it to stay runny enough. I will try it even higher next time to see if it thins it out more, or I might try a different kind of wax as it seemed kind of thick in places. It was pink wax, like the photo. I did my lower legs and it did not use a whole cartridge. You can apply several sections of wax at a time and then strip them.

As for the non woven strips that came with it, I will use them all up but I prefer cutting my own muslin ones from a roll (GIGI Natural Muslin Roll) with pinking shears (no loose threads sticking to your legs). Muslin molds better to my bony/curved areas (ankles, knees). I cut a whole bunch of strips at once, putting the roll on my paper towel rod (which lets it spin freely but keeps it in place) for the cutting. I use each strip twice (it works even though it's got wax on it for the second use), then fold it in half to use a clean "half section" for smaller, left over areas. That's also a good way to get rid of missed wax globs; back when I let them practice on me at the local beauty college (that's how I learned to do it myself) they just took a strip and quickly "stabbed" at the wax glob and it lifts right off. It's too hard to get those off with oil.

This will be five stars if I figure out how to get the wax a bit thinner.

IMCG Non-Stick Liner Roll 13" x 70" with Templates
IMCG Non-Stick Liner Roll 13" x 70" with Templates
Offered by UnbeatableSale, Inc
Price: $20.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the trick, June 4, 2014
I bought this to replace my ancient Dupont Teflon Bakeware Liners, which now have too many cuts in them (from family members who can't remember not to use regular knives...). I haven't been able to find the originals. I liked that I could cut them to fit. They are thinner than the old liners, but do the trick, and the price was very reasonable.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the trick, June 4, 2014
Someone who will remain nameless keeps losing the balls (that come in the blender bottles) when he goes out of town. These work well for protein shakes. They arrived in about 10 days, but that was fine.

2013-2014 Ford C-Max Custom Fit Sun Shade Heat Shield
2013-2014 Ford C-Max Custom Fit Sun Shade Heat Shield
Offered by Autonotions, LLC
Price: $39.25
4 used & new from $28.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shade, June 4, 2014
This is a great shade. I live in a sunny climate and have always bought the cheap (under $10) reflective shades, but they are too small for the C-Max. I actually got this from the Ford dealer for a few dollars less, but the model number and manufacturer (Intro-Tech FD-55) are the same as listed here. This is very sturdy and of better quality than any of the other reflective shades I've owned, and it fits perfectly. Hooray! Combined with after-market window tinting, we are much happier campers.

2 EYELASH SERUM - SELECT LASH (0.16 oz x 2 bottles)
2 EYELASH SERUM - SELECT LASH (0.16 oz x 2 bottles)
Offered by theAlist
Price: $5.83
9 used & new from $4.93

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me, October 16, 2013
I tried this stuff faithfully, twice a day for 8 weeks. No change. However, it seemed to help as a "primer"--making my lashes look fuller after putting mascara on.

Farberware High Performance Nonstick 12" Covered Deep Skillet, Black
Farberware High Performance Nonstick 12" Covered Deep Skillet, Black
Price: $29.99
7 used & new from $29.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Warped on low heat, September 12, 2013
I had high hopes for this skillet: deep, with a clear glass lid, and nonstick. Unfortunately, the bottom warped when I had it on low heat on my glass cooktop stove. This meant it was no longer in contact with part of the burner. It's going back. I have a great Farberware 12" nonstick skillet (with no lid) that is shallower and heavier; it is the "Classic Stainless Steel" but the nonstick coating was wearing off. I can't find the pan anymore although it's not that old.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2015 9:39 AM PDT

Veet High Precision Facial Wax Hair Remover, 0.50 Ounce
Veet High Precision Facial Wax Hair Remover, 0.50 Ounce
Offered by A Little Bit Of Everything Discount Outlet
Price: $3.89
25 used & new from $0.99

1.0 out of 5 stars other Veet product better for mustache, June 20, 2013
I bought this because I wanted to control exactly where the wax goes. It didn't work for me at all. I even warmed up the tube by putting it in mug of steaming water, but that didn't help. It didn't go on neatly but I figured that didn't matter, at least it was in the right place. No hair came off, though, when I put on the strips to pull the wax off. I tried several times over a week or so.

I have a lot of experience waxing; I wax my own legs using traditional wax and muslin strips. I have gone back to the Veet Ready to Use Wax Strips for Face, which I'd used for a long time. They work very well, taking off both fine and coarse hair. I warm them with my hair dryer. They are too big, but I cut off the "paper" along one long side so I can see where my lips begin (yikes, I don't want wax on my lips), and cut off some of the "waxed" part of the paper as well to make the wax section shorter.

Oster 6331 Inspire 2-Slice Toaster, White
Oster 6331 Inspire 2-Slice Toaster, White
Price: $19.99
8 used & new from $15.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful., December 7, 2012
As others have said, poor toasting. We use it mostly for bagels. If you turn it on, with nothing in it, you can see the elements and what they are doing. On the Bagel setting, the outer two elements heat up a lot (the directions say to put the bagels in with cut edge facing OUT, counterintuitive) and the inner elements heat up a little bit, a bit later. If you change the setting to Toast, guess what? The elements heat up exactly the same way!! There must be some reflective heating going on as well, judging by the degree of toasting when comparing the two sides. Bagels turn out toasted on BOTH sides, the cut side and the not-cut side. What a waste.

Page: 1 | 2