Profile for D. Chambers > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 62

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Chambers RSS Feed (Arizona)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
TurboTax Deluxe 2014 Fed + State + Fed Efile Tax Software + Refund Bonus Offer
TurboTax Deluxe 2014 Fed + State + Fed Efile Tax Software + Refund Bonus Offer
Price: $49.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Hopeless. Musta hired some teenage MBA from India as the Marketing VP., December 8, 2014
I was out at the Costco in early December. They had the TurboTax display 6 feet inside the door. Another customer and I walked right up to the four products on display. Bafflement--where's Deluxe??. Note that the cover says in LARGE letters "Deductions and Homeowners". Then in teeny tiny font: "deluxe" which we simpletons overlooked. The clerk assured us that the real stuff would arrive soon. All three of us were tricked, and wandered away, cuz it was right there, cleverly camouflaged.

This useless change will cause promotions and bonuses for the executives involved.

There will be more promotions and bonuses the following year when they change it back. Mama mia!

Azio Large Print Tri-Color Backlit Wired Keyboard (KB505U)
Azio Large Print Tri-Color Backlit Wired Keyboard (KB505U)
Price: $19.99
16 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Info on the mute button., December 4, 2014
Mute button didn't work at first. The mute button is great for killing those darn pop-up noisy adverts.

So I unplugged the old keyboard, leaving just a single keyboard, re-booted. No problem now.

I'm a heavy-duty typer, but I do glance at the keyboard from time to time. The N key had entirely worn off the old keyboard, and typing in a dark room was iffy. The new one seems ok for now. The keys are somewhat nicely dimpled, despite reports from some reviewers that they were "flat". And they'll never have the nice feel of the old steel IBM PC keyboards, made in America by Americans, what a novel idea...

I must recommend this to my mother, who has macular degeneration.

It is great to have a USB cable connexion. That way you don't end up with dead batteries and wireless pairing problems.

That's all I have after two days. The rest of the reviews cover it completely. Five stars for the super price.

Avery Small Tent Cards, 2 x 3.5 Inches, White,  Box of 160 (5302)
Avery Small Tent Cards, 2 x 3.5 Inches, White, Box of 160 (5302)
Price: $13.99
33 used & new from $9.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Total idiocy., November 15, 2014
All in all, this has been a disaster for the last two Thanksgivings. I've spent 4 or 5 hours each year trying to get the template software to simply put the person's name on the backside of the tent card. (Total failure each year). It needs to be "upside down" so that guests can see the name no matter which side of the table they are sitting at.

The best that anyone can suggest is to run the sheets thru the printer TWICE. Are you kidding? It's nearly 2015.

Once again, using magic marker to write them up. Really a sad case of software incompetence. Should have hired some American programmers....

Vinara Wine Opener Foil Remover Sharp 4 Wheel Wine Foil Cutter with Magnets, (Black)
Offered by e-Selling
Price: $6.99
2 used & new from $5.95

3.0 out of 5 stars The wheels came off. Literally., August 10, 2014
After six months of usage, the wheels literally fell off. The problem is that the wheels are held by a rivet that is (loosely) pressed into the plastic. The cutting is excellent. But if the topmost portion of the winemaker's foil capsule is held on by glue, any attempt to pull off the foil off the bottle will ultimately loosen a cutting wheel.

So I'm ordering two or three and treating it like shaving equipment that doesn't last too long. The price is right, and free shipping by Prime. I fear that the higher-priced units have the same limitations, and would love for someone to reply via comment if they have found (& Tested!)something better.

Irwin Tools 4935643 Black Oxide Hex Shank Drill Bit, 5/64-Inch
Irwin Tools 4935643 Black Oxide Hex Shank Drill Bit, 5/64-Inch
Price: $18.04
33 used & new from $16.51

2.0 out of 5 stars Caution--some sizes missing, February 6, 2014
Most such sets have 13 bits. This has just 11. Size 15/64th is one of the two that is missing.

LG Electronics Super Multi Portable 8x External DVD Rewriter with M-DISC Support GP30NB40

5.0 out of 5 stars Used it for a year; still happy!, December 8, 2013
I bought this in Fall, 2012, so have been using it for over a year. It isn't often that one encounters a product that just works--with no need to call Tech Support in Communist China or download esoteric drivers or post questions to other users.

It exceeds expectations for me.

I use it to load older software from the installation disks. I know, we are all supposed to download (the modern way) but what happens when the vendor goes out of business, or wants exorbitant fees for an "update" that has no new features or bug fixes, I ask you? Yes; we use the good old CDs and DVDs. Especially handy when moving to a new machine.

I use it to clone security tools like my multi-license Norton across my desktops and laptops. When the PC is dead with a virus, and you need to restart from a clean Norton recovery disk, nothing is better than a portable drive when you need it.

I cannot comment on burning disks, since I only used this for reading, so far. Others seem to like it.

I loved the comment from another reviewer about how Apple charges $200 for a CD/DVD reader. It used to be that laptops all came with CD/DVD readers. But since they are rarely used in most cases, they just added weight. So to pay $200 for something that is used infrequently strikes me as, well, preposterous, and it is good to have alternatives like this. Especially when they break. I hate to criticize, but I have paid $6 for a generic $35 Apple cable, if you know what I mean.

I hope these comments are useful. Please click "yes" or provide Comment Feedback.

Oh yes, this drive and its little cable fit right into a quart zip-lock bag, for traveling.

Maximize Your Medicare: Understanding Medicare, Protecting Your Health, and Minimizing Costs
by Jae W. Oh
Price: $10.82
27 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Medicare for this Dummy, July 26, 2013
I got this instead of the Dummy book (cuz Dummy was not yet published--due out in 6 months). This book is highly satisfying, and it gives good, specific, advice.

I next read the annual paperback manual which is put out by the Medicare people in Washington, and is free, very clearly written, and has state-specific info bound into the book as appendices, depending on which state you live in. As with any government document, it maintains a neutral point of view. My mother swears by this manual, which is mailed to Medicare participants in the fall of each year. She actually reads it. You should too. Free at www dot medicare dot gov.

In my opinion, you will need both manuals. They can each be read in 2-4 hours, since many chapters are simply not applicable.

The strength of Maximizing your Medicare is that it recommends certain plans, for example, Medigap. It also has abundant little 1/2-page case studies in what not to do.

The government annual Medicare book has great tables. One is a simple one-page flowchart showing the difference between The Medicare Part C (i.e. Advantage a.k.a. HMO/PPO options) vs. Medigap. Another is a listing of all the Medigap (a.k.a. Supplemental) plans, from F, G, etc etc (I call them the alphabet soup plans, to avoid confusing with Medicare parts A/B/C/D. The state-specific appendix shows the Satisfaction Rankings for all the different providers, such as Cigna, Aetna, Humana, etc.

Update 3-2014: I loaned this book out, but needed it again, so I bought a second copy, which happened to be the 2014 edition. Obviously, Medicare changes very slowly, and the biggest recent change was Part D (Drugs) back around 2004. However, the book was up-to-date, so you can rely on its being current. A houseguest who is turning 65 soon devoured it during her visit, and loved it.

If this is helpful, please click "helpful." If not, leave me a comment. Thanks.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2014 3:46 AM PDT

White-Rodgers 1F95EZ-0671 Easy Reader Thermostat
White-Rodgers 1F95EZ-0671 Easy Reader Thermostat
Offered by Plumbing Planet
Price: $83.74
12 used & new from $65.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A different perspective, May 15, 2013
OK. My old round Honeywell Mercury thing got replaced 8 years ago by some digital thing (not this product) which was pretty much lame. It finally gave up the ghost, and I tried to find the old Honeywell thing since they last centuries and are bulletproof...could not find it in the garage; must have recycled it.

So the service tech offered us a buffet of products. We picked this one. He confirmed that it was the most popular, largely cuz of the big VISIBLE numbers. What a novel idea: 40-plus-year-olds need not get their glasses. (Not 40? Your day is coming.)

Next option: do you want programmable or non-programmable? We picked non-programmable, which is kinda like the old Honeywell round mercury thing from 50 years ago. You've got your Heat button, A/C button, OFF button, and of course the FAN (On/Auto) button for those fools who like to pump cool air up into the 150F attic while the compressor is off. Seems logical, but it isn't--why do they even allow this?? Then you have your Temp Up button, and your Temp Down button.

Here is how to program the non-programmable unit: as you leave the house, you choose OFF or a higher temperature. When you return, change it back. As victims of Communist Chinese products, there are very few choices that we have these days. One is to pick a flavor at the drive-thru-coffee, and the second is to press buttons on the thermo. Voila.

By the way, did I mention that there is a battery strength meter directly on the display? Oh joy!

Very happy so far, except for the markup of the outcall. Oh well I suppose I got full satisfaction.

Comments? Please click the button & I will try to help out.

Helpful? Ditto.

Girls: Season 1
Girls: Season 1
DVD ~ Various
Price: $14.99
16 used & new from $5.53

5.0 out of 5 stars There are cheaper copies on Amazon...., March 8, 2013
This review is from: Girls: Season 1 (DVD)
I was searching to buy this title used and ended up here. However, the same thing is available elsewhere on Amazon: Just search 9781622241293 which is the ISBN of an alternate edition. Much cheaper, at this time.

Helpful? If so, Click yes. Otherwise post a comment and I will try to clarify.

TurboTax Home and Business Fed + E-File + State 2012 [Old Version]
TurboTax Home and Business Fed + E-File + State 2012 [Old Version]
Offered by Nerdy Deals
Price: $16.00
16 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT the same as Turbo Tax Business. Especially 1041., March 6, 2013
If you are looking for form 1041 (Trusts or Estates) or form 1120 (Partnerships) or form 1065 (LLCs) then do NOT buy the TT Home and Business. You must buy the TT Business, which is available elsewhere on Amz.

TT Home and Business only handles form 1040 and Schedule C (business expenses).

Please click the Helpful button if you get a chance. There must be a few of you!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7