Profile for D. Chambers > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 59

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Chambers RSS Feed (Arizona)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Vinara [RAZOR SHARP] 4 Wheel Foil Cutter Remover Wine Opener Barware for Red and White Wines with [Magnets] - [Attachable to Refrigerators] Easy Foil Cutting! Very Convenient and Easy to Use - Perfect for Restaurants, Bars, Gifts, Celebrations, Parties and Social Events
Offered by e-Selling
Price: $6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The wheels came off. Literally., August 10, 2014
After six months of usage, the wheels literally fell off. The problem is that the wheels are held by a rivet that is (loosely) pressed into the plastic. The cutting is excellent. But if the topmost portion of the winemaker's foil capsule is held on by glue, any attempt to pull off the foil off the bottle will ultimately loosen a cutting wheel.

So I'm ordering two or three and treating it like shaving equipment that doesn't last too long. The price is right, and free shipping by Prime. I fear that the higher-priced units have the same limitations, and would love for someone to reply via comment if they have found (& Tested!)something better.

Irwin Tools 4935643 Black Oxide Hex Shank Drill Bit, 5/64-Inch
Irwin Tools 4935643 Black Oxide Hex Shank Drill Bit, 5/64-Inch
Price: $21.89
30 used & new from $14.64

2.0 out of 5 stars Caution--some sizes missing, February 6, 2014
Most such sets have 13 bits. This has just 11. Size 15/64th is one of the two that is missing.

LG Electronics Super Multi Portable 8x External DVD Rewriter with M-DISC Support GP30NB40
Offered by Fire Sale Price
Price: $27.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Used it for a year; still happy!, December 8, 2013
I bought this in Fall, 2012, so have been using it for over a year. It isn't often that one encounters a product that just works--with no need to call Tech Support in Communist China or download esoteric drivers or post questions to other users.

It exceeds expectations for me.

I use it to load older software from the installation disks. I know, we are all supposed to download (the modern way) but what happens when the vendor goes out of business, or wants exorbitant fees for an "update" that has no new features or bug fixes, I ask you? Yes; we use the good old CDs and DVDs. Especially handy when moving to a new machine.

I use it to clone security tools like my multi-license Norton across my desktops and laptops. When the PC is dead with a virus, and you need to restart from a clean Norton recovery disk, nothing is better than a portable drive when you need it.

I cannot comment on burning disks, since I only used this for reading, so far. Others seem to like it.

I loved the comment from another reviewer about how Apple charges $200 for a CD/DVD reader. It used to be that laptops all came with CD/DVD readers. But since they are rarely used in most cases, they just added weight. So to pay $200 for something that is used infrequently strikes me as, well, preposterous, and it is good to have alternatives like this. Especially when they break. I hate to criticize, but I have paid $6 for a generic $35 Apple cable, if you know what I mean.

I hope these comments are useful. Please click "yes" or provide Comment Feedback.

Oh yes, this drive and its little cable fit right into a quart zip-lock bag, for traveling.

Maximize Your Medicare: Understanding Medicare, Protecting Your Health, and Minimizing Costs
by Jae W. Oh
Price: $10.70
31 used & new from $0.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Medicare for this Dummy, July 26, 2013
I got this instead of the Dummy book (cuz Dummy was not yet published--due out in 6 months). This book is highly satisfying, and it gives good, specific, advice.

I next read the annual paperback manual which is put out by the Medicare people in Washington, and is free, very clearly written, and has state-specific info bound into the book as appendices, depending on which state you live in. As with any government document, it maintains a neutral point of view. My mother swears by this manual, which is mailed to Medicare participants in the fall of each year. She actually reads it. You should too. Free at www dot medicare dot gov.

In my opinion, you will need both manuals. They can each be read in 2-4 hours, since many chapters are simply not applicable.

The strength of Maximizing your Medicare is that it recommends certain plans, for example, Medigap. It also has abundant little 1/2-page case studies in what not to do.

The government annual Medicare book has great tables. One is a simple one-page flowchart showing the difference between The Medicare Part C (i.e. Advantage a.k.a. HMO/PPO options) vs. Medigap. Another is a listing of all the Medigap (a.k.a. Supplemental) plans, from F, G, etc etc (I call them the alphabet soup plans, to avoid confusing with Medicare parts A/B/C/D. The state-specific appendix shows the Satisfaction Rankings for all the different providers, such as Cigna, Aetna, Humana, etc.

Update 3-2014: I loaned this book out, but needed it again, so I bought a second copy, which happened to be the 2014 edition. Obviously, Medicare changes very slowly, and the biggest recent change was Part D (Drugs) back around 2004. However, the book was up-to-date, so you can rely on its being current. A houseguest who is turning 65 soon devoured it during her visit, and loved it.

If this is helpful, please click "helpful." If not, leave me a comment. Thanks.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2014 3:46 AM PDT

White-Rodgers 1F95EZ-0671 Easy Reader Thermostat
White-Rodgers 1F95EZ-0671 Easy Reader Thermostat
Price: $95.17
18 used & new from $48.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A different perspective, May 15, 2013
OK. My old round Honeywell Mercury thing got replaced 8 years ago by some digital thing (not this product) which was pretty much lame. It finally gave up the ghost, and I tried to find the old Honeywell thing since they last centuries and are bulletproof...could not find it in the garage; must have recycled it.

So the service tech offered us a buffet of products. We picked this one. He confirmed that it was the most popular, largely cuz of the big VISIBLE numbers. What a novel idea: 40-plus-year-olds need not get their glasses. (Not 40? Your day is coming.)

Next option: do you want programmable or non-programmable? We picked non-programmable, which is kinda like the old Honeywell round mercury thing from 50 years ago. You've got your Heat button, A/C button, OFF button, and of course the FAN (On/Auto) button for those fools who like to pump cool air up into the 150F attic while the compressor is off. Seems logical, but it isn't--why do they even allow this?? Then you have your Temp Up button, and your Temp Down button.

Here is how to program the non-programmable unit: as you leave the house, you choose OFF or a higher temperature. When you return, change it back. As victims of Communist Chinese products, there are very few choices that we have these days. One is to pick a flavor at the drive-thru-coffee, and the second is to press buttons on the thermo. Voila.

By the way, did I mention that there is a battery strength meter directly on the display? Oh joy!

Very happy so far, except for the markup of the outcall. Oh well I suppose I got full satisfaction.

Comments? Please click the button & I will try to help out.

Helpful? Ditto.

Girls: Season 1
Girls: Season 1
DVD ~ Various
Price: $17.78
20 used & new from $10.65

5.0 out of 5 stars There are cheaper copies on Amazon...., March 8, 2013
This review is from: Girls: Season 1 (DVD)
I was searching to buy this title used and ended up here. However, the same thing is available elsewhere on Amazon: Just search 9781622241293 which is the ISBN of an alternate edition. Much cheaper, at this time.

Helpful? If so, Click yes. Otherwise post a comment and I will try to clarify.

TurboTax Home and Business Fed + E-File + State 2012
TurboTax Home and Business Fed + E-File + State 2012
Offered by TopChoice
Price: $18.00
20 used & new from $14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT the same as Turbo Tax Business. Especially 1041., March 6, 2013
If you are looking for form 1041 (Trusts or Estates) or form 1120 (Partnerships) or form 1065 (LLCs) then do NOT buy the TT Home and Business. You must buy the TT Business, which is available elsewhere on Amz.

TT Home and Business only handles form 1040 and Schedule C (business expenses).

Please click the Helpful button if you get a chance. There must be a few of you!

SANOXY Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad
SANOXY Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad
Offered by Cozyswan
Price: $14.98
6 used & new from $9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Better choice available., January 26, 2013
I've checked out several and finally bought another item, the "Logitech Keyboard Case for iPad 2 with Built-In Keyboard and Stand (920-003402)" by Logitech (which is available on Amz). It's a keyboard AND a hard aluminum cover. Superb!

Plus, it will support the 'pad in either landscape or portrait orientation.

Please click Helpful, or Comment with problems. Thanks.

HP WiFi Mouse
HP WiFi Mouse
Offered by MYeHUT Inc
Price: $11.98
38 used & new from $9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars One little follow-up about WiFi..., January 25, 2013
This review is from: HP WiFi Mouse (Personal Computers)
Many prople have complained in other reviews that this mouse will not work in a zone that has no WiFi. I have not found this to be the case. Indeed, looking at a network map (in a no-WiFi zone) will show the PC as the master and mouse as the slave, and if the PC is in a WiFi zone, a second network entirely is displayed, with the router as the master and the PC as the slave. Tech Talk for Easy PC.

Some complain of battery life. Yes, if you don't turn off the mouse when you are away, the battery life is shortened. But this is true of any mouse that doesn't have a cord.

Surprise! The center wheel is a delight, after my clunky Microsoft wired mouse; it rolls nicely without the bumpiness. Previously I preferred to use the elevator shaft on the right-hand side of the page to scroll; the wheel is nicer.

Surprise! Hover on a hyperlink, and click it with the center wheel to open it in a new window. This is true of any mouse, but I had totally forgotten it since the other meese I had were so clunky. (Before this, I would right-click the link to bring up the context menu, then scroll to "Open in new window.") Joy.

I have not had side buttons before. They do a Page-Up and Page-Down. LIKE.

Please click if helpful. Comment if not. Thanks.

LG Electronics Portable 8x Slim DVD+/-RW External Drive with M-DISC Support, Black (GP30NB30)
Offered by Fire Sale Price
Price: $24.99
4 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch, then pressed the button...., December 25, 2012
Slowly I turned, cringing, then pressed the button to install this. I was holding on for dear life after reading some of the bad reviews.

The cable-plugin process took about 30 seconds, and Windoze 7 took about 5 seconds to recognize the device, and it was all over. Piece of cake. Folks, it doesn't get much easier than this.

I didn't even take the DVD of software out of its envelope. The DVD contains no drivers, just some bloatware that is not necessary for me since I only use my drive for Reading DVDs. Those of you who Write DVDs may need to choose some of those products--I can't speak to that.

I installed Turbo-Tax 2012 on my itty-bitty laptop as an experiment, and it took no longer than my giant power-user desktop did to read the DVD and install it and execute it. Yes, Virginia, there is such a thing as synchronizing your software across 2 or 3 machines, and by using DVDs I can install an older version of Excel 2007, same as my desktop, onto my little traveling laptop. No I don't want different versions on different machines and no, I don't want to figure out what features the kids at Microslop have removed or relocated or renamed (or worse yet, "improved") in the current version, and pay $100 for the latest "release".

Those who disagree with this review are invited to upgrade to Windoze 8; case closed. (You Mac users are exempt, as I have no clue what your issues are. Altho I can say that I will never be able to plug this device into my i-Pad or i_Phoney)

In summary, this is an excellent little DVD drive that I use to read DVDs with. Others seem to use it to write DVDs with good success. I take mine on the road, and the drive and the cables all fit in a Ziploc quart freezer bag. I am really impressed, after my initial wariness. Please excuse any outrageous statements; leave me a comment if I have offended you and I will try to make it better. Also click on the Helpful button if possible.

Peace, brothers and sisters. Christmas 2012.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2013 7:38 AM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6