Profile for Pamela Evans > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pamela Evans "evansedits" RSS Feed (Puerto Vallarta, Mexico)

Page: 1 | 2
HERO-LED T4 G8.6 / GY8.6 Base LED Halogen Replacement Bulb, Under Counter Light, Kitchen Lighting, Under-cabinet Light, Accent Light, Puck Light, Desk Lamp and Landscape Lighting, 20W Equal, 5-Pack, Warm White 2700K / Soft White
Offered by HERO-LED USA
Price: $75.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Another mistake of mine, May 15, 2015
I thought these would substitute for the 20-watt halogens in my range hood, but the pins were slightly too far apart. I had to return them.

(6-PACK) LED MR16 Bi-pin GU5.3 Base, 50W Equivalent, High Power, 12-Volt AC/DC Warm White Light Bulbs, Non-Dimmable 38 degree beam angle
Offered by Glowker
Price: $29.99

3.0 out of 5 stars My mistake, May 15, 2015
I'm sure they were fine, but I bought the wrong bulbs. These are 12-volt, so the three I tried immediately blew out in my 130-volt system (I live in Mexico). Am hoping to return them. I wanted to replace 50-watt halogen downlights, and these were a tad too large for the holders, in any case.

The Worricker Trilogy Season 1
The Worricker Trilogy Season 1
DVD
Price: $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Actors good; scripts predictable, February 20, 2015
Anything that Bill Nighy appears in is great, in my world. The first episode was the usual confusing spy stuff, but the second, with great supports like Walken, Bonham Carter, and Ryder, was a lot better.

Vanilla Beans And Brodo: Real Life In The Hills Of Tuscany
Vanilla Beans And Brodo: Real Life In The Hills Of Tuscany
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $9.46

2.0 out of 5 stars We've seen way too many exemplars of this genre..., October 23, 2014
The writing was so bad I couldn't finish it, though the chapter about the archery competition picked up the pace. This book needed cutting in half and a competent line editor to week out all the repetitive verbiage. Can't believe a reputable publishing co. picked it up. I'm just back from Montalcino, and I felt no correspondence at all between the town and the hype of this account. Yes, it's lovely, but many places are, and the author makes this the one and only. Amusing that she says in her intro that the book is not about her but rather her neighbors, because her personality comes through loud and strong and unnecessarily.

The Sweet Life in Paris: Delicious Adventures in the World's Most Glorious - and Perplexing - City
by David Lebovitz
Price: $7.81
158 used & new from $1.34

3.0 out of 5 stars Splenda More Than Sugar, March 7, 2014
I enjoyed this, despite agreeing with some other reviewers that it's been done better before by others. The writing style is a tad forced to my ear, ditto the humor. Some observations are dated at this point, vide those on fashion. But the author's persona is likable—and of course for readers addicted to all things Paris, it's a must.

Neutrogena Visibly Even Daily Moisturizer, SPF 30, 1.7 Ounce
Neutrogena Visibly Even Daily Moisturizer, SPF 30, 1.7 Ounce
Price: $12.55
15 used & new from $6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Melts right in, March 7, 2014
This is a perfect replacement for Neutrogena's Ageless Essentials Continuous Hydration (daytime), which—like all good products—seems to have been discontinued. I am relieved to find it.

Foyle's War, Series 1
Foyle's War, Series 1
DVD
Price: $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing ever made for the small screen, December 23, 2013
We've watched this three times, now, seeing new details and appreciating the characters more every time. Great history, wonderful stories.

Gourmet Today: More than 1000 All-New Recipes for the Contemporary Kitchen
Gourmet Today: More than 1000 All-New Recipes for the Contemporary Kitchen
by Ruth Reichl
42 used & new from $2.75

5.0 out of 5 stars It can recharge your "enthusiasm batteries" for cooking, October 12, 2013
I was worried that this compilation wouldn't live up to its yellow predecessor, but I now probably use them equally. The green book challenges me more, spurring me to buy new ingredients (such as pomegranate molasses) and to try unlikely-sounding combinations--so it's been responsible for a renaissance in my kitchen. I love the Grilled Dishes section (try the Grilled Eggplant with Yogurt Mint Sauce, and sauce some grilled chicken while you're at it). Yes, a lot of the recipes are time-consuming, but I think that's partly due to their ethnic origins: Third-World dishes can require a lot more massaging to bring out the flavor of humble ingredients. You just have to trust that each time you make a complex recipe it will get easier... as a new route does when you're driving or walking.

Oddly, another reviewer raved about the Spicy Chicken, whereas I had penciled next to it, "greasy, salty." You never know; every cook is different. But I'm willing to try it again based on that comment. I'd like to promise you that you'll forever treasure the Chicken Cashew Chili... but someone else will undoubtedly have nixed it in her/his copy!

A last word, about the index: it's what a cookbook index should be, and more. You can find a vaguely recalled recipe in any one of a number of ways, from ingredients to ethnic style to meal category. The cross-referencing throughout the book is likewise flawless. As a former editor and indexer, I'm delighted to see publishers' money spent on these kinds of details; too many of my formerly favorite recipes from other books have "disappeared" without adequate indexing to guide me back to them!

Pureness Giant Cat Litter Pan, Assorted Colors
Pureness Giant Cat Litter Pan, Assorted Colors
Price: $8.04
16 used & new from $5.71

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, October 11, 2013
I was excited to find such a large litter pan but a bit dubious because of the low price. As I should have been: the gauge of plastic is thin. My pan warped quickly from urine-soaked litter, and the plastic is scratched from cleaning. Perhaps it's best used with "clumping" litter, which keeps the moisture off the pan. But I use non-clumping, for the health of my cats. It's okay, worth the money, but I wish I'd spent more.

LDR 501 1400 Twist And Lock Kitchen Sink Strainer, Chrome
LDR 501 1400 Twist And Lock Kitchen Sink Strainer, Chrome
Price: $15.99
4 used & new from $13.57

4.0 out of 5 stars Slight design flaw, October 11, 2013
This is a handsome, strong, high-quality product. My only complaint is that it's hard to get food out of the deep basket; the twist bar blocks my fingers a bit.

Page: 1 | 2