Profile for Michael Dixey > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael Dixey "Tru PRS Fan" RSS Feed (Savage, MN USA)

Blackbird
Blackbird
Price: $7.39
83 used & new from $2.27

5.0 out of 5 stars You're Listening To Greatness!!!, October 20, 2007
This review is from: Blackbird (Audio CD)
Do you remember when you were 10 years old and you got that one Christmas gift that you wanted more than anything else in the world? For that one moment, everything was right...there was nothing but joy. Well, with Alter Bridge's new album, Blackbird, all 59:17 is like that one special moment.
Whether you're one of the loyal fans counting down the days to its release, or a new listener, you realize you're in for a treat from the first 6 seconds of "Ties That Bind". The band has put forth an album that pleases all rock fans. If you like your rock a little heavy, then "Ties That Bind", "Buried Alive", "Coming Home", and, especially, "White Knuckles", will more than deliver the goods. If you like a slow song to introduce someone to the band, then let him/her have a listen to "Watch Over You". It is one of those songs that makes you want to hold up your lighter while you're listening. If you want melodic rock that begs to be played in 20,000 + person-capacity arenas, then "Before Tomorrow Comes", "Brand New Start". "Come To Life", "One By One", and "Rise Today" will make you pump your fist. Lastly, if you want an epic song that defines exactly who the band truly is, then "Blackbird", the title track, is that song. Every band craves that one song, their "Stairway To Heaven" -song, and Alter Bridge has found it with "Blackbird".
Each of the components of Alter Bridge is on full display for your listening pleasure. Mark Tremonti has established himself as the top guitarist in rock music today. His riffs, while always impressive, hit a new high. His solos, especially on "Brand New Start", will keep aspiring guitarists scratching their heads and reaching for their picks. He and Myles Kennedy will surely go down as one of the great duos in rock guitar history. They will join the likes of Angus and Malcolm Young (AC/DC), KK Downing and Glenn Tipton (Judas Priest), Adrian Smith and Dave Murray (Iron Maiden), and Matthias Jabs and Rudolph Schenker (Scorpions). But, what is truly special about Myles Kennedy is that none of those duos also have the ability to be the lead singer of their respective bands. Myles' voice will soon be one of the most recognized in rock music today. His ability to shine with slower and heavier songs show the range that most lead singers fail to possess. Scott Phillips and Brian Marshall establish backing rhythm that is purely special. Listen to "White Knuckles" to hear them on full display. Also, if you're lucky enough to own the "Best Buy" version, then listen to Brian on the bonus track "The Damage Done"...awesome! Expect each of the musicians to be featured in all of their respective instrument-magazines because everyone will want to play like them.
Every so often a band comes along that makes music that makes you feel good. No matter what type of mood you're in, you just feel good. Alter Bridge is that type of band...and Blackbird is that type of album. Every album I have ever owned has at least one song that you skip or fast-forward through. The biggest compliment that I can give to Alter Bridge is that this is the first album I've ever listened to that I did not have to/want to do that.
Whether you're listening to Blackbird alone with headphones on or driving in your car cranking it loud, realize that you're listening to greatness. I was fortunate enough to listen to that greatness on October 9th, 2007. The best part of it all, is that I get to listen to that greatness again tomorrow, and the next day, and the next...

Greg Howe
Greg Howe
Price: $17.36
16 used & new from $13.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, January 30, 2006
This review is from: Greg Howe (Audio CD)
This CD is one of the best "guitar" Cd's I've ever gotten. I remember hearing this guy's name in the mid-90's, but how is he not up there with the Vai's, Satriani's, Petrucci's etc. Do yourself a favor and get this CD...its awesome. I won't even get into each individual song because I like them all. WOW!!!!!

The Great Divide
The Great Divide
Offered by Customer Direct
Price: $3.99
158 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars A Big Creed Fan is Disappointed!!!, January 10, 2006
This review is from: The Great Divide (Audio CD)
I was and still am a HUGE Creed fan. Their songs will always remind me of my youth (growing up in the 80's and listening to hair metal). Heck, after I heard the Weathered album, I went out and bought a guitar so that I could play their songs. I was disappointed to hear that they broke up, but thought that now I could listen to 2 great bands. Alter Bridge lived up to their end, but unfortunately, Stapp didn't. Now, I'm not one to take sides so it has nothing to do with that. In fact, I think "The Great Divide" single is awesome. But all other tracks are a disappointment with a few that are really bad. I want to like this album and I've listened to it many times hoping to, but don't. I think Scott's voice has taken a beating over the years (listen to "My Own Prison", then TGD and you'll see)!! I think you'd be better off downloading TGD and leave all of the other stuff off. My recommendation is for Alter Bridge if you want that "Creed" fix...they have gotten more progressive and are bringing back the guitar solo!!!

The New Rules of Lifting: Six Basic Moves for Maximum Muscle
The New Rules of Lifting: Six Basic Moves for Maximum Muscle
by Alwyn Cosgrove
81 used & new from $0.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book - research-backed resource, January 5, 2006
This is a phenomenal book for anyone, from the personal trainer down to the weekend-warrior. As a physical therapist and certifeid strength & conditioning specialist, I appreciated all of the research references. Lou and Alwyn have done their homework to make this program. I'm looking forward to using their workouts and I'll report back in the future (for those that may find it helpful). Although, there are "only" 6 basic moves, there are many variations of the moves, so don't think for a minute that the routines will be boring.

BTW, this ties in real nicely with the works of Gray Cook, who has developed a Functional Movement screen around the 7 main movements of the body. Funny, how these tie in together. Its about time that someone has made this program simple for the masses. Lou, Alwyn, Mark Verstegen, Gray Cook, and Mike Boyle have got IT. Nice job to the authors!!!

One Day Remains
One Day Remains
Offered by The Music Connection Wholesale
Price: $9.99
76 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The best CD I've listened to in a while, November 24, 2004
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
Alter Bridge has made the best CD I've listened to in a long time. The debut album from this band is AWESOME!!! From the first track to the last, each song brings out a different emotion. My personal favorite is "One Day Remains". Being a guitarist myself, I always listen to the guitars first. Mark Tremonti has been blowing me away ever since "My Own Prison" with Creed. He has truly evolved with this CD. Do yourself a favor and get this CD. You will listen to it every day in yor car or at work and will be longing for the day when they play a concert near you. And go see them live. I've seen them twice and they are incredible!!! I hope this review helps...go get this CD!!!

Core Performance: The Revolutionary Workout Program to Transform Your Body and Your Life
by Pete Williams
120 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible resource!!!, January 11, 2004
This book is absolutely fantastic. Mark Verstegen has brought new light to the training world. With all respect to the previous reviewer, this book has more than enough exercises to make this worthwhile to any reader. Plus, if you don't have the time for a full workout, Mark offers shorter ones (including ones to do in a hotel room while you travel). There is a reason he is the top trainer in the world; he has redesigned training and taken it to the next level. I cannot wait to dive in to this program with the hopes of finally getting rid of my back and knee pain. If all you want are some dumbbell and barbell exercises, then this book is not for you. But, if you want a great resource that can take your training to the next level, then this is your book. Thanks Mark for sharing your ideas. This book is years ahead of its time. Get this book!!!!

Functional Training for Sports
Functional Training for Sports
by Michael Boyle
Price: $16.10
116 used & new from $4.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Great training book for anyone who wants to become better, November 13, 2003
Michael Boyle has done a great job with this book. This is the best and most informative book on the market. The exercises and progressions are easy to follow. I strongly recommend this book. It goes nicely with Gray Cook's "Athletic Body in Balance".