Profile for ZenWoman > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 372

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

ZenWoman RSS Feed (WA, USA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
SmartyPants Adult Complete plus Fiber: Multivitamin, Omega 3, Vitamin D, No Added Sugar, 180 count
Price: $39.95

4.0 out of 5 stars A full package of vitamins, omega 3, and some fiber too. Gummies over pills any day!, March 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These multivitamins combine vitamins, fiber and omega3 and Vitamin D for a day. I find eating gummies much more fun than swallowing capsules or pills. Some pills advise you to take 3 at a time, I am not good at swallowing pills and usually have to drink 2 glasses of water to make them go down. So gummies are far more preferable.

These taste less like gummy bears and more chewy like sour Dots. I wish they were less chewy as they tend to stick to my teeth but other than that they're fairly tasty considering there is fish oil present. If you don't sniff just chew, they taste better. Otherwise I get the faint whiff of B12 and fish oil and start getting turned off!

The price is on the higher side as I can get 2 bottles of a similar product for this price at the big warehouse store. However, these combine a lot of ingredients in one and it's not at all difficult eating 3 of these at a time, so they're still pretty good. Recommended dose is 6 gummies, and one bottle is a month's supply but I don't know if I'd like eating 6 of these at one time. Typically, I try to eat a little less than the recommended dose of vitamins as I figure I can get some of it from all the fruit and vegetables I eat every day, so I will stick to eating 3 a day, and the bottle should last me 2 months.

Hill's Ideal Balance Crafted Pacific Style Trout and Mixed Vegetables Recipe Dry Dog Food Bag, 3.3-Pound
Price: $17.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Wheat and soy free, and made in U.S.A. My lab mix liked it., March 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The ingredients in this food are natural and my lab mix dog really liked this food. Recently when I had a bad experience with Nature's Domain Salmon food from Kirkland, I've been exploring other options of brands that don't source ingredients from China. Hill's Balance claims that the food is made in U.S.A. It also does not have wheat, corn or soy that are fattening for dogs. However, this food is expensive especially for a large dog, so it's a nice one for a change or to feed as a treat or snack.

Hill's Ideal Balance has the first ingredient as Trout followed by Cracked Pearled Barley, Yellow Peas, Whole Grain Oats, Pea Protein, Chicken Meal, Chicken Fat, Chicken Liver Flavor, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Powdered Cellulose, Dried Beet Pulp, Parsley, etc. There is a long list of ingredients but they all seemed like healthy ingredients.

Recommended, if the cost works for you. My dog enjoys this food.

DII 100% Polyester, Machine Washable, Tonal Bordered Fabric Tablecloth, 60 x 84", White, Seats 6 to 8 People
Price: $27.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Gives a dinner setting a special touch and easy to launder., March 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a woven polyester fabric tablecloth that adds a touch of glamor to an ordinary wooden table for special occasions. There is something about a crisp white tablecloth that makes everything look festive. This was table cloth work nicely for my 6-8 chair table which I am currently using at the 6 person setting with the leaf removed. The main tablecloth is white and the borders are a muted beige. It's subtle and blends in well with table decor.

This tablecloth washes up well, and looks great after a wash and being thrown in a dryer with softener sheets, since it's polyester. It did not wrinkle up like some tablecloths that are pure cotton. Folding it flat helped eliminate any minor wrinkles. There are matching table mats available but it goes with all my existing table mat sets - most of which are shades of brown, beige or cream. I've had good experience with spills on other DII tablecloths, and food spills washed right out, so I am hoping this one will be the same.

Flatworld® Decorative Elegant Creative Star Throw Pillow Case Cushion Cover Linen Cotton Natural Bed Pillow Protectors Home Decors (Purple Audrey)
Offered by Teamwin Trading
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Whimsical and fun prints and great quality., March 26, 2015
This cushion cover is adorable. The print looks great - gives a shabby chic look to a room. After buying this one, I will be buying more of these in other prints. They're so whimsical, colorful and fun and paired with the right decor can give an edge to the room.

My daughter wanted to gift this Purple Audrey cat design to her teenage friend who is a cat lover and has her room decorated in pinks and mauves. Her friend simply loved it. It's a nice thick woven material with a good quality print. I loved the print but the solid quality and canvas type weave was a pleasant surprise. It should wash up well too.
[I received one cushion cover as a free sample for an unbiased review.]

Bialetti 06702 8-Cup French Press Coffee Maker, Premium Stainless Steel, Silver
Bialetti 06702 8-Cup French Press Coffee Maker, Premium Stainless Steel, Silver
Price: $34.58
4 used & new from $34.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Confessions of a coffee addict (and a French Press hoarder)., March 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have many coffee presses as it's the best way to enjoy coffee, and this is my 6th one. Yes, that's too many for one person, but I do love being able to take one with me everywhere. As an aside, did you know that you can order coffee in a press at Starbucks and enjoy a better cup of coffee?

Anyway since I have had experiences with many different french presses, I thought I'd share my experience about the ones sold on Amazon to help your decision:

My first coffee press was a Bodum Brazil (plastic version - 3 cup) from Amazon 5 years ago, and I realized it makes only a small regular cup of coffee. So I purchased another Bodum Chambord 8 cup, and a Bodum Brazil 8 cup also from Amazon - I still have all 3 presses. I have alsp since acquired a SterlingPro Chrome and a Francois et Mimi full stainless steel that were provided free to me for a review, and now this Bialetti 8 cup. I've always loved my Bialetti Moka Express 6 cup that works on a stove top and makes a mean cup of espresso. So I was curious about this french press. I had recently seen another one with a flat top plunger at IKEA and thought this was a smart design.

So here is my take on all these french presses with Bialetti press at the end:

Bodum - I've always liked the Bodum brand as it makes a great cup of coffee. The Brazil plastic version is great for work as it's light and feels more secure as the glass beaker is attached to the press. Most other machines, especially the Chrome ones you can pop put the glass beaker and wash and re-insert. The Bodum Chambord stainless is a classic and I love the clean lines but for every day use I love the Brazil. It does let a few grounds through if you have a finer grind. The plunger top in Bodum Chambord is plastic unlike the Sterling and Bialetti.

SterlingPro - The SterlingPro is almost an exact knock-off of the Bodum but it improves upon it with a double mesh screen that works well and does not let the coffee ground through. They had also sent a couple of extra screens in the box. It works well, but since I've used the Bialetti I have a new favorite.

Francois et Mimi - It's fully stainless steel and therefore unbreakable but it is single walled and gets hot and it's confusing not to be able to see the coffee grounds and liquid. It also does not keep the coffee warm as long as the glass versions. It's very functional but I still don't use it as much. I do think it's a good one if you're in a situation where you prefer something more unbreakable.

Bialetti - This Bialetti is definitely one of the nicest coffee presses I've used. It's the sturdiest in my collection as the glass beaker is thick. It's stainless steel and the glass beaker is fixed so you can't take it out of the steel casing. I like that as I find that taking out the beaker leaves some scratches on it and can make it a little delicate on the long run. However, it also means that if the beaker breaks it's not replaceable.

The handle is screwed on to the metal part and is very ergonomic and makes for easy handling when the press is full. The pouring is clean, and the plastic cover inside the top keeps the coffee hot while it's brewing for the required 3 minutes.

The flat top plunger is easier to push down than the Bodum/SterlingPro and leaves enough room for the grounds in the bottom so there is less sediment coming up into the coffee. The base of the Bialetti is also sturdier, the beaker is attached, and the base keeps it high in the casing so it does not accidentally knock on the counter and break.

The mesh screen is similar to Bodum, but it's fairly effective if the grind is right. You have to grind coffee at the right coarseness to get the best flavor from these presses. A fine grind will show up as coffee sediment and make it bitter.

Bialetti is the Lexus of coffee presses so far, and it's available at a Toyota price! It looks great on the counter too due to it's functional but sleek design. I will keep using and update if I change my opinion.

The Battle of Versailles: The Night American Fashion Stumbled into the Spotlight and Made History
by Robin Givhan
Price: $20.51
35 used & new from $16.46

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating behind-the-scenes account of the show that launched American fashion., March 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
On the fateful night of November 28, 1973 the Battle of Versailles between American fashion designers - Oscar de la Renta, Bill Blass, Anne Klein, Halston, and Stephen Burrows - and 5 French designers considered the best in the world - Yves Saint Laurent, Hubert de Givenchy, Pierre Cardin, Emanuel Ungaro, and Marc Bohan of Christian Dior. This is the story of that Battle and how Americans won over fashion that day.

Robin Givhan is a Pulitzer prize winning fashion journalist and offers a lively and meticulously well-researched account of this event. She provides us a view from the front row seats as well as behind the scenes. The book is not only a captivating look at the world of fashion but also a cultural critique of the times and the role of race and gender.

This book was an interesting read for me as it covers the history and march of fashion across the world, beginning as expected in France. Recommended for anyone interested in reading about fashion, it's a fast paced account, offering insights into the personalities that make up the fashion world, and a compelling account of how American fashion was born one night.

The Upstairs Wife: An Intimate History of Pakistan
The Upstairs Wife: An Intimate History of Pakistan
by Rafia Zakaria
Price: $16.84
53 used & new from $12.59

4.0 out of 5 stars A new perspective on Pakistan's history entwined with the story of a family., March 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Rafia Zakaria takes us from the lives of her family to the lives of people of her nation Pakistan. The beginning captured my imagination as she spoke of the assassination of the Prime Minister of Pakistan, Benazir Bhutto, which had an impact on me when it happened as I had admired her courage in face of religious conservatism in Pakistan.

Zakaria then paints a portrait of an immigrant family in Pakistan that moved during the chaos of early 1960s, and through the experiences of her family she tells us Pakistan's history and the cultural and religious beliefs. Through Zakaria's eyes we learn about the new Pakistan, the increasing conservative bent and the terrorism.

Zakaria gives us a poignant story of her family's life entwined with Pakistani history. Her current life in the US has given her perspective and she is able to tell a fascinating story about a country that remains shrouded in mystery for most of us. I found it an interesting read for Pakistan's history and politics but also the story of a family that accommodated big changes brought on by religious and cultural beliefs and practices.

EcoTools Complex Collection Eye Perfecting Face Blush,
EcoTools Complex Collection Eye Perfecting Face Blush,
Price: $6.98
4 used & new from $6.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Rounded conical top is great for under eye concealer application., March 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This eye perfecting face brush from EcoTools is the perfect brush to apply concealer below your eyes. You can also use it to apply a night cream or lotion for spot treatment but I find it most useful for concealer. It can also work as a contouring brush if you like to apply a little lighter or darker foundation in some areas of your face.

It has relatively stiff bristles but not too hard that are good for the delicate under eye area and helps with the blending of the product. It allows a little more precise application than the foundation brush. It's also narrow enough to be dipped into some foundation bottles so if you prefer to apply a little extra foundation under your eyes rather than concealer it works well for that purpose. I often use this brush to also apply the primer above my eyes. Basically it can replace finger tip application for most areas.

It is easy to clean with a little warm water and a few drops of a gentle clear shampoo and can be left to soak for an hour and then dried off. I also like EcoTools for their sturdy handles and earthy bamboo feel. They are well made and usually do not shed. Recommended.

EcoTools Complex Collection Mattifying Finish  Brush
EcoTools Complex Collection Mattifying Finish Brush
Offered by BlueScandal
Price: $8.98
3 used & new from $8.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well with pressed powder or powder foundation compacts., March 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am a makeup brush hoarder and have many different brushes for applying powder from Body Shop, Shany, Ulta, Rite-Aid, MAC, and also other EcoTools brushes. What I like about EcoTools brushes is that they're easier to clean as they usually have synthetic bristles that are still pretty soft on the face.

This brush has a sturdy handle like all the EcoTools brushes and the bristles don't come loose easily, really a must for complexion brushes.This EcoTools brush is oval in shape on the top, has medium dense bristles and therefore it is a better brush for powder.

With loose or pressed powder the medium dense bristles leave space to pick up powder and then allow you to blend well on your face. The medium density of bristles allow them to fan out on your face and apply less product than a more dense brush that can sometimes lift off too much product. Or if the shape is rounded on top like in some Kabuki brushes it lifts product only on the top and you have to use a different motion to really blend well. Kabuki brushes are better suited for mineral wear while this one works a bit better for pressed powder compacts.

The bristles are soft and don't irritate my face and this brush comes clean - I usually clean dry brushes twice a month with some lukewarm water and a few drops of a clarifying shampoo or gentle detergent.

It's a nice and relatively inexpensive brush to have in your collection for applying light powder with a matte finish. I am using it to apply my MAC Studio Fix Powder Foundation that comes in a compact.

TP-LINK Archer D2 AC750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router, 2.4GHz 300Mbps+5GHz 433Mbps, 1 USB 2.0 Port, EWAN, IPv6, Guest Network
Price: Click here to see our price
42 used & new from $90.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Modem + Router in one. Modem ONLY works for DSL (AT&T, Qwest, Verizon, Earthlink)., March 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a DSL router cum modem. This means the modem made to work with a DSL internet connection through your phone line and NOT with a Cable connection. If you have an AT&T or other DSL connection for internet, this router combines a modem and the router and has a pretty great ADSL2 modem for a faster connection. It should work for AT&T, Verizon, Qwest and Earthlink as per instructions. Some users have reported it does not work with Centurylink although that is a DSL connection. Since I don't have it I cannot confirm but it would be wise to call Centurylink and confirm before purchasing any router + modem.

If you have a cable internet connection then you have to use another cable modem which may or may not be compatible with the router. I am also not sure how you would set that up. It does work for an AT&T DSL connection.

This router has better range than regular routers and is more suited to 2 storey homes. It provides a moderately fast network throughout the house as it has AC750 bandwidth - 2.4 GHz runs at 300Mbps and 5GHz at 433 Mbps. That's plenty for gaming, streaming video and calling. It is good to set up a dual band wireless as you can put your faster devices on 5GHz (802.11ac) like the new iPhones or iPad 2 and the N or other bands on the slower network. The 5GHz wireless network seems to have shorter range though, so it will also depend on where you use the device in the house. It also has ethernet ports in the back for direct connections which can be better for streaming.

If you're still not getting a good connection through out your home you can use some range extenders. I am using a set from TP-Link and it works very well to bring the wireless to rooms that were previously getting low or no coverage. Overall a decent router that combines a modem for faster and more reliable connection if you're on a DSL connection.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20