Profile for C. Campbell > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

C. Campbell "earthgirlie" RSS Feed (California)

Smoke Signals [HD]
Smoke Signals [HD]
DVD
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable, June 6, 2014
This heartbreaking coming of age tale stayed with me for many years. Victor's rite of passage and peacemaking with his father is an epic love story.

Welcome With Love
Welcome With Love
by Jenni Overend
40 used & new from $8.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Four Year Old Loved It!, July 17, 2010
This review is from: Welcome With Love (Hardcover)
This book came recommended from a friend as I prepared for my second homebirth. My son and I read it again and again and I love the way the whole family was involved in the birth, as opposed to many "baby sister" or brother books in which a baby appears from outside the door to the new sibling. What an amazing tribute to birth for children to read with parents. I was lucky enough to find a used copy for about $15, but having it now, I would have paid $50 for it easily. There are so few children's books about homebirth!

How to Be an Explorer of the World: Portable Life Museum
How to Be an Explorer of the World: Portable Life Museum
by Keri Smith
Price: $9.60
168 used & new from $3.10

5.0 out of 5 stars How to "Be" Guide for Artists, November 12, 2008
Smith's newest book is the most recent installment in her passionate, ongoing process to distill life and the art process (indistinguishable to most artists) down to it's bare matter. If you can embrace playfulness, open courageously to the idea of art as life, are willing to turn off the television and look around you, love to challenge yourself to learn to BE and create from essence as opposed to trend or fancy, Explorer is for you.

As an author, she seems to live her life exactly the way she writes (as one can easily pick up when visiting her blog The Wish Jar Journal).

As an artist, she is apparently very well read on the subjects of art and life and willing to push beyond art school rules to find her own voice among so many artsy voices that seem to blend together these days. For an insightful, modern perspective on gathering the fodder to create amazing experiences, I was not disappointed with this book.
I completely disagree with other reviews which state that this book is not for deep thinkers. I find her simple, freshened concepts to be timely and revolutionary, just what artists have been missing from our creative processes.
I also recommend Wreck This Journal and Guerilla Art, also by Keri Smith.

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia
by Elizabeth Gilbert
Price: $18.32
483 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, December 26, 2006
Gilbert's book is a very easy read, earthy and witty-she writes like she speaks. Her inclusive ideas about the spiritual quest are inspiring and enlightening. Can't wait to read more of her work.

Animal-Speak: The Spiritual & Magical Powers of Creatures Great & Small
Animal-Speak: The Spiritual & Magical Powers of Creatures Great & Small
by Ted Andrews
Price: $14.09
195 used & new from $3.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Valuable Resource, October 4, 2006
I have been clutching my copy of Animal Speak for many years now. I am coming today to purchase the workbook which I just discovered and wanted to write a quick review for this amazing book.

I use A.S. to help me make sense of dreams and journeys (shamanic) in which animals appear, and also to investigate messages that animals bring to me when they cross my path. Anyone on a path of self discovery who is naturally drawn to animals will love using this as a tool to tune in deeper to your intuition. Love it! Can't live without it!

Granny's fish story
Granny's fish story
by Phyllis La Farge
Edition: Loose Leaf
40 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Childhood Favorite, December 11, 2003
This review is from: Granny's fish story (Loose Leaf)
This was one of my favorite childhood books! Julie's friend Sarah overcomes her fear of the wild country when she accompanies Julie on a trip to Granny's where the fabled Swamp Halibut and company make her hair stand on end. A great book for all girls to remind them of how brave they can be. I just loved this book!

Painting from the Inside Out: 19 Projects and Exercises to Free Your Creative Spirit
by Betsy Dillard Stroud
55 used & new from $8.38

5.0 out of 5 stars I sleep with this book., July 8, 2002
This is a great book for the fearful artist wanting to break out of old habits or one who wants a workshop in a book. Stroud's plain language demonstrations are fun and refreshing for me to try, freeing my brush and mind to find new techniques. She works with acrylics and watercolors, so if this is your medium, it's worth reading. The oil painter may be able to employ some theory, but won't be able to apply most of the techniques.
I found her tips on art supplies and usage to be really helpful, for anyone in a small town (with crappy art stores)who wants specifics on weights of papers etc, this may be for you too. Stroud is not afraid to make muddy puddles on her working surface and I needed this to lighten up with my painting process. I highly recommend the book, especially to younger artists who are interested in the creative process and having fun. I have been walking around the house and garden cradling it for days now.

The Red Tent
The Red Tent
by Anita Diamant
1751 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Women of any denomination will love this book!, June 30, 2001
This review is from: The Red Tent (Paperback)
Anita Diamant's fiction tale of Dinah, sole daughter of Jacob is so empowering to women. I found myself never putting it down, I finished it in several days. I am not of the Christian denomination, but the way in which she portrays the strength and comaraderie of women and the ancient rituals of celebrating one's woman-ness, made me want to raise my daughter with a sense of female pride that I never had. As Dinah and her large family of Jacobites wander the desert in search of camp and spirit and independence from her unsavory grandfather, she and her four mothers weave spiritual beauty out of their mundane and dusty daily lives. I highly recommend that every woman read this and get reacquainted with the ancient female role as wife, mother, daughter and midwife and discover the enchanting escape in this wonderfully spun tale. It is very easy to read and follow. Thank to Ms. Diamant for being brave and branching outside of her normal scope of writing to bring this piece of joy to my library!

Green Witchcraft: Folk Magic, Fairy Lore & Herb Craft (Green Witchcraft Series)
Green Witchcraft: Folk Magic, Fairy Lore & Herb Craft (Green Witchcraft Series)
by Ann Moura
Price: $11.58
137 used & new from $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Wiccan Essential, June 30, 2001
This was the second guide to the craft I purchased and I think that it is a great resource for those in solitary practice. The most interesting thing (and perhaps unexpected)that I found in the book was the history located in the back of the book. Good detailed descriptions as well as loose suggestions on how to celebrate the 8 holidays on the witches calender were appreciated. I particularly ejoy Aoumiel's personal background and her insistence on freedom of options when it comes to choosing your rituals and reiterating the standard idea that you don't have to do anything rigid to feel confident in your practice. I also love her comparisons of traditional Wiccan holidays to those borrowed dates of Christian holidays, you know, just for a giggle and not written in a way to be superior. Most do not realize that each different religion in the world celebrates the same holidays, we just have different names for them! Good book if you are building your library on witchcraft...