Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation
Profile for S. N. Gaines > Reviews

Browse

S. N. Gaines' Profile

Customer Reviews: 131

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. N. Gaines RSS Feed (Long Island, NY)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Ritche 4 Pieces Size 22mm Black Rubber Replacement Watch Band Strap Loops
Ritche 4 Pieces Size 22mm Black Rubber Replacement Watch Band Strap Loops
Offered by victorgo
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, and I have a suggestion for installing them, August 17, 2015
The problem I had was the Timex Expedition watch I own had two of these pieces on the watch band. One of the pieces broke, and buying a new watch band that might or might not fit didn't seem to be the best solution.

Then I saw this item. They do ship you 4 pieces, which should last me quite a long time, as the original pieces lasted over 4 years. The only small problem I ran in to was getting the piece on the strap. I thought I could just slide it over the metal part that is at the end of the strap, but this didn't work. I noodled on it for a while and came up with this solution:

The pieces are a tough type of rubber. I thought if I put the piece in to a cup of hot water from my tap, that would make the rubber more pliable and also lend a certain lubricating facet to the operation. This worked like a charm. So if you're wondering how to get the piece on the strap without having to remove the strap from the watch first, here's what you do: Use hot water from your tap, as hot as it will come out of the faucet. Just drop the rubber piece in to the hot water for about 10 minutes or so. Now it will be flexible enough for you to work it over the metal clasp part, plus the water acts as a bit of a lubricant. And there you go.

Panasonic Razor, ES-LF51-A, Men's Electric 4-Blade Cordless Shaver, Wet/Dry with Flexible Pivoting Head
Price: $99.95
22 used & new from $94.46

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one. Go ahead and order it., March 5, 2015
I've had the LF51 for about a week now. This is a switch from rotary to regular in electric shavers for me. I have to say that so far, I can find very little to complain about.

The shaver does an excellent job on my beard. I've even let the stubble grow out for two days, and this thing tackled it like it was nothing. The "lock" and "soft" don't seem to have a lot of effect, I'm still experimenting with that, but it doesn't detract from the shaver.

The pop-up trimmer works extremely well, and after I get the sideburns where I want them, the shaver part takes care of the stubble that's left with no problems.

Cleaning couldn't be easier. I followed the directions, used hand soap, and the faster cleaning speed and that did the trick. The only thing the shaver is missing is a cleaning brush, but since I have a couple lying around, that's about it for the cons as far as I'm concerned.

Replacement foils and blades seem straightforward, and relatively reasonably priced, as opposed to the Norelco which this replaced.

The travel case seems sturdy enough. The travel lock is extremely simple to use, you just rotate a sort of ring that surrounds the on-off button.

The battery indicator seems to work well, although I have trouble seeing the color blue due to an astigmatism, but I can manage and so can you.

Don't hesitate, don't dither. You've done enough research. Order this shaver and be done with it, you'll be pleased.

Braun Series 5 Electric Shaver
Braun Series 5 Electric Shaver
Offered by RJRAnderson
Price: $168.13
10 used & new from $139.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work right, poor Braun customer service., February 26, 2015
I really wanted to like this razor. Sadly, it was not to be. While I purchased the razor at a brick & mortar store, I also paid a LOT less for it there. That was the good part, as was the store's very open return policy.

Why did I return it? Simple. It didn't work right out of the box. I charged it according to the instructions, and in fact waited 2 hours before I tried it out. When I did, the battery gauge didn't work. The levels did not show, and nothing I could do would make them appear. I figured maybe they would only appear for a couple of seconds when turning on or off, but not the case. Just wasn't working right.

So I e-mailed Braun about it, thinking I missed something. Their response? Return the shaver to a service center for "servicing". Read that replacement with a refurb. On a brand new razor? That I had for less than 24 hours? No thanks. Returned the razor, and now have a Panasonic on order through Amazon. Hopefully it will be true to the many positive reviews and live up to its #1 best seller rating on Amazon.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2015 3:51 PM PDT

Broan QS130WW Allure Range Hood, White on White, 30 inch
Broan QS130WW Allure Range Hood, White on White, 30 inch
Offered by OJ Commerce
Price: $151.81
40 used & new from $141.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value Range Hood. Packaging, not so much., January 3, 2015
First off, only a four star review due to the hood coming with a couple of small dents in it. Not enough to return, I was able to straighten them out, but it looks like they happened at the Broan factory, since the dents were only evident after the hood was removed from the shipping box.

Now to the review. This was a replacement hood for another Broan hood, that had decided to no longer illuminate. This hood's mounting holes were in the exact same spot as the old hood, that older hood being 15 years old or so. This meant that mounting the hood was easy as could be.

I followed the directions, including shutting off the power at the breaker box. The entire installation took less than 30 minutes, and only that long because I kept going back to the instructions believing it was too easy and I must have missed a step. Nope, it was just that easy to install.

Now I must mention that I mounted this as ductless, since I don't have a duct running to the outside, so that may have contributed to the ease of installation. However the instruction look comprehensive enough so that you'll have all the information you need.

As far as the lights, while the instructions say a PAR20, max 50W halogen bulb is usable, I put in 2 35 watt bulbs. The light is still extremely bright. When I use the low setting on the lights, there is an initial flickering effect which ceases after just a very few seconds, and does not seem to be an issue.

The fan is extremely quiet, even on the high speed setting. It seems to do the job, so no complaints there. Installing the two carbon inserts (required for ductless use) was easy. I bought the inserts available here on Amazon.

The hood does seem to extend out about 2 inches or so further than the old hood it replaced, but that is not a problem. My wife likes the curved look of the thing, and is pleased with the hood. That's the most important thing. Personally I could not care less, but if Mama's happy, everybody's happy.

As far as the price, I found the same exact range hood for sale at a home center for $80 more. And all of those available at my local Lowes either had open boxes or severely smashed boxes.

Bottom line: Good value, good price, easy installation. Go ahead, make the purchase and stop driving yourself crazy researching the things.

Ark Storm: A Novel
Ark Storm: A Novel
by Linda Davies
Price: $22.97
78 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Bi-Polar describes this book best, November 11, 2014
This review is from: Ark Storm: A Novel (Hardcover)
Let me start by saying I really wanted to enjoy this book. I love techno-thrillers and disaster novels. Since reading "Alas Babylon" and "The Poseidon Adventure" decades ago, I've read quite a bunch.

Sadly, this story doesn't measure up. It is very inconsistent with plot lines. For example, we are told Gwen Boudain's parents were killed when their car is run off the road. Later on we are told Gwen is driving that car. Which was destroyed. Wait, what?

Regarding Gwen's parents, we learn early on that they were killed when she was little. Then it changes to just a couple of years ago. Again, what?

There are what I can only describe as "odd" dialogue sections. Gwen doesn't drink her drinks. She "glugs" them down. Maybe a two year old talks like that, not a PhD. In addition there seems to be an uneven use of contractions and very odd wording.

Equipment is referred to as "kit". Maybe in Great Britain, but here in the USA? Odd phrasing like that abounds, and it brings the story to a halt.

It almost seems as if two different people wrote two different parts of the novel and it was then mashed together.

On a purely technical note, she has a civilian helicopter, a Bell Jet Ranger, picking up F-22 Raptors on its radar. Really? That is news to the aviation world. The Raptor is a stealth aircraft. It is not going to be picked up by civilian radar unless it wants to be seen. And in the plot segment where this occurs, being seen would be bad.

While I'm on the subject of Raptors, Ms. Davies has them carrying and launching Harpoon anti-ship missiles. Again, what?

It would have been more technically accurate to have had F-18s carry these in the story. Especially since the Hornet and its variants are designed to carry the Harpoon, the Raptor is not.

All in all, a disappointing read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2015 8:03 AM PST

The Trident Deception
The Trident Deception
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat derivative, however there is action in between the plot holes, March 29, 2014
This book "borrows" heavily from "Hunt for Red October", "Crimson Tide", some rather clumsy Ludlum, and Shakespeare.

There are plot holes that are mentioned by other reviewers, and if you want to call this an homage to Clancy et al, then you will be pleased with the book.

I've read a lot of military fiction, some submarine non-fiction, and this book seems to be somewhere between plausible and way out there. There are a couple of "deus ex machina" moments in the book, where it seems Mr. Campbell wrote himself into a corner, and just decided to pull a miracle out of the bag o' tricks.

If you don't mind such things, then go ahead, the action will keep you reading. But you must suspend some logical thinking for this one.

Apparently this is the first in a series, as the book jacket says Mr. Campbell is working on a sequel. I'll even give the next book a shot.

SE - Replacement Pins for Link Remover Tool (Pkg. of 10) - #JT6305-PIN
SE - Replacement Pins for Link Remover Tool (Pkg. of 10) - #JT6305-PIN

5.0 out of 5 stars You're going to need these, March 7, 2014
If you have a link remover, then you will bend pins. Goes with the territory. A little practice with the remover tool and you'll do fine, but even experts bend the pins.

Worth it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Protects the touch screen, non-glare, March 7, 2014
Works as it should. No issues. Easy to apply, but make sure you clean off the screen before you apply this or you will have dust and/or dirt under the screen protector.

Worth the money. Better than scratching that screen up.

Homax 50334025 Magic Complete Cooktop, 16-Ounce Cream
Homax 50334025 Magic Complete Cooktop, 16-Ounce Cream
Offered by Great Household
Price: $12.86
5 used & new from $12.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, March 7, 2014
Cleans my 6 or 7 year old glass cooktop with ease. In fact, the range looks factory new. (Of course this leads guests to make jokes about not doing any cooking, since everyone "knows" you can't really clean a glass stove top. Yeah you can, use this stuff.)

Go ahead, buy this, you won't regret it.

Invicta Men's 10059 Specialty Lefty Black Ion-Plated Chronograph Watch
Invicta Men's 10059 Specialty Lefty Black Ion-Plated Chronograph Watch

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost 5 stars, more like 4.5, March 7, 2014
Due to an old injury I now have to wear my watch on my right wrist. This "lefty" watch fits the bill perfectly. It isn't so big that it is uncomfortable, it is a nice, beefy watch. My second Invicta actually.

My reason for the less than 5 star rating is the watch band doesn't seem to have a "fine" size adjustment. I used a "pin tool" to take out a couple of the links, which went great. (BTW, you can get a pin removal tool right here on Amazon, the time and money you'll save is worth it. But get extra tips, you'll need them.) The problem is there is no series of smaller holes such as in other Invicta watches where you can sort of "fine tune" the size of the watch band. A very minor thing, but there it is.

Recommended with the caveat mentioned above.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14