Profile for S. N. Gaines > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 127

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. N. Gaines RSS Feed (Long Island, NY)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Ark Storm
Ark Storm
by Linda Davies
Price: $19.50
83 used & new from $2.98

2.0 out of 5 stars Bi-Polar describes this book best, November 11, 2014
This review is from: Ark Storm (Hardcover)
Let me start by saying I really wanted to enjoy this book. I love techno-thrillers and disaster novels. Since reading "Alas Babylon" and "The Poseidon Adventure" decades ago, I've read quite a bunch.

Sadly, this story doesn't measure up. It is very inconsistent with plot lines. For example, we are told Gwen Boudain's parents were killed when their car is run off the road. Later on we are told Gwen is driving that car. Which was destroyed. Wait, what?

Regarding Gwen's parents, we learn early on that they were killed when she was little. Then it changes to just a couple of years ago. Again, what?

There are what I can only describe as "odd" dialogue sections. Gwen doesn't drink her drinks. She "glugs" them down. Maybe a two year old talks like that, not a PhD. In addition there seems to be an uneven use of contractions and very odd wording.

Equipment is referred to as "kit". Maybe in Great Britain, but here in the USA? Odd phrasing like that abounds, and it brings the story to a halt.

It almost seems as if two different people wrote two different parts of the novel and it was then mashed together.

On a purely technical note, she has a civilian helicopter, a Bell Jet Ranger, picking up F-22 Raptors on its radar. Really? That is news to the aviation world. The Raptor is a stealth aircraft. It is not going to be picked up by civilian radar unless it wants to be seen. And in the plot segment where this occurs, being seen would be bad.

While I'm on the subject of Raptors, Ms. Davies has them carrying and launching Harpoon anti-ship missiles. Again, what?

It would have been more technically accurate to have had F-18s carry these in the story. Especially since the Hornet and its variants are designed to carry the Harpoon, the Raptor is not.

All in all, a disappointing read.

The Trident Deception
The Trident Deception
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $11.04

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat derivative, however there is action in between the plot holes, March 29, 2014
This book "borrows" heavily from "Hunt for Red October", "Crimson Tide", some rather clumsy Ludlum, and Shakespeare.

There are plot holes that are mentioned by other reviewers, and if you want to call this an homage to Clancy et al, then you will be pleased with the book.

I've read a lot of military fiction, some submarine non-fiction, and this book seems to be somewhere between plausible and way out there. There are a couple of "deus ex machina" moments in the book, where it seems Mr. Campbell wrote himself into a corner, and just decided to pull a miracle out of the bag o' tricks.

If you don't mind such things, then go ahead, the action will keep you reading. But you must suspend some logical thinking for this one.

Apparently this is the first in a series, as the book jacket says Mr. Campbell is working on a sequel. I'll even give the next book a shot.

SE - Replacement Pins for Link Remover Tool (Pkg. of 10)
SE - Replacement Pins for Link Remover Tool (Pkg. of 10)
Offered by Micro-Tools
Price: $4.54
4 used & new from $3.78

5.0 out of 5 stars You're going to need these, March 7, 2014
If you have a link remover, then you will bend pins. Goes with the territory. A little practice with the remover tool and you'll do fine, but even experts bend the pins.

Worth it.

Lexerd - 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe 4.3" (non GPS) TrueVue Anti-glare Navigation Screen Protector (Dual Pack Bundle)
Offered by Lexerd (NJ)
Price: $31.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Protects the touch screen, non-glare, March 7, 2014
Works as it should. No issues. Easy to apply, but make sure you clean off the screen before you apply this or you will have dust and/or dirt under the screen protector.

Worth the money. Better than scratching that screen up.

Homax 50334025 Magic Complete Cooktop, 16-Ounce Cream
Homax 50334025 Magic Complete Cooktop, 16-Ounce Cream
Offered by Great Household
Price: $12.11
6 used & new from $4.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, March 7, 2014
Cleans my 6 or 7 year old glass cooktop with ease. In fact, the range looks factory new. (Of course this leads guests to make jokes about not doing any cooking, since everyone "knows" you can't really clean a glass stove top. Yeah you can, use this stuff.)

Go ahead, buy this, you won't regret it.

Invicta Men's 10059 Specialty Lefty Black Ion-Plated Chronograph Watch
Invicta Men's 10059 Specialty Lefty Black Ion-Plated Chronograph Watch
Offered by WorldofWatches
Price: $59.99
2 used & new from $59.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost 5 stars, more like 4.5, March 7, 2014
Due to an old injury I now have to wear my watch on my right wrist. This "lefty" watch fits the bill perfectly. It isn't so big that it is uncomfortable, it is a nice, beefy watch. My second Invicta actually.

My reason for the less than 5 star rating is the watch band doesn't seem to have a "fine" size adjustment. I used a "pin tool" to take out a couple of the links, which went great. (BTW, you can get a pin removal tool right here on Amazon, the time and money you'll save is worth it. But get extra tips, you'll need them.) The problem is there is no series of smaller holes such as in other Invicta watches where you can sort of "fine tune" the size of the watch band. A very minor thing, but there it is.

Recommended with the caveat mentioned above.

GARMIN 010-11030-00 Suction Cup Mount For Nuvi 700 Series Travel Assistant
GARMIN 010-11030-00 Suction Cup Mount For Nuvi 700 Series Travel Assistant
Offered by GPS City
Price: $24.98
20 used & new from $18.49

5.0 out of 5 stars It does what it should, March 7, 2014
I've had a Garmin Nuvi 750 for about 6 or 7 years. The old mount's suction cup simply wore out. Can't complain, got a LOT of use out of it.

The replacement order from Amazon looks to be of the same quality. Go ahead, if you need a suction cup mount for your Nuvi, and it's on the list of covered models, this will do great.

You
You
by Austin Grossman
58 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Almost a good novel, July 31, 2013
This review is from: You (Hardcover)
Let me start off by saying that I am a computer gamer from way back. While fantasy games don't interest me, other genres do hold my attention. That said, I was prepared to really like this book.

I didn't.

Almost no character development, no discernible plot line except that there's a game that may or may not have a bug in it, and no interaction between characters. We have Russell, the protagonist who is searching for something. We have Lisa, a possible romantic interest (or not, we never learn anything about her except she's a generic female "geek" tossed in for the women I suppose), and the rest of the Black Arts company roster. Any and all of which could have been made interesting.

Instead Mr. Grossman goes for flashbacks, flash-forwards, side trips, fantasy/reality conjunctions, and characters that may or may not exist in the world of the novel. Very confusing, sort of like a freshman (high school) English class exercise. I almost felt like I was reading the equivalent of a toddler's drawing who just discovered 64 crayons in a box, and determined to use every color regardless of whether it fit in. That's this book in a nutshell.

Mr. Grossman tosses in all of his experience with video games (or computer games, he can't seem to make up his mind that there is a difference), his writing techniques, and what he perceives as character development. He tries to use every "tool" in his kit, and instead of something fascinating, he produced what I can only describe as a slog to read through.

Any time there is a hint of character development, such as between Russell and Lisa, or any time there is a possibility of a plot point being explained, Grossman falls back on letting the "excuse" that we were reading about a computer game character or plot line that came into the "real" world.

Two stars only because I really like computer games.

Don't bother buying this.

Motorola HX550 Universal Bluetooth Headset - Retail Packaging - Black
Motorola HX550 Universal Bluetooth Headset - Retail Packaging - Black
Offered by Savester
Price: Click here to see our price
102 used & new from $29.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Actually 4.75 Stars, December 31, 2012
I would have rated this 5 out of 5 stars except for one very small problem.

First, all of the very, very good:

It pairs up pretty much instantly with my iPhone when I open the mike boom. This means not having to leave the headset on all the time if I so chose.

It fits my ear perfectly. In fact, since it comes with several ways to wear, it's almost a sure bet you'll find something that works. You can use the over-ear clip with the speaker part that sits outside your ear (my choice). You can use an over-ear clip with a speaker piece that fits into your ear. Or you can use one of the in-ear only pieces without a clip.

The sound is terrific. I drive for a living and ambient noise has always been a problem. The HX550 seems to have no problem making you heard and understood. Even the voice dial/control on my iPhone can make sense out of what I tell it unless the noise level is so high you wouldn't make a call anyway.

It is light, light, light. Did I mention it's light? I've worn it for 8 hours at a time without problems.

When paired up to the iPhone a little battery meter for the HX550 appears at the top of the touch screen on the phone. Nice to know what my battery level is. Although when you flip open the mike to turn it on and pair, the headset tells you what your battery level is, "high", "medium" or "low".

Seems to hold a charge very well, and lasts a long, long time when on standby (mike boom open but not talking).

Controls are simple. High and low buttons for the volume. A call control button for the other functions.

It uses a micro USB for charging, and I believe I have a spare cord around so I can use my car charger with the extra USB port to charge the thing if I need to. Nice.

Now for the .25 star hit.

The mike boom must be flipped open to turn the headset on, which is well covered in the description. However I have large fingers and doing this one-handed is a problem when I have it on my ear. But that is so minor that as I say, only a quarter star hit.

As far as pairing it with my iPhone, that took a grand total of 10-15 seconds, the phone and headset did all the work.

I'll update this in a few days, but so far, extremely pleased with this headset. Much better than the Plantronics 975 it has replaced.

I rate it a good buy.
*************************************

As promised, here's an update on my review. I couldn't be more pleased with this headset. About the only concern I have, aside from the boom mike thing, is the ear piece seems like it isn't that durable. Although this is absent any problems with it. By ear piece I mean the white plastic ear loop that I use. However all is not lost here. There are replacement ear pieces available, for a very reasonable price, right here on Amazon. I'll get a couple of these and that will solve the problem should it occur.

Now to how it's performed so far. In a word, GREAT.

I drive a diesel bus, and that can be very noisy. Since hand-held is out, and my dispatchers like phoning me rather than use the "iffy" radio, this is a godsend. I can hear quite well, the people I'm talking to have no problem hearing me. In fact, when I tell people I'm talking to them from the bus, they don't believe me, there doesn't seem to be a problem with background noise.

As mentioned earlier, I have no problem with wearing the headset. In fact, there have been times that I've simply forgotten I'm wearing it, it's that light and unobtrusive.

It's been holding a charge now for about 2 weeks, and I'm down to "medium" on the battery meter voice thing. And this is with the frigid cold we've been having here in the Northeast. I leave the headset in my car, outside so it's exposed to the extreme cold and has given me no problems there.

Still pleased, and still recommend this as a "go and buy it, you won't be sorry" item. (If you've read any of my other reviews you know that's rare for me.)

Stylus, amPen® Hybrid Stylus (Black) for Apple iPad Air/iPad 2/iPad Mini, Apple iPhone 6 (4.7)/6 Plus (5.5)/5/5s/5c/4s, Nexus 5/7, Galaxy Tab 4/3/2, Galaxy S5/S4, HTC One M8/M7 (Interchangeable Hybrid Tip Feature)
Offered by TechMatte
Price: $8.95
3 used & new from $6.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Unraveled after only a couple of days, August 28, 2012
OK, at first I loved this thing. It made using the iPhone very easy, and I liked the way the tip glided across the screen (which is, of course, protected by a screen protector).

Now today, after less than a week with this thing, I see that the mesh tip is unraveling. Very disappointing.

I will not be returning the thing because it's my own mistake. But I can not recommend buying this item.

I'll explore one of the "cheapo" package deals. At least that way I'll know what I'm getting, and if it goes bad, it's not like I spent any great amount of money on them.

Don't buy it. If someone gives you one, thank them and use the thing for a miniature tomato spike, that's about all it'd be good for.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2012 4:28 PM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13