Profile for Alice Howard > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Alice Howard RSS Feed

Snuff: A Novel of Discworld
Snuff: A Novel of Discworld
by Terry Pratchett
Price: $19.00
81 used & new from $0.03

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good read, unfortunately, October 25, 2011
Like many other readers and long-time fans of Sir Terry, I really wanted to like, even love, this book. Unfortunately, I don't.

Snuff just doesn't feel like a Discworld novel. I found myself unable to recognise Sam Vimes and Sybil as the characters I'd grown to love over many books - Vimes especially felt very out-of-character (inasmuch as you can say that about an author writing his own characters). The novel suffers from cumbersome narrative and dialogue: at times it feels as though characters exchange ponderous speeches rather than converse naturally. This is something I also noticed in "I Shall Wear Midnight". The humour of previous books is simply not present.

Some people have suggested that the novel will be polarizing because of its dark subject matter. I am not averse to "darker" themes at all - Terry Pratchett has often tackled some of the darkest aspects of humanity with exceptional skill. However, in my opinion, the problem with this novel is not that it is "too dark" but that it is simply not very well-written.

Given the circumstances and the author's health, I feel guilty writing this, but it is my honest opinion. I've been a fan of Discworld for over 15 years, and Terry Pratchett remains my all-time favourite author. I don't think I can imagine myself *not* buying a Discworld book, for as long as Sir Terry chooses to continue writing them. But I cannot say that reading Snuff was in any way an enjoyable experience. In truth: it feels like somebody else trying to imitate Terry's style, and not being able to pull it off. And I'm genuinely sorry to have to say that.
Comment Comments (21) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 24, 2014 5:42 AM PDT

Conan O'Brien Can't Stop
Conan O'Brien Can't Stop
DVD ~ Conan O'Brien
Price: $8.99
46 used & new from $2.23

5.0 out of 5 stars There's A Reason It's Called "Can't Stop", June 25, 2011
This review is from: Conan O'Brien Can't Stop (DVD)
Let's be clear on this. There's a reason this film is called "Conan O'Brien Can't Stop", rather than "Conan O'Brien Doesn't Want To Stop" or "Conan O'Brien Would Really Prefer Not To Stop, If It's Alright With You". Not only does the chosen title roll off the tongue rather better, but it's also absolutely, awe-inspiringly true.

This documentary received rave reviews when it debuted at the South by Southwest Film Festival, and it's easy to see why. "Conan O'Brien Can't Stop" is a fantastic, engaging film about an extremely driven man at a crossroads in his professional life.

Apart from a couple of questions posed to Conan throughout the film, there is no audio commentary/voice-over from Rodman Flender. The footage speaks for itself, and the camera-work is intimate without feeling invasive. The film includes some footage of the actual tour performances, but the vast majority of the documentary is focused behind-the-scenes, and takes us on a complete journey of the tour: from the first tweet announcing the release of tickets to the final show in Atlanta. Along the way, we see Conan perform at every opportunity, even on his days off. We see a man unable to resist meeting and entertaining his fans even when he seems at times to barely have the energy to stand up. We see his interactions with his staff and crew, including sidekick Andy Richter (their genuine friendship over and above their comedic rapport is abundantly clear). The film also includes some heart-warming moments with Conan's family.

All in all, for 89 minutes, this film showcases the real life of a talented, intense performer and man, including the ups and downs and the hilarity and the tired crankiness. A very entertaining, honest and eye-opening film.

No Title Available