Profile for A Work In Progress > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A Work In Progress RSS Feed (Maryland)

Excel 2007: The Missing Manual
Excel 2007: The Missing Manual
by Matthew MacDonald
Price: $29.16
82 used & new from $0.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, But Lost By a Hair to Excel 2007 Bible..., November 7, 2007
Excel 2007 Missing Manual is a very good book that serves as a valuable resource for beginning as well as intermediate users. The author does a good job of reviewing the improvements of 2007 as well as exploring many uses of the program. However, Excel 2007 Bible covered a tad more information, hence, the 4 star review for this book. Though I must admit that this is still a very good resource for beginner's as well as intermediate users.

Excel 2007 Bible
Excel 2007 Bible
by John Walkenbach
Price: $26.48
68 used & new from $1.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Grow Into a Power User w.Excel 2007 Bible!, November 7, 2007
This review is from: Excel 2007 Bible (Paperback)
This is one of THE BEST books on Excel 2007! I've compared this book to the following: Excel 2007 the Missing Manual & Excel 2007 Beyond the Manual. I found that the Bible version to be not only a good overview of the changes in Excel 2007, but also a guide that explores the many uses and possibilities of using the program.

It is well organized, detailed and serves as a good resource for new & intermediate. It is not, however for those who are advanced users who are looking for something on advancing their skills in Pivot Tables, VBA or advanced formulas. If you are looking for a book on intricate formulas or a cookbook, then I recommend Formulas and Functions with Microsoft Office Excel 2007 by Paul McFedries. There are also other books out there geared specifically towards VBA and Pivot Tables.

So, to sum it up, it's an outstanding overview and delve into Excel 2007 that will benefit beginners and intermediate users the most and can help this group grow into power users! It also makes a pretty good refresher for advanced users. Either way, you can't go wrong!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2010 12:00 PM PDT

How to Make $100,000+ Your First Year as a Real Estate Agent
How to Make $100,000+ Your First Year as a Real Estate Agent
by Darryl Davis
Price: $19.28
87 used & new from $2.07

1.0 out of 5 stars Better Options Are Available!!!, July 1, 2007
Thanks David for your review on the book. You saved me time and money. I'm not surprised to learn that the book was a marketing gimmick for his site. Especially when considering that the release date was pushed back for over a year. That explains the repeated delays.

Though I agree that the best way to build a long term business to to focus on the Sphere of Influence, for new agents, it is also good to mix in FSBO & Expireds at least until the SOI can support a strong business base. The reason most people (including myself) have shied away from this group is primarily because of fear. Another good option would be to research and decide on a farm area. But one must be consistent by implementing a 12x12, otherwise, marketing dollars and efforts will be wasted. This is again in addition to focusing on your SOI... you never want to abandon them because they are your best support system. Another benefit of working in conjunction with a farm area, for sale by owners and Expireds is that you will in fact ADD to your SOI! If memory serves me correctly, SOI will yield 12:1 where as a farm will yield 50:1, so the SOI is CLEARLY the best choice. But when you consider BUILDING your business, especially for a new agent, don't forget to consider adding FSBO, Expireds or a farm area.

Books that I recommend for those starting out are:

The Millionaire Real Estate Agent
21 Things I Wish My Broker Had Told Me
How to Become A Power Agent in Real Estate
How to List and Sell Real Estate

Also, for new agents starting out, I would recommend starting with a franchise or independent company. Reason being is the fees for 100% are high and paying desk fees of $500-$1200/mo is a HUGE expense for someone starting out. Most 100% companies charge for copies, printing and other items. Though I believe that 100% companies are a good thing, it has it's not for everyone, especially those starting out unless you grew up in a family that was heavily involved in real estate and THOROUGHLY know the ins and outs of the business AND have a STRONG client base STARTING OUT!

I began with a well known franchise, but wish I had gone with a different one because there were better options available. The good news is that within my 1st year of sales, a light bulb went off! And though I wasn't ready for the jump to a 100% company, I researched and joined another franchise. I recommend looking into companies such as Keller Williams Realty that offer a higher split and gives the opportunity to go to 100% with in a year. I am happy to say that next year, I will be in a position to join a 100% company.

If you have any questions about starting out in the business or building your business, I'm here to help!

Assata: An Autobiography
Assata: An Autobiography
by Assata Shakur
Price: $13.21
95 used & new from $10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Can You Handle It?!?, March 26, 2005
Assata opened my mind, heart and level of consciousness. While reading her story, I felt as though I had been transported through time and was experiencing every taunt, kick, ache and passion that she described. Her story is one that should be shared and discussed and I for one am grateful to have experienced her tale.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Encouraging/Disheartening... It's About Perspective, March 26, 2005
I recently received my scale and it was both encouraging and disheartening. What's that you say? Impossible for it to be both at the same time? Well, you step on the scale and learn your estimated body fat percentage and then let me know how you feel. As for me, the weight measurements were the same regardless of how many times I stepped on or off the scale (without any tipping problems I might add). However, the body fat percentage confirmed that I have A LOT of work to do to get in shape.

I still love the scale for the following reasons:

1) It has four memory slots as well as a general one for guests

2) Separate setting for male/female as well as athletes for

each sex.

3) It appears to be pretty acurate though the body fat analysis is somewhat questionable. However, it still gives a good indication as to whether or not you are gaining/losing fat.

4) According to my research/experience, Tanita makes excellent scales.

5) It's sleek and sexy! That's a bonus. :)

Overall, I recommend the scale for those who are serious about fitness/nutrition. Just keep in mind that the body fat measurements are only an estimate based on height, weight, age. Amazon's customer service has been outstanding. I e-mailed them prior to placing the order and they promptly responded explaining that the scales were new, not refurbished/open box. Sure enough, when I received my scale, it was brand spanking new! If you are in the market for a scale, this is an excellent choice.

The Fat Flush Plan
The Fat Flush Plan
by Ann Louise Gittleman
Price: $16.96
974 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening to Say the Least, March 22, 2005
This review is from: The Fat Flush Plan (Hardcover)
As you may have guessed, I LOVE this book. As many others, I am back on the fitness train, but this time, I'm not getting off! I lost 30lbs a couple of years ago only to put it back on withing a yr. Though I knew/had an idea of what I needed to do exercise wise, I knew diddly about the nutrition other than to limit fats/carbs (which was partially wrong). This time, I sought out a book that was by a nutrition and wasn't a fad.

I found this book while researching Amazon and now know that this is one of the best investments I have made in quite some time. Not only does Anne explain the concepts behind proper nutrition and supplements, she also explains how and why our organs operate as well as how they inhibit/promote weight loss in addition to emotional health!

Another thing I love about the Fat Flush Plan is she goes step by step in guiding us to reintroducing good carbs into our diet as well as several alternatives. And I am all about options! I've started back to the gym and can't wait to get back in there. My only concern is that the calories allotted for the first two weeks is between 1100 and 1300 and I love weight training. I'm not sure how that will effect my energy levels/strength, but I am going to give it a try and will let you know how it goes. Regardless, I am confident that this is the plan for me and am greatful that Anne took the time and effort to write this outstanding book!

R.U.L.E.
R.U.L.E.
Offered by cdgiveaways
Price: $7.32
113 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Contrived To Say The Least, January 13, 2005
This review is from: R.U.L.E. (Audio CD)
This album is contrived to say the least. It was a BIG disappointment. I just KNEW I was going to get something good when I got my hands on this album. :/ I 'knew' wrong because it's one of the weakest albums I have ever heard and not NEARLY what I'm used to when it comes to JA. I had to struggle to find a song worth listening to and there was only one. Needless to say it's the one w/Ahanti. It's decent, but once again, nothing to get hyped about. I would rate the album a .5 if I could and even that would be a generous gesture. But since I have to put something it, I'll GIVE it a 1.

3D
3D
Offered by IMS Distribution
Price: $10.25
184 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Do, January 13, 2005
This review is from: 3D (Audio CD)
I loved the album when it came out years ago and I still do.