Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro
Profile for Peter > Reviews

Browse

Peter's Profile

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Peter RSS Feed

Cuisinart DCC-2900 Perfec Temp 12-Cup Thermal Programmable Coffeemaker
Cuisinart DCC-2900 Perfec Temp 12-Cup Thermal Programmable Coffeemaker
Offered by Card Machine Outlet Inc.
Price: $118.76
18 used & new from $118.76

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, poor execution., September 28, 2014
Great idea, poor execution. Household coffee makers basically never put the money in proper heating elements, and this results in underextracted brew. I get this for $30 machines, there just is not way to build in a proper heating element. But this is not a good excuse at over $100. Bonavita is the only one to have a machine that consistently hits the right temperature at this pricepoint, but its loud, ugly, and devoid of buttons for us gadget freaks. Cuisinart correctly identified a market opportunity but fails to deliver.

Just a couple of quick points.

1) It does not hit the "Perfect Temp" until halfway thru the brew process. So if you generally brew 1/2 pot, you'll never get there.
2) It does not hold enough coffee for a full pot. So the effective limit is about 8-9 cups.
3) If I were to do a full pot the brew cycle is way too long.
4) The thing is hard to fill.

I don't get the external heating but it doesn't really bother me either. Mine did not leak either. I've returned this and going back to my Bonavita, while keeping my eye out for my perfect coffee maker.

Granite Ware 0511-3 Covered Rectangular Roaster 21.25 by 14 by 8.5-Inch
Granite Ware 0511-3 Covered Rectangular Roaster 21.25 by 14 by 8.5-Inch
Price: $26.49
26 used & new from $26.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, July 10, 2011
I was tempted to buy a "cheaper" Stainless Steel Clad roasting pan by Cuisinart or Kitchenaid for $50-60. I'm sure those are better quality pans. However, I only use a roasting pan a couple of times a year, so I was looking to save some money and for the price this thing is great. It roasts beautifully (with a Granite Ware 13.5 Inch V-Rack for $3), and with the lid doubles as a very nice lobster steamer (just put in some clean river rocks aka Alton Brown Method).

I do have a couple of minor complaints. Soldered handles have a tendency to fail without warning (they don't loosen they crack). All Granite Ware is like that, and I haven't read of any handles breaking, but it is a concern. The dark color makes fond hard to see, and the thin material makes it extremely temperamental on the stove, so it makes a poor choice for deglazing.

Also, Granite Ware has nothing to do with Granite except (maybe) cosmetics, and it never has. So anybody thinking they are getting a high quality piece of stoneware needs to get that out of their head. This is very very thin Carbon Steel with a thin porcelain enamel, that if thrown around will crack and expose the steel (which will then very quickly rust, this is not the kind of thing you want to Season).

Bob's Red Mill Old Country Style Muesli Cereal, 40-ounce (Pack of 4)
Bob's Red Mill Old Country Style Muesli Cereal, 40-ounce (Pack of 4)
Price: $27.16
22 used & new from $25.51

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, November 15, 2008
I eat cold, soaked in Vanilla Soy Milk for 10-15 mins. The milk gives it just enough sweetness, and extremely healthy. A cup of this stuff with just enough milk to cover keeps me going until lunch no problem.

Manttra 38270 5-Piece Stainless Steel Multi-Cooker Set
Manttra 38270 5-Piece Stainless Steel Multi-Cooker Set

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, April 29, 2008
This thing has two things going against it. First its a little too light steel which will burn some of your less liquid dishes (beans or chili), but is a non-issue for say stock. The other is that most pressure cookers "high" setting is 15psi, this one is 12psi. So if you are following tried and true recipes your going to have to add time, which is a dicey proposition for a pot you can't look into while cooking.

All that said I'm giving it 2 stars just because I've never seen a perfect pressure cooker.

Toastmaster 1778 Hand Mixer
Toastmaster 1778 Hand Mixer

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Enough., August 30, 2005
Stay away if this is your only mixer. Just not strong enough for certain jobs. But as the proud owner of a heavy stand mixer, I find this does just fine for the light jobs. In fact I use it more than the stand mixer. And the price is unbeatable.

Sabatier Precision 38-Piece Knife Block and Tool Set
Sabatier Precision 38-Piece Knife Block and Tool Set

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, but at this price who cares, February 11, 2005
I'm a college student, needed a cheap Kitchen set. My roommates don't know how to handle knives (putting them in dishwashers, letting them sit in the sink, etc). So spending a lot of money wasn't an option.

The balance is not bad, considering the price. They are not hard to handle, but they do "feel" cheap. They were not sharp, so I got the important ones sharpened right away (chef, slicer, utility, paring).

My one big complaint is that they rust very quickly. The way we treat the knives I expected some rust but these are ridiculous. I end up giving them a CLR bath once a month to keep it under control. Just be aware of it.

In short I recommend this to somebody who A) Has little money B) Needs nearly a full set of kitchen tools and C) Doesn't want to or know how to, correctly treat knives. If you fall into all three this is the set for you. Just don't pay more than $25 for it.

Lodge L8DOL3 Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Dutch Oven with Dual Handles, 5-Quart
Lodge L8DOL3 Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Dutch Oven with Dual Handles, 5-Quart
Price: $35.97
87 used & new from $28.76

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the Dutch Oven you want for indoor cooking, January 22, 2005
Short review. This will become one of the most important pieces in your kitchen. I like the handles better than the other lodges, and NOTHING compares to cast iron.

Alton Brown raves about this thing and for good reason. He also writes of a casserole pot, don't get it unless you are a chef. This works everywhere that one does. An excellent buy.

My only word of caution. I love the loop handles, but IF you are one of the rare people who still cook with a campfire, get the other 5qt lodge.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2013 3:29 PM PST