Profile for J. Obra > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 55

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Obra "Avid Review Reader & Writer" RSS Feed (Los Angeles, CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Quirky PowerCurl 60w Clip-On Cord Wrap for Apple MagSafe Power Adapter - for MacBook, 13-inch MacBook Pro Blue
Offered by Widget One, LLC

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as it should!, October 4, 2014
I'm always on the go since I'm at school and travel a lot and wrapping the cord with the extension cord is just not possible.

Thanks to the Quirky PowerCurl, my cables are better managed and neat! This wrap is very straightforward to use and doesn't take too much extra room in my bag.

iPhone 6 Plus Case, Spigen® [AIR CUSHION] iPhone 6 Plus (5.5) Case Bumper **NEW** [Ultra Hybrid Series] [Black] Air Cushion Technology Corners Bumper Case with Clear Back Panel - ECO-Friendly Packaging - Bumper Case for iPhone 6 Plus (5.5) (2014) - Black (SGP10898)
Offered by Spigen Inc
Price: $13.99
7 used & new from $12.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Prevent bendgate! Get a case!, October 4, 2014
I've been using Spigen cases since my iPhone 5, I just love their build quality, pricing and design!

When I bought my iPhone 6 Plus, I wanted a case that protected while showing off the gold back side of my phone and the AIR CUSHION is the one!

Unboxing and installation is straightforward. I think the hardest part was removing the two "films" on each side because it requires a bit of nails to peel off. After that, you'll notice that you have a very clear back case though!

PROS:
+ Crystal clear back
+ Minimal design
+ Feels great and secure
+ "Lips" on the front and back on phone to avoid surfaces
+ Inadvertently prevents possible "bendgate" thanks to it's solid back.

The only thing I didn't really like was the buttons as they don't feel as tactile enough to distinguish between the volume buttons and I feel that I have to push really deep to function. Initially, this is how it felt for me but after a while I got used to the buttons. Also, the cutouts for the holes (speakers and headphone port) are nicely made, but may not fit your lightning connector if it's thicker than the original cord

[Apple MFI Certified] iXCC ® Lightning Cable 3ft (Three Feet) Element Series 8 pin to USB SYNC Cable Charger Cord for Apple iPhone 5 / 5s / 5c / 6 / 6 Plus, iPod 7, iPad Mini / mini 2/ mini 3, iPad 4 / iPad Air / iPad Air 2(Compatible with iOS 8) [2pcs Black and White]
Offered by iXCC
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality for the price!, October 4, 2014
Originally I've been buying those cheap $1-2 cords that aren't MFI certified and those cords lasts me for less than a month! Not only was I getting the "not compatible" notification, then it wouldn't start charging at all after that.

So I decided on buying these iXCC cables and it was totally WORTH IT. No more incompatibility and charging issues and I use this on a daily basis with some abuse such as constant unplugging/plugging and carrying in my pockets. It just works completely like the original cord without the original price. The build quality is good and I have never seen any breakdown of the cord from the constant unplugging after six months. So this cord is GREAT!

I highly recommend this cable for your lightning port needs. I have a bought a total of two more pairs (a total of SIX!) for my cars, computers, and beside plugs.

Laptop Backpack, Spigen® 13 inch Laptop Backpack [Klasden 2 Backpack] [Black] Laptop Bag (fits up to 13 inch Laptop)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits my 2014 13" MBP Retina, September 30, 2014
PROS:
+ FLUFFYNESS. The laptop and tablet compartments are lined with fuzzy goodness. Softness comparable to moccasins to protect your electronics and screens.
+ Solid build quality is consistent with the pricing. It doesn't feel cheap.
+ Compartments are just right for what I need. Not too much and not too little.
+ Comfortable and doesn't "ride up" my clothing while I'm walking.
+ Minimal design.
+ Stands.

CONS:
- No bottle storage, but I guess you can either hold it or store it in the bag.
- Minimal storage. Might not be the right one for those who require a ton of space.

The Spigen Klasden 2 is my first "expensive" backpack that I've owned after using a Swissgear for several years that finally worn out and I do not regret this purchase so far. For what I need as a college student that don't really need to haul many books everyday, this backpack has more than enough space. The main compartment is about three inches deep enough to probably hold a 1-inch binder and two average sized textbooks. So if you haul way more stuff, I don't think this would work out since the bag doesn't stretch out. The feature that really stood out for me on this bag is the fuzziness everyone has talked about, and they're not lying.... It feels so good! I'm really loving the build quality of this backpack because it feels robust in the outside. Protection wise, I wouldn't just drop the backpack with the laptop onto a hard object from a large height but it does offer some protection with all the padding found on the bottom of the backpack (which consequently causes the backpack to stand upright on it's own). This backpack is very unique and I'm hoping that this backpack would last after years of abuse!

I highly recommend this backpack for college students or those who are looking for backpacks with laptop/tablet storage. I haven't been able to test the water resistance of the backpack since it's been ages since it rained in LA!

iCarez® [HD Clear] for iPhone 6 Plus 5.5 inch [ Unique Hinge Install Method With Kits ] Screen protector Highest Quality Premium High Definition Ultra Clear Anti Bacterial Bubble free Reduce Fingerprint Screen Protector **PET Film Made in Japan** Easy Install With Lifetime Replacement Warranty [3-Pack] - Retail Packaging 2014
Offered by iCarez
Price: $19.99
4 used & new from $3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars iCarez makes it EASY! Open the instruction guide FIRST!, September 22, 2014
To be honest, I was about to give zero stars because the screen protector doesn't cover the entire face of the phone, but then I realized that the screen of the iPhone 6 is "curved" all around the sides making full coverage not possible.

Anyways! Installation is SO EASY with this kit. For the sake of not wasting any screen protectors, OPEN the instruction packet FIRST. You are supplied with essential "positioning" stickers that'll help you get the perfect fit. Seriously, this stuff WORKS. I've never seen any other brand of screen protectors with this much help and I'm really happy iCarez supplies us with this!

What I loved about this screen protector is that BUBBLING IS MINIMAL! Really. I've had screen protectors that bubble with the smallest piece of lint and that really frustrates me, but the iCarez DO NOT. There's actually a piece of lint under my screen protector right now and it's not bubbling. So I applaud iCarez for that.

For the price, I think it's worth it and you get a pack of three. The packaging is very simple and easy to work with and if you've never installed a screen protector before, it comes with easy to follow instructions.

Legitimate five stars. Highly recommended. I'm actually going to buy another set right now because I blew two screen protectors since I didn't use the supplied positioning stickers.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2014 1:16 PM PDT

Fujifilm Instax Mini Twin Pack Instant Film
Fujifilm Instax Mini Twin Pack Instant Film
Offered by Wiki Deals
Price: $18.10
131 used & new from $9.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Film for the Fujifilm Instax Mini 25!, January 15, 2014
The Fujifilm Instax Mini Twin Pack Instant Film contains a total of TWENTY (20) films/exposures for your Instax Mini cameras (90, 8, 50S, 25, 7S). You'll get two cartridges of ten film/exposures in this twin pack.

This film is NOT for the Fujifilm Instax 210, you'll need the WIDE version of this film.

The pricing of these film is slightly higher than traditional shoot-develop-print film, but the "instant" film is increasingly coming back to popularity. Feeling nostalgic over polaroids? These are pretty much the same. Plus would you rather wait seconds for film to develop or drive to a photo studio to have it developed for an hour?

Also, don't forget that there are different number packs of film; a 20-pack, a 50-pack, and a 100-pack. Make sure you know how much your are paying for each single film by using this equation: price of the pack divided by total number of films in the pack (example: 13.40 divided by 20).

The films above are plain white films and the cheapest. If you're interested on having designs pre-printed on the film there are a few designs like Rainbow, Rilakkuma, Stained Glass, Dalmatian, Shiny Star, Comics, Mickey and Friends, and Pooh.

This system is great for parties, outings, and random occasions for all ages!

Before everything, please READ THE INSTRUCTIONS if you haven't yet!

Installation is pretty simple and easy. When the counter is zero, just open, remove old cartridge, align with yellow lines, replace cartridge, then shoot!

Fotasy NSQS Stainless Steel Screw with Fotasy Premier Cleaning Cloth for Quick Release Neck Strap, R-Strap (Silver/Black)
Offered by RainbowImaging
Price: $6.99
3 used & new from $2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars It is what it is., January 15, 2014
I primarily bought this Fotasy NSQS Stainless Steel Screw as an extra mount for my second camera to go with my Fotasy NSQF Anti-Slip Sling Neck Strap. This allows me to not screw/unscrew the mount to each camera when I take it out of my camera bag and clip it to my strap.

The build quality is solid and it's the exact one that comes with the Fotasy NSQF Anti-Slip Sling Neck Strap.

The price for a solid and nice quality extra screw mount to match with my strap, I'd say it's pretty fair.

The microfiber cleaning cloth is a nice addition to throw in, like a cherry on the top. It's what I just needed too since I need a fresh cloth to wipe my lenses with. The cloth measures at about 7.5 x 7.5 inches.

My recommendation, get this mount if you need one to go with your Fotasy NSQF strap as it will fit for sure. If you have another brand of strap, make sure your clip will fit the mount. I think most carabiners from other straps would fit since the hole is pretty large. The measured length of the carabiner of the Fotasy NSQF is about 1.5 inches.

Nikon GR-N2000 Black Camera Grip
Nikon GR-N2000 Black Camera Grip
Offered by Adorama Camera
Price: $47.50
7 used & new from $47.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice accessory for the Nikon J1., January 15, 2014
I bought the Nikon GR-N2000 Black Camera Grip for my Nikon J1 primarily because I had the Fotodiox Pro for my Nikon V1 and it just did not feel the same without a grip to me.

Pros:
+ Perfect fit grip.
+ Allows me to hold the camera singlehandedly.
+ More stabilization.
+ Somewhat of a "drop protection" should it land bottom first (I wouldn't depend on it).
+ Theres a tripod mount under the grip.

Cons:
- Somewhat pricey. But the build (metallic) quality and function makes up for it.
- Completely blocks battery door. I wished there was a Fotodiox version of it like the V1, but there isn't. So should you need a battery/card change, you'll need to unscrew the entire grip off to access the battery door.
- If weight matters to you, it does add a little bit of weight since it uses a metallic material.
- If you have a sticker/decal attached like the Nikon J1 Leather Decoration, you're gonna have to cut up the sticker or else the grip will not fit properly since the grip is molded from the J1 body.

Recommendation: If you can afford it and the pros/cons look good to you, then I would get it. If not, I would search elsewhere or wait until a price drop. I would still recommend this no matter what because it does help stabilize the camera to a nice extent.

For about the same price and allows battery/card change with a grip, I would also consider the franiec grip.

Accoutrements Horse Head Mask
Accoutrements Horse Head Mask
Price: $19.95
6 used & new from $19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars 2014 - Year of the Horse Head Mask!, January 12, 2014
That's right folks, 2014 is THE YEAR OF THE HORSE!

Better stack up on these NOW if you haven't because you're MISSING OUT ON THE PARTY.

I wasn't invited to the party either, but buying the Accoutrements Horse Head Mask is one of the best late-night impulse buys I have ever bought.

So here are my thoughts:

- You'll get noticed for sure. We wore the mask while driving around one day (the driver is obviously missing out) with the windows down and the music up and you can pretty much guess what happened next; head turning and laughter from other cars. Not to worry, nobody gets hurt and we only mess with people during a red light.

- The usage for the mask is practically endless and I can almost guarantee that everyone else would want one.

- The more masks, the merrier. Seriously. Imagine the looks of the people as your possess strolls by.

- Is it too late for Harlem Shake? Naaaaah.

- Need I say more about a Horse Mask? Maybe! It's just plain awesomeness!

Just some tips:

- Air the mask out for 24-48 hours. The smell after opening the packaging bag felt like it just came out of the spray room. It literally smells like fresh spray can smell. I can almost guarantee that you will feel dizzy if you wear the mask if it still smells like this (by experience). I left my mask in the closet for about two nights, but it also made my closet smelled like the fumes from the mask afterwards. So be careful where you leave it to air it out!

- Not for sensitive people. If you're allergic to latex this is not for you, unfortunately. Also to those who are prone to get asthmatic easily. I also don't recommend wearing the mask for a long period of time.

- May scare small children based on past experience with the mask on. So think about your audience before anything.

- The mask is "slightly" fragile, especially under the mouth around the chin area as the plastic feels a little thin there.

For about $20, it is slightly expensive. But since there are cheap knockoffs out there, the one that I got from Accoutrements is the best quality and worth the investment.

Would I recommend the mask? It's 2014 and The Year of the Horse! What are you waiting for? Party on! or something.

Custom SLR ProDot Shutter Button Upgrade, 2 Pack, Black
Custom SLR ProDot Shutter Button Upgrade, 2 Pack, Black
Offered by CustomSLR
Price: $7.95
5 used & new from $7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as intended. Durability questionable., January 12, 2014
I've been looking for something like the Custom SLR ProDot Shutter Button Upgrade for literally years now, and now it finally exists.

So here are my thoughts:

Is it pricey? Yes. But for the price I paid ($7.95) for two buttons designed for photography, it's a fair trade. If the price stayed the same or went lower, I wouldn't mind buying it again.

Is it hard to install? No, not exactly, but I believe you would want to stick it on the shutter button correctly the first time because I think it'll last longer that way.

Does it work? Yes. Although it does feel slightly odd at first, taking photos were much more easier than before.

Is it durable? Not sure. I will update in the future if the button lasts long in everyday use. But I do hope it'll last long.

What color should I get? It's on you. I got black because I plan on doing street photography overseas for a month and getting the red one would mean my camera would stand out, which I don't want. Red is a good color though; It looks somewhat like a shutter button from a Leica or if you hand someone your camera all you have to do is say "push that big red button to take the picture" for example.

The cameras I installed the Custom SLR ProDot Shutter Button Upgrade onto is my Nikon 1 V1 and Nikon 1 J1. They both fit perfectly and I'm highly satisfied with the upgrade.

Would I recommend it? It depends on you. If you're not comfortable with your shutter button, then I would recommend getting it. But it's not an absolute necessity for photography.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6