Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL
Profile for Jeffrey Kosh > Reviews

Jeffrey Kosh's Profile

Customer Reviews: 20

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jeffrey Kosh "Jeffrey Kosh" RSS Feed (Ao Nang (Thailand))

Page: 1 | 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Booger, the Bogeyman - Simply Delicious, November 15, 2012
This review is from: BOOGER (Kindle Edition)
Note: I received a copy from the author.

I'm a fan of Frank E. Wales, so I may be a bit biased here, having read many of his short stories and some of his novels. When he offered me the opportunity to pick one of his books free, I immediately went for his first; not because I wanted to see his evolution as a writer, but for its theme. I'm simply in love with legends: urban or old.
And the bogeyman legend is one who is staying with us from humanity's dawn. Tales on this creepy kidnapper of kids have been told and retold, but Wales found a different approach to it.
He made it even scarier than the stories out there.
We are immediately treated to a terrible experience suffered by the protagonist, David. His son vanishes in the wee hours of night right under his disbeliever nose, but what he sees is enough to send him to the nuthouse for more than seven years.
Once he comes out, he has lost everything: his son, his marriage, his job, even his mind. Convinced he was the cause of his own son's demise, he tries to start a new life, but soon old horrors resurface and people around him start to die. This will lead him on the verge of alcoholism - and madness - until he meets Arthur, a hobo with a back-story very similar to his. Soon, they join forces to understand what killed their kids and most of all how to protect those they care for.
Booger is well written, filled with angst, and occasionally even cinematic (it would made for a perfect horror movie) but what will fascinate the reader is its dramatic ending.
The Booger - or Boogerman, as the scared kids call it - is something that both Lovecraft and Stephen King would love to add to their `unnameable things' cosmogony.
A must read.

LAMIA (Book 2 of the Immortal War Series)
LAMIA (Book 2 of the Immortal War Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars BIGGER AND BLOODIER, August 21, 2012
Nemesis had me charmed with angst and passion. Lamia fulfilled my need for action and rage.
The first installment of the Immortal War Trilogy introduced us to the `spiritual' universe conceived by this author, with ancient gods (seen under a different light) and mythological creatures set in a Gothic urban setting.
This second novel almost abandons all trappings and sends us to the underworld to be witness to the extreme love triangle between Nemesis, Lamia, and Michael.
Dark humor, torture scenes, and sex, add deepness to characters we have started to love - and despise, such as the Warlock - as more background is revealed.
I enjoyed LAMIA even more than NEMESIS and will surely read the next, final chapter in the trilogy: THE TOWER.

NOTE: I was offered a review copy from the author.

Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars INSIDE THE CROOK'S MIND., August 21, 2012
This review is from: BAD TRIP SOUTH (Kindle Edition)
It starts like a Tarantino's movie, in media res, amid a shootout. It goes beyond that when Mrs. Mosiman allows us to explore the back-story of two crooks on the loose. At times, it almost turns into something out of Wes Craven's Last House on the Left, with sex and realistic violence. Then, it's a roller coaster; it grips you page after page, in a breathless ride of gunfire, robberies, and unprovoked deaths, just like something out of today's news.

I was working on the formatting of this novel for the electronic book, when my eyes caught a line or two. I couldn't stop reading. Charmed by the gritty story line, I quickly finished my job, delivered the package to the author, and then plunged my nose inside this hot tale.

I wasn't disappointed. The flow is fantastic, no bumps or humps on your way down to the ending, and Mrs. Mosiman's descriptive skills had me feel a bit of heat for badass Heddy. I admit having a weakness for bad chicks with guns. Luckily, it stops in my fantasies.
Anyway, the details of Heddy's facial impairment, athletic build, and though-as-nails attitude were so well sculpted by the author, that it was like watching a movie.
Crow, the male robber, looks like one of those shady characters of today TV serials: skinny, rangy, and with the brains of a hamster on a wheel, so much he has been blown out by meth crystals.
Jay, the abusive cop, emanates an undercurrent of repressed rage and frustration.

This story could have worked even without the supernatural element of telepathy, so much it's packed with action and suspense, that, to be honest, I didn't care too much about it.

All in all, a must read.

Note: I received a copy for formatting and had the opportunity to read this great book.

Base Spirits
Base Spirits
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars HORROR AT ITS ROOTS., July 8, 2012
This review is from: Base Spirits (Kindle Edition)
I received this book as an evaluation copy from a review group.

This is the first book I've read from Ruth Barrett ... and what a surprise!
Finally found a matching author who loves classic literary horror above the unending slaughterfest of these days! Ruth has style, knows how to create tension, and never resorts to the cheap effects of blood and gore. More, her love for history and details clearly shows in this frightening tale, with her perfect use of language in Elizabethan England and precise descriptions of the age.

The story revolves around Clara Ravenscroft, a flawed heroine, not your usual run-of-the-mill horror victim, who accompanies her husband on a business trip to England expecting to find the correct inspiration and tranquillity to write a play. She soon gets taken by the mysterious tragedy of a woman, Phillipa Calverley, who was forced into an arranged marriage with a revolting abusive man in the early 1600's...
The story is actually two stories, which soon intertwine in a supernatural way. How? Well, I leave that to discover by you, but I must warn you'll find yourself turning the lights on after finishing reading this jewel of Gothic fiction.

If you love Peter Straub, James Herbert, and Shirley Jackson, this could be the right book for you. If you are looking for zombie apocalypses, sparkling vampires, or perfect billionaires with a dark sex life ... well, by all means stay away from this gemstone of `real' literary fiction.
Something rare these days ...

Purgatory Junction
Purgatory Junction

5.0 out of 5 stars Congregashun of the Damn'd, July 6, 2012
I received this book as an evaluation copy from the author before publication.

Before becoming a full time writer, before all my too-numerous jobs, before being through the mill, I was raised up a cowboy. I grew up `asking no adds atween cows and broncos'. Arizona was and still is my land. So, it was natural for me pick up this book from an author I consider a mentor in the horror genre. I was pleasantly surprised to find this was a pure dirty & gritty ole spaghetti western.
Wales goes straight for the story, no cusses and bellyaches; it opens as a Sergio Leone's movie, then the music - and bullets - start to fill the air. Six souls converge, by destiny, in a weird and dusty one-horse town. All different, all fleshed out.
Yet, they don't come here just to bend an elbow, because we soon discover that there is more running under the bedrock. The plot appears simple, but it is as twisted as a rattlesnake's coil.
Preacher Tobias is so mean he could swallow a horn-toad backwards. I really enjoyed this character.
Well, the whole story seems perfect for a movie, and should've been, because if you read the author's note you'll find it was originally developed as a screenplay for a folded film.
Congrats, Mr. Wales, with this crooked tale you shows the amazing variety of your talent.

PISSWIDGET-a short story
PISSWIDGET-a short story

5.0 out of 5 stars EDITING REVENGE, July 1, 2012
I was so lucky to receive this short tale as an evaluation copy from the author.

It is difficult to explain why I liked this short story so much without spoiling the plot.
I'm a writer, so easily identified myself with the main character, a faded old star of the written word that is lured in a literary and marketing trap by a younger, shrewd editor/publisher. But you do not need to be a writer yourself to enjoy this fast paced, Hitchcockian tale.
Let's just say that Revenge is a plate best served ... edited.

Geek 'n Dork: A Novel
Geek 'n Dork: A Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a cheap laugh and glad for it., June 16, 2012
I'm a horror reader and writer. Yet, this doesn't mean I can't enjoy some lighthearted laughs, quite the contrary. I looked for some good funny time in this `dorky' thing.
I was disappointed. In a good way.
Author David Brown wrote a novel about us; his characters' geekiness and dorkiness are ours.
This is written in a light manner, but all subjects are serious and thought provoking. In short, it is one of those rare books that stay with you long after you read the last word of it. I see much of Brown's jargon will become common parlance among his fans.

I'm really glad Mr. Brown disappointed my need for a cheap laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite story from 'Oh, the Horror!', June 4, 2012
This review is from: Doors (Kindle Edition)
OK, you see this review and think 'That's biased, he's listed as the illustrator!'
Before making the cover, I received an evaluation copy from the author.
Yep, that's true, I decided to make a cover for this short story. I'm also an author horror stories, so that should underrate all my reviews. No way!
I'm a reader first, just like you, and was so caught by Mrs. Johnesee's anthology that I contacted her to know more about her writing. She's a nice person, open to suggestions and advice. I suggested her to allow people get a sample of her writing skills with 'DOORS', the best from her collection in my humble opinion.
I was so in love with the story that I offered myself as cover designer ... and she accepted.
What's so amazing in this shorty, you are surely wondering?
It's twists and well-researched plot. Mrs. Johnesee knows a lot about human psychology, and she shows it in this tale. Being a short tale, I can't tell you more, except you have to read down to the last line to get the whole drama. And that's amazing.
I'm so proud to have my tiny piece of art gracing the cover of this little jewel.

Apartment 23A
Apartment 23A

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising and Charming ... in Madness, June 2, 2012
This review is from: Apartment 23A (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this with a skeptical heart; it was my first read of this author, and I have my personal policy of reviewing only books I liked, so this means from 3 to 5 stars. Lately, I had the displeasure of coming in possession of numerous 'Indie books' who were well below my standards. Mind you, I don't care about typos or blatant grammatical errors (I've found them even in traditional publishing) but I do care for story and internal consistency.
I found all of this in Mr. Cusie's work. Apartment 23A is a complex story and it's easy to get confused in it, because that's even the author's goal from start. It is a slow descent to madness, punctuated by moments of bright illumination; it is a modern days gospel of what it means to be sane ... or insane.
Congrats, Mr. Cusie, you embraced a difficult path and showed us your navigation skills.
Five deserved stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tale of Mirrors, May 22, 2012
This review is from: CARNIVAL FREAK (Kindle Edition)
I was fortunate enough to read this delicious short story just before its release as an evaluation copy from the author.
As you can see I'm becoming a fan of Mrs. Mosiman's work, having started with `Wireman', and then following her up to her latest short masterpiece `Frankenstein: Return From the Wasteland'.
If you read my review about her take on Shelley's greatest, you'll register my initial skepticism, soon replaced by adoration for the piece.
This author has one of the rarest gifts in the writing world: versatility.
She could write a novel about Godzilla traveling back in time to save Abraham Lincoln and make it believable and interesting. She adapts her voice to the setting, yet here and there you can hear her distinctive use of words and lines, but she never intrudes, allowing you to enjoy her descriptions.
In short, you never hear her saying `Heck! Look how much I'm good at it!'
And this short tale is a marvelous example of it. Another author would have jumped at the opportunity to use his voice and style, wearing the clothes of the Carnival Barker, and guiding the reader into the dark side of the story.
Nope, with diligent professionalism, she stays out of the stage, and tells this tale in the manner of a consummate storyteller, as a master weaver of weird tales, just like the ones we used to watch in TV shows like `Tales from the Crypt', Twilight Zone, and many more.
And it's one of those rare tales of mirrors.
Do not look too close or you'll see the monster in you, because the longer you stare, the deeper you see.
And we all harbor monsters, don't we?
Don't we all slow down to peek at the result of a car crash? Yes, we all find excuses for that: 'I'd like to be of help', 'Maybe someone got hurt'.
But the monster inside us craves for blood, it really wants to see the mangled bodies, the pain.
That's why, deep inside, we all like freakshows. Today, we made illuminated laws to protect those unfortunate from humiliating and undeserved exhibit of themselves for the monster's enjoyment. But freakshows are still out there, in different guises. They hide on TV, in the news, in social networks and on youtube.
We keep feeding our monsters.
The freak of the side show may not be the ugliest and scariest at first glance, yet, once truth comes out, you'll find he has his place among the vilest of things.
But is he really?
Or are the watchers worse than the caged beast? He doesn't hide his nature, like them. He may be a monster, and he shows it, but are the avid and morbid onlookers more candid?
I don't think so.
And you'll discover why buying this excellent page-turner.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2012 7:30 AM PDT