Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th
Profile for Erik Harris > Reviews

Browse

Erik Harris' Profile

Customer Reviews: 35

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Erik Harris RSS Feed (Fairfax Station, VA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Soffe Men's Men'S Long Sleeve Cotton T-Shirt,Black,MED
Soffe Men's Men'S Long Sleeve Cotton T-Shirt,Black,MED
Price: $7.99
2 used & new from $7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent shirt, slightly less comfortable than competing brands, February 14, 2016
For its low price, this shirt is decent, but it's not nearly as comfortable as the various other long-sleeve T-shirts I own from Gildan, Fruit of the Loom, Hanes, etc. As I write this review, this shirt is more expensive than those more well-established brands. I wouldn't recommend it unless you can get it for a much lower price than a more well-established (and more comfortable) brand.

MEE audio 3.5mm AUX Replacement Headphone/Headset Audio Cable with In-Line Remote, Microphone, and Universal Volume Control for Apple, Android, and more (Black)
Price: $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, reliable patch cable with remote button, February 14, 2016
I wanted a cable I could use to connect my (Android) phone to rental cars without having to mess with BlueTooth settings, and which would also let me pause/resume my podcasts. This fit the bill exactly, and the flat cable doesn't get quite as tangled in my luggage as a traditional round cable would.

Feedback Sports Velo Wall Rack (Black)
Feedback Sports Velo Wall Rack (Black)
Price: $31.50
5 used & new from $26.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and adjustable. Great bike rack!, February 14, 2016
This bike rack is sturdy and nicely adjustable to support bikes of various shapes. It's exactly what I needed.

Panasonic Lumix G H-H020AK 20mm F/1.7 II ASPH Fixed Lens for Panasonic/Olympus Micro Four Thirds Cameras (Black)
Price: $267.99
23 used & new from $234.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, bright lens!, February 14, 2016
I miss being able to zoom in and out when using this lens, but the f/1.7 aperture's indoor/low light performance makes it totally worth it. This has become my go-to lens, and I use it more than any of my other (three) micro-4/3 lenses. I'm not a phenomenal photographer, but this helps make my photos look really great!

Rubie's Costume Men's Marvel Universe Guardians Of The Galaxy Deluxe Star-Lord, Multicolor, One Size Costume
16 used & new from $35.77

4.0 out of 5 stars It's exactly what you probably expect, February 14, 2016
It's kind of cheesy and thin (as I expected), but when I needed a costume on short notice for a party, this worked perfectly. It fits comfortably, and as long as you're not too active in it, it'll survive a party intact.

UL&CE Certified - Lithium Roomba Replacement Battery For iRobot Roomba 500, 600, 700 and 800 Series, 4400 mAH
Offered by Lithium Power Incorporation
Price: $69.00
8 used & new from $49.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great (as of a few months after purchase), February 14, 2016
At least so far, this works great. Installing it was easy, and it lasts a long time when I run it. I can't confirm that it'll go longer without needing replacement than the OEM battery, but since it's a Li-Ion battery, it certainly should last longer.

Omron HJ-321 Tri-Axis Alvita Pedometer, Black
Omron HJ-321 Tri-Axis Alvita Pedometer, Black
Price: $18.75
95 used & new from $16.79

2.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly inaccurate! This misses anywhere from 10% to 50% of my steps!, February 14, 2016
My employer recently gave me a FitBit Zip (basic model that's only a Bluetooth pedometer) for a "steps challenge," but I often go places where I can't have radio transmitters (BlueTooth). So I bought this device to wear and enter my steps manually. I haven't robustly characterized the accuracy of my FitBit, but a handful of spot checks I did suggested it was pretty accurate. Before switching over, I wore both together while getting ready in the morning, and I found that for every 300 steps the FitBit registered, this Omron device registered only 200!

I thought maybe it was just something about the steps I take when puttering around the bathroom in the morning, so I waited until I could wear both for an entire day to re-evaluate. The results were perfectly consistent. With both devices next to one another in the same pocket, for every 3,000 steps the FitBit registered, the Omron registered 2,000 steps. I repeated the experiment on a second day, and the results were even worse - the Omron pedometer registered only about half as many steps as the FitBit

At least I know that I can get a reasonable estimate by multiplying its measurements by 1.5, so I'll keep using it for my workplace challenge and call that correction factor "good enough," but the incredibly poor accuracy is a terrible disappointment.

Edit: I've investigated some more, and now I'm seeing it missing anywhere from 10% to 50% of a day's steps (meaning I have to multiply by somewhere between 1.2 and 2.0 to get a reasonably accurate count), so it's even less consistent than I wrote above. Doing some spot checking, I've found that the Omron tends to miss a lot of steps first thing in the morning. I can take 50+ steps and have it read "0." Once it "wakes up," it's better, and it very accurately counts *IF* I walk at a steady pace and nearly in a straight line. Starting and stopping throws it off. Abruptly changing direction throws it off. Marching in place throws it off. Going up and down stairs throws it off (I work on the 5th floor and use the stairs). In each of these situations, it misses quite a few steps. (I've come to these conclusions by looking at the pedometer, counting my steps in various situations, looking again, and seeing that it didn't keep up).

If you're just using this to measure your steady strolls through the park, it'll be very accurate, but if you want an accounting of how many total steps you take in a day, including when you just walk across the room and back, look elsewhere. This will miss a large portion of the steps that are part of day-to-day life.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2016 3:09 PM PST

Car Mount, Vena DASH55 [One Hand] Universal Dashboard Windshield Phone Holder for iPhone SE 6S 6 Plus 5, Galaxy S7 S7 Edge S6 Edge S5, LG G5 G4 Smartphones (3.5-6.3 inch)
Offered by SF Planet
Price: $16.99
2 used & new from $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great if your phone has no case or a VERY thin case, February 8, 2016
The gummy base is impressively sticky. It stuck to my dashboard so well that the dash panel was moving quite a bit as I pried it off. Removing it was very difficult (I was afraid it would pull the dash panel off), but it didn't leave any residue. I'm sure its stickiness will get more reasonable with subsequent uses. If you want to stick this on your car and just leave it there full-time, it should certainly remain in place!

There's one significant shortcoming, though. Most of us have some kind of case on our phones to protect them from being dropped. My case is fairly low-profile, but even so, it makes it so if I don't put the phone in this case VERY carefully, it'll pop out on its own in a few seconds. The device's "claw" should be extended to support thicker devices, to account for phone cases. If I place the phone with great care, it stays in place, though.

Hanes Men's 10 Pack Ultimate Ankle Socks, White, 10-13 (Shoe Size 6-12)
Hanes Men's 10 Pack Ultimate Ankle Socks, White, 10-13 (Shoe Size 6-12)
Price: $9.99
6 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, comfortable, fit as expected., November 17, 2015
These don't seem quite as warm and comfy as my prior set (a few years ago, at least), but they're quite comfortable, and they're replacing my old socks just in time.

Seiko Men's SNKA21K Automatic Stainless Steel Watch
Seiko Men's SNKA21K Automatic Stainless Steel Watch

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking watch... as long as you're not looking at it to tell time., January 23, 2015
I've had this watch for just over four years now, and after wearing it nearly every single day since late 2010, I've decided to set it aside and look for a replacement. I really like the look of the watch, and until recently, I've been reasonably happy with its accuracy. It seemed to lose around 40 seconds a day, so once or twice a week, I'd have to set it ahead a few minutes. After growing up wearing quartz watches, that was a bit annoying, but it was minor enough that I'd have given the watch 4-5 stars.

Unfortunately, for a number of months now, it's been losing 2-5 minutes per DAY, with no change in my behavior. I've even gotten into the habit of trying to manually wind the watch up (vigorously shaking it in a circular pattern) on a near-daily basis in an attempt to keep it from losing time, but that's had no effect. Its ability to keep time just keeps slowly getting worse. What's the purpose of getting an automatic watch if it's going to stop working well in less time than it takes for a standard watch battery to die?

I know Seiko is well-respected and known for their quality, but most of the cheap Timex watches I've worn have lasted considerably longer before I've needed to replace batteries or bands.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4