Profile for Barbara Freshley > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Barbara Freshley "Family Physician" RSS Feed (Akron, Ohio, USA)

ADD In The Workplace: Choices, Changes, And Challenges
ADD In The Workplace: Choices, Changes, And Challenges
by Kathleen G. Nadeau
Price: $22.03
68 used & new from $0.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Career/Work Help for ADD, January 9, 2008
Add In The Workplace: CHOICES, CHANGES, AND CHALLENGES
This book will really help ADD-affected adults to understand how ADD can affect work adversely. It is a valuable guide to using information about this disorder to choose and/or revise one's work to take advantage of one's strengths, and mitigate the effects of associated weaknesses, in the work arena. As with every good book I've read on ADD, I only wish I could have read it much earlier in my life. Maybe I wouldn't have had to learn EVERYTHING the hard way. People diagnosed with ADD can definitely spare themselves lost time and bad vocational experiences by reading this book.

Kitchen Table Wisdom 10th Anniversary (Deckle edge)
Kitchen Table Wisdom 10th Anniversary (Deckle edge)
by Rachel Naomi Remen
Price: $13.35
192 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Reading, January 9, 2008
Kitchen Table Wisdom: Stories That Heal
I was given a copy of this book by a colleague many years ago. I only recently read it for the first time, and I now realize what a wonderful gift I received. I know I will reread this book and refer to it many times. The subtitle explains it: "Stories That Heal." I cannot imagine that anyone reading this book thoughtfully would not be deeply rewarded for the time spent. I very rarely have read something that I would recommend to EVERYBODY, but this is one book I WILL recommend to everybody. Epiphany, anyone? File under "Guide for Living Well."

The Complete Piano Music of Scott Joplin
The Complete Piano Music of Scott Joplin
Price: $11.39
26 used & new from $7.80

1.0 out of 5 stars John Arpin plays Scott Joplin, January 9, 2008
Complete Piano Music of Scott Joplin
This CD collection of Scott Joplin's piano music is a treasure. I am a lifetime afficionado of Scott Joplin music, and this is the most enjoyable rendering of his piano works that I have found. John Arpin is superb in his performance. It seems obvious to me that he also treasures Joplin's compositions, because he plays them with great fun and expressiveness, and because he is true to and respectful of the original works. The occasional embellishments added by the performer are tasteful and completely in keeping with the originals. Listening to this collection over and over has inspired me to learn to play all the music it contains. Anyone thinking these pieces are redundant or very similar to all the others, has not listened to them enough. Perhaps this is a genre certain critics don't really appreciate. I admit, I initially had difficulty learning which song was which when listening, but as I learned each better I have come to discern the subtle and distinctive personalities of each. I was reminded by one critic's remarks of the line in "Amadeus" when the Emperor told the composer Mozart that his piece simply had "too many notes." I think each of Joplin's compositions adds something unique to the body of his works.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 2, 2010 10:50 AM PST

Women with Attention Deficit Disorder: Embrace Your Differences and Transform Your Life
by Sari Solden
Price: $14.95
82 used & new from $1.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Women with ADD, April 1, 2007
Incredibly helpful, uncannily accurate and surprisingly thorough handbook of the profound effects of ADD in every aspect of the lives of affected women. Thoroughly explains how the primary cognitive dysfunction causes many secondary problems in relationships, self-esteem, achievement, and emotional reactivity. Goes on to offer practical and immediately useful information on many ways of dealing with the effects of the disorder to improve quality of life. Wish I'd read it a lot sooner! Would recommend highly to any woman with ADD and to all those who care about her.

Train Your Mind, Change Your Brain: How a New Science Reveals Our Extraordinary Potential to Transform Ourselves
by Sharon Begley
124 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Train Your Mind, Change Your Brain, April 1, 2007
Well-written account of the relatively new concept of neuroplasticity, especially in the area of effective treatment of mood disorders, cognitive disorders, and other dysphorias through thought processes, including "mindful meditation" as practiced by Buddhist monks. Well-explained with real-life examples and synopses of current scientific research supporting the concepts under consideration. Definitely worth reading.