Profile for heynen > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

heynen RSS Feed

Lars and the Real Girl
Lars and the Real Girl
DVD
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice movie, June 12, 2013
I liked a lot of the small details in the movie. While never explicit, the movie quietly shows you Lars and Gus have more in common than they think, including a reluctance to share their feelings, low-grade social anxiety, etc. The two even share some of the same mannerisms (a sweet grin offered in lieu of explanation, for instance).

Lars is often dressed perfectly, in stark contrast to the everyday, rural look of the townspeople, who are allowed to look real. This was a nice way of showing Lars' issues: one of the only things he can control is his appearance.

The movie is a sympathetic portrait of a man obviously on the low end of the autistic spectrum, but it does pull some punches. Lars is never violent: his actions never stray far away from 'cute'.

The New Yorker
The New Yorker
Price: $5.99
2 used & new from $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, April 13, 2010
This review is from: The New Yorker (Kindle Edition)
I subscribed to the New Yorker on my Kindle with very low expectations. I initially tried reading the New York Times on my Kindle and the experience was awful. The Kindle can't provide the same ease-of-use as a traditional newspaper. But to my surprise I found the New Yorker adapted wonderfully to this device. It's fantastic. For two bucks a month, I get a ton of articles to read every week - and yes, it includes the cover and cartoons. Instead of walking around with the awkward print version, I can read the content wherever I go, whether it be the subway or on my lunch break. Once I was even beamed a new issue right before I took off in a plane. And I archive all the old issues if I want to find something I haven't read yet. My Kindle is quickly becoming my 'electronic New Yorker'. If I were Amazon, I would be aggressively improving quality and launching heavier marketing campaigns promoting its functionality regarding magazines like the New Yorker. And to the magazines - I was going to cancel the New Yorker, but instead, you've retained me as a customer through the Kindle.

UPDATE: Unfortunately I need to take a star off for a problem I was not aware of: Amazon's policy to not let you transfer issues to your computer for backup. There's an option to 'keep' issues on your Kindle, but if your Kindle breaks, you can't transfer them. This policy is unwieldy and unproductive.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2012 3:24 PM PST