Profile for Carol Lee > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Carol Lee RSS Feed (Ohio)

Page: 1 | 2
Ulla Popken Plus Size Classic Dress Coat
Ulla Popken Plus Size Classic Dress Coat
Offered by Ulla Popken
Price: $159.95 - $169.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Sizes run big, October 31, 2012
The cut of this coat is attractive, although there is a lot of material up around the neck which did not flatter my short, no-neck frame. Also the coat felt about two sizes too big when it arrived, I'm not sure their sizing chart is quite right.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2012 11:04 AM PST

Mrs Olson's Lefse (9.6 ounce)
Mrs Olson's Lefse (9.6 ounce)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not at all like my grandma made..., July 24, 2012
Agree with several other reviewers, it's just not good. I don't know if I'm tasting preservatives or the packaging, but it definitely tastes artificial. Sorry, I really wanted it to be good.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Way too much $ for what it is, November 3, 2009
I wish I could have shopped for this kind of item in person so you could see how big, how bright, generally how it works.

The light itself doesn't wake you. The beeping alarm (or radio) wakes you. In no way should this product be advertised as "an exciting new way to start the day." The total effect of this item is when you wake up to your alarm, there's a low watt bedside light on in your dark room. That's it. Ok, so you didn't sense the light come on because it was gradual... but the end result is not impressive. Even at the peak of the "sunrise," it doesn't light up the room or make you believe you're waking up to light.

Doesn't seem like the technology in this product is complex enough to warrant the price. I bought a timer for my bedside lamp for $5.99 at my local hardware and will see how it compares.

On the plus side, shipping was speedy and it arrived ahead of schedule. I bought it through amazon.com so I could possibly read reviews and have some confidence about ease of return. Amazon's list price, new, was $77 compared to the Soleil website's listing of $165, which is a laughable price point for what this is.

Quarterlife Crisis: The Unique Challenges of Life in Your Twenties
Quarterlife Crisis: The Unique Challenges of Life in Your Twenties
by Alexandra Robbins
Price: $12.48
559 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted this to be better., June 10, 2002
Has some good points, but it is a rather annoying read.
The jacket claims that it's the "first book to name and document this phenomenon." Perhaps to name it, but student development theory can explain a good amount of the post-college identity development that is described here. "Statistics don't exist" because it appears from the forward that they're referring only to psychological research limited only to this age group, including only studies on mental disorders (?) like depression and anxiety. I think the arguments would be stronger and more credible if they had done a thorough literature search and cited other sources (but they get around that by claiming they're the first).
The forward says it's a book to help the general public understand 20 somethings, and for 20 somethings to realize they're not alone in making difficult adjustments after college... but they don't stay committed to knowing their audience, and that's what's annoying.
You're reading along, they're making their point, then they throw in snarky little asides in parentheses... sarcastic inserts that do nothing for the flow/credibility of the point they're making.
An example: "We weren't particularly interested in illustrating any life lessons, just as we knew that 20 somethings weren't particularly interested in reading them. Spewing cliches is boring. (Besides, that's what parents are for.) We just wanted to tell it like it is." (p 70).
Any parent reading this to truly understand their adult son or daughter is going to stop reading right there. I nearly did. There are enough other instances of these little "hooks" that just plain get in the way. My guess is they go for "clever" to entice their younger audience to keep reading, since the asides are aimed at 20 somethings, like inside jokes that potentially backfire in holding other readers. It's almost an insult to 20 somethings, like, you feel you have to resort to this to hold my attention?
Also, the term "twentysomethings" becomes tiresome... a "spewed cliche" if you will...
Strengths are the interviews... being a 20 something myself, I think the experiences as described are honest and accurate. (Some do come across rather whiney.)
Valuable as an OVERVIEW of life issues that prove to be a challenge for many young adults (no discussion on whether the transition is similarly challenging for those who did not attend college, or those who transition out of college later in life as a 'non-traditional' student).
Topics include: vocation, choosing a career path, gaps between expectations that college leads directly to the $70k dream job, and reality of what's available for a recent grad... I've heard this referred to as "post-parchment depression."
Balancing relationships, making friends, redefining relationships
with parents, etc. Better defining their own values apart from
external pressures. To marry or not to marry, etc.
Fear of the unknown, fear to take risks, "what if I fail?" How to make decisions when you feel like you have no idea what direction you even want to go.
An interesting chapter called "What if I'm scared to stop being a
kid?" - how many young adults see themselves through the eyes of
"adults"
IN ADDITION and/or INSTEAD, I recommend:
"Big Questions Worthy Dreams: Mentoring young adults in their
search for meaning, purpose, and faith" by Sharon Daloz Parks (2000)
"Making Their Own Way: Narratives for transforming higher
education to promote self-development" by Marcia Baxter Magolda (2001)

The Weathering Grace of God: The Beauty God Brings from Life's Upheavals
The Weathering Grace of God: The Beauty God Brings from Life's Upheavals
by Ken Gire
39 used & new from $0.24

5.0 out of 5 stars One of those books that hits you where you live..., March 16, 2002
Very accessible, descriptive writing. His use of metaphor is engaging - is there anyone who can NOT relate to navigating the storms of life? And the hope that weathering the storms will produce new growth. The edition I read was short, plenty of white space on the page - uncluttered pages left room for me to add my thoughts, I liked that.
I really enjoyed his writing style, and I'm eager to read more of his work.

Mambo Santa Mambo: Christmas From the Latin Lounge
Mambo Santa Mambo: Christmas From the Latin Lounge
23 used & new from $10.45

1.0 out of 5 stars This was a throw-back..., February 1, 2002
Preview, preview, preview before you buy!
Of course it's fun to add a new "sound" to your collection of Christmas classics... I know there are better alternatives. I found this one to be more annoying than interesting.
If you hate buying a CD only to find 2 good songs, you've been warned.
If you'd like to pick up a copy for cheap, check out the Salvation Army, that's where mine went.

The Journey of Desire: Searching for the Life We've Only Dreamed of
The Journey of Desire: Searching for the Life We've Only Dreamed of
by John Eldredge
367 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Good news! There really is more to LIFE than, well, this., February 1, 2002
Other reviews have touched on overall main points, the part that meant the most to me was the conversation about heaven - the life we're created for! For the first time, heaven sounds cool!
Quoting from page 111 (ch.7): "Nearly every Christian I have spoken with has some idea that eternity is an unending church service... and without giving it much thought we have settled on an image of the never-ending sing-along in the sky, one great hymn after another, forever and ever, amen. And our heart sinks. Forever and ever? That's it? That's the good news? And then we sigh and feel guilty that we are not more 'spiritual.'
Heaven is the restoration of Eden - paradise. No wonder we're frustrated by this life in between, it's a fallen world, our souls show scars to prove it.
Read the book, you'll see how this concept fits into the overall picture.
An aside about "all the quotes" that others found distracting - many of them are Scripture, so I don't recommend skimming them all... the other quotes he has chosen are references from music and literature, and are evidence to me that a counselor from Colorado Springs is not the only one thinking and writing on the pursuit for MEANING in life... believers and nonbelievers alike are thirsty for it. The author is pointing in the direction he believes the well to be, I have a hunch he's right...

Living the Questions: Making Sense of the Mess and Mystery of Life
Living the Questions: Making Sense of the Mess and Mystery of Life
by Carolyn Arends
55 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll find yourself in these pages, February 1, 2002
This book was the right message at the right time in my life. If you've ever experienced the "mess and mystery of life" and asked "Where is God in this?!" or if you're like me, "Okay, God, what in the world was I supposed to learn from that?!"... you'll find a kindred spirit in these pages.
The tone of the book is so far from 10 ways to fix your life, or why aren't you more spiritual... More like - here's some of the mess and mystery I've encountered, and these are the questions I'm asking. Let me share what I'm learning through all of this - surprise! There's beauty to be found amidst the chaos! She expresses herself so beautifully, I agree with the other reviewer, I wanted to read more.

This Fine Place So Far from Home: Voices of Academics from the Working Class
This Fine Place So Far from Home: Voices of Academics from the Working Class
by C.L. Dews
Price: $29.66
54 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Voices to be heard, May 2, 2001
I read a selection from this book for a class, which prompted me to read the rest of the book. Really interesting narratives written by a number of first generation university students from a number of races and cultures, all from working class backgrounds.
A common theme is the feeling of living in two worlds - home and school - worlds which seldom intersect. Students speak of trying to fit in with peers who were more well off, explaining why they didn't have money to go out on the weekend, or why they couldn't attend various events or spring break flings because they had to work.
Entitlement - not quite feeling like they belonged at the university... watching peers walk around like they owned the place and were born to it.
Identity - being changed by the college experience, and wondering how the experience would change their relationship with family/community who seemed, by comparison, so unchanged. Several spoke of becoming bi-lingual - speaking one way at the university and another at home. Communication styles that were vital to being understood and accepted both places.
The irony of higher education being such a point of pride for the family, who made huge sacrifices for the student to be the first in the family - not knowing that the college experience would potentially pull the student away from identifying with that family/community working-class culture.
University values - While schools are at least talking about racial unity, there was less attention given to class unity. Many struggled with the idea that the whole purpose of getting a university education was to "get a brighter future", a "better opportunity", to "escape" having to work a blue collar job. If blue collar is who I am and who my famliy is, why is that something to escape? These were conflicting messages for many... be inclusive and sensitive to differences, but the white collar world is a higher, more worthy pursuit.
The only reason I gave it 4 out of 5 stars is the length of the book. The narrative format is engaging, but I felt the collection was a little lengthy to hold my interest through the entire book because the themes were repeated quite often in each narrative. Still worth the read, this perspective needs to be heard!

A Hope in the Unseen: An American Odyssey from the Inner City to the Ivy League
A Hope in the Unseen: An American Odyssey from the Inner City to the Ivy League
by Ron Suskind
Price: $12.19
578 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A supplemental resource..., December 28, 2000
I enjoyed the book and learned a lot from Cedric's experience. In my online surfing, I came across previously broadcast PRI editions of This American Life (from WBEZ in Chicago). One program, originally broadcast June 12, 1998, includes an interview with Cedric Jennings and the author, Ron Suskind. In the interview, Cedric expands on the feeling of moving between two worlds and not quite feeling at home in either. You can listen online with RealPlayer.

Page: 1 | 2