Profile for Holly > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 395

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Holly RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
American Gangster (Single Disc / Unrated / Extended Version)
American Gangster (Single Disc / Unrated / Extended Version)
DVD ~ Denzel Washington
Price: $7.49
84 used & new from $1.60

4.0 out of 5 stars I Liked Watching Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe., November 15, 2014
Both actors gave good performances. The movie is graphic and the violence is intense and there's plenty of it. But, I liked the movie anyway.

Crazy Heart
Crazy Heart
DVD ~ Scott Cooper
Price: $5.00
178 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars I Don't Exactly Know What I Expected, But I Expected More., November 15, 2014
This review is from: Crazy Heart (DVD)
Jeff Bridges was good (he is a guarantee, always). I bet he had fun doing the part--I mean the performing/music. The drunk/redemption stuff just did not appeal to me. I thought the movie is mediocre, at best. Certainly, as a movie, nothing special. After all the hype, I was disappointed.

Once Upon A Time In The West
Once Upon A Time In The West
DVD ~ Various
Price: $5.71
39 used & new from $1.71

5.0 out of 5 stars A Giant Of Cinema. Incredible Score, Casting, Acting, Direction, Camera Work, Cinematography. A Masterpiece., November 2, 2014
This review is from: Once Upon A Time In The West (DVD)
The movie version I saw was 2hrs. and 45 minutes long. After I watched it, I listened to the commentary. The commentary was equally brilliant. Getting into the head and behind the lens of Leone. That's where I learned what had been cut for US audiences as presented in 1968. The commentary was wonderful.
The movie is equally nuanced and brutal. I loved the way it began--about 15 minutes of silence, but totally riveting. Henry Fonda, definitely out of cast type plays a vicious murderer, Charles Bronsom was completely at his best (maybe, it was his best), and Jason Robards as a criminal was equally great. I loved it. Looks like it's not for everyone. This movie is fine art.

Law & Order: Los Angeles - The Complete Series
Law & Order: Los Angeles - The Complete Series
DVD ~ Terrence Howard
Offered by Outlet Promotions
Price: $12.82
40 used & new from $8.98

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 Stars. Add Extra Star For Alfred Molina And Terrence Howard., October 19, 2014
I liked watching this series, but I purchased it because it featured Alfred Molina and Terrence Howard. I may be one of the few that never watched the Law & Order shows (I've only seen a few of them over the years). Like I said, the Show gets a 4, but I added an Extra Star for the compelling acting of both Molina and Howard. Since I am not really familiar with the long running Law & Order series, I can not compare those programs with this series. The order in which the shows were presented in this package (appearing to be non-sequential--and they are) throws everything off, but this is discussed and explained in the commentary in one of the programs. Not that it really improves the viewing experience, but I appreciated it and it lends clarity. So again 4 stars for the series and an extra star for the excellent performances of both Molina and Howard (I think they're both great actors).

The Commish: The Complete Series
The Commish: The Complete Series
DVD ~ Michael Chiklis
Offered by Lee's Movies
Price: $77.77
11 used & new from $26.83

2.0 out of 5 stars First, I Saw The Shield. It Was, In Everyway, The Best., October 19, 2014
So....when I saw this offered (I had never seen it or heard of it), I bought the series. Boy, what a major let down. Michael Chiklis was absolutely brilliant in The Shield. In the Commish, he was, for all practical purposes, a dufus. I'm glad this vehicle took him to The Shield, but The Commish was, in the words of only one other reviewer I saw, sophomoric. It looks like everyone else gave this series 5 stars. I sure don't get it. Different strokes, for sure.
I had no problem playing any of the discs (they all played well and clearly). None were damaged and I really didn't take issue with the packaging. It is, solely, the content of the writing that makes this series, in my opinion, a major loser. I watched the whole thing and nothing was redeeming in that effort. I thought it was pretty terrible. It appears many reviewers referred to this as family viewing. Does programming have to be so dumbed down to qualify as "family viewing"? Yikes!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2014 11:00 PM PST

The Brave One (Widescreen Edition)
The Brave One (Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Jodie Foster
Price: $6.67
247 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 Stars. I Liked It Really Well., October 18, 2014
A good revenge film (many reviewers have compared it to Charles Bronson's Death Wish). Jody Foster is very good and so is Terrance Howard--and together they have excellent chemistry. Does get brutal. She's the battered surviving victim of senseless, random violence and she decides she's not going to take it anymore (don't get mad, get even)--he's a cop. If you like this genre, I will recommend this movie.

Grey's Anatomy: Season 1
Grey's Anatomy: Season 1
DVD ~ Ellen Pompeo
Price: $13.24
522 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Shonra Rhimes, Creator/Head Writer/Executive Producer Really Got It Right On This One., October 18, 2014
This review is from: Grey's Anatomy: Season 1 (DVD)
Rhimes got it right on every level. And the casting is great--some better than others. Those that are especially strong (at least in the first year) are Chandra Wilson (she is magnificent), Sandra Oh, and Isaiah Washington (and their chemistry is awesome). Honorable mention--Justin Chambers and Katerine Heigel. For me, the real weak link in character and acting is George/Knight. He seems to be a favorite among many reviewers. Not me. Comic relief? If so, I don't think it worked. The soundtrack is great and seems appropriate. It's a soap opera, but one of the finest. I already ordered season 2. The 5 star opinion incorporates all aspects of this series.
An excellent start for this series. It really is hard to believe it can get any better than this--season one.

Ally McBeal: The Complete Series
Ally McBeal: The Complete Series
DVD ~ Calista Flockhart
Offered by newbury_comics
Price: $119.99
6 used & new from $104.40

5.0 out of 5 stars TV Doesn't Get Any Better Than This., October 12, 2014
It's smart, the writing, the extensive cast (perfect in every way) the uniqueness, the absurdity, the hilarity, the sensitivity, the soundtrack, the joy, the absolute over the top of this super awesome event. So Highly recommended.

Sweeney Todd - The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (Two-Disc Special Collector's Edition)
DVD ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by Shopcents
Price: $17.50
31 used & new from $0.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Buy The 2 Disk Special Edition. WOW!, October 12, 2014
The movie is great. Applause all around. I thought it was very well cast. Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman , Timothy Spall, Sasha Baron Cohen--brilliant all. And, of course, Tim Burden. Reviewers have made issue of the singing voices. I thought all of them were certainly, at the very least, competent/sufficient and did a very good job. I liked the dark appearance of the movie. It is a very dark subject matter. Sweeney Todd is a serial killer and cannibalism is an even darker matter. And it is brutally graphic/gory/bloody. Truly a horror story.
The special features are fabulous and extensive. Interviews with the actors, history of the reality/myth (?) of Sweeney Todd, history of London, history of the early literature/theater and the appetite for violence and gore in England and France and the U.S. And on and on. This 2 disk package is absolutely the best. For anyone interested in history and trivia, this is over the top good.
But, beware--major, graphic violence and very well (realistically) done. Not for the faint of heart.

Dark Shadows
Dark Shadows
DVD ~ Johnny Depp
Price: $5.00
170 used & new from $0.42

4.0 out of 5 stars I Did Not Compare This To The Original Series., October 12, 2014
This review is from: Dark Shadows (DVD)
I have seen some of the original series, so I am faintly familiar with some of the characters. What I have seen of the original series was not particularly impressive. I guess you had to be there--about 50 years ago. Maybe, that was state of the art at the time. So, I don't really compare the two. I let this stand completely on it's own and I give it 4 stars. I thought it was funny. I thought Depp did (as always) a good job. This is tongue-in-cheek. No, it is not a masterpiece and the character of Barnabus did not require Depp to dig deep (he is a completely capable and amazing actor (The Libertine). I like Tim Burton and his quirky ways. It made me laugh. It is a satire/comedy. It accomplished it's mission. I liked it. 4 stars.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20