Profile for Seeker > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Seeker RSS Feed (VA, USA)

OEM SAMSUNG OEM EB575152VA BATTERY T959 VIBRANT
OEM SAMSUNG OEM EB575152VA BATTERY T959 VIBRANT
Offered by OrionDeals
Price: $5.02
43 used & new from $0.10

2.0 out of 5 stars Old Battery. Does not charge., April 15, 2014
UPDATE (04/16/2014): Bumping one star for the vendor's quick processing of a refund. They initially contacted me to offer a replacement, which was not something I was interested in, and I said so in reply to the initial contact. Very shortly thereafter, they processed a refund. So, positive experience with their customer service, but still rather disappointed in the product they sold me.

Bought from "OEM Battery Supply" as a replacement for a Samsung Focus i917 I was planning to take for an international trip.

Put the battery in the phone, and it showed around 20% charge. Went downhill from there. After several hours of charging, the battery was dead, and the phone simply went into a reboot loop. Would try to start, and as soon as the startup process completed, it would shut down and start the whole loop again.

Yes, it's cheap, but mine was completely defective. And since I purchased from a marketplace seller, I'm at their mercy for the return process.

Bad purchase on my part. Hopefully other folks can avoid the same mistake.

NETGEAR Push2TV Wireless Display HDMI Adapter with Miracast (PTV3000) Certified for use with Kindle Fire HDX
Price: $59.99
79 used & new from $39.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Audio/Video quality spotty, connecting needs refinement, November 12, 2013
Really wanted this to work, and I'm giving it two stars because I was at least able to get it to connect (after updating the firmware as instructed, though the link in the instructions did NOT lead me to the firmware...had to search for that on Netgear's site).

I tried this with two devices, the 2013 Nexus 7, and the Dell Venue 8 Pro. In both cases, I was able to connect the device.

The Nexus simply mirrored the screen. Responsiveness was pretty iffy, and text on the TV looked pretty bad. Poor enough that it'd be better to simply read the text on the device. Games? Forget it. Video quality was terrible, and audio constantly dropped out.

The Venue 8 Pro connected easily enough, but only supported extending the screen to the TV, not mirroring, which means having to use a mouse. While that's not necessarily an issue with the PTV3000, it does make the 2nd screen useless with touch. Mirror vs. extend notwithstanding, the video quality was pretty poor here as well, as was the audio quality.

So in both cases, for the purpose I'd want to use this, the quality just isn't there.

Pros:
- Once firmware was updated, connecting the devices was reasonably straightforward.

Cons:
- Finding firmware on the website was like playing "where's Waldo?"
- Audio and Video quality was poor
- Connection would occasionally just drop on the Venue 8 Pro

In Netgear's defense, the firmware release notes specify which devices are supported, and neither of the above devices is listed. But that said, there's no link to these release notes on the product page, nor here on Amazon, only the "system requirements" that state that you need a device with Miracast or Intel WiDi.

Hopefully, in another year or so, wireless display will be ready for prime time. IMO, it's not there yet.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2013 12:45 PM PST

Nady 351 Video Wireless Lavalier System, with 351VR Receiver, WLT 15 Lavalier Transmitter with Omni Condenser Mic & Audio Cable

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor build quality, May 29, 2013
NADY should be ashamed to have their name on this.

Sound quality is OK, except that the moment the transmitter goes out of range of the receiver it makes awful popping noises.

The battery door for the receiver jammed, so I had to open the case to fix it, and the PCB on the inside was filthy and the solder joint quality was some of the worst I've ever seen. Build quality overall for the transmitter and receiver are both shoddy.

Yes it's cheap, and it's a perfect example of how you get what you pay for. Look elsewhere (assuming it's ever back in stock) and be prepared to pay a little more for a better quality wireless kit.

Professional ASP.NET MVC 3
Professional ASP.NET MVC 3
Price: $25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, thoroughly explained concepts, and great sample delivery, August 26, 2011
First, a disclaimer. I work for Microsoft, and know several of the authors personally.

That said, I purchased this book out with my own money, as a means to fill in any gaps in my MVC3 knowledge, and to get the authors' perspective on the most recent release of ASP.NET MVC. I am about halfway through the book, and I'm very pleased with it.

Unlike many multi-author books, it's very clear that Allen, Galloway, Haack, and Wilson coordinated closely on the content and code for the book. By using the MVC Music Store application consistently as the example for code samples, the reader gains more understanding of how the many pieces of an MVC 3 application fit together. One major step forward for this book (speaking as someone who's written books, and had to maintain the code samples that go along with them) is the use of the NuGet package manager to provide code samples for the book. This ensures that the authors can update the code samples easily, and that readers will always get the latest version of the code, without having to search for a URL, or browse around unnecessarily, or download and unzip a bunch of stuff to who knows where.

This may not be the right book for someone who's new to web development, as it does not purport to be for beginners. For those folks, there are lots of great resources at [...]to get you started. But if you have a basic grounding in ASP.NET MVC, or are an experienced Web Forms developer with a desire to learn what MVC3 is all about, this book is a good place to get solid information from folks who are building the product (Phil Haack and Brad Wilson) and those with a great deal of hands on experience writing code with it (Jon Galloway and K. Scott Allen).

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Ordered from Target via Amazon...product was melted, January 14, 2011
I'm a fan of Supreme Protein bars, as they are one of the only brands that I've found that actually taste good (probably due to the amount of sugar alcohols they use, but that's another story).

Unfortunately, I'm 3 for 3 on shipments from Amazon/Target that have clearly been subjected to temperature extremes that are beyond the bars' ability to tolerate, resulting in some parts of the bar that should be soft and chewy ending up hard (in the case of the Peanut Butter Crunch flavor, as well as the Caramel Nut Chocolate) or the entire bar melting and reforming inside the package (in the case of the Rocky Road Brownie flavor I ordered).

Part of the responsibility lies with the manufacturer, in that the bars should be able to tolerate a certain amount of temperature change without ruining the bars, but it certainly appears that in some cases Target (or their distributor/shipper) is allowing the bars to reach a temperature that they should not. Given that I ordered these in the middle of winter, it's pretty clear they didn't melt on the truck, so chalk it up to mishandling.

Either way, I'm not planning to order any more of these online...too easy to end up with something very disappointing.

Supreme Protein 15g, Caramel Nut Chocolate, 9 - 1.75 oz bars

Supreme Protein 43g Bars, Peanut Butter Crunch, 9-Count
Offered by The Vitamin Shoppe
Price: $15.99
5 used & new from $15.54

2.0 out of 5 stars Ordered from Target via Amazon...product was melted., January 14, 2011

Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2013 5:19 PM PDT

ZyXEL PLA401 200 Mbps Powerline HomePlug AV Wall-plug Adapter (Starter Kit--2 units)
2 used & new from $134.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed, March 27, 2008
Got the ZyXEL PLA401 powerline network kit today, and so far it's working great.

I purchased it to connect my Windows Vista Media Center PC to a Linksys DMA2100 Media Center Extender on another floor. I'm able to get both SD and HD recorded and live, once I tweaked the powerline Ethernet adapters a bit.

Some tips:

- The ZyXEL 401s do not seem to like to be plugged in alongside a wall wart type adapter. I had the ZyXEL plugged directly into the wall, and a wall wart in the other socket, and my network bandwidth was poor to moderate. I removed the wall wart, and the bandwidth improved dramatically.

- Although I've seen lots of people suggest that you can't use these with a surge protector, the powerline adapter I have connected to the hub nearest my media center PC is plugged into a surge protector, and it works fine. Not sure whether it would be acceptable if I had both adapters going through a surge protector, but at least this way I have the more expensive equipment protected from surges.

- If you're having trouble with responsiveness of the extender interface, it's very likely that this is network-related. While the UI on my 2100 still isn't quite as responsive as my Media Center box, it's MUCH better now that I have adequate bandwidth.

- If you decide to use the utility shipped with the units to turn on encryption, you may want to plug each unit into a hub connected to the PC on which you run that utility, rather than trying to configure one end remotely. If you type the wrong key in when you're configuring the remote adapter, you'll end up having to go get it and hook it up locally anyway.

I would definitely recommend this to folks who want to extend their networks to another part of the house when wireless just isn't quite cutting it. My only caveat would be that I live in a fairly new (<15 years) house, so if you're in an older house or apartment, your results might or might not be as good as mine, depending on the condition of your wiring.

If you do not need or want the encryption, these adapters are truly plug and play...you just plug in the network cables, plug the adapters into the wall, and give the units a few minutes to establish a connection, and you're done.

AeroPress Coffee Maker
AeroPress Coffee Maker
Price: $25.47
38 used & new from $16.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Coffee, easy prep, easy clean-up, February 11, 2007
This review is from: AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen)
Over the last several months I'd been dissatisfied with the coffee I was getting from my drip coffee maker. It didn't seem to matter what kind of coffee I used (and I grind my beans fresh, and have been for months)...I would always end up with nasty, bitter tasting stuff by the second or third cup...and this is with a thermos carafe coffeemaker! So when I read about the AeroPress on Instapundit, I figured at $25 it was worth a try.

The AeroPress makes fantastic coffee, period. It's so good, you may find that it tastes completely different from what you're used to.

Gone is the bitterness. Gone is the sour stomach after the second or third cup, and gone is the wasted coffee from making a full pot but only wanting the first cup (because the rest tasted awful).

The AeroPress is fun and easy to use, and makes a concentrated coffee that can be mixed with hot water or warm milk to your taste. Made your latte too weak? Just add a little more concentrate. Too strong? Add more water or milk. Can't really do that easily with drip-brewed coffee.

I've had this for a couple of weeks now, and I've used it pretty much every single day. It's faster and easier to clean than my drip coffeemaker was, and since there are very few moving parts and no plumbing, I know it's clean when I'm done.

This invention makes the smoothest, most mellow cup of coffee you'll probably ever taste. So save yourself the several hundred bucks on an expensive italian coffeemaker, get this guy and (if you don't have one already) a decent grinder and start making great coffee!