Profile for Ken > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ken RSS Feed (Fairfax County, VA, USA)

Maggi Mousline Puree - French Instant Mashed Potato Mix - Serves 4
Maggi Mousline Puree - French Instant Mashed Potato Mix - Serves 4
Offered by The Frenchy Bee
Price: $6.56
3 used & new from $3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Délicieux, mais il y a juste un problème., February 22, 2014
We were introduced to Mousline during a semester living in France. At the time, the Idahoan Co had not yet made the huge improvement in their instant mashed potatoes. We were astounded that Mousline had none of the artificial taste I always disliked in instant potatoes. We brought a few boxes home and rationed them carefully to prolong our supply.

Having said that, I do not see us ordering Mousline from Amazon.

First, the price is highway robbery. In France, it is just as cheap as one would expect for instant potatoes. Fourteen dollars and ninety-nine cents, plus almost 9 dollars shipping, for 4 servings?!?.

Secondly, Idahoan has improved their product beyond my highest expectations. If you subscribe to Amazon Prime, for just two dollars and sixty-five cents more than the 4 servings of Mousline, you could buy two 3 pound boxes of Idahoan totaling 96 servings.

If we are in France again anytime soon, I'll buy more and enjoy it, but at these prices, I think I'll "buy American" until then.

For Every Child a Better World
For Every Child a Better World
22 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A necessary part of every family library, January 20, 2009
I bought this book in the UN Geneva Bookstore in 2006 and brought it home to my 3 y/o daughter. It became one of her favorites. It presents 2 page tableaux of alternating good and bad life situations (plenty vs. famine, peace vs. war, health vs. sickness) that a child can understand. The images are rich enough that the reader can create detailed back-stories regarding the people and their situation. While there are clues on the "good" pages as to location, the "bad" images are of indeterminate place. My daughters (now 5 with a new 3 y/o) always asks where these bad things happen, and so she is aware at a basic level of the famine in Sudan and the fighting in Gaza.

This book needs to be back in print.

Social Injustice and Public Health
Social Injustice and Public Health
by Barry S. Levy
36 used & new from $0.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Health care inequities laid bare, June 5, 2006
I defy anyone to read this book and look at the US health care system the same way. The statistics on health care disparities is eye-opening and disturbing. We especially look bad when compared to other developed industrial market nations. Highly recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2008 5:31 AM PST

The Cat in the Hat: In English and Spanish (Beginner Books(R)) (Spanish Edition)
by Dr. Seuss
56 used & new from $1.34

1.0 out of 5 stars AWFUL TRANSLATION!!!, February 9, 2005
We first bought "Huevos Verdes con Jamon" an excellent translation of "Green Eggs and Ham." The translator, Aida E. Marcuse, managed to play with the wording to retain the "Seussian" rhyme, rhythm, and whimsy. Based on that, we bought this bilingual edition without inspecting it first--big mistake!

I am an Anglo-American who learned Spanish as an adult, and I could have done this translation. Carlos Rivera's translation looks like he took a English-Spanish dictionary and went through the text line by line, translating each word in turn. The result is clunky, non-rhyming, and completely devoid of the charm so characteristic of Dr. Seuss's works. A child exposed to this book might come to think of Spanish as a dull, clunky language compared to the fun English text. Of course, nothing could be further from the truth. Spanish is much easier to rhyme than English, so this translation makes no sense whatsoever.

My suggestion to Random House: call Aida E. Marcuse and get her to do the same quality translation for "El Gato Ensombrerado" that she did for "Huevos Verdes con Jamon."

Festival Of Acoustic Music, Vol. 1
Festival Of Acoustic Music, Vol. 1
Price: $14.22
36 used & new from $4.38

4.0 out of 5 stars Where's SF Mabel Joy?, September 20, 2004
I wore out my vinyl 2-album set of this concert. "SF Mabel Joy" was my favorite song and "General Guinness" one of my favorite humorous songs. Both got cut. This should have been a 2-CD set to preserve the original. That said, it is still a great recording. I am especially glad that they didn't cut Hoyt Axton's rapping with the audience--priceless, especially now that he's gone.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2014 10:34 AM PST