ARRAY(0xa89daa8c)

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Wayne Ngo RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Nike Premier Home and Away Headband (Obsidian/White, Osfm)
Nike Premier Home and Away Headband (Obsidian/White, Osfm)
Offered by Brathwaite-Mart
Price: $20.00
7 used & new from $20.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Good at First but Wears Out Quickly, March 1, 2014
What I like:
+ Soaks up a lot of my sweat

What I don't like:
- After about 3 weeks' of use, they started wearing out. The threads were coming loose.
- Maybe they are not meant to be machine dried?

Conclusion:
These work great if you don't machine dry them. Try hanging them somewhere to dry or buy a couple of them
for rotation to avoid quick wearing out.

Core Power Natural High-Protein Milk Shake, Chocolate, 11.5-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 12)
Price: $38.28
3 used & new from $35.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great But Expensive. Shake Well., March 1, 2014
What I Like:
+ These are great for when you don't have time to make a proper protein shake from powder.
+ The chocolate taste is smooth .
+ Not having to refrigerate is convenient .
+ 26 grams of protein is higher compared to other protein shakes.

What I didn't like:
- You have to shake these up VERY well since most of the "chocolate" is separated below.
- Expensive. I also use the Gold Standard Whey Protein and find those much cheaper per serving (but of course you have to make your own shake).

iPearl mCover Hard Shell Case with FREE keyboard cover for 15-inch Model A1398 MacBook Pro (with 15.4-inch Retina Display) - BLACK
Offered by iPearl-Inc
Price: $14.98
4 used & new from $14.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Protection From Scratches. Hard to Take Off., March 1, 2014
+ Snapped on easily.
+ The clips are not intrusive. I can't feel them when typing normally.
+ Protects from scratches and minor falls.
+ Came with a keyboard protector too (not every high quality though).
+ Doesn't damage the case when I took it apart.
+ Very secure, doesn't fall off by itself.
+ Thin enough to not make the notebook seem thick.
+ Cooling performance has been great due to the feet that can be raised. Nice touch!

What I don't like:
- I would have preferred a rubbery texture. The current texture is smooth and can slip easily.
- Because it is so secure, this lends the case to be extremely difficult to take off.
- Adds a lot of weight for 2 plastic pieces!

Conclusion:
This is a nice accessory with some minor drawbacks. If you are concerned about scratches then definitely get this. It I got the black version and it adds a nice understated tone. Cooling performance seems to be the same if not better due to the lift in elevation from the feet.

National Brand Brown Board Cover Notebook, Narrow, 1-Subject, Green Paper, 8.25 x 6.875 Inches, 80 Sheets (33004)
Price: $2.49
26 used & new from $1.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Has Served an Engineering Student Very Well, March 1, 2014
Some background:
I am a 3rd year Aerospace engineering student and have found these notebooks extremely advantageous when compared to using traditional notebooks like the Oxford graphing notebook. Here are some pros and cons of the National Brand notebook.

+ Very good price.
+ The paper is pretty heavy and I can write in gel pen and not have it leak through the backside.
+ The papers have an "easy on the eyes" green tint.
+ This particular size is very compact and convenient for me to carry around during lab or on the field.
+ I don't actually use all of the pages at the end of my course. I take notes every class and do homework on a paper pad.
+ These are extremely durable. I've bent and twisted many of these in my backpack but none of the pages have been torn from the spiral spine. The covers of the 2 year old ones have held up extremely well. These pages are tough!
+ Made in the U.S.A.

What I don't like:
- Not much to say here. I guess you have to turn more pages when taking notes since the size is smaller than typical notebooks.

Apple MacBook Pro ME294LL/A 15.4-Inch Laptop with Retina Display (NEWEST VERSION)
Price: $2,489.99
36 used & new from $2,100.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Comparison to the Original Mid 2012 Model, March 1, 2014
Some background:
I own the original mid 2012 Model with 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, and the GT 650M. Being an early adopter, there were some growing pains such as the stuttering of animations when swiping into mission control or scrolling on certain webpages. Apple has provided over the past year with software updates that have improved scrolling and animation performance. However, the real limit were in the graphics (HD 4000 and GT 650M). Now that the new model rocks the Intel Iris Pro and GT 750M graphics, we'll see how this compares.

What I like:
+ screen now covers 99% of sRGB.
+ there is about an hour increase in the battery life due to the Intel Haswell architecture
+ the SSDs are now PCIe based and therefore almost twice as fast as the previous generation.
+ Thunderbolt 2 ports are present instead of Thunderbolt 1
+ Upgraded to wireless AC
+ The Intel Iris Pro performs nearly identical and in some cases better than the dedicated GT 650M under NON-GAMING work loads. A lot more information is available if you search online about Iris Pro vs GT 650M
+ The Intel Iris Pro is significantly better than the Intel HD 4000 while having better energy efficiency than the dedicated GT 750M (thus the 1 hour increase in battery life)
+ Scrolling and other animations are smoother than in the previous generation.
+ Windows 7 and 8 run fine if you install via Boot Camp
+ "$200 price drop" - see below

What I didn't like:
- Apple changed the pricing scheme of the two 15 inch models. In order to get the dedicated GT 750M, you are forced to upgrade to the top model with 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM. Before this, you were able to get dedicated graphics on the entry model so the "$200 price drop" isn't really a great deal after all unless you can live with just the Iris Pro graphics.
- This is unfair to those who are just looking for dedicated graphics in the entry model and are now forced to spend $600 more to get it.
- Iris Pro graphics under-perform in games when compared to the old GT 650M.
- You can't connect to Ethernet without paying $30 for an adapter.
- Case scratches easily. I suggest you invest a cover and a well cushioned carrying case.
- Many review sites label this as a "workstation" laptop but be warned! NEITHER Iris Pro or GT 750M are suitable for professional applications like Solid Works, Auto Cad, Maya, etc.

Conclusion:
-If you are into photography, video editing or want a decent gaming laptop then I'd recommend this model to you.
-If you want dedicated graphics but can't stomach the high price, get the refurbished mid 2012 model - they are being sold at great, low prices.
-If you are a professional looking to run applications like CAD along with video editing software, look elsewhere. Platforms better suited to your needs would be the Dell Precision, HP EliteBook W and, Thinkpad W series.

Logitech G400s Optical Gaming Mouse
Logitech G400s Optical Gaming Mouse
Price: $44.99
62 used & new from $32.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Gaming and General Purpose Mouse for PC/Mac, March 1, 2014
I've owned this mouse for 6 months now and here are my opinions:

What I like:
+ Can track on most surfaces. Tracking on glass is tricky.
+ Has been durable so far. Nothing has broken.
+ Coming from wireless mice, not having to change/charge batteries is great!
+ Very light because it doesn't need to use batteries.
+ DPI settings work on both PC and Mac
+ Has an ergonomic shape and I've had no wrist pains from gaming.

What I don't like:
- Mouse clicks are noisy. However, most Logitech mice are like this. If you want a quiet mouse, you'd have to look somewhere else.
- Back and Forward buttons don't work on Mac OS.

Conclusion:
This is an a great performing mouse and has held up great in the 6 months that I've owned it. Highly recommended.

Dell U2713HM-IPS-LED CVN85 27-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor
Dell U2713HM-IPS-LED CVN85 27-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor
Price: $589.00
50 used & new from $412.08

4.0 out of 5 stars Ordered Twice and Got 2 Buggy Units, February 6, 2014
The first unit I ordered was a A00 model and the screen was flawless except for an issue with it going black at random intervals. I hooked it up to a Macbook Pro Retina through Displayport at the time.

After the first screen went back, the second screen arrived and was also a A00 model but manufactured recently in November 2013 (4 months from the date of purchase). The screen had a slight crosshatching effect on the lower half the screen while viewing anything white. There was also a vertical, red line running down the screen and would only go away if I unpowered the monitor. The second time the red line showed up, I pressed in the middle of the screen and it disappeared. This indicates to me that quality control for the U2713HM is still very poor.

On a positive note, I checked the warranty of this monitor on Dell's website and it was registered for the advertised duration of 3 years.

To summarize:

The A00 models still suffer from quality control issues like intermittent screen black outs, crosshatching and vertical colored lines. However, besides from those issues the monitor is superb when working correctly and the 3 year warranty is valid through Dell. Buy at your own risk and don't hesitate to return it when something goes wrong.

Green Giant Cream Style Corn, 14.75-Ounce (Pack of 8)
Green Giant Cream Style Corn, 14.75-Ounce (Pack of 8)
Offered by Smart Shopping Today
Price: $30.50
4 used & new from $16.80

3.0 out of 5 stars More Like Corn Smoothie, October 17, 2013
I expected whole corn kernels but you can't really see any. It seems as if the corn has been put into a blender and then into the can.

Taste-wise, it's a light take on cream corn without being overly rich; this keeps the calorie content down which I do appreciate.

Otherwise, don't expect it looking like regular corn. It is a canned product after all but I have had better.

CM Storm QuickFire Rapid - Tenkeyless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with CHERRY MX Brown Switches
Offered by antonline
Price: $91.68
29 used & new from $74.99

4.0 out of 5 stars First Mechanical Keyboard, September 22, 2013
Personal background: I've used exclusively membrane keyboards on laptops and desktops in the past
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What I Like:

- Nice, soft touch finish on the top surface of the board

- The keys spring back to position faster than the membrane keyboards I've used

- There is a little tactile "bump" in the middle of a key press and you can type silently if you activate the bump while avoiding pressing the key all the way down

- Keyboard is compact, I don't find myself needing the num pad as much. You probably won't either if you are used to using the number row

- Durable after a month's use of transporting in backpack and is relatively light

- Keys are removable: I can remove certain keys while gaming

- Overall experience with gaming is great. I have also written multiple papers with the keyboard and it has certainly allowed me to type with speed and accuracy

What I Didn't Like

- The notch that the USB cable attaches to is not narrow enough, I find that it detaches easily

- The Windows key is not disabled during gaming: although you can remove it

- Soft touch finish attracts dust easily

- You can get fatigued if you bottom out frequently: See below

Things I Would Like:

- Higher keyboard legs to make a higher angle would be nice: I do feel a little wrist strain after long periods because the front of the keyboard is too high for comfortable typing
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 29, 2013 1:33 PM PDT

Vector Calculus
Vector Calculus
by Jerrold E. Marsden
Price: $150.82
34 used & new from $129.96

2.0 out of 5 stars Insufficient, August 26, 2013
This review is from: Vector Calculus (Hardcover)
I just used this book for a summer Vector Calculus class (it follows after multivariable for my curriculum) and the few example problems did not provide enough guidance for the more complex problems at the end of the chapters. It may be useful if you have already covered the material but for self learning - it is painful to follow. There is another book out there that covers the material better - the Stewart calculus book.

My professor did not like this book; his opinion was that the content covered in the chapters did not correlate to the content covered in the problems at the end - thus echoing my view. He also recommended against buying the solutions manual since it was "worthless". Our class ended up practicing problems from the Stewart book and other sources.

Not recommended.