Profile for Amanda J > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amanda J RSS Feed (Australia)

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi - for international shipment
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi - for international shipment
Price: $89.00
2 used & new from $89.00

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Update to the Kindle., September 18, 2012
My first e-reader was the Kindle Keyboard with 3G, which was eventually mishandled by a friend. As a result, I pre-ordered this Kindle when it was first released. I had looked at the silver model of the same device and at the Kindle Touch while I was trying to decide, but I'm glad that I decided on this one.

. It's a lot smaller than the Kindle Keyboard. This makes it a lot lighter, easier to pack, and easier to hold.
. The buttons on the sides are fantastic. They're more responsive than the Kindle Keyboard, and press in slightly, instead of straight down.
. Despite the lack of physical keyboard or touch keyboard, it's still very easy to take notes and make highlights with this kindle - the five-way controller is very fast and responsive.
. Though this Kindle has had its internal storage reduced by half, it isn't a problem. I've loaded ~300 books onto my Kindle and so far haven't even used 10% of the available storage - nobody will ever read 20,000 books in between charges.
. Battery life seems quite good. After reading for six solid hours, there was no depletion of the battery icon at all.
. The firmware included with this model of the Kindle renders sharper, denser, blacker text and a lighter background. The black bezel also makes the text 'pop' and gives this kindle an edge over devices which are shiny or aren't black.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2013 10:12 AM PDT

Marware Eco-Vue Leather Kindle Folio, Red (Fits Kindle Keyboard)
Marware Eco-Vue Leather Kindle Folio, Red (Fits Kindle Keyboard)
2 used & new from $5.90

4.0 out of 5 stars A Decent Cover, June 24, 2012
I purchased this based on the brilliant reviews of others here on Amazon, having dropped my Kindle and realising that I needed a far more solid, protective case than the neoprene sleeve that I usually keep it in.

- The outside smells richly of leather, and is a deep cherry colour. The stitching is starkly white, rather than the grey colour named in a few reviews. The leather is exceptionally stiff (which I consider a positive for a protective case), and the Marware logo is discreetly branded into the device's upper corner.

- The elastic strap seems very weak. As soon as I put my kindle into the device and pulled the strap (carefully) around the front of the device, I noticed higher-than-desirable strain on the stitching holding the elastic strap into place. I expect that with frequent use, this strap will give way.

- The inside is a deep grey colour which suits the black bezel of the Kindle very well. The inside smells of glue. The stitching on the inside matches the colour of the microfibrous cloth. The 'pocket' is a decent size for a train ticket or credit card, and nothing more.

- The hand pouch is surprisingly comfortable - it doesn't place pressure on the hand at all, and is a good size. Coupled with the elastic strap, it makes the Kindle feel secure without putting any effort into holding it. With some repositioning, the Kindle can be turned one-handed when using the strap, however the spine is quite bulky and it really requires navigating your thumb over the spine in a way which isn't outstandingly comfortable.

- The device itself is held perfectly, which is the main point! It is enclosed totally around the edges, which gaps for all of the buttons, and a stiff, secure flap holds the Kindle in at the top. Even with severe shaking (over the couch cushions!), the Kindle didn't jiggle out of the case.

- There seems to be a glue or binding substance around the edges of the case where it has holes for the device buttons. This substance is uncomfortable and slightly scratchy to the touch, which happens every time the page is turned.

All in all, this seems like a very good case, but I've only given it four stars out of five due to the slight ergonomic issues I've noticed and listed above, and due to the poor quality of the stitching around the elastic strap. One should never feel frightened of breaking their case in the simple act of closing it.

Kindle Keyboard 3G, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display, 3G Works Globally - for international shipment

4.0 out of 5 stars 3rd Generation Kindle is wonderful!, September 2, 2011
I purachsed the third generation Kindle with both Wi-Fi and 3G connectivity, and it is the best purchase I have ever made. I am able to download books anywhere thanks to EDGE roaming and within an hour, I had collected so many of the free books (almost any classic you can think of it free or $0.99!) that, had I bought the paperback versions, I'd have spent over $1,000 on them.

The Kindle has exemplary battery life - I've been reading every day for over an hour for nearly a month now, and I'm yet to run out of battery. There is one flaw: the Kindle is not shipped with a wall charger to overseas customers, and its USB cable is only compatible with USB 2.0 and higher ports. As somebody with USB 1.0 ports in their computer, and a netbook too weak to power the Kindle despite have 2.0 ports, I was disappointed to find that the Kindle is counter-intuitive to charge.

All in all, though, it's a great purchase! I love it and I'm super pleased. :)