Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Mary Carpenter Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer TL256 TL256 TL256  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Browse

Amazon Customer's Profile

Customer Reviews: 94

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer RSS Feed (Atlanta, GA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
ViewHD HDMI Audio Extractor Support Ultra HD | 4K | ARC | MHL | TOSLINK Optical Audio Output + RCA L/R Audio Converter | VHD-H2HARC
Offered by Seven Lakes
Price: $34.95
4 used & new from $25.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A great extractor for LINUX machines, April 7, 2016
I have an EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB FTW Gaming video card EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB FTW GAMING, Silent Cooling Graphics Card 02G-P4-2958-KR which I use for real-time display of the output of a fairly complex analysis system. (1920x1200 display and will be going to a larger 4K monitor soon). But I also wanted to use the card's HDMI sound output - however, the only tricky parts are that I'm running Linux, not windows, and that I have a sound systems which accept 5+1 channel analog input OR fiber optic, but no HDMI.

After some experimentation (and frustration) this extractor box lets me extract a copy the audio stream from the HDMI signal, convert it to an optical digital signal, and feed it to my speaker system. Now my monitor has only a DVI-D connector and so after trying a couple of others (which didn't work properly) I'm using an "HDE Gold Plated High Speed HDMI TO DVI-D 24+1 Adapter Cable" HDE Gold Plated High Speed HDMI TO DVI-D 24+1 Adapter Cable with Braided Fabric Jacket - 5ft which works perfectly either directly (card to monitor) or through the extractor box.

Happily this extractor will handle 4K video and my next monitor (soon) will support 4K so I'm already set for that (or so I hope) and am very happy with it.

The audio was a bit tedious to figure out, and it took several evenings to solve. Now on the web I found LOTS of recommendations on how to get it to work properly with Linux. Not surprisingly many of them are contradictory (I expected that), BUT none of the ones I tried actually worked - or none of them worked for my configuration. (My machine runs Fedora Linux FC23. But I suspect this should work on Ubuntu, Suse, and other Linux distributions.) Now that it's working correctly, I'm really glad that I didn't give up.

HOW TO MAKE IT WORK:

The following steps assume that you have already connected all the cables, powered the extractor box, etc. before beginning.

Steps:

1. Reboot the machine and go into BIOS mode.
2. Disable the on-board audio subsystem.
3. Reboot and let the machine boot Linux.
4. Log in (you should not need to be root to do any of the steps below).
5. If your native mode is text, then start X-windows. (if your machine comes up in graphical mode, then skip this step)
6. Bring up the pulse audio volume control (/usr/bin/pavucontrol).
7. Select the "Configuration" tab. You should see (AT LEAST!) a listing for HDA NVidia.
8. For the profile there will be MANY choices there [I count 11] On this machine, only two are NOT marked "Unplugged"
("Digital Stereo (HDMI 2) Output" and "Digital Surround 5.1 (HDMI 2) Output").
9. Select "Digital Surround 5.1 (HDMI 2) Output."
10. Select the "Output Devices" tab and find the listing for "HDA NVidia Digital Surround 5.1 (HDMI 2).
Note: depending on what else is in your system this may or may not be "(HDMI 2)" -- however,
that's what shows up on may machine. YMMV]
11. Make sure the Port pulldown list shows "HDMI/DisplayPort 2 (plugged in)" If not, then select that choice.
(that may be the only choice available there - not a problem on my machine)
12. Select the "Playback" tab and find the listing for your playback medium. (I my case I'm currently using "xmms" to play a list of MP3 files, so it reads
"ALSA plug-in [xmms]: ALSA P... on 'HDA NVidia Digital Surround 5.1 (HDMI 2)'" where the 'HDA...' is in the "selection" box (I also show other
devices there - a bluetooth headset and bluetooth speakers which are visible but are in use on another machine).
13. The settings on the extractor box:
-- Turn ARC OFF (green light should be off.
-- Set the extractor to 5.1CH.
13. Play your audio source (CD, MP3, etc.) the (pulse audio) volume control will show left and right audio channels if you have a 2-channel source.
(I don't have a DVD with Dolby surround to try right now so I can't say what will show with a multi-channel source... sorry)
Below the last listing you will also see a "volume" bar which acts as a fast decay volume meter like a digital VU meter).
14. At this point (assuming your speakers are connected correctly, turned on, volume not set to 0 or muted) you should be getting the expected
sounds from your speakers.
15. I cannot guarantee that the above procedure will work for every configuration. In my case it works just fine for an older (hence no HDMI input)
Logitech 5+1 speaker system and for a soundbar which also has no HDMI input. If it doesn't work then first go back and make sure that you
have followed the above directions. If you have and it still doesn't work, then try experimenting. (And in that case, please add a note here for
others when you find a working solution - thanks.)

The above procedure worked correctly for me - and I have tried multiple players (VLC, dragon, xine, xmms, kscd, and a few others). The only difference is the label that currently says "ALSA plug-in [xmms]: ... on " will change to match your player, such as "ALSA plug-in [vlc]: ... on", etc.

I have been using this configuration for a couple of days now and I really like the clarity of the sound. The sound on my MB is very good, but this seems a bit clearer and I would buy this extract or and go through all of this again. I have already recommended it to friends who run Linux, and would not hesitate to recommend it to family.

Richland Votive Candles White Unscented 10 Hour Burn Set of 72
Richland Votive Candles White Unscented 10 Hour Burn Set of 72
Offered by Quick Candles
Price: $19.99
6 used & new from $13.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A good price, and the candles do burn a long time., March 30, 2016
A good price, and the candles do burn a long time. (I make decorative candle-centerpieces and these work better than any of the others I have used.)

I will be buying them again when I make the next batch of centerpieces

Conair Yellow Bird
Conair Yellow Bird
Offered by Amazing Prime Value
Price: $43.29
7 used & new from $42.44

5.0 out of 5 stars A great product that does what it's supposed to - recommended., March 30, 2016
My wife "borrowed" my old one to dry something in one of her "crafts" projects, and while it did survive being dropped onto a concrete floor and still ran, it no longer heated. Looking at the heating element, the concussion was too great and the element snapped.

I liked it so much that I simply bought another one of the same model.

Now if I can just keep my family members' figers away from it :-)

It heats well and does everything I need it to - and it has no "gotcha's". And over the years I had dropped it myself onto a bathmat over a tile floor, and none of those falls ever bothered it in the least. So it must be as well-built as it feels.

I have had no problems with it until the above-described incident and I would buy it again a 3rd time if this one gets dropped onto a concrete floor or some such.

Avery Dennison Woodworking Tape, 50 ft x 1.0 in
Avery Dennison Woodworking Tape, 50 ft x 1.0 in
Price: $19.59
2 used & new from $19.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well and does what it's supposed to ..., March 23, 2016
Works great - not for turning but for holding pieces together to use a router with a pattern bit, or to hold an irregularly-shaped cut off piece in place while I put it through a saw, etc.

Does what it says it will and I'll be buying it again.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Using it under Linux (FC23) I like it - Correction: sound works, too, so 5 stars, March 23, 2016
At the moment I have this card in a Linux box running Fedora FC20 - the results were the same under FC23 (had to pull the card to use that box for specific tests which required a different video card).
The graphics are spectacular and I cannot fault them - I 'm doing CPU-heavy 3D projections of n-dimensional bodies shown on a flat (2d ;-) ) LCD screen, and it's part of a larger application. (It's complicated and I won't bore you with the details). I replaced an older EVGA card and the performance is phenomenal. If that were all I wanted it for I'd give it 5 stars in a heartbeat.

I also have speakers whose amp/controller wants an optical fiber for the sound connection, and after talking with someone who says he got it working under Linux, I had wanted to use the HDMI output, feeding it into a splitter and sending the optical output from the splitter to the soundbar.

However after trying 4 different splitters (3 of which passed the optical signals through just fine in case you're curious) not one of them could pull sound from the card. So I tried the card in a friend's windows machine and then tried the same audio setup. That worked perfectly. So initially I concluded that the sound portion is detected but not usable under Linux.

It turned out, however, that I was wrong, and someone emailed me the directions on how to get it working (If you're running Linux you MAY need to disable any on-board sound in your machine before it will work. After doing that and using the Pulseaudio volume control to direct the sound to the "HDA NVidia Digital Surround 5.1 (HDMI)" outputs it should work for you. If it doesn't, then do a search on this card AND Linux AND pulseaudio - there will be several different pages explaining how to do it.

I'd still buy the card again and/or recommend it to friends (and have already done so).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2016 12:03 PM PDT

Scotch Brite Heavy Duty Industrial Size Scouring Pads (20 pack)
Scotch Brite Heavy Duty Industrial Size Scouring Pads (20 pack)
Offered by ShippedFast
Price: $12.39
13 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful in woodworking and for maintaining a woodworking shop, March 17, 2016
I use these in finishing woodworking projects (not one of their intended uses I imagine), and they work very well. They work better than cloths for wiping off sawdust, etc., and I also sometimes use them instead of 600# sandpaper in finishing ultira-high-gloss finishes.

A couple of years ago a long-term friend with about 70 years of woodworking experience suggested these to me, and he was right.
They are EXCELLENT for this purpose (and they are also great when you're cleaning rust of a cast-iron table top like a table- or band-saw or a jointer -- I use a rubber wheel and an electric drill (with the WD40 rust remover -- <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083V8JP6?keywords=WD%2040%20rust%20remover&qid=1458239328&ref_=sr_1_cc_1&s=aps&sr=1-1-catcorr> spray bottle or <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083V8JP6?keywords=WD%2040%20rust%20remover&qid=1458239328&ref_=sr_1_cc_1&s=aps&sr=1-1-catcorr) for the 1-gallon bottle) and it works VERY well without leaving any obvious scratched places on the table as would a wire brush or sand-paper.

I have recommended these to other woodworkers and will continue to do so.

Optical Quantum OQBDRDL06LT-25 6X 50 GB BD-R DL Blu-Ray Double Layer Recordable Logo Top 25-Disc Spindle
Price: $45.00
9 used & new from $45.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Good BD recordable for the money, March 17, 2016
They work very well and after 20+ burns I haven't made a coaster so far.

I'm using these for critical backups, and I'll continue using these until the 100GB bd's drop SIGNIFICANTLY in cost

Healthy Baker Lawn Protection Biscuits  -  Wholesome and Delicious Treats for Dogs, 2 lbs.
Healthy Baker Lawn Protection Biscuits - Wholesome and Delicious Treats for Dogs, 2 lbs.
Price: $19.99
3 used & new from $18.37

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work well with no unwanted side effects so far., March 17, 2016
I have two Oorang (giant) Airdales with a combined weight of about 240 lbs. They did a number on my grass previously, but about a year ago I started using these, and the problem has gone away. I am always nervous when I give them anything which alters their body chemistry, and this does change the pH of their urine. Consequently my vet keeps an eye on the possibility of UTI's and other possible side effects.

They love these by the way and enjoy eating them like "treats." If I didn't feel that I have to watch out for possible side effects, I'd give this one 5 stars.

But so far these work well and I'll keep buying them until and unless that changes.

I have recommended these to other Airedale (and even dog :-) ) owners, and will continue to do wo.

Speedball Plastic Frame Hard Rubber Brayer with Pop-In Roller, 4 in
Speedball Plastic Frame Hard Rubber Brayer with Pop-In Roller, 4 in
Offered by 88 Market Street
Price: $8.27
9 used & new from $2.78

5.0 out of 5 stars A great glue-spreader for woodworking, March 17, 2016
I *think* that most people probably use this for ink or something related to printing. I don't.

However, it works fine - I am using it to spread glue on woodworking projects.

One of the nice "extra" features is that additional rollers are available with different surfaces (useful for other things relative to woodworking.

It replaces a much less useful similar tool and I would buy it again, recommend it to other woodworkers, etc.

J-Tech Digital ® Premium Quality 1080P HDMI To HDMI + Audio (SPDIF + RCA Stereo) Audio Extractor Converter (Support Apple TV 4 Gen)
Offered by J-Tech Digital, Inc
Price: $29.99
4 used & new from $28.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work with a Linux machine, March 17, 2016
I purchased this unit in order to use a speaker system which requires an optical link with a Linux machine. Note that this review does NOT apply to you if you're using any other configuration, operating system, etc.

The system works fine using an HDMI cable from the computer to the monitor. However, introducing this device into the chain causes a major problem. Luckily I normally boot the system in text mode (240 cols/75 rows - very useful for SA work), and with the box in the circuit, they system boots just fine and the video is crystal clear. That part is fine, and according to stats I see on the machine, the audio is available then.

However when I try to boot to a GUI mode (using Xorg - X11) some of the VIDEO signals get diverted, and the system never comes up. (Running diagnostics and tracing, the signal is there with the box NOT in the circuit, but it disappears when the box IS in the circuit.)

So it is NOT usable on a Linux machine IF (99% probability) you want to run a GUI.

Other than the above it seems to be well built and is unexpectedly well "finished". I expect that it would probably work well on a Windows machine (that being the most common PC O/S), but as I am a systems architect working on more complex systems, I have no use for windows so I don't have a windows box with which to test it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10