Profile for C. Douglas > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

C. Douglas RSS Feed (Chicago, IL)

Google Nexus 6 (32GB, Midnight Blue)
Google Nexus 6 (32GB, Midnight Blue)
Offered by WE CAN (No tax anywhere)
Price: $749.00
39 used & new from $550.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but not great phone, returned mine yesterday, December 24, 2014
This review is about the Nexus 6 phone but as a side comment, you would be crazy to pay more than retail price for it - seriously, $999?!

The good - large display, amazingly fast processor, good dual front facing speakers and Lollipop is a huge improvement, looks beautiful and is so much more productive, intuitive and nice to look at.

The bad - large and clunky (which may be a positive for you, but it was too large for my hands and not comfortable even two-handed), the OS is not optimized to use the larger screen so no dual pane email or other tablet like features that would come in handy on such a large screen. For such a high pixel density screen, I was underwhelmed. The color temperature is very, very yellowish and screen brightness lags almost every other flagship phone, whether Android or iPhone. The colors were oddly saturated as well, even beyond what you would normally see in an AMOLED screen.

I'm not an iPhone fanboy, having owned and loved, the Nexus 4, Nexus 3, and even Windows Phones, but the iPhone 6, 6+ for me, is a far better device since the screen brightness is miles above the N6 and the color temperature is crisp and white. Compare the two side by side using the web browsers and you'll see what I mean.

The iPhone fit and finish is much better and the aluminum body feels much higher quality although the N6 isn't bad, it just isn't worth the price. If the N6 were still priced as competitively as the N5 was, I probably would have kept it, but paying premium prices, I expect an all around premium phone and for me, this wasn't it so I returned mine yesterday.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2015 7:43 PM PST

Hard Choices
Hard Choices
by Hillary Rodham Clinton
Price: $20.91
303 used & new from $0.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous insights into one of the world's most powerful women, June 10, 2014
This review is from: Hard Choices (Hardcover)
Hillary's latest book was captivating and gave us a peek into the daily life of one of the world's most powerful some leaders during some incredibly chaotic times. As always, she handled crises and issues with facts, logic and her deep experience. Highly recommend, I will be purchasing this for family and friends too!

Levi's Men's 514 Straight Jean, Stavros, 30x30
Levi's Men's 514 Straight Jean, Stavros, 30x30

1.0 out of 5 stars Last purchase of Levis, October 8, 2012
Levi's used to make great, American-made products. The denim jeans were practically indestructible and after the initial shrinkage, for perfectly for years, sometimes decades.

Unfortunately, this is no longer true. The jeans are now made in China or southeastern Asia countries out of much cheaper quality denim and while they look, and fit great when you first receive them, expect that even "pre-shrunk" styles will continue to shrink. And shink. And shrink some more.

I wear 29X30 in everything and have for years and it remains my size in almost every brand of clothing. I purchased this pair of Levi's in 30x30 because the pair I had just purchased a size smaller had shrunk so much that I could barely pull them on and they were up to my ankles. At first, the 30's were a little too large, but after several washings, shrunk enough to fit well. I should note that I don't dry them in the dryer, I hang them up to dry because I know how badly they shrink. After a couple of months though, they have shrink several inches and are now too tight (I haven't gained weight, I've checked to make sure it wasn't me). I have even tried 31 waist and they too have shrunk several inches.

This is about the third pair of new Levi's I've had to donate to Goodwill in a year because the quality is so poor and shrinkage so great that they become unwearable. Save your money and buy another brand.

Go! Dry Dog Food, Natural Chicken, Fruit and Vegetable Formula, 8-Ounce Bag
Go! Dry Dog Food, Natural Chicken, Fruit and Vegetable Formula, 8-Ounce Bag

1.0 out of 5 stars Arrived spolied, rancid, September 6, 2012
I often order Go Dog Food from Amazon, but lately the stock options for Prime are very limited and the 1lb bags were all that were in stock so I ordered them. Unfortunately, there is something wrong with the food, it is rancid or spoiled and my dogs wouldn't first touch it until I encouraged them to eat it and then both promptly got sick and threw up and had diarrhea and won't go near it now. They have eaten this food for years, so it isn't due to a change of diet.

Quicken Essentials for Mac [Old Version]
Quicken Essentials for Mac [Old Version]
Offered by durabest
Price: $49.99
3 used & new from $44.96

1.0 out of 5 stars One star because zero isn't an option, February 19, 2011
Total, complete, utter crap. Very little functionality, can't connect to many banks, budget is so simple an elementary school child could do as well, no investment accounts, a crappy interface, the list goes on. Intuit took three years to develop this, I can only guess at what they were smoking while doing so. I created a spreadsheet in Excel that has more functionality to create and track a budget.

SONOS BRIDGE for Sonos Wireless Network
SONOS BRIDGE for Sonos Wireless Network
Price: $42.99
44 used & new from $14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent purchase, could not be happier, November 10, 2009
I have debated buying the Sonos system for several months mostly due to price and also in part wondering if it could truly live up to the claims and reviews. I am fairly technical and am usually an early adopter, although have at times, been disappointed with other purchases not working quite as well as advertised. I am thrilled with all aspects of my Sonos purchase and cannot believe how easy it was to set up and the sound quality. I received it about an hour ago, and in minutes, had the Zone Bridge connected to my router (since the router is kept hidden in a closet out of sight) and then the S5 ZonePlayer set up in my living room. I can now stream my iTunes Library from a Time Capsule (NAS) and listen to streaming music from Pandora, Last.fm, Sirius and more. Plus, as a transplanted Minnesotan in New York, I can save my favorite local stations from MN and listen to them here as if I were at home. The music is flawless, crystal clear and I would never know it is from the internet- no stutters, gaps or delay. This is one product that has surpassed my expectations completely. The only downside I can see will be now wanting to buy another S5 for my bedroom.

SONOS PLAY:5 Wireless Speaker for Streaming Music (White)
SONOS PLAY:5 Wireless Speaker for Streaming Music (White)
Price: $399.00
31 used & new from $315.00

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best purchases I have ever made, November 10, 2009
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2009 9:51 AM PST