Profile for B. A. Morehouse > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

B. A. Morehouse RSS Feed

Samsung UN46EH6000 46-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV (Black) (2012 Model)
Samsung UN46EH6000 46-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV (Black) (2012 Model)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent "Basic" Television, March 10, 2012
It is telling when you have to describe televisions as "basic" or "smart" - just like cellular devices.

The EH6000 is a "basic" television that, simply, fits a need. It is a television that doesn't pretend to be anything else. I don't really need it to be anything else, either. It certainly is my television, but I mostly use it as a monitor for my PC and consoles. It does a wonderful job for what I need it for, and that's the key. My consoles and PC do everything I'd want a "smart" television for anyway. I also have no need or desire for 3D. At this point in time, there are few panels that give the true theater experience, and they are all well outside of my price range.

The picture is nice and sharp. Out of the box, it was set to "dynamic" color mode which I found so bright it washed out the picture. I set it to "standard" color mode, and it fits my environment just fine. If I upgrade from my yellow light bulbs to white, I may change my color settings. I haven't tried the "game" color mode yet; though, "standard" seems to work fine for the range of games I've tried on Steam, Origin, and my consoles.

It took some trial and error to find the right fit for my PC's graphics settings, but I expected as much. However, I was pleased once everything was set up and running. I was immediately impressed with the LED back-lighting. It is, by far, superior to standard LCD panels. I never realized just how dim my previous television, also a Samsung, was until I turned down the brightness settings in ALL my games. The environments really pop, and they don't feel over-saturated with "forced" brightness.

I didn't see it in the description at the time, but I was pleasantly pleased to see the audio outputs on the back. Yes, I used plural. It has optical, which I was expecting, and analog three-conductor phone (aka: headphone, stereo eighth-inch). I wish it was analog stereo phono (aka: RCA) instead, but I can live with it.

With all this praise, one might think there were no drawbacks to reduce the overall star rating. Sadly, Samsung left one, glaring omission. It's not enough to return the television and shell out extra cash for a higher-end Samsung, but it is something to complain about. It only has 2 HDMI ports. Yes, it is in the description. I realized what I was buying when I purchased the television, but I really wish Samsung had included more HDMI ports. All of their 3D televisions that I looked at had 4 HDMI ports. Why? Why? Why?! Most consumers have more than two HDMI devices, and switches can cause a degradation in signal quality.

Oh also, the product description states the EH6000 has one component and one composite input. The statement is a bit misleading. There is one component/composite input. That's right. You can use it as EITHER component or composite. It doesn't bother me, but other buyers may wish to be made aware.

As a note, I have no way of testing the tuner. I live outside of off-the-air broadcast range, so there is no way, at this time, to properly test this function. In the past however, Samsung has built in excellent over-the-air tuners.
Comment Comments (26) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 18, 2012 6:15 AM PST

Ear Force X41 (XBOX LIVE Chat + Wireless Digital RF Game Audio with Dolby Headphone 7.1 Surround Sound)
Offered by Fat Owls
Price: $129.95
39 used & new from $43.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a Look, March 10, 2012
Turtle Beach delivers an excellent gaming experience with the Ear Force x41 digital wireless headphones. I took off a single star for a few cons to be discussed, but, overall, the package lives up to expectations. Though these headphones obviously won't blow away audiophiles, they offer enough clarity and separation to hear the entire range of action, from BGM to voice. It also offers a decent 10m range, so it works perfect in a basic entertainment setup. The base also sends the digitally processed signal through the analog out, a nice bonus.

There are a few "however"s to point out.

The sound is fairly plush, but it is weak on highs and lows. The headphones won't blow anybody away with bass, and the highs are easily distorted. The 10m range also means you might have to play around with your setup. Mine is fine for now, but I'll have to move things around to position the base just right. If you get beyond the 'happy' communication range, you will notice some nasty hissing and pops. If something interrupts the signal, you will notice hissing and pops. Also important to note, batteries pay a huge roll in maintaining quality of audio reception. If you use poor/low-quality batteries or allow the batteries to run low, the frequency of the hiss and occurrence of pops increases.

My biggest complaint is the included optical cable. It is cheap, far too flexible, and about as thin as uncooked spaghetti. You will want to buy a better quality optical cable. You want an optical cable with some flexibility, but it needs to be stiff enough to protect the delicate glass tube. If the glass breaks, you can kiss the signal goodbye.

Also, audio pass through for the win! Turtle Beach understands that gamers sometimes want to enjoy a game with friends and/or family without disturbing everybody around them. With the pass through, anybody playing along side you gets to enjoy the x41's digital processing without any fuss. Also, you can hook up some analog wireless headphones if you, say, want to pull up your preferred music player and listen from 30m* away.

*30m range for analog wireless headphones based on average 900MHz

Replacement Driver Side Headlight Assembly
Replacement Driver Side Headlight Assembly
Offered by Auto Lights & Bulbs
Price: $46.65
4 used & new from $46.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Improvement, September 30, 2010
I replaced an old assembly that was beyond salvation. This assembly gives a wide dispersal to the headlamp beam, which allows for wide viewing angles. With the new assembly and its advantages, I can see further down the highway than previously, and it's already saved me from a herd of deer. Frustrating little things...

iPod Touch 4 4th Gen skin case MiniSuit case for iPod Touch 4th Generation, 4th Gen + MiniSuit Microfiber Key Chain screen protector (7 Color Options)
Offered by MiniSuit
Price: $3.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than reviews indicate, September 30, 2010
This case is just fine. It fits as well as any silicon case will. For reference, I do not buy silicone cases! I prefer hard, plastic or tough, rubber/leather cases. At this point in time, nothing of my durability standards is on the market.

That said, I did not write a review until I recieved my iPod touch 4g the other day. I do have complaints, but they are mainly because I dislike silicone cases to begin with. The bottom right under the home button is very loose, but that's to be expected. That particular spot is thin, and it doesn't have the support a hard case would.

Other than that, I can slide it into my jeans pockets just fine. The case is non-slip, so it stays firmly in my hand instead of sliding right out naked. That in and of itself is a big plus. It snuggly wraps around, so, sometimes, pulling at the sides will mean readjusting the case. Why would you pull at the sides, though?

Anyway, the microfiber, er, fob thing is just meh. It's nothing compared to my microfiber bell or cleaning cloth, and my bell is just as portable.

The screen protector is my biggest gripe. It is very easy to put on, and it does an excellent job reducing glare and, interestingly, clearing up the display. Where's my problem? It is the biggest fingerprint magnet I have every seen. It holds grease and does NOT want to let go. Granted, the glare reduction means you won't see the greasy buildup when you're looking straight at it. A microfiber cloth alone won't clean the grease off, not effectively at least. You have to use the proper LCD cleaning solution, or it'll just be a pain.