Profile for Delaney > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 738

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Delaney RSS Feed
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
OATrageous Oatmeals: Delicious & Surprising Plant-Based Dishes From This Humble, Heart-Healthy Grain
by Kathy Hester
Price: $13.32
56 used & new from $11.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! Delicious! Some you slap your face and say why didn't I think of that. Others are more revolutionary., October 8, 2014
Brilliant!

I only got this book yesterday and it was perfect timing for a sunny, yet windy fall day. My husband came home late and made a bowl of peanut butter pie oatmeal. I needed to make something warm and savory before running kids off to different events and made the steel cut oat bean chili. (all ingredients we had on hand). The kids really liked the chili. (they are 12, 13, and 14)

My son smelled my husband's oatmeal when he got home from his C.A.P. meeting and asked for a bowl of oatmeal so we tried the Pumpkin Coffee Cake Oatmeal. And I like a shake in the morning so I made the Carrot Cake Smoothie - ummm it was awesome.

The book takes the simple, understated, ultra versatile Oat and puts in desserts, snacks, drinks, breads, savory dishes, and there are puppy biscuit recipes, a scrub, a kitty treat. (We have a house full of animals!) I love oatmeal, it is good for your body, it is inexpensive, and it makes a nutritious meal stretch a bit.

There instructions are clear. A lot of them include stovetop and slow cooker methods if applicable. There are pictures of some of the dishes, but not all. The ingredients are not unavailable or unusual if you are already eating a vegetarian or vegan diet. In fact if you are a meat eating family looking for creative ways to occasionally abstain from meat...this is a non threatening way to jump in.

The Undertaking
The Undertaking
by Audrey Magee
Price: $18.63
56 used & new from $9.51

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story. Fascinating read. Sometimes hard to bare., October 8, 2014
This review is from: The Undertaking (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I enjoy a book that presents a different perspective. This most certainly does that. Word of warning, sometimes the book is difficult to read because the subject matter is dark and depraved.

Boy sees a picture of a girl and wants ten days off the front lines. Girl agrees to marry boy because if he dies she will get widow pay. They are both married at the same time in different places. When the couple meets there is a lot more passion then they anticipated. While the groom is on his honeymoon he spends some of his time rooting out Jews beating them with the butt of his gun, kicking them, wishing them to go faster so he can be at home with his bride.

Katherina vows to wait for Peter.

Katherina's father is the protege for a powerful Nazi doctor and if the family plays their cards right they can advance in the party. The home her family moves into is one that was vacated by the Jews who were detained, Jews could only leave with one suitcase so the home is full of furniture, clothing, decorations...a grand piano.

The tone of the book is such a distant and cold narrative that you feel contempt for Peter and Katherina, it's hard to describe, narrated as if they lack moral conscious and it keeps their victims at arms length. You become part of the corruption.

When Peter and his fellow soldiers are advancing on Stalingrad you become part of the raw, honest, ravaging they are part of. (if you know your history, you know it isn't pretty)

The love between Peter and Katherina is real and as a reader you are unsympathetic to them as people, but a part of me was sympathetic to them as lovers.

This is a quick read. Dark. You really want to discuss what you are reading, but this is not for the novel for the reader who likes happy stories wrapped up in bows.

Bose SoundTrue In-Ear Headphones for Samsung Galaxy Models, Black
Bose SoundTrue In-Ear Headphones for Samsung Galaxy Models, Black
Price: $129.95
6 used & new from $129.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sound. A treasure for your senses., October 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have never apparently loved myself enough to get good headphones. The sound is amazing. The sound is amazing. (Sorry, I felt it needed repeating).

These sit perfectly inside your outer ear, resting so that there is somehow, miraculously no weight or pressure on the ear. The ear bud is just outside the canal part so it is not auctioning into your ear. I have ridicously small ears, like child sized, and there are three different size rubber ear resty thingies included. The small size fit my ear like it was made for my ear. (These are so comfortable it is crazy to be this in love with headphones).

The earphone jack is a straight plug. That might be necessary information for someone.

The remote control will only work with the Samsung, but of course the headphones work on a number of devices (like my ipod 4).

The very first thing I listened to was Mozart's Requiem...it was just stunning to hear it so clearly and to hear every note. I simply don't have all the right words to describe how utterly beautiful it was. But if you love music, if you love beautiful music, be nice to yourself and get these.

Mega Bloks Call of Duty Zombies Tranzit
Mega Bloks Call of Duty Zombies Tranzit
Price: $23.99
119 used & new from $18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to build, fun, and there are zombies, October 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My son, like every kid his age, is zombie crazy. My son also likes to construct things. (he is 12). The directions are easy to follow, like most construction sets, you get a colored picture of the pieces needed for each step along with the number of pieces needed. The location of the pieces is easy to determine with color coded dots on the placement pieces.

The zombie dudes, look fairly realistic, as far as zombies go. This is a pretty fun set, timely for the interest level kids have in zombies.

Laura Ashley Flannel Sheet Set, Jayden Sage, Queen
Laura Ashley Flannel Sheet Set, Jayden Sage, Queen
Price: $64.70
3 used & new from $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars So incredibly soft. They will fit any thickness of queen mattress., September 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Ohhhh, so soft. These are so soft. Soft, like I don't want to leave my bed soft, and I can't wait to jump into bed soft. The fitted sheet is 'guaranteed' to fit your mattress. I believe this to be true, my mattress is moderately deep, and there was enough extra pocket to tuck cover the corner and tuck it under. The sheet is super über long. So if your mattress is normal length you have way more than enough sheet to tuck into your mattress and when you get up in the morning the sheet is still firmly tucked. I'm not sure why this is such an issue with department store sheets. Pillow cases fit standard pillows. (I usually use a satin pillow case for my hair, my husband told me the case stays put and remains soft all night.)

Again, these are very soft. The color is a lovely pale green that incidentally matches my bedroom. After washing they remain deliciously soft. Sometimes when you watch flannel sheets they become a little less flannel sheet like and more scratchy blanket flannel. These stayed soft, no pilling, no shrinking.

Love them!

Hall of Small Mammals: Stories
Hall of Small Mammals: Stories
by Thomas Pierce
Price: $20.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual, engaging, and self satisfying, September 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Enjoyable, unusual, but unsatisfying? I am not a fan of stories being wrapped up in little bows at the end, but these stories just end. Read it again and again, but the stories just end. If your mind is creative end the story yourself in the style of the Mysteries of Harris Burdick, if you lack imagination remain unsatisfied. The stories are engaging and unusual. (I will also admit I bought the book based on the cover and the promise of short stories)

I actually liked the story about the gal who dreamed she was married. I can't explain why but it sparked in my mind a whirlwind of great ideas. It kept my mind happily occupied for days before returning for more stories. I don't think you should approach these stories to get answers from the author, I think you should approach these stories as interesting reads and creative thinking helpers. (I could be totally wrong on that, but I would still prefer to read these stories and add my own ideas).

Charmin Plus The Scent Of Chamomile 48 Double Rolls
Charmin Plus The Scent Of Chamomile 48 Double Rolls

4.0 out of 5 stars Scented toilet roll, who woulda thunk it, September 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I thought scented rolls of toilet paper sounded odd. Thing is, when I opened the package I thought what a really nice scent. Putting the rolls in the cabinet and later opening it, I thought, yet again, that smells really good.

My bathroom is really tiny. So the scented roll definitely filled the bathroom. It wasn't over powering, it was pleasant and soft.

The only downfall is that I can't reuse the rolls for the guinea pigs. I assume they are chemically treated.

Ware ManufaCounturing SWM01920 Living Room Series Guinea Pig Home
Ware ManufaCounturing SWM01920 Living Room Series Guinea Pig Home
Price: $96.39
5 used & new from $86.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Our pig loves it. Perhaps they changed the pans?, September 6, 2014
I'm wondering if they changed the base because ours is thick and sturdy. The top has an opening. The front of the cage opens simply. The shelf is awesome, the slide is great.

We have two piggies. One (Shark) is fairly small and extremely athletic. The other (Batman) is a wee bit larger and more of a slow mover. The base on this cage is a little bit smaller than Batman's cage, but it is far deeper. In Shark's cage the living room cage we have the shelf and slide a litter box and one very large tube for crawling in and out of. Shark loves running up his slide and visiting from the shelf.

Shark does on occasion flip food out of his cage, but he does that from the second story. The bedding does not get kicked out. The slide does end in the litter pan, but oddly enough Shark runs down and does his business in the litter pan, runs through his tube and plays ball under his shelf.

Love Me, Feed Me: Sharing with Your Dog the Everyday Good Food You Cook and Enjoy
by Judith Jones
Price: $18.71

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it. Thanks for the confidence to feed my dogs., September 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love it. I just love it. I don't like nearly as many people as I do animals, but people who love their animals, I like them. This is a quaint read. And I do mean read. From Judith Jones love of her Mabon and all the dogs before him, she tells you stories about why they were special to her. And if you love animals you really never get tired of hearing/ reading/ seeing stories about people loving their pets and those pets unique personalities. Listening to the peaceful world of Jones cooking for her beloved pet warms my heart. And the recipes are charming and things I probably wouldn't think of first.

I do think it is fair to tell you I have two dogs. A rescue named Jack and a little Cairn named Phelan. I lost our lady of the pack earlier this year and it has left a terrible hole the size of her paw print on my heart. About two weeks ago my Jack began to have seizures. This emotionally drained me until all the big causes were ruled out. My Veternarian said based on his breed and no other causes found he had epilepsy. (Jack is a westie/ schnauzer mix, a wauzer). I was recently on anti seizure medication myself, I'm a human, and for four years I felt like, well I didn't feel like myself. I was tired, listless, grumpy, depressed, out of body, out of head. I hated the way I felt. I can't imagine that the doggie anti seizure medication is any better. So I asked a few veternarians I know about a dietary change. I was given some very enthusiastic thumbs up that he needed more omega 3s, healthy carbs, higher protein. I was scared to take the plunge, because I didn't want to screw it up. I only have one Jack.

So finding this book, reminded me of exactly why I wanted to cook for my boys. They bring me immense joy. I love them. Their lives are short enough, why not make it an enjoyable life, filled with fun, good food and lots of love. I'm not nearly as gourmet as Ms. jones, but I I enjoyed her ideas. Her stories. Her dogs. Her friends.

The first day I cooked for Jack and Phelan I was really happy doing it. (we also have two guinea pigs that the kids like to make 'salads' for, and that's fun. I love making big dinner's for my family.) And it was as if Jack and Phelan knew that this food cooking was for them. (my family recently gave up meat) After the first meal of ground turkey, potatoes and carrots cooked I let it cool on the counter. I divided up my precious dogs meals and set their bowls down. Jack picked out all of the vegetables, eating the meat first and then the vegetables. Phelan dived head first into his bowl and only come up for air. At this point, I was hooked. Their little faces were filled with adoration for me because I gave them good food. That night while our family ate both dogs laid quietly in their beds, contented.

My first meal that I tried from Love Me, Feed Me, was the Soba Noodles with smoked Salmon and Zucchini. (our family still eats fish) We loved it, all of the members of that we, 3 kids, 2 grownups, and 2 lovely canines. Next on our agenda is the Stuffed Butternut Squash.

Thank you, for giving me the confidence to feed for my dogs. I love them very much. And I feel better about changing Jack's diet rather than giving him medication that I know myself can be very uncomfortable. I am very hopeful that the lifestyle change will help out my best friend.

Portamate PM-3300T Saw Horse, Pair of 2 Folding 33 Inch Height, All Metal Durable Construction
Price: $99.99
6 used & new from $78.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sturdy. Really compact, August 31, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Basic. Extremely tough. Very sturdy. Really compact.

This folds down to be slightly larger than a 2x4. It folds down small, easy to store, move and cart around.

These are heavy duty. You shouldn't have to replace them. The legs fold out easily to create a very sturdy work surface. We were using very large particle board on these to be cut and spray painted. (Treehouse)

Excellent I really like them. The plastic fold up ones are not always sturdy. The homemade ones are sturdy but don't fold up and go with you. These are so simple they are awesome.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20