Profile for Stefan Georgiev > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 20

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Stefan Georgiev RSS Feed (Philadelphia, PA USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Salomon Men's Toundra Mid WP Snow Boot,Black,10.5 M US
Salomon Men's Toundra Mid WP Snow Boot,Black,10.5 M US
Offered by Reliable Values
Price: $133.26
6 used & new from $43.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing boots!, January 28, 2015
Amazing boots!
I bought them just before my trip to Canadian Rockies, and I was wondering why I may ever need boots to hold up to -40C/-40F.
Well, when the thermometer in the car showed -34C and with the wind chill it went to about -40C I realized how good these boots are.
My feet were perfectly warm. The boots are comfortable, big enough and wide enough. Built like a tank.
I highly recommend Salomon Tundra boots!

SHARKK® Android Smartphone 4G Unlocked GSM Phone 5 Display Dual SIM Quad Core Cell powered by POSH

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed!, September 6, 2014
I am very impressed by this product and also by the company that sells it.
The phone has the latest (at this moment) version of Android OS. I bought two of these devices for my parents and I'm using one to test and learn it, while I'm on my vacation.
So far I don't have any troubles. The signal is great, the phone is responsive and fast.
For this price level - I don't have any complains.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 15, 2014 12:55 AM PDT

Smallrig® Single Rod Clamp 15mm Rail Connector Adapter w/ Four 1/4"-20 Threads for 15mm Dslr Rig, Wingnut Black - 843
Offered by SmallRig
Price: $9.90

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks solid, feels solid, but..., May 16, 2013
...simply can't tighten strong enough to the rod.
I tried to attach articulated arm on it, but it just fells down.
It does feel solid, but can't get a good grip.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars If 23mm (35mm) is your length, then this is your camera!, March 28, 2013
the camera is really good.
You may read all the positive stuff all over the internet.
I'll tell you what I don't like. It will be more useful to know.
The camera AF:
It's fast, but not great. It still hunts, especially in low light and even in daylight when try to focus at close objects. This could be frustrating sometimes, but so far it's not something I can't live with.
Real time exposure:
the screen and the LCD don't show changes in the exposure in real time. you have to half-press the shutter to see how dark or light the scene will be. For example on NEX-7 the lcd/viewfinder changes in real time when you change aperture/speed/iso.
Filters:
I don't like the fact that you have to use the adapter in order to put a simple uv filter. And the lens extends quite, loosing the initial idea of small lens.How hard would be to make it possible to screw the filter directly on the lens?????
External Mic:
It does have an option to use external mic, however - good luck finding the adapter, as Fuji doesn't have the standard small jack input.
And my biggest bug - the single 23mm lens. Yes, it's my favorite length - if I had to choose only one, that would be it, but I would prefer if it had similar to x20 lens.
Besides those "negatives" the camera is amazing!
Highly recommend it and I'm giving it 4 stars.

Added:
The jpg are quite smudged - yes they look very sharp, but have somehow water painting look. I believe they tried to clean some noise and then apply sharpening on top.
The effect is not so visible when not look at 100%.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 3, 2013 6:57 PM PDT

Yasuhara Nanoha Macro 5:1 Lens for Sony E Mount (NEX), 4x to 5x Magnification
Yasuhara Nanoha Macro 5:1 Lens for Sony E Mount (NEX), 4x to 5x Magnification
Offered by Mel Pierce Camera
Price: $499.99
2 used & new from $499.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the micro world!, March 14, 2013
It's a very crazy lens (in good sense) if you know what you're doing with it.
The lens is very well built, has USB light.
It's very sharp with almost no diffraction. The DOF is very shallow and if you don't have experience it will be tricky in the beginning.
Stacking software is highly recommended. The manufacturer recommends Zerene Stacker.
Overall it is very hi quality super micro (5:1) lens.

Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR FX Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR FX Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Price: Click here to see our price
72 used & new from $166.51

4.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed., March 12, 2013
I had the 1.4G version before, which I sold, because 50mm on full frame is not "my length". I liked it on my APS-C sensor cameras, but on FF I prefer 35mm, 60mm and 85mm.
I was following all reviews, tests and comparisons between the 1.4G and this 1.8G lenses. As most of the reviewers agree this is a little bit sharper and focuses a bit faster. So I bought it.
My first impressions are that it is very soft from f/1.8 to f/4. I ordered a second lens from different place to compare, but it was even worse.
I bought lens align tool (note, that I bought it for this little 50mm lens, and not for any of my previous lenses - 24mm 1.4; 60mm 2.8; 85mm 1.4; 105mm 2.8, zooms, etc.)
After long testing i figured out that with the camera fine tuned at +17 it gives me better results, as the "good" end dropped to f/2.8 instead of f/4.
At f/4 this lens is extremely sharp. But it is so with lenses as 24-70mm and 24-120mm.
Another thing is that this lens focuses very slow. The 60mm 2.8 is a several times faster than this one.
Overall I will keep it, just in case I need something wide open, and for the price of $196 - you can't complain too much. :-)

Nikon 85mm f/1.4G AF-S Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR
Nikon 85mm f/1.4G AF-S Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR
Price: $1,696.95
19 used & new from $1,325.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply breathtaking!, January 24, 2013
Amazing lens!
Sharp, sharp, sharp!
Excellent bokeh. I don't want to describe everything in details, as many people here already did.
I will just confirm that everything good said for this lens is 100% true!
I've tested the new 85mm 1.8 and it is as sharp as this one, but there are some things, like CA where this 1.4 version excels!

Nikon D800 36.3 MP CMOS FX-Format Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (OLD MODEL)
Nikon D800 36.3 MP CMOS FX-Format Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (OLD MODEL)
54 used & new from $1,400.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, astonishing details!! ...updated, April 16, 2012
You all know what the specs of this camera are. I won't lose your time with that. I have the camera for about 20 days and here are my impressions so far.
In the beginning I was very upset by the Mpx number. After just the first shoot, I have to tell you - I don't want to have a camera with small resolution any more. Period!
The level of details is astonishing! The images are excellent even straight from the camera - with no edit at all. The dynamic range is excellent.
Also the AF is very good. It literally sees in the dark. I tried to take pictures in dark room at night (no light - all lights turned off) and the AF assistant light was enough to focus, without even hunting. I wasn't able to see ANYTHING, because it was complete dark, but the camera did. Daytime I never experienced any problems with the AF.
I believe the fast AF and details level are also determined by what lens you use (and I have really good optics), but I do compare with D700 and D7000 and there is significant improvement.
I like the ergonomics. It's comfortable to hold, even for quite long time. I like the screen resolution, but it does have that slight greenish tint (if that's bothering you it can be changed in the settings).
The only things I don't like are:
There is a slight noise even in low ISO values - 400 and above, but it is only when you look at 100% and the noise is very fine grade, extremely easy to remove in LR.
I would also like to see some more customization options for some of the buttons - like I never use the WB (well almost never) and since I shoot RAW, for me this is quite useless button.
I currently own the Sony NEX-7 and I'm impressed with the level of customization of that camera. You can do all your settings just with your thumb - A, S, ISO, etc. I really would enjoy to see at least some of this on D800.
Overall, D800 is a dream camera - I highly recommend it to everyone!

~~~~~~~~~~ Update 1 ~~~~~~~~~~~ (after 4 months of use):

Lowering my score to 2 stars.
I do not change my mind on what I've written before about this camera. Everything is correct, except with one - the AF.
I said I didn't have problems with my AF, but surely now I do.
And it's the commonly spread left AF points problem.
I did not discover it in the beginning, because I rarely use the very left AF points. Few months after the camera was on the market, I started to read reviews, describing this problem, but since I haven't experienced those, I neglected to test myself. Until one day, when shooting outdoor I saw my images come extremely soft and blurry (with 24mm 1.4G lens). I tested with the 16-35mm - same thing. 50mm 1.4G - same. I had inconsistent problems with my 85mm 1.4G lens while ago, thinking first that it is caused by backfocusing. After I talked with the technical department from Nikon I realized that this could be caused by the fact I was shooting kids, and you never can be sure how fast they move, etc.
However - this was something different now.
I now remembered what I read about the left AF points and when I got back home, I decided to test myself. I downloaded some charts, put those on the wall and started testing my D800.
It clearly had problem with AF when the left points are used. The problem is bigger with wide angle lenses at big apertures(small numbers) - especially with 24mm at f/1.4. It fades away after f/5.6-f/8.
And as you switch from wide-angle to tele lenses it also fades, even at big apertures.
That's why it is not very easy to discover the problem, until you don't fell in a situation like mine, or just decide to test your camera in the beginning.
I contacted Nikon, sent them multiple pictures and they requested the camera for check.
I'm waiting now (already about 10 days) and meanwhile reading the latest review from Mansurov's website (how the guy received his camera with fixed left AF, but they screwed up his center AF, which is worse). I hope it will be different with my camera and everything will be ok, but I know Nikon from before - it's not easy to deal with them when have troubles with your equipment.
So wait for my second update, once I receive the camera back.
Until then my score is 2 stars.
...and it could go either way..

~~~~~~~~~~ Update 2 ~~~~~~~~~~~ (after 3 weeks in Nikon's service center):

I can say the camera is repaired in general.
I did the tests again and it's fine, but you can still see small difference in sharpness when use left AF points (more top left now, than middle and bottom), but it is acceptable, keeping in mind that this is visible ONLY with my 24mm at f/1.4.
At f/1.8, f/2, etc. it is sharp. With the 50mm at f/1.4 is sharp now too.
There is another issue though - the pictures taken with LiveView are sharper, than the ones taken using the viewfinder. I'm sending the camera back to be fine tuned.

I'm also changing my review to 4 stars - this is otherwise awesome camera, but there are still few issues! Hope Nikon will do a better QC next time.

~~~~~~~~~~ Update 3 - The last one ~~~~~~~~~~~ (after many months of use):

I'm raising back my score to 5 stars. The camera is so amazing, that one easily forget all bad experience with left AF points (or whatever else) in the past.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2012 4:46 PM PDT

Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX ED VR Nikkor Wide-Angle Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon DSLR Cameras
Price: $696.95
49 used & new from $345.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent lens!!!!, December 9, 2011
16-85mm is a very good DX lens. For many people this could really be their only one lens. The range is great. It is amazingly sharp lens. I tested against some lenses like 10-24mm, 35mm (f/1.8), 50mm (f/1.4) and 70-200mm (f/2.8). At 16mm and 24mm it is dramatically sharper than the 10-24mm. it is as sharp or a little sharper than the 35 and 50mm and it can really competes very well against the master 70-200mm at 70mm. Unfortunately after 70mm it starts to be softer, so at 85mm won't give you outstanding sharpness.
There are only two things I don't like of this lens - it is slow lens and the bokeh is not very good. Yes, you do have it, but it's not as smooth as you may expect from faster lenses like 70-200mm or 85mm f/1.4
Besides that I am very satisfied from the performance of this lens. One of the best choices for DX, despite the price.

Nikon COOLPIX P7100 10.1 MP Digital Camera with 7.1x Optical Zoom NIKKOR ED Glass Lens and 3-Inch Vari-Angle LCD
Offered by Protech Direct
Price: $318.00
14 used & new from $174.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Very capable camera!, October 22, 2011
I have both P7000 and P7100.
I loved P7000, but there were few things I would like it to have - like the tilted screen, separate buttons to change S and A, when I shoot on Manual. I was happy with the image quality, with the vivid colors, etc. It is very capable camera - I was doing everything from Macro (close-up) to even shooting sports and using panning technique. I never had shutter lags and menu problems the other were complaining about.
I bought the P7100 when it came out. It is the same camera with added those things I was missing on P7000. Amazing! There is even nice bokeh when shoot at small f. I post some pictures, so you can take a look.
For it's group - as a high end P&S this is really amazing camera. Highly recommend to everyone.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2011 9:21 PM PST

Page: 1 | 2