Profile for Susan Henderson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Susan Henderson "Up from the Blue (HarperCollins, 2010)" RSS Feed (New York)

Page: 1 | 2
The Ocean at the End of the Lane: A Novel
The Ocean at the End of the Lane: A Novel
by Neil Gaiman
Price: $9.47
84 used & new from $5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I keep returning to this book., June 26, 2014
This was a perfect book for me. I've read it twice, and now I've listened to it on audio. I keep returning to it because it speaks deeply to both child and adult places inside of me. There is the childhood you can't quite reach that's always present, full of the best kinds of trust and the worst kinds of fear. There are the places and relationships that saved you that you wonder how brief they were and whether they were even real. And there is the adult, wondering whether you've made something of your life. Mostly, there's the adventure Gaiman takes you on that helps make these vulnerable and buried places all come alive. It's a beautiful, resonant book and it's passed through the hands of everyone in my family.

Better Days [Explicit]
Better Days [Explicit]
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love!, March 1, 2014
This review is from: Better Days [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
High energy, danceable punk. Love the humor in this album and the Debbie Harry-like vocals. This and Daft Punk's newest are my favorite workout albums.

Nevermore
Nevermore
by David Niall Wilson
Price: $9.99
23 used & new from $2.45

5.0 out of 5 stars "all stories begin with a grain of truth", August 7, 2013
This review is from: Nevermore (Paperback)
NEVERMORE by David Niall Wilson is a dark and magical trip through swampland and through the layers of time. Blending history with fantasy, truth with fiction, he takes the reader to the place where souls are trapped and where writers and artists help to express and release the suffering. An author in search of lost things and what haunts the soul... but one who leaves the reader a ladder so she can climb back from the dark and into the light.

The Plague
The Plague
by Stuart Gilbert
Price: $8.44
398 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe My Favorite Book Ever, November 11, 2012
This review is from: The Plague (Paperback)
Extraordinary! I can't remember loving a book as much as this one--for the way it's structured, for it's sweeping themes and philosophies, for the poetry of the sentences, and the way it moved me emotionally.

The Help Deluxe Edition
The Help Deluxe Edition
by Kathryn Stockett
Edition: Roughcut
Price: $21.33
153 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars just finished The Help and still have tears in my eyes, January 21, 2012
This review is from: The Help Deluxe Edition (Roughcut)
I just finished The Help and still have tears in my eyes. I almost didn't bother to read it because so many people had talked about it that I felt the book held no surprises for me. I was so wrong. This book gripped me by the heart and kept on squeezing.

Every night I raced home from work to read more. I was so moved by the characters, the layers and layers of complicated emotions and relationships. In the author's note, Stockett quotes from Howell Raine's Pulitzer-winning article, a quote that really sums the beauty and the heartbreak of this book: "There is no trickier subject for a writer from the South than that of affection between a black person and a white one in the unequal world of segregation. For the dishonesty upon which a society is founded makes every emotion suspect, makes it impossible to know whether what flowed between two people was honest feeling or pity or pragmatism."

The Help is a book full of love, wisdom and hope.

Cutting for Stone
Cutting for Stone
by Abraham Verghese
Price: $10.28
1234 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Book of the Year!, September 3, 2011
This review is from: Cutting for Stone (Paperback)
Thoroughly loved this book! I was drawn in by the harrowing birth of the identical twins and the promise of this quote, which comes at the start of the novel but is revisited throughout: "We come unbidden into this life, and if we are lucky we find a purpose beyond starvation, misery, and early death which, lest we forget, is the common lot."

CUTTING FOR STONE is both intimate and sweeping in its scope. We're pulled into the most personal details and tensions between characters, but we also get a bird's eye view of poverty, revolution, and the choices we have to live with for life. An emotional, insightful, deeply satisfying read with an almost Dickensian full-circle ending.

Wrecker: A Novel
Wrecker: A Novel
by Summer Wood
Price: $16.76
107 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Lyrical, Wise, and Big-Hearted, February 15, 2011
This review is from: Wrecker: A Novel (Hardcover)
A young boy with a short fuse and a reckless nature needs a home when his single mom is sent to prison. WRECKER is a story about the aftershocks of abandonment, the hunger for connection, and the surprise in store for the untraditional family who dares to take him in. Highly recommended.

Pictures of You
Pictures of You
by Caroline Leavitt
Price: $11.78
383 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, December 19, 2010
This review is from: Pictures of You (Paperback)
This is a deeply satisfying read that shows the many facets of love. Examining the survivors of a fatal car crash, Leavitt explores grief, guilt, secrets, and disappointments in a cast of sympathetic characters who become so entangled, it's not clear to anyone what decisions are the right ones to make. I highly recommend this book, which feels like an easy read and yet works profoundly on the soul.

Gooseneck Lake, a short story
Gooseneck Lake, a short story

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartache Meets Tenderness, December 5, 2010
This is a story of loss, and of something new and daring beginning to break through that loss. Young Sarah is still reeling from the death of her mother when her father takes up with someone new, and this catapults her back into the world in which anger, risk, tenderness, and heartache fight it out in a nighttime swim at the beach. Keener's ability to stay with these opposing emotions and draw us into Sarah's struggle is only topped by the language itself. A mesmerizing story.

Kings of the Earth: A Novel
Kings of the Earth: A Novel
by Jon Clinch
143 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars stunning language, September 7, 2010
This is a book for readers who love language. It's full of memorable sentences that bring you to the heart of rural poverty and the lives of stoic but deeply connected brothers. Some samples of the writing:

- "Picture those three Proctor boys, two sets of coveralls caked with cow manure and one set of U.S. Army khakis pressed sharp. There's your war memorial."

- "You don't go to a funeral for the sake of the dead. You go for the living...."

- "I thought it was the strangest thing, how a person can go through this life and not see what you see. How he can stand right next to you and it's all different."

I wondered at times if the book would have been better served with a single narrator, but the changing voices create a rich tapestry and remind the reader how each person sees his own truth.

Page: 1 | 2