Profile for Jennalee E. Schuler > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 21

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jennalee E. Schuler RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Golden
Golden
Offered by RYU'SHOP
Price: $8.73
100 used & new from $2.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Get to Me, May 12, 2013
This review is from: Golden (Audio CD)
I really did not know what to expect from Lady Antebellum's fourth studio album "Golden" after they released their hit single "Downtown" as this song established a different root for the group. Hillary Scott does a great job bringing out the sassy side of her, but it's a song that one would probably find on a modern pop than a country radio station. However, Lady A does the song justice through talented vocals and various instruments.

Although the group approached this album differently, "Golden" did "Get to Me." Yes, there are less duets and harmonization, but the album still has the Lady A roots that their fans fell in love with. It is a lighter-heartfelt album compared to their previous releases, but that's what they were aiming for, and they did a great job. There is not one song that I don't love. A few standout songs are "Get to Me," "Can't Stand the Rain," "All for Love," and "Generation Away." This album may not be as strong as "Need You Now," but "Need You Now" will always be their strongest work, and fans need to stop comparing every release to that one. Every good musician matures and experiments with new sounds and approaches and sometimes those new approaches can burn their careers, but I do not see that with Lady Antebellum. "Golden" is polished and well thought out. I am very impressed with this release.

On This Winter's Night
On This Winter's Night
Price: $10.00
64 used & new from $0.26

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, October 22, 2012
This review is from: On This Winter's Night (Audio CD)
I love Christmas and Lady Antebellum. Add one and one and well...you get two.

This album is a great compilation of holiday classics, which rings in Christmas with bells and the celebration of our Savior's birth. As they alternate vocals and extend instrumental notes, On This Winter's Night will make the listener feel nostalgic and curl up in a blanket next to the Christmas tree with a cup of hot chocolate. Hillary's voice is smooth and harmonious in Silent Night, Charles shines with his impeccable vocals in I'll Be Home for Christmas, and Dave continues to rock it on with the guitar. Christmas albums can be either amazing or bland due to the fact that every singer/band sings the same Christmas songs, but Lady Antebellum shines because while they keep the original cover of the classics, they also add their own rendition. It's refreshing.

On This Winter's Night is a must for all Lady Antebellum fans as well as those who are looking for holiday,nostalgic music. Five stars plus more.

Own The Night [+Digital Booklet]
Own The Night [+Digital Booklet]
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Lady A Rocks On, May 14, 2012
When I first stumbled across Lady Antebellum, one word flashed through my mind "nostalgia." They are classic. While their songs may be about falling head over heels in love or scorning love or wishing love never happened, how they bring these themes to the music industry is fresh, instrumentally and vocally.

While "Own the Night" is not as good as "Need You Now", I believe that it is worth 5 stars. The title track is catchy, "Just a Kiss" embraces the theme of waiting for the right moment instead of rushing in, Charles Kelly shines in "Cold as Stone", "Wanted You More" recalls on a past relationship where the one partner invested more time than the other, "Somewhere Love Remains" pleads for second chances, and "Heart of the World" believes that while the world is full of trials and can encumber a marriage, love is still the heart of the world; it binds.

"Own the Night" is a much slower album compared to "Need You Now" or even "Lady Antebellum" which did take me time to adjust and actually enjoy it. I didn't fall in love with this album right away because some of the songs were a lot slower, but over time, it grew on me. And I even started to love "Heart of the World", which is by far their slowest song on this album. But Kelley and Scott sing it so beautifully, and the message is thought-provoking that I could just not love it.

Lady Antebellum loves what they do, and their music never fails to impress. I recommend this album, whether you're just starting to enjoy country music or an avid Lady A fan. It won't disappoint.

Blown Away
Blown Away
Price: $10.00
89 used & new from $2.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, May 14, 2012
This review is from: Blown Away (Audio CD)
Carrie Underwood explores different musical styles and dark themes on "Blown Away." Some reviewers will state that she's playing around with too much of the styles and themes, while others will praise her for it. I fall into the latter category. Underwood said that she had a lot of fun in recording this album, and one listen through all the songs, you'll see that she did have a lot of fun!

The CD opens up with her single "Good Girl" and although I like the song, it reminded me of her single "Cowboy Casanova"; and made me wonder if Underwood would repeat the same themes that encompass her previous albums. However, when "Blown Away" was released, I read some of the reviews and most of them stated that this album was probably one of the best albums because she is dealing with revenge, abuse, and of course, the usual stuff we hear from her (but in a fresh light). So I purchased it and fell in love with all of the songs immediately.

Listen to the title track, "Two Black Cadillacs"; "Good in Goodbye"; "One Way Ticket"; "Who are You"; etc...and you'll find that Underwood continues to grow as an artist. The songs are not just about falling in love or wishing that love had never happened...they are about realizing that some relationships weren't meant to happen for good reasons, security for girls should not come from what's on the outside, and of course, the darker themes of abuse and revenge. Not many artists are able to tackle a wide range of themes,musical styles, and actually succeed. But she does it well. One track will have you playing a scene through your mind while another track will have you dancing.

I highly recommend this album if you're looking for something new and fresh in music. And if you're looking to see how well Underwood has grown as an artist. "Blown Away" is by far the best album she has produced.

The Light Meets The Dark
The Light Meets The Dark
Price: $11.76
68 used & new from $0.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Different, November 3, 2010
Most of us will agree that Tenth Avenue North is extraordinary, bringing fresh music to the industry. However, the music is more than refreshing. Christians can relate to the lyrics because we all have been there. We have had those mountaintop experiences, and we've had those valleys. We also have questioned our worth in Christ and tried to earn our salvation, but yet have come to the realization that in Christ, we don't need to work. Jesus accepts as who we are. And that's beautiful.

"Light Meets the Dark" album sounds different from "Over and Underneath." If you are looking for an album that will reflect Tenth Avenue North's first album, don't buy it. You'll be disappointed, but I would question why would you want the same types of songs? If the songs are the same, then there is nothing new being brought to the table. "Over and Underneath" was about seeing Christ in such an intimate way that...why would we not run to Him? He holds our hearts and He's by our sides through the good and bad. What kind of love is that? It's indescribable so He moves us, and we accept Him.

But in this album, we see the great and rough times of the Christian walk. Whoever thought being a Christian was the easiest thing in the world is wrong. The songs on this album paint the perfect picture of walking the narrow road. We're still tempted by the world "All the Pretty Things," and we know how freeing it is to lay down that wall and confess "Healing Begins." We have friends or are that friend who stays up late to walk through a dark time with another "Oh My Dear."

Tenth Avenue North's sophomore album is a little slower. Honestly, it took me awhile to actually play through the whole CD without skipping songs here and there. But now I have listened through the whole album and was thoroughly surprised...the tempo may be slow, but the lyrics are thought-provoking. They challenge you. They make you examine your walk with Christ.

You know Jesus is working through them. Just read their journals. As they write music, they are still learning about Jesus and their walks with Him. Their honesty is refreshing.

Please purchase. Don't expect the same lyrics from their first album...expect growth.

Speak Now
Speak Now
Price: $9.00
120 used & new from $3.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was hoping Taylor Swift would do, October 27, 2010
This review is from: Speak Now (Audio CD)
I wondered if I was the only one who was getting tired of Taylor Swift and her lack of originality of song lyrics on her album? When the first single to "Speak Now" was released, all I could think was this song sounds like all the other songs Taylor has sung. And then I began to doubt the maturity of "Speak Now." I wondered if she had ever grown as a musician and if we were just going to get another album similar to "Fearless"?

Can I say that Taylor genuinely surprised me with the release of her third album? (BTW...thank you Amazon for selling the MP3 download version of her album for four dollars). Taylor is not screaming as much on this album as "Fearless": she's finding the key to her voice that is soothing and not making the ears cry out in mercy. But "Speak Now" is more than her voice maturity: on this album, you have solid lyrics. The songs aren't about puppy love--she's sings about true emotion...love that is beautiful, and love that is hurtful. The songs are about cherishing what you had as a young child and to value parents (a lesson that can only be learned by growing up). Taylor is not just focusing on past relationships...she's focusing on all aspects of her life from these past few years.

Most of the tracks on this album will have you singing from the top of your lungs or tug at your heart. I'm not a huge fan of "Mean"... to me, this is a very petty song. But I am not surprised that she wrote and sang about this event of her life. So in a way it fits.

Thanks for surprising me Taylor. I believe this is the album that does deserve an award.

Mine
Mine

3.0 out of 5 stars Reminds me of Love Story, August 27, 2010
This review is from: Mine (MP3 Music)
Although I believe that she really hasn't deserved some of the awards she has won, I do like Taylor Swift. I really enjoyed her first album and songs from her second album such as "Fearless" or "Love Story." When her platinum version of "Fearless" was released, I saw a lot of growth in her song "Untouchable."
"Mine" is a catchy tune: the chorus is legit. But when I listen to the song, it reminds me of "Love Story." Taylor Swift commented that this album was going to be about speak now. That's a different turn from her two previous albums....which means she's maturing. I believe that the chorus of "Mine" shows that. However, the rest of the song has the same theme she has been singing on her other two albums.
Having said that, I have high hopes for "Speak Now." I believe that she has great potential to be an amazing singer.

My Sister's Keeper: A Novel (Wsp Readers Club)
My Sister's Keeper: A Novel (Wsp Readers Club)
by Jodi Picoult
Price: $9.71
1726 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Different from the movie, March 21, 2010
Often, they say that the book is better than the movie; however, for me, the book and movie My Sister's Keeper were so different that it is hard to reason out which version is better. In my opinion, the novel is better at developing the characters. The connection that I as a reader had with the characters in the novel versus the movie was better. What was the connection? It all came down to emotion. There are characters that I loathed and loved, and then there were characters that I didn't know how I felt about. When authors are able to develop characters that can cause an emotional connection with the readers, they not only have the readers engaged, but they also have the readers in what I call this conflict of emotion (who is right? Which way is the moral, ethical way of doing things? Are the characters being selfish? etc). Engaging the readers with the novel is important, which is why My Sister's Keeper is such a success.

The movie and book ended differently, which is what took me by surprise. I saw the movie before actually reading the book; therefore, when I was reading the book and finished it, it really left me speechless because it was not what I expected. Was it better or worse? To be honest, I liked both endings, but in my opinion, the ending of the novel left a greater impact. I'm not too much in favor of being the one who spoils the end, so I won't, but if you have seen the movie, don't expect it to follow too closely to the novel.

At the heart of the novel and the book, you have this issue of Anna being a donor and why she was born. Were her parents right in creating her for to save Kate? Is that ethical? Is Anna being the loving sister by obeying Kate's wishes to file a lawsuit against her parents? What about Jesse? How is he affected by Kate's illness? He's not a donor, but he's invisible...no one seems to care about he does or how he is affected. I believe that the theme that encompasses this plot is invisibility. All the characters are invisible...their needs, their wants...what is that they truly want and need? Why does Sara fight so hard to keep Kate alive? Maybe Kate is Sara's lifeline? Why does Campbell become Anna's lawyer, even though he is apprehensive about it? Is it more than just the fact that he can't control his own body? Maybe as the case progresses, he feels more of an attachment to Anna? What about Brian? He is an honorable father figure, but why does he not stand for what he believes is right? Why does he let Sara "rule" the show? It is not until halfway through the novel that he starts voicing his opinion, but what keeps him from doing it in the first place? Is it fear?

Maybe I've read too much into this novel, but I really enjoyed it. I did read it for pleasure, but the issues at hand were more than surface. It challenged me, especially with the conflict of emotion. Which way is right? Which way is wrong?

Purchase the book. It's well-worth the read. And rent the movie too: it's different, but let's face it. Most of the time, movies are different from the books.

Play On
Play On
Price: $7.29
151 used & new from $0.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Kudos to Miss Carrie, January 8, 2010
This review is from: Play On (Audio CD)
I have heard a lot of negative reviews about "Play On." They complained about how Carrie can't sing and that the songs on this album are not ground-breaking. They are the same songs found on her first and second albums "Some Hearts" and "Carnival Ride." These reviews caused me to wonder if "Play On" was even worth purchasing. But I got the album for Christmas and can't believe how sassy and beautiful these songs are! This CD was well put together, and it is refreshing to know that Carrie co-write more than half of the songs. I think having her fingerprints on this album reveals her maturity as a musician. She is stepping out and really bringing forth her ideas and beliefs.

One thing that I can agree about some reviews is that this CD is a lot slower than her first two. One might not be bouncing or dancing to this album as much. But the slowness does not take away the talent of this album. Some lyrics are sassy while others are gut-wrenching. For example, "Cowboy Casanova" and "Undo It" will make you dance while "Someday When I Stop Loving You" and "Temporary Home" will make you want to catch your breath.

I tend to laugh now at the comparison between Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift. I laugh now because I use to make the distinction between the two. But let's face it. Carrie and Taylor are no competition. The focus on their music is different. While Carrie sings about love, the world, and humanity, Taylor sings about boys, unreturned love, and her teenage years. Both singers have much maturity and growth to experience. "Play On" reveals the maturity of Carrie as it should be.

Good job Carrie with this album. It will be blasting in my car and on my iPod.

New Moon (Twilight)
New Moon (Twilight)
by Stephenie Meyer
573 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars worse than the first!, December 20, 2009
This review is from: New Moon (Twilight) (Paperback)
New Moon makes me angry: I don't understand how an author can write horribly and be considered the best of all time! Seriously, have they not read authors such as William Shakespeare, John Donne, Jonathan Swift, J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, or John Dryden? Or maybe they haven't even heard of these authors before! That's sad. Our literary world is declining.

However, there's more to why I don't like this book. Bella is a typical teenage girl who uses someone to get what she wants: throughout the book, she thinks about how she needs Jacob but then she starts to feel guilty about why she wants to be around him all the time; BUT she justifies why she feels this way. So she keeps being deceitful and leading Jacob on. Teenage girls who think she is right in what she is doing needs a reality check: if they use boys to get what they want, they are going to end up living a sad and lonely life. Of course, in the end, Bella regrets what she has done, but she shouldn't have been deceitful in the first place. Yes, her character is much like how a teenage girl would act, but page after page once again is the same thing about how she spends her time thinking about what she is doing and her time with Jacob. Yes, it is nice to see their relationship develop but does it really take over 200 pages for the reader to understand they have established a connection?

Jacob's character is poorly developed: he's whining and insecure. We see that with just his small dialogue. His dialogue is not complex--ie: it's not how a normal boy would talk. It seems as if he is always throwing pity parties: Mike and his character seem very much alike, and I never liked Mike in the first place.

The only character in this series that seems noble is Edward: so what's with the Team Jacob versus Team Edward? They both want the same thing: Bella to be safe. Oh that's right: the love triangle. But who would fall for a pitiful character like Jacob? All of this mounts up to one word: DRAMA. Girls love drama and thrive on it. That's why this book is so popular. Page after page of drama.

Twilight is way better than New Moon (and that's really saying a lot).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3