Profile for Janice Sims > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 487

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Janice Sims "a reader & a writer" RSS Feed (Central Florida)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Rose Gold: An Easy Rawlins Mystery (Easy Rawlins Mysteries)
Rose Gold: An Easy Rawlins Mystery (Easy Rawlins Mysteries)
by Walter Mosley
Price: $19.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Rawlins back in action!, August 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The action begins in Rose Gold only a few months after the last Easy Rawlins novel, Little Green, in which Easy nearly died when his car went off a cliff. He is physically healed now but is still mentally and emotionally trying to become himself again. Therefore, when he's hired by the L. A. Police Department to locate a missing heiress who's reportedly been kidnapped by a revolutionary group calling themselves Scorched Earth, Easy's skills are a bit rusty. He finds himself being shot at and generally in over his head. But as he gets into the swing of things he loosens up and the old Easy puts in an appearance in the nick of time. His formidable skills as a detective are needed as he encounters all sorts of law enforcements agencies bent on their own agenda, including corrupt members of said organizations; neighborhood toughs intent on marking their territory; the hippie subculture and wanna be revoluntionaries, a powerful weapons manufacturer, and the last of an American Indian tribe who could possibly be as dangerous as his friend, Mouse, who only puts in a cameo appearance in this installment. Quite a few regulars show up in this tale, though, including his adopted children, Feather and Jesus. And his girlfriend, Bonnie. As always, the prose was tight even though I felt the plot meandered a bit. Still, an Easy Rawlins novel is inevitably a great read. I highly recommend Rose Gold.

Napoleon's Pyramids (Ethan Gage Adventures Book 1)
Napoleon's Pyramids (Ethan Gage Adventures Book 1)
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars First book in the series and it's quite the adventure!, August 1, 2014
I, unfortunately, began reading the Ethan Gage adventures with the seventh book, The Three Emperors. Napolean's Pyramids is the first book in the series. I loved it. I got to find out how Ethan met his wife, Astiza. And now I know why they named their son, Horus, after an Egyptian god. Astiza is part Egyptian. William Dietrich is a wonderful writer!

Nivea Body Cocoa Butter Body Lotion, 16.9 Ounce
Nivea Body Cocoa Butter Body Lotion, 16.9 Ounce
Price: $7.99
3 used & new from $6.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Cocoa Butter...Your skin will glow and you'll smell delicious!, July 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've always liked Nivea lotions and this one has a nice, light pleasant scent. Better, though, is the fact that it moisterizes so well, and soaks into your skin, leaving it soft and beautiful. Smooth on after a shower for ease of application. For some reason when I think of cocoa butter, I think of summer and sunny days. It must be true that smelling something can bring back memories. Love this lotion.

The City: A Novel
The City: A Novel
by Dean Koontz
Price: $16.79
160 used & new from $6.98

5.0 out of 5 stars A luminous tale for dark times, July 19, 2014
This review is from: The City: A Novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I thought the description of this novel was a little misleading: A young boy, a musical prodigy, discovering life’s wonders—and mortal dangers. His best friend, also a gifted musician, who will share his journey into destiny. It makes you think the novel will be written from the perspective of a young boy. It isn't. It's written from the perspective of a 57-year-old man looking back at a tumultuous time of his life. So his word usage will be that of a man who has experienced life. Not that of a ten-year-old boy. That said, I believe this novel is luminous! Jonah Kirk has become one of my favorite Koontz protagonists. As a boy, although frightened out of his mind by the villains populating this tale, he showed strength and fortitude in the face of great odds. I'm not going into the plot because so many other reviewers have done that. Let me speak to the characterizations: Jonah, his friends, brother and sister, Malcolm and Amalia (whom we met in the short story, The Neighbor), were so beautifully drawn I felt I knew them. To say nothing of Mr. Yoshioka who had suffered bitterly in the past, but still came through when his friend, Jonah, was in jeopardy. I love the fact that Mr. Koontz takes everyday people and casts them in the role of 'hero'. Isn't that what a hero is? Someone who goes beyond his reach to save the day? I found the story to be very inspirational. There are a few supernatural elements to it, but mostly it's a character-driven story. I highly recommend it.

Love Letters: A Rose Harbor Novel
Love Letters: A Rose Harbor Novel
by Debbie Macomber
Price: $15.85
70 used & new from $9.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Another heart-warming read from Debbie Macomber, July 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Debbie Macomber weaves three interlocking love stories in Love Letters: A Rose Harbor Novel. Jo Marie who owns Rose Harbor Inn and her handyman, Mark Taylor, have become friends over the years even though they rarely see eye-to-eye. Widowed, Jo Marie still grieves and Mark has secrets he's holding close to his chest. But there's real emotions between them that Ms Macomber explores. The reader is also eyewitness to the disintegrating marriage of Roy and Maggie Porter who come to the inn to try to see if a weekend away from the kids can help start to bring them back together. Rounding out the drama is Ellie Reynolds who checks into the inn with the goal of meeting a man, Tom Lynch, she's gotten to know online. Against her mother's wishes. Once again Ms Macomber makes you care about these people. You hurt when they hurt, and you celebrate when they triumph!

Larabar Renola Grain-Free Granola, Cinnamon Nut,  18.75 Ounce
Larabar Renola Grain-Free Granola, Cinnamon Nut, 18.75 Ounce
Price: $25.47
3 used & new from $25.47

4.0 out of 5 stars This Larabar isn't a bar, it's loose bits of granola with raisins and nuts, July 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like this granola, it's not too sweet and it's chewy with just the right amount of nuts in it. When I first tried it, I thought to myself, "I wonder how this would taste mixed in oatmeal?" Well, I tried it and it tastes great. If you like your oatmeal to be chewy and crunchy at the same time, mix some of this in it.

Sterling Silver Dragonfly Created-Blue-Sapphire Diamond (0.1cttw, I-J Color, I2-I3 Clarity) Earrings
Price: $83.16

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely made!, July 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like the look and the feel of these earrings. They don't weigh your earlobes down and they're sturdily made. Seeing the clarity of the stone is difficult unless the light catches them just right, though. However, when it does, they're very pretty. They look great for dressy outfits, and I've worn them with jeans. Either way, they looked appropriate.

Touch Me In The Morning: Another Family Reunion Novel In The Wisdom of the Ancestors Series (Family Reunion--In The Wisdom Of The Ancestors Series)
by Ann Jeffries
Price: $14.36
9 used & new from $14.36

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect romantic read to curl up with on a summer evening., July 19, 2014
Ann Jeffries puts so much into a book when she writes one that it's difficult to know where to start a review. She pays special attention to characterization so that by the time you finish reading one of her stories you feel you know the characters. Touch Me in the Morning is no different. Satarah, who is a nurse, saves the life of Doug's son, Donovan. Because of her actions she may be brought up on charges due to the fact that she performed procedures that only a physician should have. I thought it was wonderful how Doug saw reason, and was on Satarah's side. Ms Jeffries handles the romance between Satarah and Doug with realism and with passion. You really believe they're falling in love. Satarah makes him a part of her big, loving family, a multicultural clan that will steal your heart.

DII 100-Percent Cotton Adjustable Chef Kitchen Apron, Machine Washable with Pockets, Sage
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Suits its purpose, July 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a nice basic apron. The size is generous. I'm not a tiny woman and I have room to spare in it. Suits its purpose of keeping my clothing clean while I'm cooking. And the cotton fabric assures I don't get overheated while working.

925 Sterling Silver 2.5"-1.5" Bracelet / Necklace Safety Chain (1.5 Inches)
925 Sterling Silver 2.5"-1.5" Bracelet / Necklace Safety Chain (1.5 Inches)
Offered by Belcho USA
Price: $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Belcho USA got this to me in two days and I didn't pay extra postage!, July 1, 2014
Plus, it's of fine workmanship. I'll definitely be using this company again and recommending it to others. And that's all I've got to say about that!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20