Profile for Janice Sims > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 496

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Janice Sims "a reader & a writer" RSS Feed (Central Florida)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Enemy Lover (Aliens on Earth Book 1)
Enemy Lover (Aliens on Earth Book 1)
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Science-fiction romance fans will love this, September 19, 2014
Go, Natalie! I loved this short novel about aliens on earth. Elithians and Pharans came to earth about the same time and their genetics are quite similar, but they're sworn enemies. Both suffer from infertility and their scientists have been trying to solve the problem. Kayra, who is a Pharan, but was genetically altered to look human, is working with renowned scientist, Ethan who is on the cusp of discovering a way to insure Elithian women will once again give birth to healthy children. She is ordered by her Pharan superiors to steal Ethan's formula. But Kayra's attracted to him, he's been kind to her, and she's reluctant to do so. This story was suspenseful, romantic and wholly believable. This is only part one, though, so don't expect a conclusion to Kayra and Ethan's story in this episode.

BELL 22-1-70309-9 Black Foose Cruiser Seat Cover - Pair
BELL 22-1-70309-9 Black Foose Cruiser Seat Cover - Pair
Offered by ToysOnline (cannot ship to PO Boxes, AK, HI, APO, FFA, FPO or DPO)
Price: $107.84
2 used & new from $18.42

3.0 out of 5 stars They look good, but they didn't fit my family's vehicles, September 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had high hopes for these seat covers. They looked great on the page, and once I got them, they appeared to be well-made, too. However, they don't fit my 2011 Toyota Camry's seats. I then handed them over to my husband to try in his Cadillac. Once again, they did not fit. I don't know what sort of car the seat covers are on in the illustration on Amazon, but it must be a small car. Plus, I have to add that the message on the box about chemicals used in the production of these seat covers were determined to cause cancer in the state of California was little off-putting to say the least!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2014 2:26 PM PDT

Before I Forget
Before I Forget
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This one touched my heart!, September 15, 2014
This review is from: Before I Forget (Kindle Edition)
Leonard Pitts writes an emotional tale about a man who is a former soul singer and who just found out he has Alzheimer's. While pursuing his career, he ignored the most important people in his life, especially his son. Now, he must try to reach his son who's headed in the wrong direction, before it's too late. This is a road-trip novel plus a novel about fathers and sons and why it's so hard sometimes to forge a loving relationship. If you have anyone in your family who has Alzheimer's you will definitely relate to this touching tale. And the ending will blow you away.

Paderno World Cuisine Manual Salad Spinner
Paderno World Cuisine Manual Salad Spinner
Price: $29.95

4.0 out of 5 stars First time salad spinner user, September 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Even though I make salads quite often, I'd never used a salad spinner before. I would simply wash the lettuce, and pat it dry, or try to, with paper towels. This salad spinner is easy to use. You simply tear the lettuce apart after washing it, put it in the green basket which sits inside the clear plastic base, put the lid on securely, then pulled the green knob toward you several times. The more you pull the knob, the faster it spins. I must say, after a few short minutes, the lettuce came out pretty dry. And I've noticed the lettuce doesn't turn brown as swiftly if you get most of the liquid off it. So, from now on, I'm a salad spinner user! I suggest washing the unit before using it for the first time, and after use, wash it with mild detergent, dry it and put it away until the next use.

I Travel by Night
I Travel by Night
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story, but I wanted more!, September 11, 2014
This review is from: I Travel by Night (Kindle Edition)
Beautifully written story. It was just too short. Lawson, the vampire gunslinger who is searching for the vampire who turned him in order to hopefully suck her dry and return to his human form, is an interesting protagonist. However there was no satisfaction in the ending. Won't say more because I don't write spoilers. But there must be more to this story. He and Ann teamed up to try to rescue Ann's sister from vampires and at the end it appeared they would make their association more permanent. Robert McCammon, where is part two? Can't give less than five stars for this brilliant tale, though!

In the Dark
In the Dark
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary good!, September 11, 2014
This review is from: In the Dark (Kindle Edition)
I loved In the Dark by Brandon Massey. It asks the question: How far would you go to protect the people you love? The horror elements deal with voodoo. Len and his wife Olivia with their 3-year-old daughter, Kennedy move into their dream house, a Victorian in an upscale Atlanta neighborhood. Then, the creepy former owner of the home, Dr. Laveaux, shows up one morning and demands that they vacate the house within 3 days, or else! At first, Olivia, who's a lawyer, scoffs at the man's demands. They bought the house legally, and he doesn't have a leg to stand on. However, as the hours pass, they learn Dr. Laveaux has the means to back up his threats. Both she and Len start having hallucinations about people they wronged in the past and are guilt-ridden over. In Len's case a former girlfriend who committed suicide after he broke up with her. In Olivia's, her heroin-addicted brother who overdosed. Both long dead, but suddenly hounding them. Len and Olivia are forced to fight fire with fire, which means they must find someone who is versed in voodoo like Dr. Laveaux or they won't survive. Who'll win? And will they be able to protect their little girl whom Dr. Laveaux has taken a special interest in?

Kobi Electric K7L6 12-watt (60-Watt) PAR30 LED 3000K Warm White Outdoor Flood Light Bulb, Non-Dimmable
Offered by WAD Enterprises, LLC
Price: $24.49
5 used & new from $24.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly lights up dark corners!, September 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I certainly can't vouch for the Kobi Electric K7L6 bulb lasting ten years as the manufacturer says it will, but I can say it gives off brilliant light and it worked just fine when my husband put it in the outside light fixture. Plus, living in Florida, we had some rain the first night, and the second night, the bulb worked just as well, so the rain didn't damage it. If I have any problems in the future I'll update this review.

Now Designs Set of 4 Basic Placemats, Chili
Now Designs Set of 4 Basic Placemats, Chili
Price: $19.99
3 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good ribbed placemats!, September 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These placemats are made in India. They're pretty, they look sturdy and the Chili is a deep red that goes well with our dining room's decor. I laundered them before writing this review. The instructions say to wash with similar colors. That's because the color bleeds. I would advise washing them by themselves. That's what I did. The material is 100% cotton. They held up in the wash. Seemed to take an inordinate amount of time in the dryer. Only four placemats. I thought they'd be dry in 20 minutes, but it took 30 on high heat.

Nature Babycare Eco-Sensitive Wipes, 672 Count
Nature Babycare Eco-Sensitive Wipes, 672 Count
Price: $40.41
5 used & new from $32.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Going green!, September 2, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like the fact that these wipes are all-natural and good for the environment. They're strong too. They don't come apart in your hand while you're using them. They're supposed to be unscented, but there is definitely a scent. My husband says I've a sensitive nose, but anyone can detect the scent. It's not unpleasant, though. They clean well, and leave the skin soft and conditioned. There are 12 packages in a case which add up to 672 wipes in total. I believe they'll last a good long while.

Rose Gold: An Easy Rawlins Mystery
Rose Gold: An Easy Rawlins Mystery
by Walter Mosley
Price: $19.23
40 used & new from $12.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Rawlins back in action!, August 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The action begins in Rose Gold only a few months after the last Easy Rawlins novel, Little Green, in which Easy nearly died when his car went off a cliff. He is physically healed now but is still mentally and emotionally trying to become himself again. Therefore, when he's hired by the L. A. Police Department to locate a missing heiress who's reportedly been kidnapped by a revolutionary group calling themselves Scorched Earth, Easy's skills are a bit rusty. He finds himself being shot at and generally in over his head. But as he gets into the swing of things he loosens up and the old Easy puts in an appearance in the nick of time. His formidable skills as a detective are needed as he encounters all sorts of law enforcements agencies bent on their own agenda, including corrupt members of said organizations; neighborhood toughs intent on marking their territory; the hippie subculture and wanna be revoluntionaries, a powerful weapons manufacturer, and the last of an American Indian tribe who could possibly be as dangerous as his friend, Mouse, who only puts in a cameo appearance in this installment. Quite a few regulars show up in this tale, though, including his adopted children, Feather and Jesus. And his girlfriend, Bonnie. As always, the prose was tight even though I felt the plot meandered a bit. Still, an Easy Rawlins novel is inevitably a great read. I highly recommend Rose Gold.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20