Profile for J. Lax > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Lax "FunnyFreakingCalls" RSS Feed (New York, NY)

HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32 GB 9.7-Inch Tablet Computer
HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32 GB 9.7-Inch Tablet Computer
Offered by entermediaplus
Price: $229.90
112 used & new from $71.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Apple vs. Android vs. WebOS, July 3, 2011
And then there were three: It really will be interesting to see who the big winners will be in a year or two, but here's my take in an attempt to help mitigate some of the confusion with all the Tabs out now. The review below will focus on the 3 big winners so far, in our opinion: iPad2 for Apple, the Galaxy 10.1 for Android (see my review on its page), and the TouchPad for WebOS. Which to go with? Read on...

Issue 1: Should my cell phone brand impact which Tablet I buy:
Our Take: Yes. Stay with your brand and you will reap great rewards. Switch and you'll lose lots.
WebOS Benefits: The Touchpad and Palm Pre 3 offer some truly powerful integration. Not only can you simply touch the Palm Pre to the Touchpad to sync screens and "take it with you" but the Touchpad can access 3g easily with the Palm Pre. Bye Bye monthly fees. Cool, too, is the ability to print wirelessly to HP wireless printers.
Apple Benefits: iCloud service allows you to over-the-air sync your photos, music, movies etc. with ALL of your iOS 5 devices. And apps purchased for your iPhone sync (for free) to your iPad. Very cool.
Android Benefits: Similar to WebOS, the Galaxy 10.1 can tether to many Android phones, such as the Droid X for FREE 3G. Also, any apps you download(ed) on your droid phone can be freely added to the Galaxy Tab.

The Winner: None here. It really depends on which powerful integration benefits you want/need. But don't make the mistake of having one brand for phone and another for Tablet. You're going to really be losing out on some key features if you do that. No one seems to point this out in any of the reviews of any of these devices, and I have always found that suspicious. Any review not pointing this out as doing you a disservice.

Issue 2: The Apps
Our Take: Apple, Apple, Apple but for how long?
The bottom line is that you get a Tab for the functions it performs. And that, of course, is through Apps. So any review downplaying the importance of App availability makes us skeptical of who the author is. We are by no means Apple fanatics, but we have to be honest: Apple is way ahead of the game here so that if you NEED an Tablet right now, meaning Summer 2011, your App experience is going to be much better with iPad. That doesn't mean I think you should buy an iPad, it just means that for the full experience of the TouchPad (or Galaxy), you're going to have to wait. We do believe the apps are coming, we really do, so if you are patient, you will have a great experience in 6 months or a year or two. But you have to consider that newer/better/cheaper devices will be out by then. So if you definitely want a TouchPad I'd wait until that happens. If you need one NOW, then just understand that you're NOT going to have the full experience just yet. You will have the biggies like facebook, but you will miss other apps, for sure. This really is not a concern for those of you who just want the TouchPad for browsing or music/pics/Facebook/Twitter/etc.

One word of caution: although we do believe apps are coming, we don't believe ALL THREE Tab systems will last. There has to be one (or two) winners, eventually. We all know Apple will be around, and now that Android has developed such a major following and has proven its ability to make up huge ground in the phone App market, we do have some serious concern that WebOS COULD --COULD-- be at a serious disadvantage in apps. If they can't make up ground quickly, the way Android did with Apple, there is a danger that its app store will never materialize. And that will kill the TouchPad. We'll see, but it is a point of concern worth noting. WebOS is, after all, third in line, here.

The Winner: iPad2/Apple (for now). Follow this closely and stay tuned here for updates on how the apps are coming along.

Issue 3: Hardware and Specs
Our Take: Why buy a Tablet that's as heavy as a textbook?
The whole point of creating a tablet was portability and carrying ease. After all, we had laptops, and those seemed easy enough, but the Tablet improved upon even that to make an easier and more practical experience. We believe that .5 lb difference in weight is a HUGE difference in portability of a Tablet. The Galaxy just feels wonderful. It's like carrying a light but sturdy clipboard. Remember how cool the general in Color War looked moving around with ease with clipboard in hand? The iPad2 is ALMOST as sleek, just a drop heavier, but you can feel the difference. The TouchPad is bulky, like a light textbook. If the difference in weight doesn't matter to you, you can safely ignore this. But I'd suggest going to a store and picking up and holding all three. Here was our immediate first impression when picking up each device for the first time:
Galaxy: (With a smile) "Wow that is light."
iPad2: "Not bad! Almost as light as the Galaxy."
Touchpad: "Whoa, that's kind of heavy."

We should point out that TouchPad's wireless dock charging scores major coolness/convenience points and that the Galaxy's screen resolution seemed the most impressive and brilliant to us. Clearly iPad is lagging behind in terms of pure hardware/specs.

The Winner: The Galaxy

Issue 4: The System/GUI
Our Take: The Touchpad gives a first glimpse into the future of Tabs.
This is where the TouchPad is a big winner. There is no question that the WebOS system is a peek into the future of what Tablets might be like in 3-5 years. The multi-tasking is wonderful, allowing you to slide through "cards" of apps you are using and just pick up where you left off within each app. Terrific, and it really makes you see the serious limitations of the iPad where you have to scroll through pages and pages of apps and open and close them when you want to switch. It almost makes the iPad look outdated. iOS is a terrible way to navigate through the many wonderful itunes apps. Android is in the middle here. It has terrific abilities to customize screens and create widgets that are far more powerful than anything iPad can do, but Touchpad takes it to the next step to the point that you can almost taste the bridge to a PC-like experience. It's not quite there yet, and the system is still somewhat buggy, but it does the best job of making you feel like you are using a PC.
Touchpad also has a neat notification system that is more fluid and seems less bothersome and "naggy" than iPad and Anbroid's.
One KEY area needs to be noted is the keyboard. TouchPad's keyboard is better and easier to use than iPad's but both are FAR behind the Droid's intuitive and revolutionary "Swype" technology. If you haven't seen or tried Swype, you should. For some people, this is reason enough to use Android. It makes text input a breeze.
The Winner: TouchPad

Issue 5: Price
Our Take: Lots of competition but Tabs are still expensive.
All three devices are priced similarly right now but you clearly get better bang for your buck with the Galaxy or TouchPad whose specs (screen resolution, memory) exceed iPad2.
The Winner: Tie- TouchPad and Galaxy

Issue 6: So, What should I buy?
Our Take: Stick to your brand and reap great rewards.
It makes sense to try and stay within your phone brand. You're missing out on so many great features by "going out of network", but if that's not an issue, consider your app preferences. If you MUST have all the apps now, go with iPad. If you have faith that the apps will come for TouchPad (or Galaxy/Android) and have some patience, then by all means choose your preference between those devices.

Issue 7: Galaxy vs. TouchPad?
Ok, you're forcing our hands here. It really is a tough choice, and depends on which things matter to you more (read above). But, gun to our heads, although we LOVE the TouchPad, we have more faith in Android's app store future and just cannot bare lugging around another textbook. We graduated long ago.

Samsung Galaxy Tab (10.1-Inch, 16GB, Wi-Fi)
Samsung Galaxy Tab (10.1-Inch, 16GB, Wi-Fi)
Offered by Blizzard LLC
66 used & new from $169.99

1,275 of 1,324 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars It's Good, It Has Flaws, and It Will Improve... if you can wait a bit., June 17, 2011
Who is this Review for?
Anyone considering the Galaxy 10.1" Tablet or not sure whether to go with iPad or this (or any other Android tablet).If you're very confused by all the entries to the Android Tablet category lately, I'm going to try and help. First things first, if you're definitely going with an Android tablet, FORGET ALL THE OTHERS, this is the ONE (see why below). That is, unless price is a big concern for you, in which case you probably really should not buy a Tablet to begin with, but if you still want one, go with the Asus Transformer. OK, on to the review of the Galaxy 10.1:

The Good
In time this will be better than iPad2. It's a beautiful device. Don't listen to those saying there is some discernible difference in the hardware quality or the "wow" factor between this and ipad2. There really is not. Except for one thing-- you really can feel the small weight difference. Galaxy 10.1 is slightly lighter than iPad 2, and if you pick up one right after the other, you will notice the difference. Don't get me wrong, both are absurdly light, but I love how light and portable the Galaxy is. Don't even THINK of getting another Android Tablet on the market as of this writing. This is light years ahead of them all even though there is no SD slot. It's much lighter than the Xoom (and all the others out now), almost to the point that I would put it in a different class of product. It's kind of like carrying around clipboard (of very sturdy quality). No strain. Whereas carrying around the other Android Tabs is kind of like carrying around a light textbook. If the difference doesn't matter to you...then don't pay the price difference for this Tab. Just get an Asus Transformer. The ability to have customizable widgets and apps (like weather on your home screen), to me, makes this device, and Android in general, more powerful than iPad. And, if you already have an Android phone, you really should stick with the Android Tabs, which will allow a much better integration for you. For one thing, you can tether some Android phones VERY easily to the tablet. If you have an iPhone, I'd stick to ipad and their cloud, which will really protect everything on all your devices. Hopefully this advice will help you folks who have one phone or the other and are on the fence over whether to buy iPad or this Tablet (or any other Android Tablet). The screen on this Tablet is just gorgeous. Response, over all is good but not as fluid as Ipad. For most functions (except for one VERY important one, described below) you will not notice a difference. I promise you. I saw a review on here which is, ahem, ranked higher than mine --ugh-- saying that ithe Phone's "cachet" is something to be considered. Utter nonsense. You will look great with this tablet and you'll enjoy using it and people will say WOW when they see it. This device has better specs than the iPad, is just as sleek, just as functional, has flash (something that I believe is somewhat overrated though as websites move away from flash), and will eventually --EVENTUALLY-- have a better app experience than iPad. Eventually. :-) Which leads me to "The Bad":

The Bad
I saw a previous review saying that the keyboard responded slowly. After using it I can confirm that there really IS a delay between typing and text appearing on screen using SOME features like the browser. WHY? Is it honeycomb? Something that will be resolved with an update? Or is the hardware faulty and just that slow? I really hope it's the former, but I have no idea and I'm not going to buy one until I find out.

UPDATE (6/28/11): Awesome job by Commentor Scott Welch who seems to have found a fix for this. Scott explains,"I experienced the keyboard delay. It appears to be a problem with the Samsung Keyboard. I switched to the Android keyboard and it works GREAT!!! Setting> Language & Input> Current input Method." THANK YOU Scott.

Another disappointing thing is that there isn't Swype on the tablet (note: I haven't seen Swype on ANY Android Tablet yet, though, and it's disappointing).

UPDATE(6/28/11): Swype IS now available for the Honeycomb Tablets! Thanks to Commentors C.V. Tang and Brian Mason. C.V. Tang explains that "The Swype Beta are out for Honeycomb [see his comment below for the link, Amazon won't allow links in reviews]. Brian Mason added that "Swype 3.0 beta is now available for Honeycomb. Very cool how you can set it to small keyboard mode for single finger swyping on either side."

Great job, C.V. and Brian! Based on their comments, bump this review from 4 to 4.5 Stars. I've always felt that Swype is one thing that really separates Android from iPhone/iPad and shows the difference between the two systems in terms of power and customization, as Android market has so many variations of Swype that are just wonderful. Having Swype on a screen of this size is just amazing and really speeds up use and usability of the device immeasurably. It's really difficult to justify sticking with iPad's tap-tap-tap which is SO 2009.

The Apps
Apps are what Tabs are all about, so it really should be it's own discussion in any helpful review. Yes, iPad still kicks Android's Butt in apps. Yes, this will change. Yes, I know you keep hearing this. No, I don't work for Android or any company related to any of these devices and am just as annoyed as you that Android is still not up to par! But it really is inevitable with the dramatic increase in Android use that the Tablet App market will explode in the same way the Android phone app market has exploded. My Droid X phone has become more and more enjoyable to use as the market continues to grow and provide me with apps I used to have on my iPhone. When i first bought my Droid, I didn't have Sonos or my Bank's app and many other apps that were an Iphone. Now, I can't even think of an App that I had on my iPhone that I don't have on my Droid. And, best of all, I have cool widgets on my phone home screen that I could never have on my Iphone. This will happen with the Android Tab, too. And when it does and the growing number of customizable apps arrive on the Android Tabs, I do believe these Tablets will destroy the iPad. But not yet...

What should you buy?
Fortunately, I really think the answer to this question is very simple. If you already have an Iphone or Android phone, don't even think about getting the other company's Tablet. It's a huge waste. There are big advantages with sticking with the same company (tethering for Android, the cloud for Apple, and, most significantly, the APPS FOR BOTH. Why pay twice for the same apps and why go through all the hassle?). The differences between the Apple and Android Tablets are not so monumental as to justify losing all these efficiencies of sticking with your phone's company. I would compare it to using three different companies for home Cable, home internet and home phone line.

UPDATE (6/28/11): Thanks very much to Commentor K. Smits who further explained what I meant here: "I think [the review] is referring to the upcoming iCloud service baked into iOS 5 from Apple. Basically it will over-the-air sync your photos, music, etc. among your iOS 5 devices. Look up "iCloud" in google to see more details. Also, if you purchased apps for your iPhone you will be able to use them on your iPad as well without having to purchase an Android version. Of course this goes both ways. If you have an Android phone and have purchased an App, you would be able to use it on a Android based tablet as well." Yep, exactly! Smits also added some helpful information, saying "there are other solutions for keeping everything synced (Dropbox, Picasa for pics, Google Music Beta for music) If Flash is an important thing, I would rule out iPad. While I do think Flash is an archaic and not very well designed rich media solution for webpages, it is not going anywhere for a while, so I would make this a big consideration for a device that should give you a "PC like" browsing experience."

If you have an Android Phone and are debating which Android Tablet to buy, STOP THINKING ABOUT IT NOW, and get the Galaxy which is far and away a monumentally superior product than all previous Android tablets. If price is not an issue for you (and this device isn't really any more expensive than similar Tabs except the much heavier Transformer), you will regret passing up on the sleekness, hardware superiority and overall better experience and portability of the Galaxy. If you can't afford the Galaxy and don't mind a heavier Tab, go with the Transformer. If you have an iPhone, I wouldn't consider this, and definitely not other Android Tablets. Stick with the iPad.

Questions, Commentors
Feel free to post messages on here and I'll try to respond best I can. I'm not an expert, just some guy who played extensively with bunch of these things!

UPDATE (6/28/11): Thanks so much to all the wonderful and helpful Commentors. You guys really make this review so much more helpful for people and it's great to have so many different perspectives. Keep sending helpful comments and I'll weave them in here as I continue to update my review. You guys have helped confirm that Swype is AVAILABLE, that there IS a fix to the keyboard issue, and have helped explain some common questions from users. I'll continue to update my review as information comes in. Right now, I have upped it to 4.5 Stars.
Comment Comments (94) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2012 1:08 AM PDT

Funny Freaking Calls I
Funny Freaking Calls I
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, March 30, 2011
This review is from: Funny Freaking Calls I (MP3 Music)
Better than the old Jerky Boys pranks, this one is smart, witty and unbelievably funny. The best one was "Camel on a bus" where he called a Bus terminal complaining that they wouldn't let him on a bus with his (small) camel.

The Wall Street Journal
The Wall Street Journal
Offered by Dow Jones & Company
Price: $22.99
2 used & new from $14.99

1.0 out of 5 stars People Complained About Price and Amazon Responded..., July 23, 2010
by raising it more! What a disgrace. As an educator, I get access to WSJ home delivery, online access, and mobile access ALL for $99/year. And, as with other e-books, I thought trading in my paper for e-delivery would lower the publisher's, and consequently my, costs. Nope. Many reviewers on here were saying that the paper is great but that the $9.99 Kindle price was nonsensical as most regular readers pay about $99/year. So Amazon responded... by raising the price to $14.99. Seriously? It's really infuriating that Amazon is price gorging us here. How on earth does it make sense to charge me $180/year for e-delivery of a physical paper PLUS online access PLUS mobile access that I already get for $99/year. Disgraceful.

Scosche IDR650M Dynamic Range Earphones with TapLINE Control Technology (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by SF Planet
Price: Click here to see our price

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Thrilled, May 26, 2010
Not wanting to spend alot of money on headphones (you never know when you might lose a pair), I was happy to see what appeared to be a high-quality set for $40. My new philosophy might now be never to spend more than $10 for a headset. Here's why:

1. Sound Quality-2
It's fine. I'm not a huge audiophile, but the sound was just fine. No noticeable difference between these and my iphone's manufacturer set. That's not a good thing when you're spending $40.

2. Functionality-1
Not fine. For one thing, this DOES NOT control volume on an iphone 3G. That's annoying. Worse yet, after just a few uses, the phone function stopped working for no apparent reason at all. Now I can only use these to listen to music. No phone function at all. That's inexcusable.

3. Comfort-2
Eh. Once I found the right rubber piece for my ear-size (i'm 5'10 and was surprised to find out i'm a "small"). I was ok with it, but it's not especially comfortable. Also, the noise canceling function can be very annoying. It's not the fault of this particular headset, it's just something innately irritating with noise-canceling technology. It's impossible to stay on a phone call with the headset because the noise-canceling function makes you hear your own voice as if you are wearing ear-plugs. Ever wear those soft, cushion sound-proof in-ear plugs and tried to speak? Try having a conversation like that. Impossible.

Pass on this. These headset companies are going to have to come up with a better technology for headphones that act as phone headsets too.