Profile for Kim Karas > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 892

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kim Karas "New England mom" RSS Feed (Massachusetts)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Safekeeping: A Novel
Safekeeping: A Novel
by Jessamyn Hope
Price: $7.89
33 used & new from $7.27

4.0 out of 5 stars Among the characters we find a brooch, July 28, 2015
This review is from: Safekeeping: A Novel (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was intrigued by the Amazon description of this novel and found it to be a good read, There is so much depth with different time settings and varied characters to consider. A story focused on Adam an addict from New York City who goes to a kibbutz in Israel in 1994 to return a brooch that was a prized possession of his grandfather's back to the woman who he fell in love with at the kibbutz when he was there himself 50 years before. This is one right thing that he knows he can do in light of all the choices that he has made in his life that have gone to the worse direction. Now it would be far too easy to just show up and find the woman or people who remembered his grandfather right off the bat, but here they seem so adamant that he is in the wrong place it doesn't "feel" right (to Adam or this reader.) As we get to know the other characters and the backstory, I also found a bit of history education and a lot to ponder on. There are glimmers of hope and happiness among greater settings of sadness and hardship which makes it hard to say the overall mood of the novel but it certainly made me think and I appreciated it. I felt as though the brooch was as much a character as any of the people.

The one difficult thing I found it was slow reading the first third of the book, I am glad I made it past that beginning and on to a steadier pace of reading. A very literal (no pun intended) example of how it pays sometimes to stick with it and you may be rewarded for your time.

Paper Mate InkJoy 100ST Ballpoint Pen and Touchscreen Stylus, Capped, Business Colors
Price: $12.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylus with the right sensitivity for my tastes., July 8, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Very convenient to have a pen and stylus in one. I honestly use the stylus end much more frequently and it works like a charm on my tablet and phone. Very precise movements that feel natural to make. Nothing awkward or uncomfortable here. I hope it continues to perform this well over time. The pen is a handy add-on but not my main use.

Classic Brands Gramercy 14 Inch Hybrid Cool Gel Memory Foam and Innerspring Mattress, Queen Size
Price: $547.19
2 used & new from $545.00

5.0 out of 5 stars My tall marshmallow bed!, July 8, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a large woman with a bad back. You go to the mattress showcase near you and they are going to sell you a firm mattress. I recently spent good money on a wonderful bed that didn't do much good for my sciatica, passed that on to someone else who needed it once I tried this bed out. Let me tell you about this bed... it's so comfortable and it is what's right for me and my back! I guess it goes to show, you just won't know until you sleep on it. Testing a mattress out in a showroom did me no good whatsoever. I would certainly recommend this mattress. I have it paired with a low profile box spring on a standard metal frame. I'm about 5'8" and it's a little leap for me to get up there (worth it though!) Something to keep in mind for shorter stature, you may need a little step stool. I think it would still be worth it!.

Cyberlink PowerDVD 15 Ultra
Cyberlink PowerDVD 15 Ultra
Price: $89.99
10 used & new from $85.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun or work? Both!, July 8, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This program has a lot more capacity than what I need, though that can't be a bad thing since it's relatively simple to navigate The best part I have found so far is the image quality. I asked myself, really is the quality going to be better. Well I don't know how they do it, but they do and it is. My photos look amazing and I can't wait to spend more time playing with the features. Speaking of free, you get a year's worth of storage free which helps you access via cloud over multiple devices. The cost to continue storage ranges from $9.99 to 99.99, essentially a buck a GB each year. Not bad.

SanDisk Cruzer CZ36 16GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive, Frustration-Free Packaging- SDCZ36-016G-AFFP

4.0 out of 5 stars always better to buy just a little more space than you need., July 8, 2015
Great product. On my part I misjudged the capacity I would need. I got a 16GB flash drive that actually gives you 14.6 as true capacity and don't you know the application I purchased this for needs 14.7. At any rate it's a good deal on a product with any great number of uses. It's convenient to carry around and when I buy the next size up it's probably going to be SanDisk again. I have just always trusted the brand.

Walksmart Isle Sport Slide Sandals, Taupe/Lime, 11 M/B-C
Walksmart Isle Sport Slide Sandals, Taupe/Lime, 11 M/B-C
Offered by Launceston Products

4.0 out of 5 stars Good affordable comfort and support., July 8, 2015
I like these sandals very much. Generally I'm Sketcher dependent for the type of support I need and I was browsing through Sketcher sandals and decided to give this a try, similar look and style but slightly lower price. I was not disappointed. Some have reviewed them as being too wide even for wide feet... I am 11W and they fit as though they were made for me. I would like to buy a second pair... wondering if I can get away with the black ones with black socks when the weather is a little chillier. That's how comfy they are!

CoasterStone AS10091 Scenic Beauty Absorbent Coasters, 4-1/4-Inch, Set of 4
CoasterStone AS10091 Scenic Beauty Absorbent Coasters, 4-1/4-Inch, Set of 4
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars No more sweaty drippy drinking vessels, July 8, 2015
Exactly what I wanted beautiful but most importantly very absorbent stone. They look absolutely great so I don't even put them away I just leave them out and about and plan on buying more.

Just Add Water: A Surfing Savant's Journey with Asperger's
Just Add Water: A Surfing Savant's Journey with Asperger's
by Clay Marzo
Price: $19.71
47 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved reading and highlighted a lot of things to go back and reference GREAT READ!, July 8, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Whew what a moving book! I am into memoirs of many different sorts, as well as having an interest in Asperger's/autism spectrum and virtually no knowledge about surfing. This book took hold of me and would not let go. I have been fascinated and impressed and mind-boggled by what we read about Clay and his relationship with water and surfing. I choked up in a lot of places when it comes to the struggles that he had with school when he did not have the right diagnosis and people did not know so well how to work with kids on the spectrum, even if they could figure out that's where he was. This guy is literally amazing, with an incredible mom who went to bat for him in every way imaginable. Not only do I recommend the book but do an internet search and get a look at Clay in his comfort zone. It's awesome and I am actually at a loss of words, I guess being awed will do that to you. An inspiration to people on the spectrum and in the surf and just people with heart. Read this book!

I Am Princess X
I Am Princess X
by Cherie Priest
Price: $14.19
58 used & new from $9.49

4.0 out of 5 stars No romance here (phew), June 27, 2015
This review is from: I Am Princess X (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Well written modern, trendy mystery/thriller for a teen audience. The characters are well developed and the author writes in a highly descriptive fashion like stringing beads on a delicate necklace. Some work to get through it (I read an ARC so have yet to see the graphics.) This is a perfect summer read, emphasis on girl power, friendships and suspense. I can only imagine the full graphics are the icing on the cake and will check that out in the finished print.

Thirteen Chairs
Thirteen Chairs
by Dave Shelton
Price: $9.33
33 used & new from $8.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Good creepy book for ages 12+, June 25, 2015
This review is from: Thirteen Chairs (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When you read the description stating this is a collection of thirteen spooky stories, that's true. The stories do connect however, to form a cohesive book as well. I enjoy young adult literature and try to review both as an adult reader and my opinion of how it would do with the target audience. I did find the book interesting and a quick read. Certainly should appeal to target audience grades 7 and up. Good for people who like something creepy but not gruesome/horror. I'd say it's safe to read at night! Not nightmare inducing (unless individuals are highly sensitive to subject of death or ghosts) May not appeal to most adults perhaps because it reads so quickly and you may be left longing for more connection or depth to the characters. But if you want to preview before providing or allowing kids to read or just take an interest in young adult lit like I do, give it a try.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20