Profile for Carolyn > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Carolyn RSS Feed

The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby [Blu-ray+Ultra-Violet]
The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby [Blu-ray+Ultra-Violet]
DVD ~ James McAvoy
Price: $21.99
29 used & new from $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and underrated film, February 10, 2015
A beautiful and sorely underrated film. I don't feel like I need to add anything else about the organization of the series that previous reviews haven't already said; I'll just put my two cents on the story itself. People who did not enjoy the movie because it is tedious, dull, boring etc. miss that the "point" of this film isn't supposed to be plot-driven nor does it aim to follow the convention of a happy or resolved ending, but rather it is a portrayal of how the main characters Conor and Eleanor understand their relationships with each other and the people around them. I can almost say that the tragedy that befalls them doesn't even matter (okay, maybe this isn't entirely true), but only serves as the back drop for the main "event" - a relationship that has fallen apart and its implications. Thus you hardly ever hear mention of the tragedy itself because that's not the main point. The tragedy that occurs is an important aspect of the story and is what draws them apart, but the purpose of the movie is how they handle and make sense of the tragedy and how it has affected themselves and their relationships - the lack of a dramatic music or other "indicators" of shock to the audience when we finally figure out what has happened highlights this fact. I think many of us could identify with aspects of both Conor and Eleanor if we had ever been in a relationship, gone through a break-up, or lost something important in our lives. Having the story told from both perspectives of Him and Her highlight the complexity of how people can choose to make sense of their realities differently. With minimal yet poignant music, the beauty of this film is in the dialogue, the eerily realistic and humanistic portrayal of a couple's marriage/its disintegration and their relationships. I would definitely recommend watching this film especially if you enjoyed the Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight series.

Vidal Sasson VS433C Tangle-Free Hot Air Brush Styler and Dryer, 1 Inch
Vidal Sasson VS433C Tangle-Free Hot Air Brush Styler and Dryer, 1 Inch
Offered by Juvolicious
Price: $26.53
17 used & new from $14.11

2.0 out of 5 stars Ineffective for thick frizzy hair, February 14, 2014
I normally love Vidal Sassoon hair appliances - in fact, they're the only brand I've found that can tame my thick, frizzy hair and make it smooth, soft and frizz-free. However this brush/dryer combo just didn't do it for me. It was inefficient at drying damp hair even after I had let it air-dry for 45 minutes, and it was ineffective at curling altogether. I have a feeling it might have something to do with the bristles, which are made of plastic and not the natural/boar hair bristles I'm used to, as well as the large spaces in between each bristle that make it difficult for the brush to get a hold on my hair. I'm disappointed because I normally love VS products and the brush seems to be well built. If anyone has any tips on how to better use this brush, please let me know! Otherwise, people with thick, frizzy hair might want to consider another product.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as comfortable as expected, August 15, 2012
Pictures are accurate and they are true to size. I ordered a pair in black and they are work appropriate. I wear a 5.5 and it fits well. However, they are not super comfortable. I don't have any problems with the heels, but the fronts chafe the top of my feet when I walk and there is minimal arch support. Decent for a basic pair of flats but don't expect to do a lot of walking in them.

Social Statistics for a Diverse Society-Text Only, 5TH EDITION
Social Statistics for a Diverse Society-Text Only, 5TH EDITION
by Dr. Chava Frankfort-Nachmias / Dr. Anna Y. Leon-Guerrero
Edition: Perfect Paperback
25 used & new from $4.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent intro book, few errors, October 10, 2011
This is a decent introductory stats book, especially for those who are not too math saavy. As an undergraduate, I've found this book easy to follow with a good mixture of relevant examples and problems that are definitely geared toward social science majors (sociology, anthropology, psychology). The authors really try to reinforce concepts with learning checks and enlarged boxes that explain and take a closer look at specific key concepts.

A downside is that there are several mistakes in the print, such as graphs not matching up with the stated problem and explanation typos (e.g. "blacks worked 1.5 hrs more per week than blacks" in an example on race and employment hours). Some of it you can conjecture from the rest of the explanation but errors are still annoying to process when you're trying to learn something new.

All in all however, it is a user-friendly textbook and a plus is that it includes easy-to-follow SPSS tutorials in every chapter.