Profile for Alyssa Rushmore > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Alyssa Rushmore RSS Feed (New York, NY)

The Widow's Guide to Sex and Dating: A Novel
The Widow's Guide to Sex and Dating: A Novel
by Carole Radziwill
Price: $21.49
87 used & new from $0.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised to have loved this book, March 3, 2014
I wasn't expecting to enjoy this, thought it would be just another hastily rushed out book with a cute cover (the cover is very cute!) -- but it was really smart, well-paced, and had the most interesting cast of characters. There are so many fun cultural references placed throughout. Some people will get them, some won't. It feels like Radziwill had great fun writing it, I hope she's working on another.

Pilot [HD]
Pilot [HD]
DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the series!, February 9, 2014
Finally, finally, a comedy that feels authentic. Great acting, brilliant casting, and strong writing. Please, Amazon, make this show happen--I haven't seen anything this good in years.

Girls Like Us: Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon--and the Journey of a Generation
by Sheila Weller
Price: $13.86
168 used & new from $0.72

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant, nostalgic trip through time, December 1, 2009
If you grew up on the music of Carly Simon, Joni Mitchell and Carole King, you'll love this layered look at the women who created some of the most enduring and beloved hits in the history of music. If you didn't--and indeed, their heyday was a bit before my time--you'll want to run out and buy their albums as soon as you finish this fascinating tome, as I did, if only to listen to their music with a new sense of wonder. I was fascinated by these women, and I loved this book--Weller is a wonderful writer.

This One Is Mine: A Novel
This One Is Mine: A Novel
by Maria Semple
74 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written novel, and a page-turner, to boot, October 25, 2009
I was sucked into this fascinating story within the first few pages; then I couldn't put it down. What makes this story so compelling is Semple's ability to write about flawed characters with empathy. Even when the characters are making bad choices or doing morally questionable things, they still come across as human. That's a rare quality in a novel that takes on adultery, ambivalence about motherhood, the rich and famous, and LA's hanger-ons. It's a wonderful book; I hope it receives the attention it deserves.

I'm So Happy for You: A novel about best friends
I'm So Happy for You: A novel about best friends
by Lucinda Rosenfeld
Price: $12.59
172 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I've read in a long time, July 18, 2009
At first glance, this novel about the complexities of female friendship may seem like a light read--and it is, in the sense that it flies by (I read it in two days.) But underneath the surface, this is a sharp social satire about marriage, consumer culture and the special brand of competitiveness that can only exist between women. Highly recommend this read.

Nose Down, Eyes Up: A Novel
Nose Down, Eyes Up: A Novel
by Merrill Markoe
82 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, December 31, 2008
Merrill Markoe is consistently hilarious, and her latest doesn't disappoint. I couldn't put it down--it took me two days to read, tops--and I was still laughing hours after I turned the last page. The dog dialogue is particularly spot-on; as a dog owner, myself, I recognized everything the dogs said to be "true." It matched their behavior to a "T"! Highly recommend.

The Ministry of Special Cases
The Ministry of Special Cases
by Nathan Englander
170 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and beautifully written, June 5, 2007
This book blew me away: It was intense, historical, funny and deep. Once you start reading, just try putting it down. I know I couldn't. I just wish Mr. Englander had more novels in bookstores. I'm eagerly awaiting the next one.