Profile for Jodowa > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jodowa RSS Feed (Oslo)

Raven's End: A Tale from the Canadian Rockies
Raven's End: A Tale from the Canadian Rockies
by Ben Gadd
21 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read giving a glimpse of life through a raven's eye in British Colombia., May 4, 2013
I found this book through a movie about a ski guide in the Canadian Rockies. Quotes from the book were interspersed between scenes inspired me to look this up. And while it took a while to find since it was out of print, I finally found it a reasonable price. Raven's End is simply written, but still believable and enjoyable. The book is an anthropomorphic approach to animal life, particularly birds, in the wilderness of British Columbia. The book reminded me of Native American folklore with a mix of natural history, involving a mythical and somewhat philosophical description of the life and soul of a raven.

Things That Are
Things That Are
by Amy Leach
25 used & new from $5.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Peotic approach to Natural Science, May 4, 2013
This review is from: Things That Are (Hardcover)
While a few of the stories were perhaps overly written, I enjoyed the lyrical approach to natural science. A number of interesting anecdotes about the natural world, plants and animals. I read most of this on my commute and was able to read a couple stories each way. Sometimes I'd have to reread in order to understand what was actually being said, but otherwise an enjoyable read.

The Wildest Dream: Conquest of Everest
The Wildest Dream: Conquest of Everest
DVD ~ Liam Neeson (Narrator)
Price: $5.46
29 used & new from $2.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent portrayal of Mallory and Everest, January 5, 2012
I guess I wasn't paying enough attention at the beginning of the film, because I didn't catch that the initial scenes were from a second expedition to Everest for Conrad Anker. On his first expedition Anker found Mallory's remains and took a few items of historical significance, on the second his attempt was an attempt to try to recreate Mallory's last expedition and to attempt the "Second Step" without fixed ropes or ladders. While the general story, particularly the history of Mallory's own expedition and motives is interesting, but this film doesn't put as much weight on Mallory's climb. Anker's own story is less interesting. Anker does give a good depiction of the difficulties of climbing Everest even with modern equipment. However his attempt to recreate Mallory's fatal expedition could have been better. My two two main complaints are that Anker's attempt on the Second Step didn't really prove anything. Conditions on Everest are difficult to recreate 75 years later so it's difficult to make any conclusions about what Mallory was or wasn't capable of at the time. Secondly, Anker and Leo Houlding only used equipment based on Mallory's own to a limited extent on their attempt. Most of their climbing, including the difficult Second Step was done with modern equipment. All honor to Mallory for his attempt on Everest, but unfortunately this film didn't quite live up to expectations.

Mark™ the Mountain Guide
Mark™ the Mountain Guide
by Mark Seaton
24 used & new from $0.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun introduction to mountains and climbing, March 29, 2010
I bought this for my two year old as a way to share my love for the mountains and climbing to him in book form. We spend lot of time outdoors, but this is a way to bring these things indoors. A fun book as well as pretty credible when it comes to techniques and what not related to adventures in the mountains.

Northern California Bouldering (Supertopo)
Northern California Bouldering (Supertopo)
by Kevin Swift
Price: $26.95
24 used & new from $18.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overview of Bouldering in the region, March 29, 2010
My interest in this guidebook was mainly to get an overview of the best bouldering areas in the region, and not so much a detailed list of routes and grades. This book has been adequate for this and has led me to a few places that I otherwise might have missed on my travels through the region. This book does offer grades and a good list of routes for the areas, if that's what your interested in.