Profile for Chattooga Herper > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chattooga Herper "WS" RSS Feed (Chattooga River, SC)

Dragonflies and Damselflies of the East (Princeton Field Guides)
Dragonflies and Damselflies of the East (Princeton Field Guides)
by Dennis R. Paulson
Price: $23.11
45 used & new from $17.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Dragonflies and Damselflies of the East, January 25, 2012
Paulson's guide to Dragonflies and Damselflies of the East - paperback edition. I haven't seen the hardback edition so I can't compare them. At $75 bucks I would guess the differences are huge. The paperback guide is a good guide. I live near the junction of GA, SC and NC so this guide is very comprehensive for my area. However, I mean that only as a comprehensive list of Odes for my area. Field Guides are for the most part used to identify stuff. This guide is most useful for IDing captured specimens. I'm a no-netter - I don't believe I should kill anything just to ID it. I simply compare my photos with those in the guide in order to ID something. I then use the text to make the final identification. The photos in this publication are excellent but they have been much reduced in size - largest are 3½ inches wide. This reduction in print size greatly reduces the detail of the image - very disappointing. Without even seeing the hardback edition I would recommend it over the paperback. If you are an advanced or serious Odonater you will want the hardback as a great addition to your library. If you're a beginner or only mildly interested in Odes the paperback is more than enough to meet your needs - I think it's the best Ode field guide to date.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2012 4:23 PM PDT

Tamrac 5549 Adventure 9 Photo/Laptop Backpack (Red/Black)
Tamrac 5549 Adventure 9 Photo/Laptop Backpack (Red/Black)
5 used & new from $160.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Tamrac 5549 Adventure 9 Photo/Laptop Backpack (Red/Black), March 16, 2010
I give the TAMRAC - 5549 Adventure 9 Photo/Computer Backpack five stars but that doesn't mean it's the best one out there. I do believe it's one of the best for the money. For some reason the red/black one was much cheaper than the gray/black one. I'm not particularly fond of red backpacks but the color isn't important. The computer compartment is very large, especially for my little 11.6 inch netbook; leaves room for some paperwork. Most all photo-pack ads show an SLR in the camera gear compartment. I very rarely carry my camera in my backpack. It's usually attached to a beefy L-lens that's mounted on a tripod. Yes, I hike with a camera mounted tripod. In the rare instances that I've hiked with a camera in this pack I've had no trouble finding room for it. I day hike in wilderness areas several times a week and I've found that the more you use this pack the better you learn to pack it. It will really hold a lot although that's not your first impression. I weigh my loaded pack before each hike. With this pack I normally hike with a total weight of 15 to 18 pounds, often 20 to 21 pounds and every now and then up to 25 pounds. Most people consider that heavy for a day hike but big lenses add up quickly. I carry a water bottle in one side pocket and a large folding umbrella in the other. These side pockets are quite shallow so I tie things in with a strong string. I fold a small bath towel length-wise, loop it through the carrying handle and let it hang down the back of the pack. I'm used to lacing stuff to the back of my pack. Many of my packs have extra eyelets sown onto them - I've added two to this one. I have a small karabiner in each small eyelet, two on each side of the pack. The string is laced diagonally forming an X on the back of the pack - holds water bottle, umbrella and towel. I have a glasses case attached to the chest strap and a small GPS case attached to the left strap up near shoulder level. I have no use for the system that has the little red flags - spare batteries and SD cards but the little pockets are nice. BTW - I also have an Adventure 6 and an Adventure 7 - both great packs. All three of these packs are excellent but not designed for rapid extraction of their contents - I don't mind this since I almost always hike with my camera around my neck or on a tripod. TAMRAC is quality U.S. made stuff and competes well with much higher priced gear.

Opteka ET-83II Lens Hood for Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Lens
Opteka ET-83II Lens Hood for Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Lens

4.0 out of 5 stars Works OK, August 25, 2009
As for flare, this hood works the same as the high priced Canon hood. It has the feel, rigidity and ring (if you thump it) of cheaper plastic. It lacks the crisp click produced when a Canon hood is locked into place. I'm a hiker - I believe this hood might easily be dislodged from the lens if you do much bushwhacking through thick vegetation. I would much prefer the Canon hood but these minor deficiencies aren't enough to make me cough up the extra cash. This is the only non-Canon hood I've tried so I can't compare it to other 3rd party hoods.

Acer Aspire One AO751h-1522 11.6-Inch Netbook Sleeve Case - Dual-Pocket Black
Acer Aspire One AO751h-1522 11.6-Inch Netbook Sleeve Case - Dual-Pocket Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly, August 25, 2009
This netbook sleeve works perfectly with my Acer 11.6 inch netbook. I give it a 5 star rating. If you want a case with a carrying handle don't get this one. Not sure where the company is coming from with there "LIVE GREEN" thing. As a of bonus they include a green rubber band that has "LIVE (logo) GREEN" on it. It's like the bands that hold the broccoli stems together in the vegetable market. Apparently they want you to live green but send you (as a bonus mind you) an item that has no use what-so-ever.

Opteka Wireless Radio Remote Release for Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT, XTi, XS, XSi, T1i, T2i, 60D, G10 & G11 Digital SLR Cameras (650' Range)

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, August 25, 2009
This wireless shutter release works well - as advertised. It is quality plastic, looks good and is well designed. I paid more for this product than I wanted to. In the past I've constructed radio controls for my cameras using parts from the cheap RC toy cars you find in department stores - usually less than $20 total - does take some construction time but quite easy for most hobbyists familiar with that type of gear. This is the only over-the-counter RC shutter release I've tried. I gave it 4 stars for the following reasons. Their ads don't mention the battery types - the receiver uses a CR-2 Lithium battery, transmitter uses a 23A battery (also known as A23). Comes with batteries. Both these batteries are fairly cheap and can be found in the camera department at Wal-Mart but I don't think you will find them in convenience stores - that's OK with me. The transmitter has its battery already installed - to replace it you will need a jeweler's Philip head screwdriver. The receiver does have a flip-open battery compartment. The button on the transmitter doesn't have the tactile feel of the focus-then-release button of your camera - takes a little getting use to but works OK. If you want time delay after you press the button you will need to set this on your camera - not available on the transmitter. One other point - the transmitter or receiver shouldn't be carried in your pocket with other items. They can be turned on if something presses against the ON button. This is likely only in rather tight pockets such as jeans or a tightly packed purse or backpack. I have no real problem with this device and am quite satisfied with it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 25, 2009 4:06 PM PDT

GGS LCD Protector glass for CANON EOS 450D 500D T1i XSi
GGS LCD Protector glass for CANON EOS 450D 500D T1i XSi
Offered by KincaidGlobalTrade (USA)
Price: $2.50
9 used & new from $2.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, August 7, 2009
Great product, best way to protect your screen, super quality, only enhances the looks of your camera. Super fast shipping, excellent price. Can be a little aggravating replacing a broken screen protector. Takes some effort to remove the sticky stuff (like removing a sticky price tag). Still the best way to go.

Acer Aspire One AO751h-1522 11.6-Inch Blue Netbook - 8 Hour Battery Life
Acer Aspire One AO751h-1522 11.6-Inch Blue Netbook - 8 Hour Battery Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine, August 6, 2009
Great machine. Best bang for the buck. Size is perfect for backpack/school pack. Screen and keyboard size - excellent, not too small. Bright screen. No sweat battery life. Should come with Vista Home Premium, less bloat ware. Rating is actually 4.9
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 9, 2009 1:23 AM PDT

A Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians: Eastern and Central North America (Peterson Field Guides)
by Roger Conant
Price: $13.77
102 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars herper's bible, December 28, 2008
By far the best guide for the amateur or professional. No other guide can come close to this one. No fluff, no wasted space. It's been around since 1958 - frequently updated and appended. I can't count how many copies I've acquired over the years.

Amphibians and Reptiles of Georgia
Amphibians and Reptiles of Georgia
by J. Whitfield Gibbons
Price: $30.19
34 used & new from $20.14

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, December 28, 2008
I eagerly added this book to my collection but was disappointed in its brevity in several areas, especially the topic of subspecies. Subspecies, race or geographical variation is an important element of herpetology. Comprehensive it is not. Their format also leaves a lot of wasted space. A nice looking book.