Profile for J. Holcombe > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 26

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Holcombe RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
PTV Protective Rubber Cover Case for iPhone 4,iPhone 4s Cases
PTV Protective Rubber Cover Case for iPhone 4,iPhone 4s Cases
Offered by UCMDA
Price: $3.99
34 used & new from $1.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality case, July 13, 2015
I bought this as a gift for my friend and the quality seems high. The price was very affordable and when she dropped her iPhone face-up on a tile floor, the phone and the case were both completely undamaged. It arrived quickly and she really liked her gift! Also, the print on the back of the case does not seem to be rubbing off, so we think the case is made well and I'm sure it's well worth what I paid.

HP 11-2010nr 11.6-Inch Chromebook (Snow White)
HP 11-2010nr 11.6-Inch Chromebook (Snow White)
Offered by J&JWC Group (NO Tax)
Price: $209.95
27 used & new from $131.68

4.0 out of 5 stars Budget laptop with premium feel and a few quirks, July 13, 2015
In order to give some perspective, I use the Chromebook for some light word processing, email, watching videos, and browsing the web. For my primary computer, I use an 11-inch Mac. Surprisingly, I have found that I am using the Chromebook more than I use the Mac.

Pros:
-Battery life. While the product description lists 6.25 hours of battery life, I have found that my machine yields quite a bit more than that. When used for checking email and with the screen at low brightness, mine lasts for about 8 hours.
-Design. I think it feels pretty solid and refined considering its price point. The soft-touch paint helps it feel less plasticky and of higher quality than some other laptops at its price point. The large trackpad and chiclet style keys give it a premium look and feel compared to other budget laptops.
-Keyboard. The keys are well-spaced, the keyboard is full-size, and the keys have enough travel and don't feel loose or cheap when typing. It has the same feel while typing that some of the other HP laptops have, and it feels especially like the Stream laptops and identical to the Chromebook 14. However, I'm not a fan of the small size of the top row of keys.
-Price. I got it, unused from WarehouseDeals, for nınety, which I consider to be a pretty good value given that it is the previous generation.

Cons:
-Heat. When used on your lap, it starts to generate quite a bit of heat since it does not have a fan. While this allows it to operate quieter, it can feel hot to the touch after only half an hour or so of use in my experience.
-Charging system. When I received it, the OEM HP charger did not function at all. I guess this is a quality control issue. Also, while it is convenient that it uses the same charger as phones and tablets, HP's chargers seem to be unreliable and there was a recall issued for the charger. Also, when I use a phone charger, it takes up to ten hours to fully charge and will charge even slower while in use.
-Processing power. Other Chromebooks at the same price point deliver better performance. While simply navigating the web is not an issue, going on YouTube with a few other tabs open produces a slowdown and videos don't always play smoothly. However, it does start up quickly and scrolling is smooth.
-Gets dirty easily!

All in all, I think this would make a good replacement for a Windows computer that is mainly only used for surfing and word processing. It would also be good for kids to use for school, games, and homework. Since it is thin and light (comparable in size and weight to an 11-inch MacBook Air), it would make a good computer for someone who travels a lot and is on a budget.

Saucony Men's Ride 6 Viziglo Running Shoe,Silver/Viziorange/Citron,11.5 M US
Saucony Men's Ride 6 Viziglo Running Shoe,Silver/Viziorange/Citron,11.5 M US
Offered by Road Runner Sports
Price: $120.00

5.0 out of 5 stars My Go-To Long Distance Trainers, February 9, 2015
These are my go-to running shoes for runs of 5 miles and longer. The heel-toe offset is 8mm, but with the design of the shoes it feels more like 6mm. These are neutral shoes with a good amount of cushioning. If you need compensation for over-pronation or stability issues, these may not be the shoes for you. If you want more cushioning and a higher degree of support and stability, you should probably try the Saucony Guide. I have found the longevity of these shoes to be very good; I have 800 miles or so on my current pair of Ride 6, and they still seem to have their cushion and springiness. The Viziglo color is nice, it is very reflective so running in the dark is not an issue at all. It's mostly a reflective silver color, and it's bright but not overpowering. After 800 miles worth of runs averaging 7-8mi each, done mainly on trails and pavement, the outsole (bottom) is noticeably worn but the shoe isn't torn or damaged. No knee, ankle, or other problems to report. Of course, your running form, stride efficiency, weight, and other factors will influence whether these shoes complement your personal biomechanics. Personally, I have no complaints. Try these shoes, you won't be disappointed!

Apple iBook G3 500Mhz 128MB 10Gb CDROM 12.1'' OS X OFFICE 2004
Apple iBook G3 500Mhz 128MB 10Gb CDROM 12.1'' OS X OFFICE 2004
4 used & new from $50.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Docs, but Not for the Power User, February 9, 2015
This laptop is a good fit for someone who just needs to use it for document editing, because it works great with Microsoft Office 2004. It works well when checking email and it has a great keyboard with a typing experience as good as the newer MacBooks. The screen resolution is not fantastic, but it was very good for its time. Text is readable even at small font sizes and images do not look too pixelated or grainy. It runs on MacOS 10.4.11 'Tiger', which is stable, smooth, and well-optimized despite the dated hardware. There is a FireWire port, 2 USB 1.1 ports (the newer models, 'iBook G4' with the white keyboards have USB 2.0), display port, ethernet connector, standard 3.5mm headphone jack, and a phone line connector, for use with older dial-up connections. This leaves it compatible with many of the devices on the market today, but don't expect the fastest data rates. Unlike the newer MacBook computers from 2006 to the present, this laptop uses a PowerPC processor, which is incompatible with the newest Macintosh software, applications, and peripherals. What many do not understand is that this is a 15 year old computer, and can more or less only be expected to function as such. For example, it can load Amazon, Ebay, Wikipedia, and other websites which are not graphics-intensive with no problem. It takes about 5 seconds to load one of these sites, whereas a newer Mac takes 1 second or less. It uses an 802.11B Airport card, which means that it is only able to connect to networks which run under WEP security are unsecured. Many of the newest routers connect with WPA2 security. If you have one of these networks, you will have to connect this computer to your router with an ethernet cord rather than wirelessly. If you have WEP security or no security on your router, this will connect fine. It does not have the capability to play YouTube videos and it struggles to load sites which use Flash. I am typing this review using my iBook G3, 500mhz, and it does not miss letters or stutter while I type. All in all, go for this awesome laptop if you know its limitations and don't expect it to be a speed demon. This would make a good computer for a student to use

Parker QuinkFlow Ink Refill for Ballpoint Pens, Fine Point, Black (1782467)
Parker QuinkFlow Ink Refill for Ballpoint Pens, Fine Point, Black (1782467)
Price: $4.99
31 used & new from $0.02

4.0 out of 5 stars worked great and wrote very smoothly, January 28, 2015
This pen refill, which I used in my normal black Parker Jotter, worked great and wrote very smoothly. It went dead fairly quickly for a ballpoint pen, and one single refill is pretty pricey.

Saucony Men's Endorphin LD3 Track Shoe,White/Black/Gold,12 M US
Saucony Men's Endorphin LD3 Track Shoe,White/Black/Gold,12 M US

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome elite distance track spike, November 29, 2014
I'm in grade 11 and I've been running with these shoes since my sophomore year. I've used these spikes for indoor track and outdoor track and achieved PRs in the 3200, 1600, 800, and 400. I mainly race in the 3200 and these spikes are prefect for that distance. They lack the aggressiveness of middle-distance spikes, so these would be best for any race 1600m and longer. These are essentially a competitor to the Nike Zoom Matumbo spikes, but from a value standpoint, these are so much better! I wouldn't suggest using them for anything but racing, as they have little support and no cushioning in order to decrease weight. At less than 3oz, these are practically weightless! I also like the way they look... You know what they say... When you look fast, you feel fast, then you are fast. If you're a long distance runner, get these spikes!!

Orange iPearl mCover Hard Shell Case for 11.6" Acer C720 C720P C740 series ChromeBook Laptop (NOT compatible with NEWER 11.6" Acer Chromebook 11 CB3-111 series laptop)
Offered by iPearl-Inc
Price: $17.99
2 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice!, August 25, 2014
Bought this to protect a school-issued laptop that I wouldn't be able to afford to replace if it broke. Looked for this brand of cover for my school-issued Chromebook since the iPearl cover for my MacBook Air was inexpensive and protected the laptop very well. This one is of the same quality. There are little, plastic "feet" on the underside which prop the computer up at a slight angle for easier typing and screen reading. I don't know about drop protection, but this case will definitely prevent me from getting the inevitable scratches and scuffs on the plastic computer. I also really like the look of the orange cover over the black laptop. It's a nice contrast.
5 Stars!

Panasonic RPHJE120S In-Ear Headphone, Silver
Panasonic RPHJE120S In-Ear Headphone, Silver
Price: $6.40
74 used & new from $5.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous Headphones for the Price, December 26, 2013
For less than ten USD, these are very nice headphones! The sound is very respectable; the bass is good and so are the middles and highs. They come with three different sizes of the little ear tips, so make sure you find the ones which best fit the size of your ears. They last a very long time as well. I use them while running with my iPod shuffle and they rock!

$1.00 Face Value 90% Silver Washington Quarters
$1.00 Face Value 90% Silver Washington Quarters

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Deal on Silver Quarters, December 26, 2013
These silver quarters are the best deal on silver coins on Amazon. I received a 1948-D (less common), a 1950 (common), a 1960-D (common), and a 1964 (very common). They were all in pretty nice condition, not cleaned, and not scratched. A silver quarter has 0.18oz of pure silver in it. Four of these quarters come close to three-fourths of an ounce of pure silver. These would make an awesome gift for any coin collector or a boon to any silver stockpile. These are a definite must-buy for anyone interested in coins or silver... you won't be disappointed!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Cartridge for the Price, December 25, 2013
When using a print cartridge, people usually look for many things: longevity, print quality, installation cleanliness, and expense. For genuine cartridges straight from the manufacturer, it's pretty easy to know what you'll be getting. With numerous different sellers retailing remanufactured toners, however, it's a little more difficult to get the best cartridge for the best deal. With that being said, I've purchased two of the cartridges from cartridgexpress over the past year, and I haven't been dissatisfied. I use my printer to print schoolwork and many other miscellaneous prints (no photos, just BW text), so it's running almost every day. I print an average of about 150 pages a month.

Longevity compared to HP - 10/10.
I have printed 2,014 pages using my recent remanufactured cartridge, and it's just about running out. HP cartridges are rated for 1,600 pages, so you can expect a comparable amount from either the HP or the remanufactured. I keep my printer's settings down to favor toner conservation.

Print Quality - 7/10
The cartridge prints clear, sharp text. However, there is always a gray, hazy background on the pages, although it's hard to see and certainly nothing distracting. The text itself is a lighter shade of black than when printed with the original cartridge. Since I don't print publications and teachers are the only other people reading my prints, it's no big deal. When the cartridge starts to run out, light gray streaks will appear on the printouts, usually towards the side. Nothing obstructive, though. This is typical for any sort of remanufactured cartridge.

Installation Cleanliness - 9/10
The cartridge installs easily, but the packing allows the cartridge to slide and move around within the box. Not a big deal for me; my cartridge came out fine. Once it's in the printer, installation is easy. The printer will recognize the cartridge as an acceptable cartridge, although it won't give an accurate "supplies status" reading if you try to check how much toner is left.

Price - 10/10
The cartridges are only 1/3 the price of HP's original toners, even including the shipping charge. Given the minor reduction in print quality, it's still a deal. For even more savings, buy a two-pack if you use your printer heavily.

Overall Score - 9/10. It's a nice cartridge for the price. Hope this review helped!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3