Profile for Amy E. Wilson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amy E. Wilson RSS Feed

Now Eat This! Italian: Favorite Dishes from the Real Mamas of Italy--All Under 350 Calories
by Rocco DiSpirito
Price: $16.54
96 used & new from $2.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Homage to Classic Italian, Updated for Modern Healthy Eating, September 25, 2012
I got my copy of Now Eat This: Italian straight from Rocco's NYC lunch truck, being far too impatient to wait for delivery (Sorry, Amazon...). I was instantly struck by how beautiful this book is. Seriously. Makes me want to go to Italy. NOW. I was almost afraid to cook with it, it's so pretty. Never thought I'd say that about a cookbook, but there you go. Big kudos to the production folks. (And the Mamas are just adorable. I gotta get me an Italian Mama!! Heck, I'll settle for an Italian Mama-in-law...)

Once I stopped ogling the pretty pictures of Italy (and the author...), the real drooling began. So many great recipes are included here. I almost don't even know where to start! Last night I made the Pasta e Fagioli soup and it was seriously the best soup I've ever made. It's unbelieveable how much flavor you can get from just a little bit of pancetta and still end up with an incredibly healthy, filling soup. Also, Rocco is speaking the TRUTH when he insists you use dried beans instead of canned. Beacause of this recipe, I am NEVER cooking soup with canned beans ever again! Using dried beans makes such a huge difference to the overall body of the soup. Lesson learned, Chef!

That's just the tip of the iceberg. I am looking forward to learning how to make my own pasta and fresh mozzarella using Rocco's step-by-step instructions (with pictures!). Now Eat this: Italian is not just a diet cookbook, it's a way to make healthy Italian cooking accessible to the average home cook. All the flavor you love from the Italian classics are acheivable in your own kitchen thanks to the easy-to-follow instructions. Get this book! Your tastebuds (and waistline!) will thank you!