Profile for Critical Reviewer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 83

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Critical Reviewer RSS Feed (San Mateo, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Luminol Spray, 2 Oz.
Luminol Spray, 2 Oz.

5.0 out of 5 stars You actually don't have to use the whole thing in one go, November 22, 2014
Worked excellently. I bought this because I was spitting out blood all the time. The times where I could taste blood but not see it in my sputum made me wonder if blood was really there. I needed to collect some empirical evidence to convince myself, and my doctors, that I really did have blood in my spit even though one couldn't see it. And that, this blood was nearly always present.

The problem, though, with the spray kit is that one is led to believe that one needs to use the entire kit in one go. You don't need to. I was able to do some calculations to weigh out proportional amounts of liquid to dry chemicals to create the right concentration of liquid. However, in doing this, I eventually found that one could just simply guess and eye ball it. The resulting solution is still able to detect blood very well.

So far, I've made 10+ small amounts of luminol solutions of various concentrations (I've been mostly doing it by eyeballing the measured amounts). They all work well with detecting trace amounts of blood from a known sample (pin prick on my knuckles swiped on a dish). I just use about half a teaspoon of liquid and maybe 20 flakes of luminol. I stir it up, and then I started testing my sputum for blood.

So, luminol glows more or less depending on the concentration of the blood in the solution. If there are trace amounts of blood in a large amount of liquid with some luminol, the solution will glow faintly. If there is trace amounts of blood in no amount of liquid except the luminol solution, it will grow brighter. Hence, the glow's intensity is based on concentration of blood. Regardless, if there is no blood, it will not glow.

So, I tested a control sample, my wife's spit. It didn't glow at all. I tested my spit, it was glowing very faintly, but it was definitely glowing compared to control. When I spit with slight streaks of blood, the glow from the added luminol was much brighter and noticeable, as per earlier paragraph. This was the evidence I needed to convince myself that there was definitely blood in my spit even though I could not see it.

Anyways, I still have a lot of luminol left. I will probably use it again for future experiments. And, the good news is, I finally located the source of the blood in my spit (which took me 6 months to figure out). It wasn't something like cancer, thank goodness, but gum disease around one tooth/crown. After I've been cleaning it out twice a day with light flossing, it has stopped streaking blood along the floss. And, I no longer see blood in my spit. But, we'll see. I'll give it a month and a dentist appt. to really be sure.

Ikea 301.841.73 Holmo 46-Inch Floor Lamp, White
Ikea 301.841.73 Holmo 46-Inch Floor Lamp, White
Offered by FURNISHPORTAL
Price: $17.15
22 used & new from $11.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with the G7 LED bulbs, November 22, 2014
It was actually much smaller than I was expecting. But, still, for the price, it was great. I used it with the G7 led bulb, and I had to bend out the metal frame to fit the bulb. But, it all worked. And, it gave the juice needed to power up the bulb.

Mohu Leaf 50 Amplified Indoor Antenna
Mohu Leaf 50 Amplified Indoor Antenna
Price: $69.88
19 used & new from $50.00

1.0 out of 5 stars makes it worse, and I see no available stations, November 6, 2014
I didn't buy this on Amazon but Rakuten. Anyways, this did nothing for me. I checked TVfool and AntennaWeb.com. Apparently, I should have been able to get 3 digital HDTV channels no problem with a multidirectional small indoor antenna. This thing is amplified, so I should be able to get a few of the "iffier" stations. In fact, some of these iffier stations are less than 20 miles away. I don't understand why they would be iffy. Anyways, regardless, I try the antenna and I get NOTHING. Unamplified, I sort of see 2 channels come through but very broken and static-y. Amplified, however, makes it worse, and I see no available stations.

So, buy at your own risk. I think this will work if you're in a large metropolitan area. I live in a smaller city of about 200k people. The county has about 300k. The antennas are farther away.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2014 4:08 AM PST

Mini Cree Led Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Light Lamp
Mini Cree Led Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Light Lamp
Offered by KeyZone
Price: $3.81
101 used & new from $1.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Owned four of these lights over the years, October 26, 2014
I've had a bunch of these lights the past few years. They've all have either broke or the switching mechanism between modes is now stuck in one mode. The only working light I think is on the lowest lumen mode. Which sucks because I can't see a damn thing with the light nowadays.

Bonavita BV4000ID Porcelain Immersion Coffee Dripper
Bonavita BV4000ID Porcelain Immersion Coffee Dripper
Offered by TopsApplianceCity
Price: $40.99
6 used & new from $39.95

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good., October 25, 2014
I've been using the Clever Coffee Dripper for over 4 years. We went through two of them and both eventually ended up cracking and leaking. I babied the second CCD by not doing any hot brews and cold rinses (hot/cold cycle will cause plastics to crack). After the second one in 4 years, I decided we needed something more reliable and not plastic.

So far, I bought two of these things. I bought the normal base and the wide base. My mother in law liked the one we had so much, we gave it to her and bought the wide base. Personally, I like the normal base better since it has legs that prevent it from sliding over the coffee cup's opening. But, regardless, both are good. It brews just as well as the CCD, maybe even better since it holds hotter temps for longer periods. The CCD would lose temp quicker, and after 4 minutes, the coffee temps measured by a ThermaPen would be around 175F. In the Bonavita, I get around 182F. Not drastically different, but better. With a pre-heated Bonavita, though, I get around 185F. So, it holds better temps for longer. I also really like the plunging mechanism on the Bonavita. On my old CCD, eventually, the seal plunge mechanism wouldn't seat properly. This would cause the CCD to leak coffee out of the bottom plunger, and I would lose several oz's of coffee. With the Bonavita, I doubt this will ever happen since the locking mechanism is tight and manual. And, even if it did, one could easily unscrew the bottom apparatus and fix this with a new part. You couldn't do that with the CCD.

Anyways, I will edit this post in 2 years to update this. Hopefully by then, the Bonavita will still be in good shape. Both of my CCD's died and cracked by then.

Bonavita Wide Base Porcelain Immersion Dripper
Bonavita Wide Base Porcelain Immersion Dripper
Price: $36.99
4 used & new from $35.14

1.0 out of 5 stars This model has serious problems., October 25, 2014

So far, I bought two of these things. I bought the normal base and the wide base. My mother in law liked the one we had so much, we gave it to her and bought the wide base. Personally, I like the normal base better since it has legs that prevent it from sliding over the coffee cup's opening. The biggest problem with the wide base is that somehow, I still can't figure it out, when the coffee is flowing from the drip mechanism, it will eventually flow to the sides and drip down along the side of your coffee mug. Because the base is so wide, the coffee is leaked towards the edges. It invariably always leads to having to wipe down your coffee mug and counter tops from leaked coffee.

I am hoping that Bonavita responds to this. I would love to get an exchange for the normal base, since I can't seem to recall having this issue with it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2014 8:32 AM PST

G7 Power Reno LED 15W (75W) 1100 Lumen BR30 Recessed Light Bulb, Dimmable 3000K Soft White Light
Offered by G7 Power
Price: $20.95
2 used & new from $13.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly bright. Instant on., October 25, 2014
I bought this to replace a regular 75W incandescent reflector shaped light bulb that was rated "miser". The bulb was in an IKEA brand floor lamp that we used to light up the living room. The previous bulb we used was very soft in color and not very bright. It was probably 500-600 lumens. When I put in the new LED bulb, I asked my wife to come over for us to see the difference in the lighting. We tried the old bulb first and turned it on at night. Then I swapped in the new bulb and turned on the light. We both literally went, "WOW..." It was such a huge difference in terms of lumen output that we were shocked. It easily lights up the whole living room and my wife is now able to read in there without difficulties.

I absolutely love this bulb. I am looking at buying another one for her room.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2014 9:16 AM PDT

No One Else Can Have You
No One Else Can Have You
by Kathleen Hale
Price: $13.86
78 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun book. I'm not a YA or YA reader, October 18, 2014
Fun book. I'm not a YA or YA reader, but I saw this at the book store and read it there. Then, I got hooked on it and kept reading it. The pacing isn't the best, but by the end I was at the book store till they closed trying to finish the book. I went back the next day to finish it.

The High Blood Pressure Solution: A Scientifically Proven Program for Preventing Strokes and Heart Disease
by Richard Moore MD PhD
Price: $13.79
152 used & new from $4.70

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not help me out, and only made things worse., October 17, 2014
Ok, I bought this book a LONG time ago, and I went through a long arduous journey of resolving my hypertension--over 10 years now. It all started when I decided to try one of those automatic BP monitors at the drug store. I was 30, slim, athletic, and overall in good health. I took my BP, and it was really high (I think near 160 systolic). For someone like me, who is somewhat of a hypochondriac (well, not really, but I can get severe anxiety when it comes to health issues), it really worried me. I became a bit depressed, and started seeking help.

I went to a few doctors and had my BP taken. I would get anxious, depressed, and then get my BP taken. Sure enough, I would get high BP readings. I then went to a few cardiologists and they said that I probably have white coat hypertension. I started taking my heart rate before getting my BP done with a Polar heart rate monitor, and my heart rate would always sky rocket over 100 BPM. Anyways, I decided to seek other routes of information and advice. I bought this book. I bought another book. I went to a clinic held by a woman who has high BP herself for advice. I started exercising more, but I started over doing it. My type A personality and need to control my destiny made it worse. I would run like crazy. I would keep pushing myself during runs, burning myself out and making me even more depressed. I would then take BP readings at home, and contrary to white coat hypertension claims that this only happens in a clinical setting (I can assure you this is wrong, it can happen whenever you get anxiety), and I would get elevated BP readings of 150 over 80. This cycle just made things worse for me since I figured the exercising was not helping and that genetically, I was predisposed to high BP (it runs in my family).

So, after a few years of this, I decided to get a stress echocardiogram. My cardiologist did an EKG, and BP, and sure enough, because of my crazy anxiety about this, my EKG and heart rate were totally screwed up. So was my BP. He said, "Ok, we really need to do this test." I do the stress test, and I pass with flying colors. The ultrasound me, and my carotid is totally fine. He says, you're heart is completely fine, just take some beta blockers.

I started on beta blockers and although this lowers my heart rate, it doesn't do a damn thing for my blood pressure. Along the way, I read this book, and I follow its dietary advice and all these other things. Still doesn't do a damn thing. I decide to self medicate. My dad is on anti-hypertensives. He's on a loop diuretic. I take a small dosage for a week to see if it helps. That doesn't do a damn thing either. So, I'm pretty much at my wits end. Finally, I make connections over the years to see that for me, the BP was all mental.

What this book doesn't tell you is that

1) white coat hypertension is real and can be dramatic
2) anxiety can play a huge part in elevated BP readings even at home
3) hypochondriacs are probably more prone to 2)
4) the mind is just as much in control of systemic BP as your arteries and heart

I had to learn this all on my own. It took several years after the fact, but eventually, I learned that no matter what, I will always get high readings at the doctors or clinics. I can already feel the anxiety rising up from my stomach as they do this. I just tell the clinicians to not even bother anymore. At home, I learn to relax and not care any more. It took a long time, but the mental aspect needed some over coming. How did I over come this? At first, it was when I started doing full body strength training. My body was really sore, but it made me feel good. Whenever I get that extremely achy, sore muscle feel from strength training, my mind becomes very relaxed and peaceful. I noticed that whenever I got like this, my BP readings at home would be super low. Like, under 110 systolic and 70 diastolic. Over time, I learned to relax before taking my BP. I learned that BP changes often and quickly, so I usually sit for 5 to 10 minutes doing things on the computer, just relaxing, and then taking my BP. I take my BP in the morning before coffee, in the afternoon, and at night.

After 10 years, I didn't learn to control my BP, I learned how to take my BP readings. Nowadays, my BP fluctuates anywhere from below 110 to 130 systolic, depending on the time and day. I don't stress over it. But, this book definitely did not help me sort this out in my quest to figure out what was wrong with my BP. It just gave me a bunch of physiology about BP, and fear mongering, and standard stuff to controlling BP that we already know: lower weight, change diet, stop smoking, cut out alcohol, etc... It's really nothing new.

Zyliss Susi DeLuxe Garlic Press
Zyliss Susi DeLuxe Garlic Press

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, October 17, 2014
The best garlic press I have ever used.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9