ARRAY(0x94ed89a8)

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

GT RSS Feed (Texas, USA)

Teavana Earl Grey Creme Loose-Leaf Black Tea, 8oz
Teavana Earl Grey Creme Loose-Leaf Black Tea, 8oz
Offered by Gongfu Tea
Price: $24.66
4 used & new from $19.92

2.0 out of 5 stars Teavana changed the recipe!, April 26, 2013
They have changed the recipe for this tea since 2012!

Note: the photo that is shown for this product as of April 2013 is not correct -- the picture is of the old recipe for the Earl Grey Creme, which contained blue cornflowers. The new recipe contains (yellow) marigold petals instead of the cornflowers, and it also includes lime peel. The new ingredients are listed as: black tea, flavoring (bergamot, vanilla, cream, lime), marigold petals.

I'm not saying that the new recipe is worse or better (although I personally don't like it as much), but it is misleading to show an incorrect photo of the item for sale.

Tokyo on Foot: Travels in the City's Most Colorful Neighborhoods
Tokyo on Foot: Travels in the City's Most Colorful Neighborhoods
by Florent Chavouet
Price: $16.87
98 used & new from $9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful travel sketchbook, April 30, 2012
As other reviews have stated, this is not a guidebook in the traditional sense. But it is a delightful look at bits and pieces of Tokyo -- exactly what a travel diary should be. When you travel somewhere for the first time, you see all kinds of things that stand out ... those things that begin to look "normal" after a while and fade into the background. Keeping a travel diary is a great way to keep those initial impressions fresh, and this one is fascinating to read, especially with all the beautiful sketches.

As to construction -- the book feels very nice in the hand. It has a coated cover with an almost waxy, matte finish and the pages are thick enough to feel substantial. The printing is also very nice. It looks great enough to keep out on the coffee table, which is also convenient for dipping into the book on a random page when I have a few minutes to kill.

As Always, Julia: The Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto
As Always, Julia: The Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto
by Julia Child
Price: $19.74
221 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to read a little at a time, February 3, 2011
When reading other books about Julia Child (or watching movies based on said books), the process behind creating her book Mastering the Art of French Cooking (MTAOFC) is sketched out, so I had an idea of how she went about it. But what those other books didn't reveal was much of the internal pressures and doubts that Julia had along the way. "As Always, Julia: The Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto" gives exactly that kind of personal perspective, and I found it a fascinating read.

Being composed of epistles, there is not always a smooth chronological flow to the book ... I found it difficult to read in one sitting, but I did enjoy dipping into it for a few letters at a time. Since their letters were often separated by weeks or months in real life, taking breaks between reading them seemed natural.

I also enjoyed Julia and Avis's insights into the politics and culture of their era, which are sprinkled throughout. They both had strong opinions about the McCarthy hearings and politics, and they were very frank about sharing those opinions with each other. I love they way they refer to newly married women in the kitchen as "brides," and talk about how much worse their cooking was when they themselves had been brides. Avis's unfailing enthusiam about MTAOFC spurs Julia on through her periods of discouragement and doubt, and it seems clear that the cookbook would never have been published without both of these women working for it.

I recommend this book to anyone who wants to delve deeper into Julia Child's life; it is a treat to read her words written not to a publisher for formal publication, but to a friend.

Pure Dessert
Pure Dessert
by Alice Medrich
Price: $24.79
74 used & new from $9.98

5.0 out of 5 stars My go-to dessert cookbook, November 9, 2010
This review is from: Pure Dessert (Hardcover)
I had the good fortune to attend a class that Alice Medrich was teaching in Dallas, TX a few years ago, and she was signing copies of this cookbook afterwards -- I bought a copy for myself and have been delighted with it!

Alice's recipes are thorough and precise, and each one that I have tried has been wonderful, meeting or usually exceeding my (admittedly high) expectations! The honey crisps are a particular favorite in my family because they are so easy and quick to make. I have several other dessert cookbooks in my collection, but they've been gathering dust since this one hit the shelf because I know that when I cook something from Pure Dessert it will be delicious and get rave reviews from everyone. This book is a gem!

Clif Bar Builder's Bar, 2.4-Ounce Bars, 12 Count
Clif Bar Builder's Bar, 2.4-Ounce Bars, 12 Count
Price: $16.39 - $151.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Only protein bar I've tried that doesn't make me sick!, November 11, 2009
I'm so glad that Clif branched out to make these protein bars; I tried using other protein bars when I work out or just to carry around as a handy source of protein when I am away from home, but my stomach always became upset after eating them. I don't know if it was the artificial sugars (my best guess) or something else, but I despaired of finding a handy source of protein that didn't make me sick. My husband brought these Clif Builder's Bars home one day for me to try since they are made from all natural ingredients (as far as I can tell from the label). It was a revelation! I think they are delicious and very filling, and my stomach is also very happy. Now I have something I can take to the gym or keep in my purse when I am out running errands and need something to eat besides fast food.

We eat all five flavors on a regular basis, and wish there were more - my two favorites are the chocolate mint and the vanilla almond. They are sweet but not overly-sweet, and the crispy/chewy texture is very satisfying.